[POLL] Robotics to science

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should Roboticist job be removed and become part of normal science jobs?

Bot Alert
2%
Bot Alert
2%
Bot Alert
2%
Yes, it should
7%
Yes, it should
7%
Yes, it should
7%
No, it should not.
25%
No, it should not.
25%
No, it should not.
25%

Total votes: 118

firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

[POLL] Robotics to science

Post by firecage » #62895

Basically, this is what I want to do. I want to remove the roboticist job slots, expand science job slots by 2, and make robotics into general scientist access. Currently Robotics is the only odd one out, because other than that Science is a multi-department-one-job thing.
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title edit for [poll]
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Re: Robotics to science

Post by Jeb » #62897

Then remove genetics and make it a science or medical slot. Robutticists are fine as is.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #62898

Good idea Jeb!
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62900

Always figured Robuttics for the bastard lovechild of Sci and Engy.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #62904

As long as they get to keep the badass jumpsuits which are probably a reference to something that I am not aware of. Except for... I think Penny having fanart of wearing one, I guess.

I am mentally resistant against the idea of homogenizing Geneticists and MDs but fuck it I can't come up with a good reason not to. That would mean RD would lose jurisdiction over Genetics, right?
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62923

Give them both jurisdiction over Genetics. Some departmental conflict could lead to some fun RP as the CMO wants Xray, but the RD stole the boards and demands 4 large beakers of acid and the hypo before giving them back.

Interdepartmental jobs seem interesting in concept, leave roboticist but add slight engineering access, geneticist is a med/sci hybrid. After all, every department is assigned a sec officer, which is a similar concept and it works quite well when they don't patrol/hunt traitors.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #62924

firecage wrote:Basically, this is what I want to do. I want to remove the roboticist job slots, expand science job slots by 2, and make robotics into general scientist access. Currently Robotics is the only odd one out, because other than that Science is a multi-department-one-job thing.
I like this. Robotics having access to 90% of science but scientists not having access the other way was shit and this fixes it. Now just fold genetics research into R&D and have the cloner be medic access.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #62969

Except it doesn't really work that way. Robotics has access to the science hallway (but no departments other than R&D ~not a fan of this anyway~) and science gets no access to robotics. I kinda like the concept of robotics kinda being its own island for balance reasons.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #62974

I'd be all for combining more jobs where it makes sense. It essentially gives people more things to do.

I'd say:

Atmos to Engineering.
Detective to Security.
Genetics to Medbay(cloning) and Science (genestuff).

Really you can still get the old clothing or whatever, there really is no point to not combine the jobs to make more sense. What are the downsides of combining? Because I can't really think of any.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #62979

the downsides are that it removes individuality for no reason and fucks with the balance of having certain job slots
think of how easy rnd would be if every scientist, not just the RD, could make mech parts
and how atmos would NEVER be set up and there would never be anyone responding to atmos alarms because now everyone is an engineer and its "not their job to fuck with that"
or how the actual purpose of the detective would be totally negated because everyone in security can just scan everything and find out whodunnit instantly
and that everyone being able to clone removes half of the entire point of being a geneticist, while the other half goes to scientists who DO NOT BENEFIT RESEARCH AT ALL by doing genetics
theres a reason there are separated jobs like this, so that people can fill a niche without having so much to do that they do nothing, and without trivializing important inconveniences or balance issues
saying "i cant think of any downsides!" is such a stupid argument when you dont even try
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #62983

miggles wrote:the downsides are that it removes individuality for no reason and fucks with the balance of having certain job slots
think of how easy rnd would be if every scientist, not just the RD, could make mech parts
and how atmos would NEVER be set up and there would never be anyone responding to atmos alarms because now everyone is an engineer and its "not their job to fuck with that"
or how the actual purpose of the detective would be totally negated because everyone in security can just scan everything and find out whodunnit instantly
and that everyone being able to clone removes half of the entire point of being a geneticist, while the other half goes to scientists who DO NOT BENEFIT RESEARCH AT ALL by doing genetics
theres a reason there are separated jobs like this, so that people can fill a niche without having so much to do that they do nothing, and without trivializing important inconveniences or balance issues
saying "i cant think of any downsides!" is such a stupid argument when you dont even try
You remove individuality when you start making more and more jobs. As every extra job removes content from another. Look at current Science people just divide the roles between themselves. How gullible to assume it can't work without even giving it a shot.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #62987

do you know what the word individuality even means?
it is the exact opposite of what you're saying it means.
jesus christ.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #62988

I disagree with merging the Robotics role with the Scientist role. That's giving way too much power to a single job role. Scientists already have a lot of content and power at their fingertips as it stands.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #62995

