how will we battle ss14

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

how will we battle ss14

Post by sinfulbliss » #689386

Listen guys. You know it, I know it, they know it. SS14, sooner or later, is gonna eat us up.

It's every maint's wet dream. Unshackled from Byond. Pixel movement. Swing combat. It's all already implemented. It's just a matter of time.

What's your plan? Continue modernizing SS13 blindly, like the guy who releases modpack updates for MW2 for 10 people while Activision pumps out their 73rd iteration of BOPS 4? It's a losing battle. There's only one way to win.

That's the one thing we will have that they can never copy over, my green friends. Tile movement. Coder sprites. Unrealistic and janky mechanics. That is how we will survive. By embracing the very thing you are attempting to eradicate.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. It doesn't matter how sharp it is, you're losing that fight. Bring a toolbox and a banana peel.

Embrace the soul.
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: how will we battle ss14

Post by Jacquerel » #689387

Given that they haven't copied over our new sprites as quickly as they did older ones I think SS14 actually has more soulful codersprites than we do.
They manage to make them look worse with their rotating grids placing pixels at 45 degrees to each other though, ugh.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #689452

pixel movement is v soulless
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #689464

one coder coping, two coders coping
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #689483

we wont because there is no reason to
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #689493

Tbh, I'm not a great fan of pixel movement. I've tried ss14 in the playtest and I'm far more of a fan of tile movement because it's not a very popular mechanic in modern games and it gives ss13 that feeling of an "old indie game". Not to say pixel movement sucks, but it's just my personal opinion

Edit: My face when I realize sinful posted this in coding feedback instead of player's club: :o
Oh well, now I have to give real feedback; fuck you, sinful... I feel like ss13 has its own magic in the tile movement and there is nothing that must be actively done to pair it up with ss14 as each has its own core mechanic.
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #689510

I don't really understand the appeal of SS14 at the moment. Basically, everything is WIP to the point that no job is really 100% fleshed out, pixel movement is super eh and frequently leads to people getting stuck on doorframes, most departments don't feel finished, etc. Some of it may have changed since I last took a look in December.

The only things I like a lot more about SS14 are that you don't have to convert midis, the really good lighting effects, really good performance, restarts that aren't a diceroll of 15 seconds to two minutes, and that the nuke actually blows up the station without freezing the server. Most of the other stuff felt pointless and in the realm of "just because you could doesn't mean you should" (cargo shuttle having to be manually docked and undocked every time comes to mind)*

*if I had to dock the cargo shuttle manually every single time, I would 100% quit cargo tech. I'm often the only fuck in cargo actually doing their job.

I've been kinda eh every time I've tried SS14. I always get the feeling that it's fun to dick around in for a round or two, but that I wouldn't actually want to play it if I had the choice between SS13 and SS14.

The only real way I see SS14 becoming the majority is in a few scenarios:

1. Byond shuts down 100%.
2. SS14 eventually reaches a state where it's so good that even the diehards move over (this will never happen. Most realistically, an old guard would stay behind but steadily shrink)
3. There is a gradual shift towards SS14 becoming the majority, to the point that servers will have to move over or risk dying. (I do not see this happening, but who knows)

I don't think TG should rule out SS14 forever, but at this point, there's no reason to see SS14 as a threat or viable alternative at the moment. As it currently stands, SS14 is an interesting novelty, and part of that novelty is the fact that it hasn't fallen on its face and died like so many remakes before. Do I think it could be a viable future for SS13 as a whole? Perhaps. There's no reason that it could never be, but at the same time, I don't understand the people who are acting like SS14 is this Mongol horde about to descend upon SS13 and take all the players.
Last edited by RedBaronFlyer on Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #689520

motherfucking cooltext deleting their images after 8 hrs took all the god damn wind out the sails of the OP. fixed now. please refresh if it was broken for you and reread everything. it doesn't work without the burning text seriously
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #689521

Justice12354 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:56 am Oh well, now I have to give real feedback; fuck you, sinful... I feel like ss13 has its own magic in the tile movement and there is nothing that must be actively done to pair it up with ss14 as each has its own core mechanic.
That's precisely my point Justice... If you missed the 10hr cooltext image expiration window you would've missed it though so no fault to you.
The coders would depopulate an orphanage for pixel movement though make no mistake...
My worry is the incentives are moving away from the old indie aesthetic and trying to modernize but I dunno. Maybe orangeman and headcoders can share their vision it would be neat to know.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:13 am I don't think TG should rule out SS14 forever, but at this point, there's no reason to see SS14 as a threat or viable alternative at the moment.
I haven't touched SS14. Dude I'm not waiting 2 seconds to open a firelock and needing to press E to interact with objects on the screen (fuck off).

THAT SAID. By the time it's a threat it'll be too late... I'm talkin long term pal. 5-10 year longterm. When SS13 dies I'll be forced to play like, fuckin Smash Bros Ultimate 3 or some shit, and I can't have that happen.
Spoiler:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #689566

I don't see the point in battling them. Either we make something better, or they do, at least in the long long term.
It's not as if there's money involved for anyone but mso, don't really see why you'd be worried you can just play on the version that turns out better in the end. Either way it's gonna take them a while to develop to match our level of bullshit features, and we add those pretty consistently.

Not gonna change anything I'm working on, if anything it motivates establishing changes now, so even if this branch dies my work will continue on. That's the only thing I'm really all that concerned with.
Frankly I don't really care how many people play the game, only that some do, I have friends who I can work with, and people who will build on what I create. The rest is a happy but not totally important side effect.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #689616

ss14 has omega soap and the brown bartender glasses I made so I'm content with my legacy living on.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #689658

Add whatever I want to ss13 and then complain about its abscense in ss14 until its added there
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness