[POLL] Remove/Keep/Nerf Laser Eyes

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

What should be done about laser eyes?

Keep Laser Eyes as they are
5%
5%
5%
Remove Laser Eyes from genetics entirely
14%
14%
14%
Remove Laser Eyes for now, and put them back in once a more balanced version is created (Please post explaining your proposed nerf)
9%
Remove Laser Eyes for now, and put them back in once a more balanced version is created (Please post explaining your proposed nerf)
9%
9%
Keep Laser Eyes for now, but plan to re-balance them (Please post explaining your proposed nerf)
6%
Keep Laser Eyes for now, but plan to re-balance them (Please post explaining your proposed nerf)
6%
6%

Total votes: 108

Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

[POLL] Remove/Keep/Nerf Laser Eyes

Post by Drynwyn » #62498

Laser Eyes accidentally became available via genetics recently. There has been support for keeping, removing, and altering them, variously. What do you think should be done?
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title formatting
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Re: Remove/Keep/Nerf Laser Eyes (POLL)

Post by Bombadil » #62501

PEople will want to keep laser eyes because they are opa as fuck infinite lasers FROM YOUR EYES

Also laser eyes vs blob gg no re. I mean really can you imagine? Infinitely shooting lasers from your eyes along with laserguns at the blob?

I mean this isn't just any old shit this is literally game ruining for blob

I legit think this power should be removed in blob rounds(IF IT IS KEPT) because otherwise it will ruin the blobs day no matter what. If a geneticist gets it early its over. If a genetcist gets it into the mid game and empowers the crew with laser eyes? Still over
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #62505

So kill Genetics and/or give them something to protect from heat - like, a specialized shield blob or whatever?

Alternatively, put laser eyes on a cooldown or something.

Also I vote to keep it until I get to fuck around with it.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62510

As we discussed in the other thread, make it cause welding eye damage when used unless you are wearing welding goggles, limiting your vision. Or just making you go fucking blind if you can't find any. This way I can not only cosplay as the hulk, but as Cyclops.

A cooldown would be prudent as well.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #62512

hardsuit helmets have the same eye protection as welding masks, without the vision restriction. Also sec can't control/detect your eye lasers, which is really shitty.

Shit's overpowered son.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62517

Sec also can't detect armblades. Forgot about hardsuit helms, that is a problem. Perhaps they just REDUCE the damage, so you can fire maybe two shots and only white out the screen, while firing any more than one at a time without protection does permanent damage/blindness? Or reducing the damage of the lasers to half an egun.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62521

I've always found welding masks to be a pain in the ass to find apart from as science and engineering. Hardsuit helms put a bit of a damper on it, but still not teeeerribly common.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #62523

armblades are ling only, flag you as a non human antag, and can't be used while cuffed/stunned. Also melee.

Eye lasers are a spell, can be used while cuffed (firing directly into the back of the guy dragging you) can be used by literally anyone, and you can't visually see that the person has it. Also ranged.
Last edited by lumipharon on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62524

Snakebutt wrote:As we discussed in the other thread, make it cause welding eye damage when used unless you are wearing welding goggles, limiting your vision. Or just making you go fucking blind if you can't find any. This way I can not only cosplay as the hulk, but as Cyclops.

A cooldown would be prudent as well.
Welding goggles are eeasy to get. RD can mass produce welding gas masks for fucks sake

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62532

Balut wrote:So kill Genetics and/or give them something to protect from heat - like, a specialized shield blob or whatever?

Alternatively, put laser eyes on a cooldown or something.

Also I vote to keep it until I get to fuck around with it.
>Blob just needs to go into a untactical position to take out genetics as target one
>Forget the ability to target engineering telecomms or armory
>Gotta get them genetics

danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #62535

I am currently working on a nerfed version of laser eyes that will be available PROPERLY via genetics.

e: as a note, currently laser eyes are only accessible (to my knowledge) from random mutation in genetics. There isn't a block for them.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62546

danno wrote:I am currently working on a nerfed version of laser eyes that will be available PROPERLY via genetics.

e: as a note, currently laser eyes are only accessible (to my knowledge) from random mutation in genetics. There isn't a block for them.
It might be because of the extra blocks added to be editable a certain block is hardcoded for laser eyes? Because some people guarantee they can give laser eyes with certain blocks

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #62554

Crank up the nutrition usage, make it fairly rare and make it not work while wearing a helmet/mask/anything that covers the eyes.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62575

Vekter wrote:Crank up the nutrition usage, make it fairly rare and make it not work while wearing a helmet/mask/anything that covers the eyes.
Oh well how about that viro just gave me a weight even virus INFINITE LASERS

Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62579

Bombadil wrote:
Vekter wrote:Crank up the nutrition usage, make it fairly rare and make it not work while wearing a helmet/mask/anything that covers the eyes.
Thus why eye damage is a good solution. A competent viro/chef prodives plenty of nutrition, soda machines make changing body heat laughably pointless. Making the eye damage unavoidable ins't a bad idea, welding damage does slowly heal, but if you spam too many shots at once, you're going to go blind and get robusted like a scrub, and if not you have to wait around medbay for surgery.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62584

