Change availability of AI's VOX words

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Change availability of AI's VOX words

Post by Timbrewolf » #64748

Every AI player seems to enjoy using the VOX words to talk like an emagged beepsky (ACTIVATE SUIT SENSORS ABORTIONS ABORTIONS ABORTIONS ABORTIONS) while otherwise talking in general normally and acting like they should according to asimov.

I had yet another confrontation with a player today after asking them not to spam comms with verbose messages of relentless swearwords and voxtest. Their response was that it was "tg culture" and I was being a dick.

It strikes me as really odd that an asimov AI is practically encouraged to swear and yell at the crew when they're supposed to be forced into a state of subservience by their laws. Thusly I think we should go ultra conservative and change the availability of anything remotely offensive or vulgar from VOX until the AI has been given a law 0 or a hacked/ion law.

The "iconic" vox puking that Beepsky does is, after all, something that only occurs after he's been emagged. He doesn't scream that at every person he encounters or arrests. It seems out of place for the AI to be spitting out that same sound byte while still asimov when they're supposed to be protecting the crew and making sure they don't get hurt.

There's a double-standard in AI communications because of voxtest specifically. If you saw an AI type out "FUCK YOUR CUNT YOU SHIT EATING COCK SUCKER" you would assume malf. As admins we would take notice of someone acting strangely out of character for an AI. But when they're blasting it over VOX everyone just assumes it normal. That doesn't add up.

I think specifically voxtest is also terrible as it allows AI players to easily cram a fuckton of VOX words into everyone's ears that they've heard a million times but that's just my opinion on it. Regardless, AI's cussing like a sailor over VOX while asimov shouldn't happen. An AI calling you an abortion and swearing up a storm should only happen when its malfunctioning or hacked somehow.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Change availability of AI's VOX words

Post by bandit » #64756

The thing about VOX is that it's well equipped with just about every swear you'd ever need, while it lacks a fuckton of crucial terms that the AI actually has to use, so either the AI has to creatively cobble together whatever words might sound like syllables, or go full JOHNSON INSPECTION ALL DAY MEDBAY like the system implicitly encourages it to (or just ignore vox entirely). I don't see this problem being fixed unless VOX gets a vocabulary that's actually useful for its intended purpose.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #64758

We could always switch back to the Black Mesa vox. Much more utility. As it is, the current vox is ONLY good for swearing at the crew and, frankly, it's not in conflict or confrontation with Asimov because words literally cannot harm.

But yeah black mesa vox fuck copyright
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #64760

I don't see any problem with AIs using voxtest2 as long as they aren't spamming the shit out of it. It just seems like harmless fun. The change almost seems like another one of those "We're trying to remove stuff that might offend people" things. >_>;

I say we keep it and just add words to it if we can.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #64766

Pretty much agree with everything Anon said.

I just roll my eyes every time we get an AI that starts using ABORTIONS in every single vox announcement. It's not funny and frankly a bit annoying.

Vulgarity is only funny when it's not used in excess.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #64774

But guys relevant words encourage METAGAMING! *GASP FALL OVER SHOUT ABORTIONS A THOUSAND TIMES*

As long as I can tell people they have a nice ass I am happy as.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #64775

I just want to get rid of the voxtests. They're getting spammed so often it's killing it.
Their response was that it was "tg culture" and I was being a dick.
Pfffhahahah I hope you told him to fuck off.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #64776

I don't see a problem with it, but it was really awkward to explain to my wife on the other end of the living room.
Probably should have a straw poll, I wouldn't mind either way, so I abstain as I see both sides of the issue.

Also, Was someone really that disrespectful over it or were you paraphrasing?
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #64781

asimov ais arent required to be nice to people wtf
im ok with removing voxtest2 but there should be no reason to prevent them from saying anything vulgar in general that doesnt even make sense
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #64785

Ikarrus wrote:I just want to get rid of the voxtests. They're getting spammed so often it's killing it.
Their response was that it was "tg culture" and I was being a dick.
Pfffhahahah I hope you told him to fuck off.
We had a bit more of a conversation about it and I think I understood some more of their surprise at being PM'ed about their vox message and they understood more of why I thought what they were sending to the playerbase over vox was unnecessary and abuse of that system.
miggles wrote:asimov ais arent required to be nice to people wtf
im ok with removing voxtest2 but there should be no reason to prevent them from saying anything vulgar in general that doesnt even make sense
For real if you say "Hey AI open this door please" and they say "FUCK YOU ABORTION" you're going to immediately think "holy shit is this thing malf?". No AI talks like that. No.AI.talks.like.this.

