Soul Shards

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Saintish
Byond Username: Saintish

Soul Shards

Post by Saintish » #62854

I'd just like to know what exactly the reasoning behind making it so non-cultists/wizards can't use soul stones was. I mean, it could've been considered a glitch, sure, but it was so rare, but so fun when it happened. It's not like Security was making construct armies - no, just once in a rare while, a non-cultist crewmember would get a shade/construct sidekick, and fun times would be had by both of them.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Soul Shards

Post by Stickymayhem » #62856

I disagree with the change but I can see the reasoning.

It was a hard counter to construct cult and could involve a lot of confusing situations where 'friendly' constructs were killed or spawned constructs would attack security without realizing they aren't cultist owned.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62860

I suppose separate construct colours need to be a thing, after all. Red for cult, purple for wizard, black for artifact/Chaplain?
This, of course, also means that constructs get something along the lines of a pAI prompt that tells them, in obvious and marked text, to serve their creator above all else. Including not attacking the people that will robust said creator if provoked.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #62863

Unless you're literally afk when you get turned into a construct, it's pretty clear cut to see what context you got spawned it with. And just attacking people because 'lel master didn't tell me not to' is rule 1 as shit.
Non cult constructs seeing who was cult got fixed ages ago also, so there was literally no reason to do this.

The only explaination I got when I asked repeatedly (other then the literally out of date argument about seeing who was cult) was 'it doesnt make sense for normal crew to use magic'.

And this is in the same game where we can pick up and use magic staves, wands, spellbooks, teleport scrolls, on top of knowing how to do every job ever with 100% proficiency etc etc.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #62867

I have to voice my support for the return of non-cult/wizard constructs, since it's a very rare occasion that it'll be possible, the main issue of seeing cultists was fixed, the argument that "the crew can't use magic" is bogus not just in summon magic rounds, but also when you find a spellbook in the same way you're likely to find soul shards on the asteroid, AND in its current form it's a way to cult test and meta the roundtype.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Saintish

Post by Saintish » #62868

Hard counter to construct armies it may have been, there's fixes other than outright reverting it. Like a previous poster said, just make separate construct colors. Can't be that tough - like, a minute in Photoshop for each sprite, really.

also, apparently goonchem is getting reverted????? pls no, it's shit right now but Goofball's been working hard to fix it
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62869

Goonchem literally has two separate threads.
Unless my half-past-three-in-the-morning mind can't count again.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #62870

How was crew being able to use soul stones a 'hard counter' to construct armies?
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #62872

lumipharon wrote:How was crew being able to use soul stones a 'hard counter' to construct armies?
As far as I know when they said they "fixed non-cult constructs be able to see cult icons." it never was fixed because there were still instances of shades ratting out cult members. That basically meant instant GG no re, to the cult. There literally was no way of preventing security teams from getting a soul stone and having a shade work with it's sec master to rat out cultist.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62876

Could we make separate shades/constructs, and depending on your faction flag, when you use the soul shard you get different options to summon the correct shade? Would also add some flavor for some kind of bloody apparition for cult, versus some glowy monster for wizard, and just a generic(visible) goast for crew.
Saintish

Post by Saintish » #62877

RG4 wrote:
lumipharon wrote:How was crew being able to use soul stones a 'hard counter' to construct armies?
As far as I know when they said they "fixed non-cult constructs be able to see cult icons." it never was fixed because there were still instances of shades ratting out cult members. That basically meant instant GG no re, to the cult. There literally was no way of preventing security teams from getting a soul stone and having a shade work with it's sec master to rat out cultist.
No, it was fixed.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #62879

RG4 wrote:
It was fixed, but there was a loophole to do with cultists getting sharded. This was then fixed, merged, and linked to HG's PR, which he ignored and merged his thing anyway.
RG4

Post by RG4 » #62880

lumipharon wrote:
RG4 wrote:
It was fixed, but there was a loophole to do with cultists getting sharded. This was then fixed, merged, and linked to HG's PR, which he ignored and merged his thing anyway.
Fair enough, though I think crew members should not be able to make constructs if it's cult or wizard (granted what wizard fucking makes constructs?). Nar-Nar's evil magic enables cultist to summon empty shells and stones that capture their fellow crew member's souls. If you're not part of Nar-Nar's cult, whose own blood summons forth evil magic then why the hell should Security McHarmbaton and GraySirt McTolbelt who aren't apart of the evil blood pact be able to summon his evil creations. The only exception is a soul stone and shell found on mining.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #62893

Yeah, speaking as a miner who collects those fairly often, I would like to see crew-constructs come back.
RG4

Post by RG4 » #62905

iyaerP wrote:Yeah, speaking as a miner who collects those fairly often, I would like to see crew-constructs come back.
Only during non-cult or wizard rounds then it's find.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62919

RG4 wrote:
iyaerP wrote:Yeah, speaking as a miner who collects those fairly often, I would like to see crew-constructs come back.
Only during non-cult or wizard rounds then it's find.
Or make the mining constructs a completely different thing. Identical in function, but separate them enough with code so they dont get weird overlapping bugs like this.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #63005

non cult can't use blood magic, because they're not cult. They can could use soul shards/shells, just like wands/staffs/spellbooks etc, because they're enchanted items. The magic is already in them, they're ready to go.
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #63010

Here's why
>Scientist
>Cult, yay.
>Team up with cult pals, sac RD
>Leave to go get a medibot
>Suddenly a shade points at me
>Stunned, cuffed, and lasered to death wordlessly on the spot
>Immediately soul sharded before I can ghost.
>made into a shade, I can see who cultists are even though my master is not one
>Told to point out cultists.
>cultists have no way of knowing if I'm a "loyal" shade or not
If sec ever got their hands on a soul stone and shell it was game over for the cult. Until colored constructs are a thing this is a 10/10 change.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #63011

So basically all the fixes and things which prevent the issues that made HG remove non-cult/wizard usage of soul shards and construct shells have already been fixed and coded, ready to go?

Who did this? We ought to get them in here and show some support.
Pybro wrote:Here's why
With that code fix, this will no longer be possible or an issue.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Saintish

Post by Saintish » #63018

Pybro wrote:Here's why
>Scientist
>Cult, yay.
>Team up with cult pals, sac RD
>Leave to go get a medibot
>Suddenly a shade points at me
>Stunned, cuffed, and lasered to death wordlessly on the spot
>Immediately soul sharded before I can ghost.
>made into a shade, I can see who cultists are even though my master is not one
>Told to point out cultists.
>cultists have no way of knowing if I'm a "loyal" shade or not
If sec ever got their hands on a soul stone and shell it was game over for the cult. Until colored constructs are a thing this is a 10/10 change.
That was fixed, I'm pretty sure. Unless I've been misled.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #63252

Holy shit how many times do we have to say this? That bug WAS FIXED, it was fixed AND MERGED before HG's PR was merged. The merged PR was even linked into HG's PR, but he chose to ignore it anyway.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR NON CULTISTS TO MAKE SHADES/CONSTRUCTS THAT CAN SEE WHO IS A CULTIST.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6922
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #63261

Then explain how wizards can hand crew wands and books.

Or how the mime makes actual walls.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #63283

Violaceus wrote:Of course everyone will disagree with me.
Because its dumb.

If you leave soul shards, the wizards spellbook or staffs and the like on the ground during your rampage its your own fault when you get dunked with it.

Blah blah backstory blah blah lore nobody cares about any of that stuff anyway and it promotes bad behaviors
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #63291

wat. Sting is an ability, a soul stone is an item. An enchanted item.

We are not saying 'dunk wizards and extract spells out of their brains'.

We are saying it makes sense to use this enchanted/magic item, just like we use other enchanted/magic items, just like we use other items.

The magic is already in the stone, non magical people can't make them, they can just activate what is already setup to do a fixed thing.
It's like a computer with a pre-programmed function, you don't need to understan it/be able to recreate it to press the go button.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #63325

lumipharon wrote:wat. Sting is an ability, a soul stone is an item. An enchanted item.

We are not saying 'dunk wizards and extract spells out of their brains'.

We are saying it makes sense to use this enchanted/magic item, just like we use other enchanted/magic items, just like we use other items.

The magic is already in the stone, non magical people can't make them, they can just activate what is already setup to do a fixed thing.
It's like a computer with a pre-programmed function, you don't need to understan it/be able to recreate it to press the go button.
How would most people know that the chunk of rock needs ot be used on someone in crit or on a dying body
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #63343

And my point is we already have
A: Precendence of literally every other magic thing in the game
and
B: The fluff point that it's not 'using magic' per say, in that it's using an object, that is itself, magical.

So magic space jesus makes a magic rock honk when you use it on someone. Random scrubs honk people with magic rock because it was magic space jesus that put the magic on the rock, not them.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #63348

>being this literal
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #63352

Pretty sure the entire point of wands and staffs and magical items in most TTRPGs is to allow mundane people to cast magic without actually being magical.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #63412

Violaceus wrote:I just want to see some difference and background in various antagonists, instead of cultist being just generic human with X item and wizard being just generic human with Y item.

I imagine that becoming a wizard takes decades of studies and preparation, and all of that just to learn "okay I just point this wand at him and shake it"?

Similiary
>be Nar'Sie
>give power of trapping souls and making monsters out of them to faithful followers
>but also grant this power to enemies of cult
wat
The point of a wand or staff is to allow spells to be cast by non-magic users or to save spell slots.

Pretty much it is just point and glowy thing shoots out
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017