Security Sprites: 2015 Edition

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Security Sprites: 2015 Edition

Post by paprika » #57224

Bottom post of the previous page:

It does less damage than a harmbaton
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #57260

Lumbermancer wrote:Seclite that looked robust as fuck, as if you could break someones skull with it (rightfully so, I used it instead of harmbaton), now looks like plastic Chinese toy. Muh tacticool attachments. "Realistic" gimmicks, a blight upon ss13.
They were 9 brute damage. Rightfully so, those huge maglights that cops carry around are nasty.

I wonder if someone forgot to change their damage, i'll have to check later.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #57264

I think making them as robust as batons in melee would not go amiss, i do love cracking some skull with my flashlight
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #57267

Bring back the giant flashlight sprites! Ones like these:
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #57294

iyaerP wrote:Bring back the giant flashlight sprites! Ones like these:
I made both the sprites, both of them are based off a mag-lite, one is tiled with little shading, while the other is flat with more of an outline.
Violaceus wrote:I don't like seclite change, but I suppose it was done to look in same way as seclite looks when attached to a gun.
I made the sprite as a request for someone at Paradise before I knew about this idea.
Hey.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #57296

the maglite sprite was originally submitted as its own pr and literally everyone hated it except pap, its submitter, and nienhaus, the spriter. it was eventually closed. the resprite getting in was a stealth change
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #57306

allura wrote:the maglite sprite was originally submitted as its own pr and literally everyone hated it except pap, its submitter, and nienhaus, the spriter. it was eventually closed. the resprite getting in was a stealth change
Classic paparika PR
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #57347

iyaerP wrote:
allura wrote:the maglite sprite was originally submitted as its own pr and literally everyone hated it except pap, its submitter, and nienhaus, the spriter. it was eventually closed. the resprite getting in was a stealth change
Classic paparika PR
Is that true? Because this is grounds for some serious complaint.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #57349

It wasn't intentionally a 'stealth change' there was like 50000 things in that PR changed. I didn't list it, but it was a mistake and I'm sorry. You can revert it if you want, but I'll still argue it's better as it is due to the way the gunlight overlay is. Yeah it isn't xbox huge maglite but it doesn't really have to be, it can be a unique thing and smaller to attach to tasers since tacticool attachment features > muh dicklite overcompensation
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #57358

paprika wrote:It wasn't intentionally a 'stealth change' there was like 50000 things in that PR changed. I didn't list it, but it was a mistake and I'm sorry. You can revert it if you want, but I'll still argue it's better as it is due to the way the gunlight overlay is. Yeah it isn't xbox huge maglite but it doesn't really have to be, it can be a unique thing and smaller to attach to tasers since tacticool attachment features > muh dicklite overcompensation
Then maybe you should do a better job of documenting any changes you make instead of forgetting them, as that's become a somewhat of a common occurrence in your PR's where you will forget to mention something, then insult people who complain, or just insult them when they disagree with something you do or want to change anyway.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #57359

WeeYakk wrote:I'm like four threads late but what if something like this:

I'm not a big fan, while this stuff might be cool for 'formal wear' the problem is it almost always looks a bit weird if you want to wear armour. And if you don't wear armour (hence the jacket) then the jackets aren't usually as functional, so you would only wear it in an extended/rp situation (doesn't come up terribly often). One of the best things about winter coats is that they work just as well as the normal gear, so there's much more of a reason to wear them.

In principle, though? A smartcurity could be fun, especially if combined with smart uniforms in other departments (doctors wearing buttoned shirts and suits? scientists wearing trim caps? engineers with fancy...stuff?). I think the boots look a little tall with the uniform but apart from that it's all good.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #57445

Steelpoint wrote:
paprika wrote:It wasn't intentionally a 'stealth change' there was like 50000 things in that PR changed. I didn't list it, but it was a mistake and I'm sorry. You can revert it if you want, but I'll still argue it's better as it is due to the way the gunlight overlay is. Yeah it isn't xbox huge maglite but it doesn't really have to be, it can be a unique thing and smaller to attach to tasers since tacticool attachment features > muh dicklite overcompensation
Then maybe you should do a better job of documenting any changes you make instead of forgetting them, as that's become a somewhat of a common occurrence in your PR's where you will forget to mention something, then insult people who complain, or just insult them when they disagree with something you do or want to change anyway.
You're one to talk mr stealth map changes.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #57483

paprika wrote: You're one to talk mr stealth map changes.
Please point out to me a PR where I intentionally attempted to obfuscate or outright hide a map addition without mentioning it. Either way, my point stands, I've always made a good effort to list out every single change I've ever made, however you have failed to do that on several occasions.

Now back on topic, are you still working on the clothing selection system?
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #57509

Steelpoint wrote:
Like the way he just insulted people who complained - "attachment features > muh dicklite overcompensation".
Ugh.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #57519

I prefer old as they are after all corporate security, not some kind of SWAT force. But allowing Security Officers to alter their look ingame sounds good too.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #59683

Paprika, any progress on the selection system?
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #59699

If we do change to sprite selection, which is great, make sure that each department keeps its visual clairty.