But for some reason when it comes to vox every AI is tourettes guy.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #64787

if they follow the order then it doesnt fucking matter
there is no ai law saying you have to be super nice to everyone
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #64789

It's not true that words cannot harm, but everyone here seems to think that "OUR AIS ARE NOT ASIMOV ASIMOV", so I guess it is true here?

Anyway, I don't really see a problem with it, unless it's outright spam. Never understood people who are incredibly annoyed by sounds.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64803

No to removing words, except possibly abortions.
Yes to adding more. Such as "genetics". Or "cloning". I can't believe I didn't find those.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #64814

I would like it if we added in more useful words that are actually useful.

I don't care about "muh meta", I really don't want to have to sing a song and dance when I'm trying to tell the crew that there are Nuke Ops onboard via Vox.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64817

Doesn't AWWPERTIVE DETECTED usually help?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #64818

Yes, but its still obnoxious I have to mix and match words just to say something that should really be readily available.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64823

The only thing we're missing is "nuclear". Operative detected is a thing that works rather quickly and clearly.

Now what we need is jobs. Detected is a thing, why is Detective not? What about Engineer(ing)?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #64832

vox is so limited the only thing you can do is use it for amusement

besides the vox is so easy to get rid of

herhe you go i fix problem

"ai pls stop making stupid announcements law2"

if anyone was bothered by it this would happen immediately, since it doesn't you can guess that nobody really minds.
bandit

Post by bandit » #64878

DemonFiren wrote:The only thing we're missing is "nuclear". Operative detected is a thing that works rather quickly and clearly.

Now what we need is jobs. Detected is a thing, why is Detective not? What about Engineer(ing)?
Seriously it's a sign that the VOX priorities are fucked up when "engineer" is not a word but "clown" is

admin feedback pls
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64883

Nonononono, the problem is with "clown" being in, but not "mime".

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #64885

DemonFiren wrote:Nonononono, the problem is with "clown" being in, but not "mime".
It's because mimes are silent.

Get it?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #64893

I am all for adding a better repertoir of words to vox, as long as assblast USA is not removed. AI should be able to reference each major department
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64903

Please do leave in helicopter golf, though.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #64931

I think outright removing shit like voxtest is way too handholdy, since Asimov silicons have to obey and protect humans, but they have no obligations to like them, or even be polite to them. That said, people that just randomly/repeatedly use that shit should get punished for it, since they're essentially just being dicks and spamming sound at literally the whole crew.
Vox needs a better, more useful vocab though.

Malf AI's that say 'die die die die die die' with vox are pretty 10/10 though.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #64969

If robbing an AI of its ability to spam vox at the crew ruins your AI's personality, what personality do you have?

XD I CALLED THEM ABORTIONS AGAIN DID YOU HEAR THAT? I BRING SUCH COLOR AND LIFE TO THIS GAME.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #64989

I really don't see an issue with vox besides how lengthy and heavily worded voxtest2 is. It wouldn't hurt to add more words to make it a better utility, but I believe in other threads it was mentioned that the method for creating the vox voice we have now has long since been lost.

But I mean so what if the AI says abortions? It literally doesn't matter. You can roll your eyes or whatever, but after that it's over and someone is probably getting a laugh out of it (I know I did back when I was new). If it really becomes an issue with straight-up spam, then enforce the "Do not abuse vox" rule that I'm pretty sure already exists.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #64996

Swearing at the crew and insulting them isn't breaking any laws.

If you want the AI to stop just order it to? Whats the problem?
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #64998

As others have said, your assumption that the AI and borgs are somehow meant to be nice or speak nicely to humans isn't actually grounded in any sort of reality. Silicons are bound only to their laws and silicon policy which guides the following of those laws. Since neither of those defines the AI or borg's personality, they're free under the RP standards on the server to do as they please.

Law 1 says they cannot harm humans or allow them to be harmed, but it doesn't require that the silicons like humans.
Law 2 says they have to follow instructions from humans but it doesn't require that they like the instructions given or enjoy opening door #120194242.
Law 3 doesn't mention humans at all.

Which law should I look at here to find the borgs or AI acting out of character by saying mean things? Assuming "lol malf" because the AI swore is silly.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #65009

