Charlie Station/"Oldstation"

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Does the statement in the OP reflect your experience

Yes
50%
No
40%
I don't know but want to participate anyway
10%

Total votes: 10

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Charlie Station/"Oldstation"

Post by cacogen » #524067

Doing the solars takes too long by yourself, and there's never another player to help.

n.b.
Spoiler:
Unrelated, but I think newer players should know this is what oldstation first referred to. Part of Kocмичecкaя Cтaнция 13/the derelict was made using that map while the other bit is made from one of Uterus' many versions (an unfinished conversion to new code). Uterus is /tg/'s first map, before BoxStation.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Re: Charlie Station/"Oldstation"

Post by skoglol » #524087

Smart cables is the saviour here. It used to be terrible, now it is okay.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #524328

mfw people use thesuit to second life
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #524331

I think we shouldn't require wiring the external solars just so we can also get rid of the spacesuit. Even more so that we have smartcables, it used to be a good way to practice wiring but it's not needed anymore

Even if it's against the rules to take the suit and leave, it kind of cheapens the whole experience of being stranded on a derelict station and actually finding the means to leave should be the endgame
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #524426

Mickyan wrote:I think we shouldn't require wiring the external solars just so we can also get rid of the spacesuit. Even more so that we have smartcables, it used to be a good way to practice wiring but it's not needed anymore

Even if it's against the rules to take the suit and leave, it kind of cheapens the whole experience of being stranded on a derelict station and actually finding the means to leave should be the endgame
What if that was replaced with some sort of ventilated mining section full of ores to keep the uranium gen powered for a while.

Some sort of uranium fabricator would be cool as well...
► Show Spoiler
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #524427

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Mickyan wrote:I think we shouldn't require wiring the external solars just so we can also get rid of the spacesuit. Even more so that we have smartcables, it used to be a good way to practice wiring but it's not needed anymore

What if that was replaced with some sort of ventilated mining section full of ores to keep the uranium gen powered for a while.

Some sort of uranium fabricator would be cool as well...
Or it could use an atmos engine like the syndie lavaland base does. Now that the gas generator tiles were fixed it should be fine, plus it would enable ghostrole atmos on a safe z-level.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #524430

can you set up an atmos engine? or is it just an auto gas miner?
► Show Spoiler
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #524432

Shadowflame909 wrote:can you set up an atmos engine? or is it just an auto gas miner?
I believe the syndie one is a gas miner attached to a TEG. You could always have it start turned off like the supermatter is.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #526578

First of all, seconding that the wire change has streamlined this to no end. Second, I think we need to keep the solars as part of the experience, but I do agree that they can take too long solo to match the pace - something as simple as having them be a little more intact would be adequate for that.
Thirdly, the idea of an extra method of powering would work, but it needs to be applied in such a way that it doesn't just nullify the other two and facilitate rushing. Perhaps using the same gas miner engine as the Syndicate base, but tweaked so that it's underpowered and would cause brownouts if you tried to use it on its own, necessitating the solars if you want to have consistent power.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #527885

anonymousnow wrote:seconding that the wire change has streamlined this to no end.
yeah this is correct, having to do solars at the beginning of each attempt to return the station to its former glory before those fucks on the main station call the shuttle is no longer agonising and is simply a bit tiresome

me and some other guy did like a 150 minute round on it during lowpop which was kino that hasn't been seen since 2001 (1968)
when we finally got comms working and could hear and talk to the main station instead of being isolated in space on the creepy dead station there was a sense of triumph as though we were two of the few cosmonauts who didn't die

every part of the ruin feels well thought out and works together to create a cohesive whole with the same great taste

the room with the chemicals seems copied from very charming shitty older map ss13 and is reminiscent of system shock 2 which ss13 borrowed a lot from and it really ties the room together. i like modern, polished ss13 with its innumerable new features and pointless overhauls as much as anyone but part of me pines for a return to the ugly old simple overpowered days where all the departments were oversized and arranged in an arbitrary manner and you could cheaply chloral a guy as cmo and space him out of virology before he could even blink only for him to hit the top of the station and be cloned outing you as a traitor
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: