Deathsquads (And ERTs)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Fayrik
Byond Username: Fayrik

Deathsquads (And ERTs)

Post by Fayrik » #78918

So, I've recently noticed that with the exception of the work that Paprika did on ERTs, Deathsquads have remained mostly unchanged since before I even started playing this game.
This isn't a bad thing per-sé, but I feel that their age is showing, and they could use a little sprucing up to make them more relevant and effective.
I'll consider any suggestions for either Deathsquads or ERTs, but bear in mind things like "Give ERTs magic" will only make them less likely to be spawned.

So far, Steelpoint and Lumipharon have pointed out that Deathsquad Pulse Rifles now only have 40 rounds, which may be a little lacking for a Deathsquad trooper's needs. (I'd like additional input on this point as well. What do you think is a fair amount of ammo for a full size pulse rifle?)
I've also considered removing the Deathsquad's medkits in favour of combat injectors, since when you're in the heat of combat, a medkit really does not cut it.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Re: Deathsquads (And ERTs)

Post by Bluespace » #78921

Deathsquad needs to be the omega.
It needs to be so ridiculously overpowered, an unstoppable force that takes 10 men to take down 1 trooper.
I play Boris Pepper.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #78924

Power armour.
私は完璧
Allohsnackbar

Post by Allohsnackbar » #78926

Bluespace wrote:Deathsquad needs to be the omega.
It needs to be so ridiculously overpowered, an unstoppable force that takes 10 men to take down 1 trooper.
This.
Opposed to a greyshit getting lucky with a disarm or stunprod+cable cuffs.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #78927

well we have nodrop implants now we may as well use them for the deathsquads

also, the pulse rifles really should be just infinite ammo, I mean, if you're at the stage where you've pressed a button for a deathsquad, you may as well give them weapons that don't run out of juice.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #78928

Allohsnackbar wrote:
This.
Opposed to a greyshit getting lucky with a disarm or stunprod+cable cuffs.
A clown being able to take down a highly trained coporate spec ops guy is half the charm of this game for me. Everyone is on more or less equal footing.

What's wrong with an assistant being a hero? If the deathquad cant stop a guy running up to them with a prod when they're all armed with pulse rifles why shouldnt they die?

If you're just going to make them invincible and everyone to die no matter what then save everyone 10 minutes and use the nuke code instead. It won't be any fun for the crew if invincible guys with infinite ammo just murder everyone.
Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #78935

imblyings wrote:well we have nodrop implants now we may as well use them for the deathsquads
This is exactly the sort of idea I was hoping for. I'll definitely have to look into the implants to see what sort of crazy stuff I can do with that.
imblyings wrote:also, the pulse rifles really should be just infinite ammo
I'm curious to know if anyone disagrees with this because I think it would be easier to add than giving them x amount of shots.
Remie Richards wrote:Power armour.
Sure, I'll use the new ninja code, once you're done with it. :ninja:
Kor wrote:
Allohsnackbar wrote:
This. Opposed to a greyshit getting lucky with a disarm or stunprod+cable cuffs.
What's wrong with an assistant being a hero?
Now this is something I wasn't expecting, but it's a pretty serious discussion to be had if we're ever going to make any further changes to the Deathsquad.

What should the Deathsquad be? I've always wanted them to be a surgically precise military force that can be sent in for almost any purpose, with enough powerful tools at their disposal to guarantee success.
...In reality, I see them being more used to destroy absolutely everything and everyone.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #78938

The name 'deathsquad' doesn't really suggest anything other than 'kill everyone'.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #78939

Deathsquad aren't intended to be stopped. They are a round ending event for when the station situation has grown too severe to warrant evacuation.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #78952

Scones wrote:Deathsquad aren't intended to be stopped. They are a round ending event for when the station situation has grown too severe to warrant evacuation.
Then do this:
- Give them bowman headsets, as they have a vulnerability to flashbangs, currently.
- Make their energy and laser resists 80 as the rest are. (They may not always be using the shield!)
- Give them the NODROP implant.