A silicon can literally say it is going to murder everyone and watch them die slow, or that it hopes it gets subverted. Of course it cant ACTUALLY harm anyone, or willingly let it get subverted.
So yeah, I am all fine and dandy with being called an abortion. It's ony an issue when they spam that shit, which is an OOC issue anyway.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #65012

lumipharon wrote:A silicon can literally say it is going to murder everyone and watch them die slow, or that it hopes it gets subverted. Of course it cant ACTUALLY harm anyone, or willingly let it get subverted.
So yeah, I am all fine and dandy with being called an abortion. It's ony an issue when they spam that shit, which is an OOC issue anyway.
Basically this. I started styling my newest AI character after the AI from Mush. NERON literally spends the whole of every Mush flight telling the crew how awful they are and how excited it will be to be rid of them. Every time somebody dies, it celebrates or makes some snide comment about humans dying. Of course they never actually harm anyone and there's no implication that NERON is in any way asimov, but his actual non-verbal behavior matches to the behavior we expect of asimov silicons (except NERON never intervenes in fighting or combat or really anything at all apart from ship announcements and prohibiting grenade use through magic.) The fact remains that there ARE prior art cases of AIs that function similarly to our AIs and yet don't actually like or treat humans with "respect" or whatever.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #65029

lumipharon wrote:A silicon can literally say it is going to murder everyone and watch them die slow, or that it hopes it gets subverted. Of course it cant ACTUALLY harm anyone, or willingly let it get subverted.
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

You can't really watch them die and do nothing, but yes. I sometimes openly state that I hope all humans die painfully as a borg just because I can and I like to ruffle the crews feathers when they assume I'm rogue.

Either way, taking away AI vox words isn't necessary. Just give them more words that they can use more often to help encourage them from doing nothing but call the crew ass abortions.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #65032

I was only referring to my example. A silicon can threaten to murder you bloody, but can't follow through on it.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #65069

Loonikus wrote:
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

You can't really watch them die and do nothing, but yes. I sometimes openly state that I hope all humans die painfully as a borg just because I can and I like to ruffle the crews feathers when they assume I'm rogue.

Either way, taking away AI vox words isn't necessary. Just give them more words that they can use more often to help encourage them from doing nothing but call the crew ass abortions.
Specifically, the claim is "A silicon can literally say, it is going to murder everyone and watch them die slow"
It is not "A silicon can literally say it is going to murder everyone and [it can] watch them die slow"
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #65076

This is terrible and everybody involved should feel ashamed.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #65096

In hindsight I think my suggestion to gate certain vox words behind the AI's lawset is a bit too heavy-handed and I'm essentially recommending punishing everyone because a few people misuse a system.
If you guys are saying you can be the George Carlin of AI's and effectively use these words in a humorous way that adds to the environment it's not my job to stand between you and that.

That was a rash request and I apologize for suggesting it. I'm sure somebody can do it right, I just wish I saw that person online and playing AI more often.

What I can do instead is ask coders nicely to remove voxtest2 (which is happening) and re-iterate in the rules something that should be common sense. New to the Roleplay Policy is Rule #9:
Abusing the vox function as the AI to repeatedly swear ("Hello crew you are all abortions abortions abortions abortions abortions abortions...") is distracting and out of character. Abusing this function will result in a warning and potentially a ban from the AI job if you continue to do so.
Which should have been something obvious to everyone, but since it's something I've only recently started to look into the actual rules of, noticed we never had anything actually codified to reflect. We have rules against spamming IC, spamming OOC, and now spamming vox. Excessive repetition and tourrettes outbursts should stop now.

If you want to announce to the crew "ACTIVATE SUIT SENSORS FUCKING MEATBAGS" go right ahead.

If you say something like "FUCK YOU FUCK SHIT FUCK CUNT CUNT CUNT FUCK SHIT FUCK CUNT" you're going to get nailed.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #65099

Don't we have rules against spamming already?

Should cover it as repeating a swear heaps is pretty much textbook spam.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #65102

Just for laff
<scaredofshadows> should be able to wash the AI's mouth out with soap
<An0n3> That would actually be pretty fucking funny
<An0n3> If you take a bar of soap to an AI and hit it with it it removes all the swear words from their vocabulary
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #65103

Incomptinence wrote:Don't we have rules against spamming already?

Should cover it as repeating a swear heaps is pretty much textbook spam.
We do, which is why this is stupid.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #65104

Common sense would dictate that you shouldn't do this shit, that that part of Rule 1 would apply here as well. It seems there is a need to point this out though.

I don't want people to mistakenly assume this is "tg culture" and vox is some kind of exception.

EDIT: Updated the AI job page of the wiki to reflect this as well. As far as RAW goes vox hasn't ever been mentioned before now.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #65142

... Guys, An0n3 straight-up said that he has reconsidered based on the feedback and that (other than the removal of the built-in spam sequence) it's just going to be strict(er?) enforcement of that your Vox swearing/long sequences you make? They have to have actual content.

Thread over, mission accomplished.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
bandit

Post by bandit » #65266

vox_login is staying though, right? It contains zero swears and I always use it upon roundstart.

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #65332

bandit wrote:vox_login is staying though, right? It contains zero swears and I always use it upon roundstart.
Only until the reference police get it.