I like the text-to-speech, What do you think?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

what do you think about Text-to-Speech?

I LOVE it! I will play more!
25%
I like it
35%
I am so-so about it
18%
It is overrated
14%
I HATE it! I will play less!
8%

Total votes: 65

Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

I like the text-to-speech, What do you think?

Post by Constellado » #681924

I saw text to speech being talked about on discord, and I currently LOVE it. But! I have heard of people not playing because of it.
Do you like it? Why? Why not?

Personally, I love how the text to speech is like. I love that I can eavesdrop on people while hiding behind a wall. I like how you can pick a voice for your character now. It makes for fantastic funny moments when the TTS system messes up and says something in a funny way. I love how people are now typing longer (and more spell checked) sentences just so they can hear the TTS more. I love how it incentivises people to talk and interact. Yes there are some kinks that needs worked out (we need more accents from different places for example) , but the fun and enjoyment that it brings me is enough to make me stay up late and play during deadpop hours.
I do understand that I may an odd one out here. So, I would like to see what people think! I put in a poll so I can have a better understanding of what others think about it.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: I like the text-to-speech, What do you think?

Post by Jacquerel » #681997

I liked it when it was novel but I’m worried it’s quickly going to feel like a bit of a gimmick. Still a worthy project to try out though, and having some audio indicator that someone is talking to you is something I would still want even if it wasn’t TTS.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #682016

Jacquerel wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:39 am I liked it when it was novel but I’m worried it’s quickly going to feel like a bit of a gimmick. Still a worthy project to try out though, and having some audio indicator that someone is talking to you is something I would still want even if it wasn’t TTS.
I'd love something like 'Don't starve togheter's music chime when a player speaks, or something akin to the different noises produced by goon characters. It should be an option though, so like with tts how you can turn it off.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #682017

I think it is kind of neat, but I'm noticing some latency hiccups while it has been active. It could be that I'm particularly susceptible to server load (I am because of my distance from the server), or I might be drawing conclusions from anecdotal evidence. I'd like to see the data once the tests are over to be sure.

The quality of the TTS is good for the most part. Some slightly weird sounding enunciations here and there, but generally pretty okay. I think it helps in some cases, but in a few I think it might stifle emotional conviction because of the neutral tone of the voices. I think the lack of pitch for yelling or whispering can hamper things. It works great for my character, who I imagine to be speaking constantly in that neutral tone anyway, but if I wanted to be more excitable or just emote more, I think it can undermine that.

I think I've noticed some weirdness with whispers being too audible compared to the text as well, which I think ruins some of the potential to misconstrue a whisper for something else because of only getting a fragmented sentence. With TTS, I can just hear the full sentence. I'm sure there can be a solution for that.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #682022

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:56 am
Jacquerel wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:39 am I liked it when it was novel but I’m worried it’s quickly going to feel like a bit of a gimmick. Still a worthy project to try out though, and having some audio indicator that someone is talking to you is something I would still want even if it wasn’t TTS.
I'd love something like 'Don't starve togheter's music chime when a player speaks, or something akin to the different noises produced by goon characters. It should be an option though, so like with tts how you can turn it off.
I was considering making something of the sort when I assumed TTS wasn’t coming back, seems less necessary now although i might still make it for a downstream.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #682036

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:56 am I'd love something like 'Don't starve togheter's music chime when a player speaks
I WOULD LOVE THIS AS AN OPTION.
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #682436

Lot of people see tts from the point of view of it being enabled by default and being used by everyone and thus are disappointed with the current implementation, which makes sense it is lacking in terms of showing emotions and stuff, the first novelai implementation really spoiled us.
However, from an accesibility point of view it's really good and in-depth, so I love it.
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #682441

when i say hrm it spells it eych arr em. its over.
the tts needs a lotta work still, both in the actual voice stuff so it says words normally, and also needs a lotta tweaks like making nightmares not sound like anime girls and not playing through walls, only where you can see
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #682461

The voice selection UI could be a bit nicer, as is you have to scroll down the whole list each time to pick the next when you're sampling them.

It's not perfect, but it has potential as is quite fun.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #682519

It's nice in some ways and can give life to the words we type, and that's really nice, but there's some pretty big problems with it currently that need ironing out. While latency eating messages is a problem, I don't think it's as big a problem as the other two that I have with TTS. Those being:

1. After some time, the ai seems to bug out and starts every sentence with some complete gibberish phrase, then speaks whatever was written unless it was a short sentence.

2. You can still "hear" voices in other languages, whispered voices, and things that you generally shouldn't. Words and sounds that get replaced by language quirks also come out as "normal". For instance, the chef's "thanks" will still be voiced as "thanks" instead of "grazie" while they're wearing the fake moustache.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #682649

I miss the NovelAI api, too bad it's just not really viable
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #683048

I find TTS to be immersion breaking and the oblivion-tier voice acting to be distracting and annoying, and that's my entirely subjective opinion

What I really don't like is that there are several design issues with its implementation that seem to always be brushed aside:
Why can you hear it through walls?
Why is being able to hear through walls something that is based on a player preference (essentially making it a required choice)?
Why are people allowed to pick their voice when we never even allowed players to pick runechat colors because it broke disguises?

And most importantly why is the entire reasoning given for adding something with this much of an impact allowed to be, quote, "TTS is cool."?
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683052

Mickyan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:36 am I find TTS to be immersion breaking and the oblivion-tier voice acting to be distracting and annoying, and that's my entirely subjective opinion

What I really don't like is that there are several design issues with its implementation that seem to always be brushed aside:
Why can you hear it through walls?
Why is being able to hear through walls something that is based on a player preference (essentially making it a required choice)?
Why are people allowed to pick their voice when we never even allowed players to pick runechat colors because it broke disguises?

And most importantly why is the entire reasoning given for adding something with this much of an impact allowed to be, quote, "TTS is cool."?
It's in progress; we can get TTS to not go though walls, but having different colored chat is really hard to control.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Unsane
Byond Username: RiceRicebbb

Post by Unsane » #683113

do you think TG can implement VITS?
Shy Hime, a mime main and crazy ong fr :3 crazy CRAZY uwaa, gayest boy on Liyue
ImageImage
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #683117

Not a fan of the options as I wouldnt play less due to the TTS but I also think it's a step below overrated. The TTS sounds like it's echoing the whole time and doesn't fit well with other sounds. There's also an annoying delay between when the message is sent and when the TTS goes off, so that's a little immersion breaking. Hard to communicate tone over TTS as well, everyone just sounds like they're utterly emotionless. It's kinda funny for a round but until it gets to be more advanced I don't think it adds anything to my experience, and maybe even subtracts from it. A step above Cheridan's april fools meme meme meme meme voice sounds, I'll say that.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #683137

Whispering isn't actually silent and funny cult+wizard words need special voice acting done to not sound like trash. I want a deep-bellowing EI-NATH! from my wizard. Doesn't matter if it's just one for male and one for female, we don't need that much variety for the rare stuff, just quality.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #685350

i want more voices

we should have Sundowner and Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising: Revengance
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #687290

The voices also don't work well for lizards. The s sound isn't extended in a lizardlike way, it just sounds bizarre instead.
Bdudy
Byond Username: Bdudy

Post by Bdudy » #687302

One of the most incredible additions this game has ever seen
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #687372

I'm just going to scattershot my thoughts since none of them are particularly deep:

Sometimes it sounds really good, other times it's pretty bad. It struggles with things such as repeat letters, such as someone saying uhhhhhh, or phrases like "y'all"

It's kind of hard to determine if a voice is actually going to sound good in game or not. the "Hello this is my voice" is alright.

I found that it's really bad at giving off tone though. People either sound entirely deadpan, questioning, or they're screaming at the top of their lungs. Nothing can really be done about that though. I've noticed that most of the voices tend to corelate to what a lot of the voice actor's lines are. So, for instance, the Serana voice sounds super deadpan, while the Ellis voice sounds like he's almost always yelling.

It would be nice if the voice menu didn't snap back to the top of the list every time.

Sometimes the TTS is really quick to work. Othertimes, it takes upwards of five seconds to do anything. This sometimes seems to be related to the server's population and/or latency, and other times it seems completely unrelated. I've seen TTS take forever to do anything on a 20 person server with nothing happening and work flawlessly on a 65 person server with half the station in the process of venting into space.

It also doesn't handle people saying sentences really quickly. For instance if you were to say "Yeah I think we got that over here" and follow it with "oh wait, nevermind" then it will just layer both on top of eachother.

No idea if it's still an issue but last I saw you can still hear stuff through walls. I haven't seen any rounds be spoiled by it yet, but one round, I was a cultist and I could hear my cultist friends yelling cult stuff several rooms over. No idea if it got fixed.

Some people have managed to use their voice selection really well for either roleplay or for jokes. A lot of the lizards tend to go with gruffer-sounding voices, or they use the Argonian voice. Felinids use the anime voices most of the time. There was one shift where the HOS had a kid voice, which really brings me back to Gmod DarkRP.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Waltermeldron
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: WalterMeldron

Post by Waltermeldron » #688279

Problems you mentioned should be fixed by now. People sending sentences really quickly will now properly queue the messages up. You can't hear stuff through walls anymore, you'll only hear TTS messages from people who have actually spoken to you (aka you are able to see their chat message).
If you think TTS is taking too long and isn't sending any messages at all, that's probably because TTS is temporarily disabled (potentially because of serverside issues, like TTS being reconfigured, TTS server being down, etc).
You'll be able to tell if this is the case, because no TTS messages will be played at all throughout the entire round
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #688288

its hard sometimes to play people with social anxiety of lizardism
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #700328

I find the current iteration to be really, really good, and holding its novelty way past the first rounds I played with it enabled.
I think it's addictive and on its way to become the standard way to play the game. It just breathes so much life into the atmosphere.

A little QOL improvement I'd like to suggest is to make it so browsing and choosing/testing voices is less of a chore.

Right now you can't simply: "next voice>test>next voice>test...", which would be, imo, the most intuitive way for it to work. Instead, the focus resets when you pick a voice, and then you have to scroll all the way to the current selected voice in the dropdown, every single time.

Aside from that, as I said, I find everything great. The variety is great (and the fact more voices keep getting added), the references are great, the emotion the voices show is not perfect but its alright, and at a times very goofy, which I love. It's light years from what was shown a year ago and I'm so glad it's come to this. I personally always play with tts enabled and I'm not planning on disabling it.

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #700689

everything above, but i think some of the new voices are a bit too recognizable
its a bit jarring hearing the tf2 mercs exactly
and i think the selection menu currently sucks ass
respect (let him do his thing)
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #700879

i think the menu could use some work as well

also i am happy with the bebebese option added for those who wish it
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #701293

It's one of my favorite new features of the game in a while. It really helps to hear a voice and not always have to read a chatbox sometimes. It's also nice for characterization.

My only complaint is very minor in that we don't have a directory of who the voices were modeled from. That's about it.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #701888

I have no idea why people are saying it is good, in my experience it messes up every other sentence.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #702003

I still like it but it doesn't handle the stuttering from the social anxiety quirk all that well.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #706286

this may unironically be the best addition to the game in actual years
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #706388

improves my rounds anytime it's on
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #706434

My initial opinion of it was positive and has only grown more positive with time. The new mask filters are also really great as well, everyone working on the system has been doing a great job.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #706435

My initial opinion of it was positive and has only grown more positive with time. The new mask filters are also really great as well, everyone working on the system has been doing a great job.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #706444

the combine vocoders have caused grayshirt tiding incidents to increase by 27 percent because they want to steal the mask and talk funny
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #706534

It started off a bit negotive, but I cannot live without now.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #706577

I love it but I'm a bit eh on it sometimes because it can't handle stutters all that well, but I put it on the animal crossing esque text blips and it seems fine to me. The downsides of setting it to that is you don't get terry dorms 4 style AAAAAA,AAAAAAA,AAAAAAA! yelling.
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #707055

Never turned it on, same with runechat, nothing will keep my eyes from reading that white chatbox.