Phalanx300 wrote:
miggles wrote:the downsides are that it removes individuality for no reason and fucks with the balance of having certain job slots
You remove individuality when you start making more and more jobs. As every extra job removes content from another. Look at current Science people just divide the roles between themselves. How gullible to assume it can't work without even giving it a shot.
By merging robotics and general science you also increase the number of people with access to borg covers manifold. That itself is stupidly unbalancing.
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #63008

I'm neutral on whether to merge Robotics but I liked the idea of splitting Genetics, Medbay gets cloning and Science gets DNA Modification. Also on the flip side what about dividing Scientists into specific roles?
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #63017

No. Shit like this is always a terrible idea. Its bad enough that Scientists already need to fight over certain jobs in their department. Each area of Science should be its own mini-job that you need to select rather than it being decided after roundstart. Its an annoying clusterfuck and usually ends in one or two Scientists getting shafted.
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #63032

Have yet to see scientist seriously fighting over acces. By that logic we should divide all science jobs even further...
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #63045

Violaceus wrote:When I started playing, robotics was engineering/science sub-department with place at current tcomms and CE and RD were basically never even entering it.
Ah, a wonderful time where your department was long and hard to see, on the quietest corridor in the station...
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #63047

I'm only going to say no to this because this means science would get tech storage access. Which they will loot every single round for the analyzer because they are lazy, guaranteed.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #63049

Robotics and Sci each have enough content to make them powerful and interesting roles that stand on their own. There are some jobs which could be merged, but I don't consider those two among them.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #63051

Also, play on lowpop (Basil) and this would be true. Roboticists and scientists share access.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: [POLL] Robotics to science

Post by lumipharon » #63172

I propose we remove all job slots and everyone is an all access assistant.

But seriously, the fab no longer has a ID requirement, and you can just hack the door open/break a window/ask the AI to set emergency access on the door etc etc.
Why do we want to remove job diversity, why do we want 7 people crowding into robotics?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63178

Phalanx300 wrote:I'd be all for combining more jobs where it makes sense. It essentially gives people more things to do.

I'd say:

Atmos to Engineering.
Detective to Security.
Genetics to Medbay(cloning) and Science (genestuff).

Really you can still get the old clothing or whatever, there really is no point to not combine the jobs to make more sense. What are the downsides of combining? Because I can't really think of any.
>Getting rid of detective

Oh god please no. I think having a higher variety of job slots keeps it fresh and stops one job from having too much power and access to toys, which science already has a shitload of. This seems like a solution looking for a problem, keep it the way it is.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #63181

Everyone saying yes should go here: byond://game.tgstation13.org:2337

Because it's already like that there.
Atmos to Engineering.
Detective to Security.
Also true there.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63184

I don't know about atmos, but detective does not have shit for regular sec access. I cant even vend cuffs from the secvendor. If there is no HoP and i am the only security on station i sometimes am forced to enforce the law by beating people up and tossing them in trash bins
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #63185

Wyzack wrote:I don't know about atmos, but detective does not have shit for regular sec access. I cant even vend cuffs from the secvendor. If there is no HoP and i am the only security on station i sometimes am forced to enforce the law by beating people up and tossing them in trash bins
Well, they will once the server updates. I recently pushed the change.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #63188

Ikarrus wrote:Everyone saying yes should go here: byond://game.tgstation13.org:2337

Atmos to Engineering.
Detective to Security.
Also true there.
On top of the detective problem, robotics doesn't have full science access. I've spawned as robotics as only science personel and therefor had to do my own research, but without xenobio access I had no plasma for easy plasma/materials 3.

Plus the only reason things are done this way is becuase of the consistent lowpop so it HAS to be done that way. Tons of shifts where we have like 9 assistants and no service, cargo or sec, 1 engineer, 1 chemist, and some assorted command staff.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #63311

Snakebutt wrote:
Ikarrus wrote:Everyone saying yes should go here: byond://game.tgstation13.org:2337

Atmos to Engineering.
Detective to Security.
Also true there.
On top of the detective problem, robotics doesn't have full science access. I've spawned as robotics as only science personel and therefor had to do my own research, but without xenobio access I had no plasma for easy plasma/materials 3.

Plus the only reason things are done this way is becuase of the consistent lowpop so it HAS to be done that way. Tons of shifts where we have like 9 assistants and no service, cargo or sec, 1 engineer, 1 chemist, and some assorted command staff.
There's always a stick of plasma in the misc testing lab. Which you have access to.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #63326

Merging robo and science is a pretty bad idea. Scientist as a role already has way too much access to way too much stuff and can pretty effortlessly turn themselves into a chemist-roboticist-geneticist-whatevertheywant without trying. We need to be figuring out ways to make them much less versatile, not ways to make them even more so.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #63365

Move robotics back to its old position 2015
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy