Give us something interesting to do with the xenos egg

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Give us something interesting to do with the xenos egg

Post by Vekter » #693122

(That isn't just breeding a bunch of them so they can go apeshit Left 4 Dead on everyone when they get out).

That's it, that's the thread. I hate this damn egg. I really do. It's fun, I'll never not laugh when the aliens manage to get out, but I hate it from a design standpoint because it doesn't do anything other than inform the crew that they can either break it or look forward to xenos in the next thirty minutes to an hour when the power goes out or the admins get bored.

I would like some way to experiment with or on them or some other interesting mechanical function for them.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Re: Give us something interesting to do with the xenos egg

Post by blackdav123 » #693123

you're supposed to make a queen then dump a plasma can in and kill it so you can use the organs but even then its still just gamer loot that you cant even really use unless you're coating the station in resin for funsies or an antag laying more eggs
Weston Echard on Sybil
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #693221

It would be neat if it didn't require a ghost under nominal situations. Like, it's a special egg that spawns braindead/simple intelligence xenos, and then you expose the mobs to a gas that causes them to replicate or whatever to promote harvesting and too much gas mutates them into gaining sentience.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #693236

It's tough for me to think of what this wuold be which doesn't essentialyl boil down to some kind of one-and-done experisci node and nobody even likes those.
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #693248

You could borrow an idea from chem and make it a temporary bonus.

For example; an extract you refine into a drink/injection that gives you the xeno tackle ability, but only twice. If you want to do it again, you have to extract more xeno material.

Ideally, the bonuses should be xeno-related. You could also include the ability to move while nearly invisible or grow a chitin spaceproof exoskeleton, but only for a short duration in both cases.

Tying back into my prior post, these could be obtainable by subjecting a xeno mob to a condition (such as, but not necessarily, a specific gas mix) which would provide xeno material over time. You could also increase the intensity of the condition to increase output at the risk of the xeno gaining sentience.
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #693251

Do you have any ideas for something interested to do with the egg
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #693253

omelette
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #693256

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:01 am omelette
MAKING THE MOTHER OF ALL OMLETTES HERE. RD! CAN'T FRET OVER EVERY EGG!

WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #693367

Make it spawn simplemob xenos and then re-add obtaining xeno organs from simplemobs via taking them to the DNA extractor in gene (minus getting egg organ if you're worried about funny xeno gaming)
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #693408

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:01 am omelette
do it (+ achievement)
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #693490

Yulice wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:56 pm Make it spawn simplemob xenos and then re-add obtaining xeno organs from simplemobs via taking them to the DNA extractor in gene (minus getting egg organ if you're worried about funny xeno gaming)
alternatively: do the above and keep the xeno egg organ, because a traitor scientist raising an army of loyal xenos is emergent gameplay and the egg only spawns 1% of the time or some shit.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #693491

I remember seeing sprites for this somewhere, but I'm pretty sure there used to be an idea where you could put regular sized xenos into this weird machine thing where they would then control robotic xenomorphs. I would assume the robotic xenomorphs would be AI-linked and forced to follow AI laws or something.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #693497

mrmelbert wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:53 am Do you have any ideas for something interested to do with the egg
Yeah. Combine them with Exosuits for Frank Horrigan level monstrosities aligned with the station.
Sounds like a joke, but human pilots, posibrains and intellicarded AIs control Exos differently, giving exos a custom xeno hybrid paint job, and a few exclusive abilities would be a cool way to use eggs.
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #693969

Helios wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 pm
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:53 am Do you have any ideas for something interested to do with the egg
Yeah. Combine them with Exosuits for Frank Horrigan level monstrosities aligned with the station.
Sounds like a joke, but human pilots, posibrains and intellicarded AIs control Exos differently, giving exos a custom xeno hybrid paint job, and a few exclusive abilities would be a cool way to use eggs.
Spoiler:
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #709596

Add significant rewards for scanning alive xenos. Nothing rackets the tension up like standing next to a xeno and trying to scan them as you hope you dont get fucked in an instant.

Maybe.