For example, the HoS is almost always all or mostly black. Security officers are generally black torso, red arms and often legs. Detective is usually in classy civilian wear but color wise is often tan and white, which would make for example the white shirt from paprika's alt sprite with a civilian hat would work for them and be beautiful. Atmost is engineering yellow with teal, where as engineers have orange stripes. Medical doctors and scientists look similar but use highlights of blue and purple to identify them. Outfit selections shouldn't vary too much from these to keep each role in iconic colors and identifiable on sight even if it is your first time seeing the new outfit.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #59790

Cheimon wrote:
WeeYakk wrote:I'm like four threads late but what if something like this:

*pickchur*
I'm not a big fan, while this stuff might be cool for 'formal wear' the problem is it almost always looks a bit weird if you want to wear armour. And if you don't wear armour (hence the jacket) then the jackets aren't usually as functional, so you would only wear it in an extended/rp situation (doesn't come up terribly often). One of the best things about winter coats is that they work just as well as the normal gear, so there's much more of a reason to wear them.

In principle, though? A smartcurity could be fun, especially if combined with smart uniforms in other departments (doctors wearing buttoned shirts and suits? scientists wearing trim caps? engineers with fancy...stuff?). I think the boots look a little tall with the uniform but apart from that it's all good.
Just replace the formal jacket with something like pap's slimmer armor vest. You have a clean and professional niceguycurity uniform that certain people have been calling for while maintaining a predominantly red and easily recognizable as sec type uniform.

On a semi-related and three threads too late note the TF2 commentary talks some about how Valve was able to use various muted and non-contrasting shades to keep the team colors easily recognizable red or blue without being matte exact same shade for all classes red or blue. Might be worth a listen for anyone doing uniform resprites.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #59903

Steelpoint wrote:Paprika, any progress on the selection system?
Not at all

The clothing sets PR will take a while and it's not necessarily at the front of my TODO list considering i've hit a brick wall and require help from another coder who isn't in my timezone

It's not that big of a deal, but once I'm done refactoring inhands and garbage cleaning in the uniform icons to open up some space, feel free to change the sec uniforms or whatever. Honestly, I think a better idea is to find some kind of decent middle ground with security and stick to it with one set of clothes for officers/hos/warden. Red sleeves look like ass, no dress shirt would have different colored sleeves without being silly looking. It makes sense as a jumpsuit(janitor), but is generally crap outside of that.

I'm not even very strongly for security wearing corporate dress shirts or cop-like dress shirts. I prefer red jumpsuits. But if we use red jumpsuits, we should use grey armor. Red + black is edgy syndicate crap. Red + grey armor looks a lot less threatening. Security shouldn't look like they're able to take on a boarding squad that is heavily armed, because if that was a thing that happened frequently, nanotrasen would set up fucking turrets. Most of the antag attacks on the station are generally assumed to be new threats pertaining to the round. Not to say it's expected for some sec officers that are experienced to just lay down and go WOAH LOOK AT THOSE GUYS IN RED ARMOR WHO COULD THEY BE? I SHOULD TELL THE BOSS OR ASK THEM POLITELY TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES! because that's forced ignorance and nobody's saying that. Sec is geared to combat traitors and ensure company secrets don't get out, not act as thought police and private military for countering nuke ops. The whole premise of nuke ops is 5 heavily armed motherfuckers against a crew of 30+ that isn't expecting it. If sec was meant to be anti nuke op army goons, that would be terminally unfun.

You and ausops both seem to think they should look like soldiers. Sec should look like security. That doesn't mean ausops sprites aren't higher detailed than what we used to have, because again, that has never been the argument.

The new armor I added currently on the server that ausops made looks too much like a waistcoat and is too form fitting. I prefer the old fashioned grey armor that currently the HoP and bartender have. I edited it to make it look significantly less fat and more like a standard weight armor that isn't incredibly restrictive but looks like it could take a beating when equipped. I still don't know why you prefer black kevlar 'muh realisms' over what looks much more suitable to space security and fits the iconic aesthetic compared to black stupidity. You said it yourself best, black should be a HoS thing.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #59941

So long as Paprika is working on the sprite selection system there's little need for further conflict.

The biggest complaint I've read people talk about is how helmets are not replaced with berets. Turns out beret's are not as popular as I thought.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #60043

i prefer to wear the trucker hat
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #60052

The spawn selections for officers will probably just be whether you want to spawn in the cap or the beret, since they're identical and only aesthetically different. It took forever for that post above steelpoint's to get approved but please read it, I think it's time for red jumpsuits again but for the love of shit let's not keep black armor it's so, so bad.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #60053

Thank god for officers spawning with gloves though, holy shit
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #60070

Ask someone to get rid of your approved posting thing pap, it's annoying.
WeeYakk

Post by WeeYakk » #60089

Can you roll it down now though? This is v important.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #60092

I'm all for that system as well as returning to Red Jumpsuits. Also letting people decide on either a helmet or a beret to spawn in is great.

