Medibots are the new Medbay crutch

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Re: Medibots are the new Medbay crutch

Post by Sheodir » #569719

Bottom post of the previous page:

Helios wrote: Do you accept the possibility that a majority of players don't like how medical is currently handled?
I'm not talking a majority of people who currently play medical doctors with the current system, but rather if you poll 80 players on Sybil 41 might say they dislike the way it's handled.
Both to answer this and your earlier point: there can always be improvements, but this is a better direction. I was here for the self-surgery days and that was less fun, less engaging and made Medical not a job but just pointless number go up games. Any suggestion to improvement that in any way begins with 'we should have better self healing alternatives' is arguing for the trivialization of injury and damage, which straight up makes the game less interesting.

People often will hold things are bad, and they're often right. But they're still better than before.

(I for example hate the majority of Science roles but recognize they're a marked improvement over how they used to be. I also like MOST of the combat changes despite the fact it's gotten me a lot weaker and killed a lot more. What's engaging to your preferences =/= what's good for the game as a whole.)
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
RG4ORDR
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4ORDR » #569775

Sheodir wrote:
Helios wrote: Do you accept the possibility that a majority of players don't like how medical is currently handled?
I'm not talking a majority of people who currently play medical doctors with the current system, but rather if you poll 80 players on Sybil 41 might say they dislike the way it's handled.
Both to answer this and your earlier point: there can always be improvements, but this is a better direction. I was here for the self-surgery days and that was less fun, less engaging and made Medical not a job but just pointless number go up games. Any suggestion to improvement that in any way begins with 'we should have better self healing alternatives' is arguing for the trivialization of injury and damage, which straight up makes the game less interesting.

People often will hold things are bad, and they're often right. But they're still better than before.

(I for example hate the majority of Science roles but recognize they're a marked improvement over how they used to be. I also like MOST of the combat changes despite the fact it's gotten me a lot weaker and killed a lot more. What's engaging to your preferences =/= what's good for the game as a whole.)
I think there's a keen difference between combat and healing other players.
One used and still is dominated around who gets a stun first. Stuns equal winning in nearly all situations. So over time stuns have slowly getting phased out because SHOCKINGLY that shit isn't fun. I think most players would agree to be able to take more than one shot for a disabler and baton is far more preferred to taser and baton is fatal. Or the old favorites of stun gloves or parasting.

Healing, especially on a server where there is literally no RP at all should not be a tedious process, but it shouldn't lack depth.
The systems SHOULD reward people for doing the more involved process, netting the best results. Doing a more simplistic way should ensure a minor penalty for a short duration. Shit, I never even thought cloning was bad, if you put it alongside the updated surgery it works out pretty well IMO. Players on /tg/ do not come for the RP, they aren't coming to doing detailed medRP or lay on a bed for ten minutes getting fixed. I said earlier, the fact medibots have suddenly become an issue is hilarious. How the fuck has the medibot become a driving force in medbay now. How the hell did players even FIND a way to make the medibots better than they were before.

Oh, that's right there were some pretty big blanket changes to surgery and healing chems that seem to reduced the overall effectiveness of them(I don't know I haven't actually played on /tg/ a lot since like mid 2018 IIRC). Some of the players, who wanted to reduce to tedious nature of the altered healing methods, found one. Now someone wants to change it.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569778

RG4ORDR wrote:I think there's a keen difference between combat and healing other players.
One used and still is dominated around who gets a stun first. Stuns equal winning in nearly all situations. So over time stuns have slowly getting phased out because SHOCKINGLY that shit isn't fun. I think most players would agree to be able to take more than one shot for a disabler and baton is far more preferred to taser and baton is fatal. Or the old favorites of stun gloves or parasting.

Healing, especially on a server where there is literally no RP at all should not be a tedious process, but it shouldn't lack depth.
The systems SHOULD reward people for doing the more involved process, netting the best results. Doing a more simplistic way should ensure a minor penalty for a short duration. Shit, I never even thought cloning was bad, if you put it alongside the updated surgery it works out pretty well IMO. Players on /tg/ do not come for the RP, they aren't coming to doing detailed medRP or lay on a bed for ten minutes getting fixed. I said earlier, the fact medibots have suddenly become an issue is hilarious. How the fuck has the medibot become a driving force in medbay now. How the hell did players even FIND a way to make the medibots better than they were before.

Oh, that's right there were some pretty big blanket changes to surgery and healing chems that seem to reduced the overall effectiveness of them(I don't know I haven't actually played on /tg/ a lot since like mid 2018 IIRC). Some of the players, who wanted to reduce to tedious nature of the altered healing methods, found one. Now someone wants to change it.

Yeah I, uh, can see that.

Medibots got slightly buffed over time mostly by fixing their queueing and making them tend wounds at basically the efficient dcotor range. Yes, the Medibot is absolutely a crutch that is way too overused in med now. We have a RP server now, and the LRP servers are still LRP, not noRP, and playing them as such will prob warrant a slap on the wrist. Healing is more involved and indepth now and I was just talking about how failing in surgery does add depth, and that is what was being discussed. To be quite frank your response feels like you suddenly crashed into this thread with no idea what it was about or the current state of the game, which you've kinda confirmed.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #569809

there's a lot of people who played norp who migrated to /tg/ now discovering that this isn't actually the server for them