Malf AI and moving the AI core

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Malf AI and moving the AI core

Post by Gun Hog » #58805

It does. (Or should). Malf AI should be made so that leaving the Z-level is an instant loss.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #58817

Thats one of the best tricks tho. Another funny trick is moving the ai core teleport beacon right into the sight of laser turrets.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #58858

Usually, the moment I hear the AI is rogue I check cameras. If the AI core is walled off and I can't see it, I check APCs.
Once I see the AI ain't on APCs it's time to grab normal load values on all station systems and comb through the list, while sending someone to go to Mining.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #59296

deathhoof wrote:Thats one of the best tricks tho. Another funny trick is moving the ai core teleport beacon right into the sight of laser turrets.
Its retardedly unbalanced. There's no "trick" to it other than the crew being fooled into raiding an empty sat. It unblanaces the times assigned to each leg of a malf round. The first where the crew fights to and penetrates the sat (or doesn't) and the part where they chase the shunted AI to wherever it ran off to. Except now they have to 1) Raid the sat to find no core 2) Start forming a meta list of an infinite number of places the core could be hiding (even off z-level which is doubly bullshit) 3) Get to and find said hidden core 4) THEN deal with shunting. Expecting any crew to be able to do that in a 600 second timer is beyond the pale.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #60118

Not to mention, say the AI's hidden on the asteroid and proceeds to destroy the shuttle consoles, preventing people from getting there without z-level transition RNG. On top of that, people that do manage to get to the asteroid will have to deal with the inevitable defenses or borgs that brought the AI there.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #60210

People should do their job and actually monitor the AI.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #60220

As a recent malf AI who was moved by a cyborg and subsequently BWOINKED (as I agreed with the plan and didn't realise that some people consider it an exploit), can't we just rebalance it somehow?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #60222

In built camera in the AI core maybe?

Borgs have had them forever.

A whole bunch of people could still be fooled (forever tcomms screwing) by moving it but some wouldn't be engaging in a game of cups kilometers apart.

Alternatively screw the crew because so many round types basically handhold them victory on a silver platter.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #60240

Incomptinence wrote:Alternatively screw the crew because so many round types basically handhold them victory on a silver platter.
"Other modes are easy so fuck everyone you get to instalose every X rounds" Man, I bet you're a riot at parties.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #60398

Yet to have a malf AI come to a party.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #60414

Moving the AI is fine and a legitimate strat.
Being able to teleport to the gulag, then blowing both the mining and gulag shuttle consoles so the Z-level cant be accessed is kinda bad.
I play Boris Pepper.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #60676

In my opinion, moving the AI core is a legitimate strategy but it is unbalanced as there is no counter and because of the issue of denying access to an alternate z-level the AI might be hiding on.
Fixes to this are simple as
1. Add a counter to hiding AIs (like the AI having a camera built into it, pinpointer buff, centcomm announcement saying where the AI is if all else fails)
2. Prevent the AI from denying access to other z-levels (Make shuttle consoles unremovable/make them not a console but a button or something)
3. Do not allow the AI to move across z-levels (Make it not able to start the countdown if it's not on station, make it instalose if it leaves the station z-level, etc.)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #60677

Or have spare shuttle console boards and allow research to print them for point 2.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #60685

I think moving the AI core is kinda smart, and the counterplay is even smarter...

No place will EVER be as safe as the AI satellite, and if you've suddenly got a power spike in another area of the ship (easily seen through the engineering terminals if you know what you're looking for) then you're golden on finding the less protected AI core stuck in maintenance or a solar.

Taking it off station is kinda meh... I've seen an AI and an enterprising cyborg get a beacon out to the DJ station and set the AI up there.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #60698

Remember: The pinpointer will point to the Malf AI as soon as it declares Delta (correct me if this has changed). This is why Malfs using the 'move the core' strategy have their borgs space the thing. It was added as the hard counter when the unanchoring update was merged.