Does anyone even like meteors?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Shikarego
Byond Username: Shikarego

Does anyone even like meteors?

Post by Shikarego » #563342

Every time you get that announcement, even for meaty ores, everyone groans in frustration. Sometimes they call the shuttle, and rarely will you get objections because meteors aren't fun.

Maybe the answer isn't to remove them, but to change meteor shields? Make them a roundstart thing in engi, make their boundaries and mechanics more clear. Not sure. But I fucking hate meteors and I think you do too.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Re: Does anyone even like meteors?

Post by trollbreeder » #563343

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=26169
I'm getting a strange feeling of deja vu.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Shikarego

Post by Shikarego » #563345

trollbreeder wrote:https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=26169
I'm getting a strange feeling of deja vu.
Idk if I wanna jump right to "remove meteors." I'm open to hearing what someone might enjoy about them. I also like the idea of giving engis more to do to hopefully nullify their effects completely. I personally wouldn't miss them at all, though.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #563346

embrace chaos my friend
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #563355

too bad theres not some sort of machine that like, lays out a holographic image of how the station starts the round over damage, so engineers can rebuild it to specifications instead of just randomly plugging shit up (that is, if they even attempt damage control and dont just call shuttle)
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #563398

Early warning is good idea. Current state of "RNG decides that round must end" sucks!
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #563451

I genuinely think meteors would be more fun if they didnt only hit the side of the station. It's a lot more fun and frantic to patch a whole in the central primary hallway than a random spot in maint that drains all the fucking air in one whole side of the station

Maybe with an impact warning on the area so there's time to escape
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #563457

in an abstract sense, i like the idea of meteors actually being buffed but also given more "counterplay"

what if they were more devastating, but the station started with a small number of meteor shield bot things and a machine that said which direction they were coming from?
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #563459

You may think the meteors are the problem, but have you ever considered that nobody being willing to repair the station is the issue here? Engineers are one of the most unmotivated and inefficient department groups we have, you may have all engineer slots filled, but you can bet that it's all evolved greytiders just picking the fastest way to get insulated and tools, and none will ever perform any helpful activity to their department whatsoever. By game mechanics alone, we are consistently terrible at repairing breaches of any notable severity.
It's also the game not running smoothly and choking if you have too many entities or it went on long enough. It will break in some way and you start to get lighting bugs, then everything becomes sluggish, sometimes even the atmosphere system ceases working. It's probably these factors being a drag on your game experience, that make meteors with their huge disruption and numerous breaches a fun-killer for many, but the reasons why are not rooted in the meteors themselves, but in the game's struggling performance.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Shikarego

Post by Shikarego » #563624

BONERMASTER wrote:You may think the meteors are the problem, but have you ever considered that nobody being willing to repair the station is the issue here? Engineers are one of the most unmotivated and inefficient department groups we have, you may have all engineer slots filled, but you can bet that it's all evolved greytiders just picking the fastest way to get insulated and tools, and none will ever perform any helpful activity to their department whatsoever. By game mechanics alone, we are consistently terrible at repairing breaches of any notable severity.
It's also the game not running smoothly and choking if you have too many entities or it went on long enough. It will break in some way and you start to get lighting bugs, then everything becomes sluggish, sometimes even the atmosphere system ceases working. It's probably these factors being a drag on your game experience, that make meteors with their huge disruption and numerous breaches a fun-killer for many, but the reasons why are not rooted in the meteors themselves, but in the game's struggling performance.
Interesting point, but I don't think it holds up.
I don't think fixing meteor breaches is fun. I don't think rebuilding atmos is particularly fun.
I think I see engineers (myself included) fixing all the breaches and shit when meteors hit, I've even seen someone rebuild ALL of tcoms. I am not convinced that the problem is the players don't wanna help, I think the problem I'm pointing at is that it does not add anything to the game. Not anything fun, anyway.

As for your performance point -- the screenshake from meteors makes me IRL nauseous and lags me to hell. But neither of those factor into my questioning what meteors add to the game / what might make them enjoyable.

Also, I don't think you mentioned anything good about meteors, you just tried to reframe my objections. I'm wondering if anyone has anything positive to say about meteors.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #563639

meteor event rework proposal

-meteor shields changed to include large and small shield pods. large ones are the same as they are now, having to be dragged out into space and activated. small ones can be carried in hand but can only be turned on if near another large or small active pod. this makes it easier to one person to set up the shields
-large shield pods have finite battery and a chance to depower every 15~ seconds if left on for more than a minute, so they can't just be left in space unattended
-engineering or eva starts with one large pod and a few small pods, cargo can order either one large pod or several small pods per crate
-shields no longer need to be hooked up to a computer, instead engineering/eva starts with a meteor detection machine

-when a random meteor event happens, IF the station has a functional, powered meteor detection machine, the station gets an alert that meteors are coming. the meteors arrive 3-5 minutes (random) after this first alert, with a second alert coming ~10 seconds before they actually hit (second alert comes even without a meteor detection machine)
-the alert doesn't say which direction the meteors are coming from, but the meteor detection machine does, so the crew has to check the detector to find which direction theyre coming from then move the shield pods into place
-meteors get their own unique loot table, and meteors successfully shot down by the shield pods have a chance to leave behind goodies to reward the crew for manning the pods and checking the debris

-with all of the above, meteors are made much much deadlier, with even the smallest non-exploding meteor able to penetrate 10-20 tiles into the station like a rod, and exploding meteors being more common and powerful

tl;dr turn meteors into something the crew actually has to respond to, and give them more tools to do it plus rewards for doing so

and yes i know wyci
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
crashmatusow
Byond Username: Crashmatusow

Post by crashmatusow » #563680

My experience with meteors is a as a shitty round ender button hammered by admemes which could better be served by pushing the deathsquad button.