The new hunger system

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Re: The new hunger system

Post by Ergovisavi » #55008

Bottom post of the previous page:

I literally can barely tell the difference between the old system and the new system. You still don't get hungry for a bazillion years, and the bonuses for eating well are fairly lackluster. Add in the fact that syndi-cakes are still bullshit overpowered...
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #55011

I think it' just goes orange real fast and that triggers my OCD and I try to keep it green and it's hard
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55116

oranges wrote:I think it' just goes orange real fast and that triggers my OCD and I try to keep it green and it's hard
>not constantly snacking your way to blue
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #55128

Can we a get a public microwave somewhere on the station? Perhaps just a little public kitchen next to the garden? Would be great for when the chef is a retard/dead.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #55139

Just jump over the kitchen table in that case. Hell, you could even take it further and remodel the kitchen area into a nice open self-serve restaurant.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55207

Durkel wrote:Can we a get a public microwave somewhere on the station? Perhaps just a little public kitchen next to the garden? Would be great for when the chef is a retard/dead.
The idea was to make the chef actually matter. Now you're trying to find a way to remove the chef now that he actually has relevance again. Just no.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #55226

I love this change for the most part. However, we need one thing added to supplement it properly.

Cannibalism: stooping over that clown you just killed and eating the good parts for nutriment. Hey, when the station has lost power and you're hungry...
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #55229

cedarbridge wrote:
Durkel wrote:Can we a get a public microwave somewhere on the station? Perhaps just a little public kitchen next to the garden? Would be great for when the chef is a retard/dead.
The idea was to make the chef actually matter. Now you're trying to find a way to remove the chef now that he actually has relevance again. Just no.
No, the idea was to get hunger to go back to what it was supposed to be, a mechanic that forced you to leave your job and secure work area to enter a highly public space and expose yourself to vulnerability. Furthermore the chef is not granted exclusive right to end the round anyway as is due to famine unlike how engineering being gone ends the round, because the chef area has only one person who can access it and is supposed to work it. Meanwhile there are enough engineering slots as well as a head in charge of engineering to make sure that happens. Engineering is currently the only lynchpin job for a reason, once you add to many the game falls apart in lowpop.

Currently the "release valves" for the chef include the botanist making plants alone without refining them, bartender drinks, the public gardens, the vending machines, and pizza orders from cargo.

That said I am not 100% on the idea of a public kitchen. Public garden getting a shitty kitchen may be ok, but because crops already have vitamins I don't think it is really neccesary. Maybe something to make truly shitty recepies like popcorn or tofu or something. There already is a high end get out of chef free card in the form of cargo that is even almost always manned, much like the engineers. Maybe code a new microwave, an EZ-bake tier food preparer.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #55237

cedarbridge wrote:
There's a microwave in virology which has no use now that the donk pocket recipe has been removed, likewise the one on mining. I'm not asking for a fully stocked kitchen, I'm asking for some microwave shoved into a room where you can try and cobble together some bread so you're not sucking down 4noraisins. And depending on cargo for anything other than them to be shit is just silly.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55246

Durkel wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
There's a microwave in virology which has no use now that the donk pocket recipe has been removed, likewise the one on mining. I'm not asking for a fully stocked kitchen, I'm asking for some microwave shoved into a room where you can try and cobble together some bread so you're not sucking down 4noraisins. And depending on cargo for anything other than them to be shit is just silly.
I could maybe support this but only after the chef gets the long-overdue kitchen update so he's not stuffing things into a microwave like it were the food-o-mat from the Jetsons.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #56948

I think this change is good, and had some interesting emergent ripple effects that other people have mentioned. Not only is chef/botany more important, weight even is now a must have symptom for virologists and radiation/vomiting is a more serious impairment. 8/10 good change.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #57030

I think only phill knows teh intent of the change.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57059

oranges wrote:I think only phill knows teh intent of the change.
This is responsive to...what?
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #57209

This is pretty cool. Annoying when cooks aren't on, but you can't have everything.
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #57298

Loving the new system.
Gives me an incentive to playing the quite unrewarding job of botanist.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #57435

I dislike it.

if you're low in nutrition, and the chef isn't there/fucked off there's a threshold where if you're in the red and want to replenish from vending machines, the forced limit on 'sugary' foods causes you to barely get any regain, and you're back in the red a few minutes later.

I want to play spacemen not balance a stupid hunger system.
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #57451

TheWulfe wrote:I dislike it.

if you're low in nutrition, and the chef isn't there/fucked off there's a threshold where if you're in the red and want to replenish from vending machines, the forced limit on 'sugary' foods causes you to barely get any regain, and you're back in the red a few minutes later.

Spehssmen gotta eat.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #57521

TheWulfe wrote:I dislike it.

The problem with sugary food making you barely get any regain even at low nutrition level is being adressed in an upcoming change.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #58267

It's hard to say, but I think I get visited more now than before.
That won't stop cargo from never giving me even one crate if we lack botanics, though...
As always I may make tons of cake, meatbread, cheesy treats and whatever I feel like doing, but I will still feed myself with raw meat, alcohol and rollies
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #58274

Delicious wrote:Why was chef renamed cook anyway? I noticed multiple slots have become available for it at roundstart. I hope it wasn't in reference to the epic viral vid.
Because someone on the code team is secretly a foodie, and knows that you can't have multiple chefs in one kitchen, for the same reason you can't have more than one quartermaster or Chief Medical Officer. The title implies exectuive authority.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #58293

In fact it implies authority to the point that in some other language "chef" in everyday usage is synonymous with "boss". Notably, German.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #60763

capi duffman wrote:It's hard to say, but I think I get visited more now than before.
That won't stop cargo from never giving me even one crate if we lack botanics, though...
As always I may make tons of cake, meatbread, cheesy treats and whatever I feel like doing, but I will still feed myself with raw meat, alcohol and rollies
If there are no botanists and cargo is shit, just break in, steal 1 hydro tray and 1 wheat seed.
Then bag science for advanced lasers.
Once the microwaves are upgraded, start making toasted sandwiches.
1 cheese wedge + 1 steak + 2 bread slices get you 3 sandwiches which in turn become 9 toasted sandwiches.