Stasis beds are shit.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Cobby » Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 pm #493733

Just FYI I did not merge sleepers because I got morphined lol...
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current



User avatar
Shadowflame909
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Shadowflame909 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:54 pm #493737

After we get that anesthestetic tank buff. Gonna make a syndicate scapel that does toxin damage when it errors

Spoiler:
Image

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.


Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.


BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.


BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909


Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

User avatar
zxaber
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby zxaber » Thu May 16, 2019 8:48 pm #493999

Forcing anesthetics just sounds like complexity for the sake of complexity. It doesn't really add much; you'll have to go through the same steps and they take the same amount of time but if you don't happen to have a bottle of sleep gas then Whoops! Surgery is going to be an even bigger pain in the ass.

If you make surgery even more annoying, people will just do it less. It's already easier for the doctor to kill and clone a patient than to re-attach an arm. It's worse for the patient, who has to wait even longer, but the doc can do other things in the meantime. Why would we want to incentivize that even more?
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
Image
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"

User avatar
NecromancerAnne
 
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:55 pm
Location: Don't touch me, motherfucker...
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby NecromancerAnne » Fri May 17, 2019 2:36 am #494173

I mean, we could throw code solutions at it, but maybe consider that killing people just to clone them when alternatives exist and can be used should probably, actually, be a rule 1 break.

User avatar
Shadowflame909
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Shadowflame909 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:45 am #494175

We could always do the cloning nerf we've all been waiting for. Replacing the cloner with the experimental one at roundstart.

Bam, you're not always you when you die!1!

Spoiler:
Image

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.


Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.


BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.


BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909


Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

User avatar
cedarbridge
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby cedarbridge » Fri May 17, 2019 4:16 am #494200

Just clean up surgery to make doing it slightly less cumbersome, more interactive (complications that require special reactions between steps) instead of just being a memorized routine, and move reconstruction operations to earlier in the game.

Once that's done we can yank off the bandaid and remove cloning altogether.

User avatar
CDranzer
 
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 am
Byond Username: CDranzer

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby CDranzer » Sat May 18, 2019 3:34 am #494374

So I've managed to find a solution to this: Every time I want to be a doctor I just go play mediborg instead because they're better equipped in pretty much every way.

Infinite basic chems, a complete surgery set, all access, built in medical HUD, high powered flashlight, complete environmental immunity, and, with upgrades, a free defib and an armor-piercing hypospray! Not only that, if I run into an antagonist, they're more likely to convert me than kill me! The only downside is the inability to use the chem dispenser or pandemic, but on the upside, an upgraded hypospray can generate several chems that chemists never bother to mix.

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby confused rock » Sat May 18, 2019 6:15 am #494401

What a surprise, playing as a borg has some advantages at the cost of being a literal slave which doesn't have opposable thumbs.
mediborg is a wet fart over medbay when compared to a janiborg wiping the pee stains from after the regular janitor hung themself in inferiority
Image
Image
Image
Image

Dr_bee
 
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Dr_bee » Sat May 18, 2019 8:55 am #494412

confused rock wrote:What a surprise, playing as a borg has some advantages at the cost of being a literal slave which doesn't have opposable thumbs.
mediborg is a wet fart over medbay when compared to a janiborg wiping the pee stains from after the regular janitor hung themself in inferiority


I like to just order janiborgs to stop cleaning as a human janitor if they get uppity. That usually shuts them up good.

That is off topic, but funny.

Could Stasis beds and surgical tables be merged together? or let operating computers work on statis beds as well? It would make actual emergency surgery possible, considering fixing people with surgery during the defib window is currently nearly impossible.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Cobby » Sat May 18, 2019 2:57 pm #494425

CDranzer wrote:So I've managed to find a solution to this: Every time I want to be a doctor I just go play mediborg instead because they're better equipped in pretty much every way.

