Can only have one apprentice

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Saintish
Byond Username: Saintish

Can only have one apprentice

Post by Saintish » #54482

>be me
>OOC: Blackiwhat: j.k. rowling for wizard
>I ACTUALLY GET WIZARD
>time for Soap Salesman gimmick, need my 4 apprentices
>hit up an admin, they get a few people to ghost for me
>time to use the contracts
>aight, so, i get one apprentice... but then, when i try to use the other contracts...
>Unable to reach your apprentice! You can either attack the spellbook with the contract to refund your points, or wait and try again later.
>Unable to reach your apprentice! You can either attack the spellbook with the contract to refund your points, or wait and try again later.

i've had 5 apprentices before, sentai-squad style, and that was one of my most fun SS13 rounds ever. i hope this is a bug and not a feature
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Can only have one apprentice

Post by Saegrimr » #54484

Its a feature because there were no other available ghosts to pull an apprentice from.

Its either give you that error message, or you get a braindead drooling on your wizard floors.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #54485

This code has not been touched since the 19th of September, and you can only get that message if there aren't enough ghosts. The available ghosts either had their Wizard preference turned OFF, or were antag banned.
Saintish

Post by Saintish » #54486

Saegrimr wrote:Its a feature because there were no other available ghosts to pull an apprentice from.

Its either give you that error message, or you get a braindead drooling on your wizard floors.
Sometinyprick got three people to ghost to become my apprentices - none of those worked. The apprentice that did work was an observer.

I later checked with him - they weren't antagbanned, and they all said they had their wizard preferences turned on. Sometinyprick thinks that it's because they ghosted from their own bodies while alive, and weren't actually killed.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #54487

Did they GHOST or did they suicide succumb?
When I ghost I don't get picked for anything.
I play Boris Pepper.
Saintish

Post by Saintish » #54489

Bluespace wrote:Did they GHOST or did they suicide succumb?
When I ghost I don't get picked for anything.
They ghosted out of perfectly fine bodies. I think that's a glitch in and of itself - or something that ought to be made more well-known, so this doesn't happen again.
Last edited by Saintish on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #54490

Looking into this further, this is the result of people ghosting while alive. Your mind datum is still attached to your old body, and so you are not considered for candidacy.
Saintish

Post by Saintish » #54491

So, is this something we wanna keep, or...?

it prevents ghosted people from getting back into the round instantly i guess
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #54559

Saintish wrote:So, is this something we wanna keep, or...?

it prevents ghosted people from getting back into the round instantly i guess
Ghosting removes players from the round by design. That's why there's a huge pop-up about it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #54919

I don't think ghosting was ever intended to prevent them being selected for antag roles

It just prevents you from being cloned

Clearly we need to implement that in a better way, please report it as a bug