This will ensure that only truly terrible Deathsquad players can be easily stopped.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #78960

The squad should probably have CNS rebooter implants if they're going to have Nodrop implants, since the two have the same research requirements and mineral costs. Good in both "make em' fucking scary" and "make them fluff consistent" standpoint.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #78965

Make them augged up the ass. Makes sense, makes them less human which is kind of neat for fluffs, creepiness and silicons and makes them strong but not untouchable.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #78966

Stickymayhem wrote:Make them augged up the ass. Makes sense, makes them less human which is kind of neat for fluffs, creepiness and silicons and makes them strong but not untouchable.
This, but like 33% per limb, so that you get random sown together rag tag Death squaddies, like the veterans of battles that *barely* survived, with only a lust for blood remaining.
私は完璧
Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #78969

Gun Hog wrote: Then do this:
- Give them bowman headsets, as they have a vulnerability to flashbangs, currently.
It was giving them bowmans that sparked my interest in this topic, actually.
Remie Richards wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:Make them augged up the ass. Makes sense, makes them less human which is kind of neat for fluffs, creepiness and silicons and makes them strong but not untouchable.
This, but like 33% per limb, so that you get random sown together rag tag Death squaddies, like the veterans of battles that *barely* survived, with only a lust for blood remaining.
I love it. I think some sort of make_augmented proc would compliment this so that admin events could benefit from that level of detail too.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #78970

Scones wrote:Deathsquad aren't intended to be stopped. They are a round ending event for when the station situation has grown too severe to warrant evacuation.
Then just go for the aforementioned nuke. It's no fun for anyone but the ~5 deathsquad members who go around waving their murderboners if you can't even fight back. There's no "counterplay" or whatever the hell it's called if you just sit around waiting to die against the unstunnable guys with infinite ammo.

Plus the best parts of SS13 come out when things that aren't intended happen. I've said I view SS13 from a /tg/ pen and paper standpoint, and if there is one thing /tg/ taught me to hate, it's railroading and unkillable DMPCs.

By all means buff their pulse rifles back to 200 rounds, but please don't make them too tanky.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #78972

don't give them augs or implants, otherwise some heuheuh ling/traitor with an emp flash light/guy with an ion rifle will utterly ass fuck them.

Just give them back their fuckhuge ammo count so they're not reduced to e-swording things after 60 seconds, and actually give them the death squad mech (maraurder) to use some times.
Hell, when shit's REALLY hit the fan, send it full deathsquad MECH TEAM, seraph for the leader, marauders for the rest, all with pulse cannons and other nasty rape shit.

Death squad is for assblasting everything, ERT is for when you don't want to assblast everything.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #78979

Deathsquid if you want them to be purely for completely ass blastery, give them all the Hulk's no-knockdown mutations and magnetic-combat gloves with admin spawn firing pins. Bam they can't be disarmed,knocked down or their own weapons turning against them.

Hell send in the Sith Deathsquad. All them with TK and Xray vision, noslips, and their choice of e-swords and energy shield.

ClownSquad with marauders armred with honker 5000s and squeaky sound effects.

Hell lets have gimmick DeathSquads for fun really:
A literal DeathSquid - Squid Squad
DeathClown - Clowns armed with Repeating Honk Rifles and The Honker Mother brand mech :honkman:
The Inquisition - A cadre of red robed Spanish Monks armed to the teeth, no centcom notification of being sent.
Sith Extermination Squad - Deathsquad that has TK and Xray mutations, armed with armored robes, combat boots and gloves, and their choice of e-sword or energy shield.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #78995

