Make the monkey tripping mechanic sane.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Make the monkey tripping mechanic sane.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650752

Ever since https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/55614 its been really weird to interact with, monkeys tripping over each other. Its not even from the monkey's species! it comes from the AI controller which is really fucky considering monkeys who have been humanized haven lost their AI controller since 2020 but that's probably a separate issue honestly and also probably a bug that has persisted for 2 years.

The on cross proc shouldn't knock over the monkey if:
>The monkey initiated the movement not actually relevant to my understanding.
>The person who crossed the monkey wasn't in combat mode
>The crossed individual is another monkey (or a dwarf if we are feeling spicy)
>The monkey isn't a monkey (but this is a separate issue by fixed by removing the monkey's AI on humanification)
Last edited by Itseasytosee2me on Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: Make the monkey tripping mechanic sane.

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #650760

God no, it works perfectly right now. Monkeys used to be so fucking annoying and they're so much better now.

At the very least I'm giving a firm hell no to your second requested change regarding combat mode.

And the first one where the monkey initiates the movement, actually. That was also really fucking annoying.

The current state of monkeys is one of the best qol changes on the game honestly.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650762

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:47 am God no, it works perfectly right now. Monkeys used to be so fucking annoying and they're so much better now.

At the very least I'm giving a firm hell no to your second requested change regarding combat mode.

And the first one where the monkey initiates the movement, actually. That was also really fucking annoying.

The current state of monkeys is one of the best qol changes on the game honestly.
I don't understand how any of these suggested changes would effect anyone in any meaningful way. Maybe you didn't understand my post, or maybe you are just psychotic and feel inhibited by the fact that I order to knock a monkey down you need to try to forcibly enter their space rather than swap positions with them. It doesn't make any logical sense and is anoying as fuck right now. You have been made compliment with bad code if you think that a monkey who moves into you should be knocked down.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #650768

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:26 am
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:47 am God no, it works perfectly right now. Monkeys used to be so fucking annoying and they're so much better now.

I don't understand how any of these suggested changes would effect anyone in any meaningful way. Maybe you didn't understand my post, or maybe you are just psychotic and feel inhibited by the fact that I order to knock a monkey down you need to try to forcibly enter their space rather than swap positions with them. It doesn't make any logical sense and is anoying as fuck right now. You have been made compliment with bad code if you think that a monkey who moves into you should be knocked down.
No, im saying the current situation feels the best from a gameplay perspective, even if it looks rather silly. Monkeys are annoying as fuck, and I dont care how silly it looks, monkeys are a LOT less annoying ever since the PR you're complaining about. It would make monkeys a lot worse and more annoying to revert these changes.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #650770

Monkeys being annoying is a feature isn't it?
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650788

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:28 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:26 am

No, im saying the current situation feels the best from a gameplay perspective, even if it looks rather silly. Monkeys are annoying as fuck, and I dont care how silly it looks, monkeys are a LOT less annoying ever since the PR you're complaining about. It would make monkeys a lot worse and more annoying to revert these changes.
I'm not talking about a revert I just want it to be moderately more sane and better to look at. The changes I propose are not going to change how you interact with monkeys, or how monkeys interact with you. If you wanna knock em over, you can still just run into them with combat mode on. The mechanic is unpolished, and just because you like the way it is now doesn't mean their isn't a way to make it feel better while maintaining the functionality of the mechanic.

You must be misunderstanding my point or something, do you think I'm suggesting that monkeys should trip the player that runs into them? I'm talking about the monkeys falling over all the god damn time in scenarios where they really shouldn't.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650855

Locking this thread because I coded it myself.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later