Infinite basic chems, a complete surgery set, all access, built in medical HUD, high powered flashlight, complete environmental immunity, and, with upgrades, a free defib and an armor-piercing hypospray! Not only that, if I run into an antagonist, they're more likely to convert me than kill me! The only downside is the inability to use the chem dispenser or pandemic, but on the upside, an upgraded hypospray can generate several chems that chemists never bother to mix.


This was a "solution" before stasis beds?

I mean thanks for pointing out that the medical borg dominates in the medical field I guess.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

Skillywatt
 
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Byond Username: Tiguar

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Skillywatt » Sat May 18, 2019 7:09 pm #494462

stasis beds make medical less "exciting" while also more of a hassle

rushing to defib a patient and then stabilize with meds was one of the actual fun things about medbay

you took out that excitement and replaced it with mundane activity

my thoughts

1. put sleepers back with only epinephrine
2. base sleepers slow progression of crit (take less oxy loss, toxin damage, lose less blood)
3. allow people to manually put chems in sleepers so you can create cocktails like before, they just have to be synthesized and added
4. require the sleepers in medbay to be "unlocked" by a doctor/cmo before they can be used to prevent tools from wasting all your chems and make people need docs (like the gulag teleporter)
5. upgraded sleepers double the healing potency of chems and have built in defibs

this is probably a huge hassle to code I realize but would be more fun for medbay than "throw corpse on stasis bed and get around to it"

Skillywatt
 
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Byond Username: Tiguar

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Skillywatt » Sat May 18, 2019 7:14 pm #494466

cedarbridge wrote:Just clean up surgery to make doing it slightly less cumbersome, more interactive (complications that require special reactions between steps) instead of just being a memorized routine, and move reconstruction operations to earlier in the game.

Once that's done we can yank off the bandaid and remove cloning altogether.

also all of this

User avatar
CDranzer
 
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 am
Byond Username: CDranzer

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby CDranzer » Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 am #494494

Cobby wrote:
CDranzer wrote:So I've managed to find a solution to this: Every time I want to be a doctor I just go play mediborg instead because they're better equipped in pretty much every way.

Infinite basic chems, a complete surgery set, all access, built in medical HUD, high powered flashlight, complete environmental immunity, and, with upgrades, a free defib and an armor-piercing hypospray! Not only that, if I run into an antagonist, they're more likely to convert me than kill me! The only downside is the inability to use the chem dispenser or pandemic, but on the upside, an upgraded hypospray can generate several chems that chemists never bother to mix.


This was a "solution" before stasis beds?

I mean thanks for pointing out that the medical borg dominates in the medical field I guess.

For mediborgs, the sleeper change means your hypospray is far more practically useful.
For doctors, the sleeper change means a greater dependence on things you have no control over.
The removal of sleepers made mediborgs more interesting, and doctors more shit.

Actually, I feel like that's a good summary of this entire change. It makes things more interesting for everybody except doctors, for whom it just increases suffering.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Cobby » Sun May 19, 2019 6:24 pm #494562

but you were always dependent on sleepers if not chem/roundstart supplies/etc.?

If chem is now a crutch only because this one machine was removed, doesn't that mean that machine itself was just as much as a crutch? I don't see how this removal made doctor "less fun" if you just switched from i'm now relying on the magic machine to i'm now relying on actual meds from the chemfridge/roundstart supplies.

I think I'd like the borg hypo removed anyways in favor of a chem dispenser module so they'll have to craft reagents as well or use the surgery.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

kopoba
 
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:09 am
Byond Username: Kopoba

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby kopoba » Sun May 19, 2019 6:25 pm #494563

Stasis bed are useless. You ether heal person or he already dead. Even if person die on your hands => defibs.
You never need stasis bed at all.

User avatar
zxaber
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby zxaber » Sun May 19, 2019 7:15 pm #494574

Cobby wrote:I think I'd like the borg hypo removed anyways in favor of a chem dispenser module so they'll have to craft reagents as well or use the surgery.


That would give them the full access of everything that the chem dispenser gives, right? Would be pretty neat for experienced borgs, if a bit harder to learn for people who've never played chem.