Snakebutt wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Thus why eye damage is a good solution. A competent viro/chef prodives plenty of nutrition, soda machines make changing body heat laughably pointless. Making the eye damage unavoidable ins't a bad idea, welding damage does slowly heal, but if you spam too many shots at once, you're going to go blind and get robusted like a scrub, and if not you have to wait around medbay for surgery.
If you go blind you should be entirely unable to shoot as well

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #62586

Snakebutt wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Carrot. Cake.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #62587

This doesn't belong is genetics, nerfed or not. it's just too powerful. There's a reason all the lethal weaponry is in the armory.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62596

Vekter wrote:
Snakebutt wrote:snip
Carrot. Cake.
The odds of the work of Hydroponics, Kitchen AND genetics all lining up for that to be available are so low that this should be a valid workaround. And carrots contain inacusiate, which doesn't heal actual blindness from massive eyedamage, unless cake is different somehow. So spamming it so hard you pass whiteout straight into blindness won't matter. The point is to reward light, sparing use and punish using it like an egun.
Durkel wrote:This doesn't belong is genetics, nerfed or not. it's just too powerful. There's a reason all the lethal weaponry is in the armory.
Toolboxes
Kitchen Knife
Butcher's Knife
Mechs
Null Rod
Scalpel
Mechs
Surgical Saw
Screwdriver
Rods
Harmbaton
Seclight
MULEs
Mechs
Toxins
Slimes
Airlocks
Chemistry
Floortiles
Did I mention mechs that can be armed with limitless laser cannons and smgs?

The station is MADE of lethal weapons. Armory is just a very well stocked area compared to most.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #62604

guys this is a bug

it's getting removed
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62610

so we can't discuss it's validity as a (changed) feature ever? Some added content to the list of 4 things genetics can maybe do, sorta, if RNG likes them would certainly be welcome.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #62621

If genetics has a power that makes you have fire extinguishers (or stunbatons if RNG gives you lots of weaken punches) for hands and stops you from getting stunned, why can't it give you lasers for eyes?

Make it more visible (hulk is visible because it makes you green), like making your eyes a very brilliant and glaring red. Could've sworn it already did this, at least with the wizard spell, but when a geneticist gave it to me the other day it didn't.

Make it so when you have it you can't wear anything that covers the eyes or it would get burned off or something. Hulks can't use guns, you can't use thermals/welding goggles/masks/gas masks/SPACE HELMETS etc

Hulks get KO'd for a while if their health goes to low, and their power vanishes? For laser eyes, fire off too many shots at once and your eyes overheat, you go blind and can't shoot.

If hulk is balanced like that, lasers can be balanced like that too. If it's still too much of an issue, lower the damage from 20 to 15 or something.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #62660

Keep it to mess around with. Plus it gives precedence to ADD HEALING HANDS 2015.

Give it a cooldown, a toggle, and a strong visual indicator. Also a hunger hit could be a good plan.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62674

AnonymousNow wrote:Keep it to mess around with. Plus it gives precedence to ADD HEALING HANDS 2015.

Give it a cooldown, a toggle, and a strong visual indicator. Also a hunger hit could be a good plan.
Weight Even is easy to get and negates hunger

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62684

Does Weight Even negate natural nutriment loss due to hunger, or does it negate hunger itself?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62701

PKPenguin321 wrote:If genetics has a power that makes you have fire extinguishers (or stunbatons if RNG gives you lots of weaken punches) for hands and stops you from getting stunned, why can't it give you lasers for eyes?

Make it more visible (hulk is visible because it makes you green), like making your eyes a very brilliant and glaring red. Could've sworn it already did this, at least with the wizard spell, but when a geneticist gave it to me the other day it didn't.

Make it so when you have it you can't wear anything that covers the eyes or it would get burned off or something. Hulks can't use guns, you can't use thermals/welding goggles/masks/gas masks/SPACE HELMETS etc

Hulks get KO'd for a while if their health goes to low, and their power vanishes? For laser eyes, fire off too many shots at once and your eyes overheat, you go blind and can't shoot.

If hulk is balanced like that, lasers can be balanced like that too. If it's still too much of an issue, lower the damage from 20 to 15 or something.
The thing is no other superpower gives you an ACTUAL ranged weapon other than TK and the worst you can do is extignuishering someone who can just run off the screen away from you. This is shooting 20 damage lasers from across the screen while cuffed even

QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #62702

Make laser eyes function like Cyclops' laser eye power. Make them continuously fire unless wearing something over your eyes.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62703

QuartzCrystal wrote:Make laser eyes function like Cyclops' laser eye power. Make them continuously fire unless wearing something over your eyes.
That just makes it more powerful just get a welding mask or a rig helmet and no one knows you can shoot lasers from your eyes in a constant beam

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #62704

When your firing lasers you go blind, meaning if you want to fire a laser you have to blind yourself to do so.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #62706

Put on some sunglasses to prevent the blind, but it cuts laser damage in half.
Its stupid enough to work.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #62711

Exactly
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #62802

I don't like it. Remove.

I would like to see more utility powers instead.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #62804

Lumbermancer wrote:I don't like it. Remove.

I would like to see more utility powers instead.
HEALING HANDS 2015
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.