The "edgy" armour can be kept in the armoury as the tactical armour while we use the improved grey armour.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #60123

I don't care about really anything but sec using the grey armor at this point, i really like the plain look of it

Once https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7147 is merged, feel free to go back to the ausops jumpsuits without the kneepads (i think they're too tactical for normal sec, might add them to the armory's armor later though)

Just remove civilian armor and replace our current armor with that, make it the parent clothing/suit/armor

Thank fuck for sec finally getting black gloves though, I can't stress how much less shit it makes them look
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #60137

Once that's merged I'll work on something. We'll see it once we've got it in.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #61144

Pap's given the all ahead for a, hopefully, final Sec sprite change forever.

This style combines the following sprites.

Ausops Uniform (minus kneepads)
Pap's Armour and Helmet
Nienhaus's Beret
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #61145

Steelpoint, I fucking love that. Much better than current pussy grey sec. I say that considering I can't take them seriously and they look meek.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #61159

Yes, this does look sec-sy.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #61160

Steelpoint wrote:Pap's given the all ahead for a, hopefully, final Sec sprite change forever.

Pap's Armour and Helmet
Nienhaus's Beret
Human eyes were not meant to look upon such beauty.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #61166

reminder that sec satchel is most /fa/
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #61181

dezzmont wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Pap's given the all ahead for a, hopefully, final Sec sprite change forever.

Pap's Armour and Helmet
Nienhaus's Beret
Human eyes were not meant to look upon such beauty.
Nice and clean. A good mixture, I think.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #61183

Here's what all changes will be if I put up the PR.

Security Officer(Image 1&2): Spawns with a Helmet, Beret in Locker.
Tactical Officer: Three sets of Bulletproof Armour are in the Armoury, these use the old Ausops armour.
Warden: Returns to the old red coat, keeps the old one in his locker.
HoS: No change aside from uniform being red.
Bartender: Spawns with the Corporate armour, now styled as "civilian" armour.
HoP: His locker has a set of civilian armour.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #61184

What is the detective currently wearing?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #61185

No change, he keeps his brown coat and his armour has been untouched.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #61188

I was thinking that the detective could use the white shirt+vest combo that Paprika made to look more in line with security as sort of a field expert that supplements the real cops, but then he would be identical to bartender. So scratch that.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #61189

Steelpoint wrote:Here's what all changes will be if I put up the PR.

Tactical Officer: Three sets of Bulletproof Armour are in the Armoury, these use the old Ausops armour.
One of the things which pleases me the most about some recent changes is the inclusion of functional options in departmental wardrobes. Wonderful, wonderful choices! Fashionstation 13!

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #61190

I really like the HoP. He looks much more like a bureaucrat now, fitting for a guy in charge of a mailroom and a kitchen.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #61201

Steelpoint wrote:Here's what all changes will be if I put up the PR.

Yes, fuck yes. This looks great.

But why not let guard carry easily both Helmet and Beret, so he can wear beret for fashion RP and helmet when shit hits the fan?

Make beret attachable to uniform (I'm not sure if two accessories are possible under current system, with armband and all), so one can wear it under epaullette like this
Spoiler:
, and helmet attachable as an accessory to armor like this
Spoiler:
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #61204

Or just be sane and use your backpack. Security isn't like medical or engineering, they got room.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #61206

Really?

Taser in armor slot. Flash and handcuffs in pockets. Stun baton, flashbang, pepperspray, pair of zipties in in belt. Box, another pair of zip ties, helmet, gas mask in backpack.

Out of storage space m8. And that is after the new attachable seclite, before I would carry seclite in pocket, flash in backpack.

God forbid I need to carry some tools around, or evidence.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #61207

You can store 6 spare zipties in your backpack box rather than cluttering everything up like a goofball to free up 2 slots in your bag even if you feel the need to have 3 restraints on hand at all times, leaving you with 4 slots in your bag if you for some reason don't want to store your mask in the box or wear it. You also can put your hat in the box when it is not in use because I highly doubt you need to deploy a beret in two clicks unless someone snuck in a tactical beret of some kind while I wasn't looking. Pepperspray is actually worthless unless it was recently buffed and I generally don't carry it

L2inventory m8. Your box is an extra 6 slots if you know what you are doing.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #61208

Its fine. No need to go well of topic.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #61210

dezzmont wrote:box
Box is hammerspace anti-rp, my immersion.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #61226

miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #61305

dezzmont wrote:I was thinking that the detective could use the white shirt+vest combo that Paprika made to look more in line with security as sort of a field expert that supplements the real cops, but then he would be identical to bartender. So scratch that.
det shouldnt be changed at all
if people want to wear cool CSI clothes theres a clothesmate in the locker room
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
WeeYakk

Post by WeeYakk » #61323

miggles wrote:
dezzmont wrote:I was thinking that the detective could use the white shirt+vest combo that Paprika made to look more in line with security as sort of a field expert that supplements the real cops, but then he would be identical to bartender. So scratch that.
det shouldnt be changed at all
if people want to wear cool CSI clothes theres a clothesmate in the locker room
But his armor is so big and dorky.