The question at that point would be what do you do with hacked modules, since they could make all the poisons they'd want with the chem dispenser. Maybe give hacked mediborgos the syndi e-saw?
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
Image
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"

User avatar
cedarbridge
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby cedarbridge » Sun May 19, 2019 7:16 pm #494575

zxaber wrote:
Cobby wrote:I think I'd like the borg hypo removed anyways in favor of a chem dispenser module so they'll have to craft reagents as well or use the surgery.


That would give them the full access of everything that the chem dispenser gives, right? Would be pretty neat for experienced borgs, if a bit harder to learn for people who've never played chem.

The question at that point would be what do you do with hacked modules, since they could make all the poisons they'd want with the chem dispenser. Maybe give hacked mediborgos the syndi e-saw?

Don't power creep the med borgs you mongs.

Dr_bee
 
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Dr_bee » Sun May 19, 2019 8:10 pm #494583

cedarbridge wrote:
zxaber wrote:
Cobby wrote:I think I'd like the borg hypo removed anyways in favor of a chem dispenser module so they'll have to craft reagents as well or use the surgery.


That would give them the full access of everything that the chem dispenser gives, right? Would be pretty neat for experienced borgs, if a bit harder to learn for people who've never played chem.

The question at that point would be what do you do with hacked modules, since they could make all the poisons they'd want with the chem dispenser. Maybe give hacked mediborgos the syndi e-saw?

Don't power creep the med borgs you mongs.


Other servers have a chemborg module for this stuff. Borgs can use chem dispensers on those servers with their beaker tools as well.

User avatar
wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby wesoda25 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:16 pm #494585

Stasis beds are good, but would be better if medbay had more roundstart chems. Like 25-50 of each roundstart sleeper chem on a counter next to the stasis bed or something.

User avatar
Nalzul
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Nalzul » Mon May 20, 2019 6:47 pm #494707

wesoda25 wrote:Stasis beds are good, but would be better if medbay had more roundstart chems. Like 25-50 of each roundstart sleeper chem on a counter next to the stasis bed or something.

Nanomed: exists
Players: we need roundstart chemicals now reeeeee
Nanomed: am i a joke to you

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby confused rock » Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 pm #494710

Lol nal you know the small medivends? Every md round I get a chemistry bag and shamelessly empter an entire nanomed from a patient room. Doing this, I’ve NEVER had to get more meds, let alone run out, but I could get more if I did. Plus single pack meds from cargo are so cheap a doc can buy one personally.
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
imsxz
 
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Byond Username: Imsxz

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby imsxz » Mon May 20, 2019 11:49 pm #494747

ive saved ~a dozen people this past week via stasis beds, 1 person was infected stage 4/5 with a robotic transformation virus, the others were from a few rounds where a virus outbreak happened and i was able to have them sit down long enough to get cures/vaccines without having to juggle my attention actively healing them. Couldn't have done it with sleepers and they'd have died without stasis.

all hail stasis.
Image

please subscribe to me on youtube

terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:



Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz


Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.


Image

User avatar
Shadowflame909
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Shadowflame909 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 pm #494748

Not a 1/1 sleepers replacement

Spoiler:
Image

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.


Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.


BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.


BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909


Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

User avatar
Nalzul
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Nalzul » Tue May 21, 2019 7:49 am #494814

Shadowflame909 wrote:Not a 1/1 sleepers replacement

It's not supposed to be. Sleepers were such a huge QoL powercrepe that anything else to be a 1:1 replacement would be on the same level of laziness and mindless interaction.

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby confused rock » Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 pm #494846

Stasis is legit prolly the only way to stop a black slime transformation
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Takeguru
 
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 5:20 pm
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Takeguru » Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 pm #494860

My primary issue with stasis beds is that it pushes too much interaction with other players, especially if chem isn't being played by anyone competent

I shouldn't need to break into chem every round to get even the fucking basic chems set up, but lo and behold, this sleeper removal forced that real quick
Image

Dr_bee
 
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Dr_bee » Wed May 22, 2019 12:51 am #494956

Takeguru wrote:My primary issue with stasis beds is that it pushes too much interaction with other players, especially if chem isn't being played by anyone competent

I shouldn't need to break into chem every round to get even the fucking basic chems set up, but lo and behold, this sleeper removal forced that real quick


*cough* merge medical jobs *cough*

Oh dear, better get that cough checked out, pity the chemists are making meth and not medication, if only they were just regular doctors with the responsibilities of such.