Give them more toys
Spoiler:
One idea I had was an alternative set of armor they could go with, specifically a lightly armored exoskeleton. The protection it would provide would be laughable compared to the death squad armor but would let the officer move faster, quick choke people (grabs would immediately go into the kill state), pick up heavy objects like lockers and crates and throw them at people for serious damage or beat unrobust dim wits with them for even more damage as well as an instant knockdown, and pry open airlocks. Show how fucking robust you are by strangling a poor limp dick cock eyed assistant with one hand while smashing the clown's stupid ass face in with a locker with your other hand.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #79005

if someone is forewarned and prepared enough to have EMP kit for disabling deathsquads and actually pull it off, they deserve the kills

also while Kor has a point, everyone else arguing that they should be round enders have a point as well. That being said, why not have deathsquads as they are now (except with buffed ammo counts) and another type of deathsquad buffed with implants etc? Admins could use the former when a round-ender isn't needed but the station still needs a formidable ally/enemy and admins could use the latter when they just want the round ended fast but don't want to resort to a nuke. You could just simply fluff it as deathsquads and elite deathsquads.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #79008

it's what the deathsquad mechs are for
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #79019

Suggested deathsquad kit:
-jumpsuit
-backpack
-Dicksquad armor
-Dicksquad hat
-Centcomm bowman
-SWAT mask
-Combatgloves
-SWAT boots/noslips/noslip jackboots
-Pulse gun
-Mateba
-esword
-eshield
-2 bricks of c4
-Thermals
-Stun implant/adrenal implant
-NODROP implant
-Explosive implant
-Badass names
-License to kill (actual piece of paper saying 'KILL THEM ALL')
-Nuke codes.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #79089

if someone is forewarned and prepared enough to have EMP kit for disabling deathsquads and actually pull it off, they deserve the kills
Maybe, but EMP stuff is more 'niche' than 'endgame': the problem isn't the difficulty of making it but the fact it's not normal to make.

If EMPs were a hard counter to deathsquads, pretty much unblockable by and exceptionally dangerous to them, I'm not sure it would be nearly as uncommon.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #79102

Who cares, they're never used, it's like arguing over a 1906 jalopy car that no one drives.
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

Post by LNGLY » #79125

Giving deathsquids nodrop and antistun just sounds terribly unfun, you might as well replace the deathsquad button with a 'kill all players' button at that point because it's a foregone conclusion that they'll win. All the fun from deathsquads comes from when some clown slips them and single-handedly saves the station.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #79136

oranges wrote:Who cares, they're never used, it's like arguing over a 1906 jalopy car that no one drives.

I think if properly thought about and updated, deathsquads could see more use.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #79154

Cheimon wrote:
oranges wrote:Who cares, they're never used, it's like arguing over a 1906 jalopy car that no one drives.

I think if properly thought about and updated, deathsquads could see more use.
Their use is something that inherently means they shouldn't come up very much.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #79497

I dunno about that, I think some rounds will always drag on too long and more frequent use of an updated deathsquad might be a good way to fix that.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #79498

I think what some people are asking is for a special antagonist that are essentially the Deathsquad, but have a IC reason to not only want to attack the station but be overwhelmingly powerful enough to do so, but they are not Aliens or Nuke Ops.

I mean, I can see why. It makes more sense than just sending in the DS for no reason.

E: But also the reason why it should be unique is that the admins are sending them in to end the round, not like Ops where anyone can win.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #79500

Pulse rifles only have 40 shots?
Revert that, its dumb.

Give them bowmans then they're strong enough for a round ender.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #79503

It was buffed to 80 but I'm probely either going to buff it to 200 or just give them the infinite ammo Pulse Destroyers.
qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #79578

Energy shield was already great buff for them. If DS is not robust it deserves to loose as every other special role.
Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #79682

Steelpoint wrote:It was buffed to 80 but I'm probely either going to buff it to 200 or just give them the infinite ammo Pulse Destroyers.
If you go for the infinite ammo option, I highly recommend that you make it a child type of the loyalty pinned rifle, so that I can be lazy when it comes to spawning items in.
It's what I had planned to do originally.

So yeah, I didn't bother with wrestling with the augmentation code, and I forgot the combat injectors... To add to that, I'm waiting until Remie finishes ninja so that I can try making some power armour.

Also, if anyone sees a Deathsquad called now, I'd really like to know how 80 shots works out. Is it enough? Is it too much? Do they need even MORE? Etc, etc.