User avatar
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
 
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 pm
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Super Aggro Crag » Wed May 22, 2019 2:06 am #494967

These assholes aren't doing their job!

Just give more assholes access to it!


just result in more shitters making meth dude
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby PKPenguin321 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:48 am #494974

Nalzul wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:Not a 1/1 sleepers replacement

It's not supposed to be. Sleepers were such a huge QoL powercrepe that anything else to be a 1:1 replacement would be on the same level of laziness and mindless interaction.

not that im disagreeing with you, but calling anything you dont like "huge QoL powercrepe" is turning these terms into meaningless buzzwords which upsets me and you need to stop doing it ok
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Cobby » Wed May 22, 2019 5:16 am #494989

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/44088

time to shill my own pr shamelessly after breaking your spirits
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

Dr_bee
 
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Dr_bee » Wed May 22, 2019 5:33 am #494993

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
These assholes aren't doing their job!

Just give more assholes access to it!


just result in more shitters making meth dude


Thats not an argument. Right now we have the case where ONLY shitters who make meth play chemist. If you give access to doctors who play the job to actually RP doctors then they can actually make medication.

If more people fight over chem dispensers, then fine.

User avatar
cedarbridge
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby cedarbridge » Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 am #495003

Dr_bee wrote:Thats not an argument.

Is not an argument. Stop saying this like it makes your point for you when faced with something that is absolutely an argument against your proposal.

His prediction is well-taken. If you make chem functionally public access you'll just explode the number of people with easy access to grief chems and more people holding up more dispensers to make meth. Doctors would rather be healing people than dealing with chem mixes to make pharmaceuticals. If they weren't, they'd be chemists.

User avatar
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
 
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 pm
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Super Aggro Crag » Wed May 22, 2019 9:55 am #495011

Thanks cedarbridge.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Dr_bee
 
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Dr_bee » Wed May 22, 2019 10:07 am #495012

cedarbridge wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:Thats not an argument.

Is not an argument. Stop saying this like it makes your point for you when faced with something that is absolutely an argument against your proposal.

His prediction is well-taken. If you make chem functionally public access you'll just explode the number of people with easy access to grief chems and more people holding up more dispensers to make meth. Doctors would rather be healing people than dealing with chem mixes to make pharmaceuticals. If they weren't, they'd be chemists.


The problem with the argument is that by doing so you also deny access to healing chems. Increased access to grief chems would be a buff to medical but would also actually allow them to do their job effectively after possibly the largest nerf to the medical system in the game.

It is a shit argument because its the ''things will change if you change them'' argument. Of course more people will have access to chem if you increase access to chem, thats the whole point of the suggestion. In the past there might have been a concern about increased access to chem memery because that was really the only point of chemistry. But now there is an actual need for mass production of medicine so ''lol they will just make meth'' rings hollow.

right now the 2 chem dispensers used are used almost exclusively for shitty meme chems because chemists dont feel the need to actually make medicine. If you open up access to the rest of medical staff doctors can at least FIGHT to try to make meds, and it will open up freedom for medical gameplay a bit. If you dont feel like treating patients or there is a slow period you can make meds instead of waiting with your thumb up your ass for someone to stub their toe.

User avatar
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
 
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 pm
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Super Aggro Crag » Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 am #495014

If they can fight to try and make chems then they can also get beat up for trying to make chems and then there are no chems to heal them. "Make people robust each other for the opportunity to do their job" isnt a good design plan. What if Security started naked and had to fist fight the warden for a pair of handcuffs? That'd be fucking stupid.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Cobby » Wed May 22, 2019 10:48 pm #495099

If only there was a role that was expected to administrate issues between medical and chemistry... like a chief... or an officer... of medical...
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby PKPenguin321 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 pm #495105

Cobby wrote:If only there was a role that was expected to administrate issues between medical and chemistry... like a chief... or an officer... of medical...

you know goddamn well theyre just a glorified MD
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Cobby » Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 am #495113

whose fault is that?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
Nalzul
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Nalzul » Thu May 23, 2019 3:20 am #495127

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Nalzul wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:Not a 1/1 sleepers replacement

It's not supposed to be. Sleepers were such a huge QoL powercrepe that anything else to be a 1:1 replacement would be on the same level of laziness and mindless interaction.

not that im disagreeing with you, but calling anything you dont like "huge QoL powercrepe" is turning these terms into meaningless buzzwords which upsets me and you need to stop doing it ok


How is it not a literal QoL power creep? Sleepers have be around for a long-ass time, but never in the state that they were for the past year. The point of them was to stabilize patients using chems, not be the end-all for healing (that is what cyro was intended for). With the advent of things like goonchem and T5 parts it pretty much became the second most desired machine to upgrade (the ORM being the first) because you could toss somebody in, shoot them up with more drugs than a heroin user, and throw them out of medbay.

Super Aggro Crag wrote:If they can fight to try and make chems then they can also get beat up for trying to make chems and then there are no chems to heal them. "Make people robust each other for the opportunity to do their job" isnt a good design plan. What if Security started naked and had to fist fight the warden for a pair of handcuffs? That'd be fucking stupid.


Science seems to share the entire department well. If somebody is already doing a job in science there is a very large chance another scientist will just say "ok" and move on to something else.

User avatar
Shadowflame909
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Shadowflame909 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:26 am #495129

More like quit or suicide. There are only 2 interesting things to do in science and one is getting faxed it because N-not a job.

Spoiler:
Image

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.


Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.


BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.


BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909


Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

User avatar
cedarbridge
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby cedarbridge » Thu May 23, 2019 5:55 am #495139

Nalzul wrote:Science seems to share the entire department well. If somebody is already doing a job in science there is a very large chance another scientist will just say "ok" and move on to something else.

This is a weak comparison. Medical and science aren't congruent. No part of science depends on any other part of science except for robotics/nanite training. Toxins functions perfectly fine if nobody does research. R&D doesn't care if somebody is in Xenobio or not.

Conversely, medical is very interconnected. MDs look to chemists for conditional use and general use medications.
MDs look to viro when they need somebody to lynch for the latest outbreak and then look to chem/CMO to convert a treated patient into a vaccine.
MDs look to genetics to cure certain mutations and traumas.

Each dependency isn't equally strong, but there's certainly a lot more interdependence in medical than there is in science. Before techwebs this might have been a more apt comparison.

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby PKPenguin321 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:34 am #495143

Nalzul wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Nalzul wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:Not a 1/1 sleepers replacement

It's not supposed to be. Sleepers were such a huge QoL powercrepe that anything else to be a 1:1 replacement would be on the same level of laziness and mindless interaction.

not that im disagreeing with you, but calling anything you dont like "huge QoL powercrepe" is turning these terms into meaningless buzzwords which upsets me and you need to stop doing it ok


How is it not a literal QoL power creep?

QoL in the most literal form is not even a negative thing. A truly QoL change is strictly positive, and you're construing it as a negative because you're so far removed from the actual meaning.

"Powercreep" doesn't apply either since it's the process of things becoming more powerful by using other powerful things as justification with no reasonable limit, until eventually the original things are so weak in comparison to the new ones that they may as well not exist. Putting aside that this isn't even an adjective, sleepers don't really fall into this category at all considering they predate a lot of the shit currently in medbay (including goofchem). Your whole thing about them being for stabilizing and not for healing has pretty much never been true, at least in the past 5-6 years.

You literally don't even know what these words mean, yet you sling them like they're just synonyms for "bad."
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby PKPenguin321 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 am #495144

Cobby wrote:whose fault is that?

No idea what you're getting at here but it sounds like:
- You're admitting that the code doesn't deal with things properly
- You're saying that maybe players could resolve it among themselves via the CMO
- You're acknowledging that that fails entirely, yet you plan to do nothing about it

So basically you're just saying "yeah things don't work and we have no plans to fix them" so what's your point?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

Tlaltecuhtli
 
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:16 am
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Tlaltecuhtli » Thu May 23, 2019 7:10 am #495148

i think everything would only improve by giving medical chem access and removing the chemist role

Xeroxemnas
 
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:52 am
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Xeroxemnas » Thu May 23, 2019 4:43 pm #495179

NecromancerAnne wrote:I mean, we could throw code solutions at it, but maybe consider that killing people just to clone them when alternatives exist and can be used should probably, actually, be a rule 1 break.


Is it really a rule 1 break when you're doing it for the sake of efficiency and not to be an asshole? If I have like 20 patients in medbay I don't have the time to do lengthy surgery that takes like 5+ fucking minutes when I could throw them into the cloner and they're out in like 2.

User avatar
Mickyan
Github User
 
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 pm
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Mickyan » Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 pm #495184

Now that healing is harder we can finally do the right thing and nerf antags by adding drag slowdown
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.

User avatar
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:26 pm
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby MisterPerson » Thu May 23, 2019 7:26 pm #495191

Mickyan wrote:Now that healing is harder we can finally do the right thing and nerf antags by adding drag slowdown

That's more of a way to make brigging someone take a really long time.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Why realism is stupid:
Spoiler:
Wiz, the project lead of Europa Universalis IV:

Immersion/flavor is playing a WW2 shooter and using a mosin-nagant instead of a laser gun - this is important.

Realism is playing a WW2 shooter and having to spend 2 months in hospital everytime you get shot - stupid and detrimental to gameplay. Nobody actually wants a realistic game, which is why realism arguments are so selectively used.
Source: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/ind ... t-19679470

User avatar
Shadowflame909
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby Shadowflame909 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm #495194

Mickyan wrote:Now that healing is harder we can finally do the right thing and nerf antags by adding drag slowdown


This will break Xenomorphs, Slaughter-Demons, Laughter-Demons, Abductors and more.

Yet no one will give a shit except for me. Orange-Man sure as hell won't unless their monarchist behavior is just a facade and a persona.

Spoiler:
Image

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.


Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.


BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.


BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909


Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby confused rock » Thu May 23, 2019 7:45 pm #495197

MisterPerson wrote:
Mickyan wrote:Now that healing is harder we can finally do the right thing and nerf antags by adding drag slowdown

That's more of a way to make brigging someone take a really long time.

again last pr made the slowdown not apply to standing people, thus shake the cuffed suspect onto their feet.
and as I told shadow every single antag it nerfs kinda deserves it (especially demons, because they have the ability to stay hidden indefinitely, with the only counter being letting it eat you after a certain bar drink or setting off an ACTUAL HOLY WATER BOMB which will clearly cause massive damage)
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
cedarbridge
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Stasis beds are shit.

Postby cedarbridge » Fri May 24, 2019 2:12 am #495267

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Mickyan wrote:Now that healing is harder we can finally do the right thing and nerf antags by adding drag slowdown


This will break Xenomorphs, Slaughter-Demons, Laughter-Demons, Abductors and more.

Yet no one will give a shit except for me. Orange-Man sure as hell won't unless their monarchist behavior is just a facade and a persona.

Xenos: Good. Fuck em.
Slaughter-Demons: As above. Already laughably powerful. I wouldn't shed a tear.
Laughter-Demons: As above. Neither of the demons even goes terribly far from a blood spot anyway.
Abductors: Rarely move bodies a whole lot anyway. They don't need turbodrag to be functional when they can already perfectly pick out isolated targets.

PreviousNext

Return to Coding Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users