Miners get nerfed yet again

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Miners get nerfed yet again

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #693885

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/76629

This is pretty upsetting to see. Yet another nerf for miners. I loved making my talisman for a minor armor boost.

I don't get why Melbert couldn't have just made an exception for the two miner accessories instead of nerfing miner for the 50 millionth time. Both me and my friend who introduced me to ss13 who is a shaft miner main loved the armor talismans, and always made sure to rush it.

Do coders get withdrawals if they don't nerf miner for too long? Serious question. I'm still seething over the vendor nerfs willard did.

Edit: Actual feedback for the "Feedback" forum: I'm unhappy about this change, and I'm also unhappy about miners always getting nerfed, and I'm concerned constant minor nerfs to miners is stacking up over time to make the job shit.
Last edited by Imitates-The-Lizards on Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: Miners get nerfed yet again

Post by Jacquerel » #693917

The 2% effective reduction was a placebo which has never effectively aided you.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #693918

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:46 am The 2% effective reduction was a placebo which has never effectively aided you.
It helped to tank gibtonite explosions, and although I never personally verified this, I was told it would take an extra shot from a laser to crit you, should you end up back on station and shot with a laser.

But even if it was a placebo, it was a placebo I liked god damnit, it was cool and thematic and a good use for bones and sinews, and it was, objectively speaking, yet another nerf to shaft miner, which not a single player thought the job needed.

Was goofball somewhere in a back channel in discord crying that the bone talisman was OP or something? I bet that's exactly what happened.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #693919

I tell you what. If you really don't think 2% matters, buff PKA damage by 2%. Should be no problem for you to do that if 2% doesn't matter.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #693936

I can't buff the PKA by 2% because 2% isn't enough of an increase to go from 40 damage to 41.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #693941

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:31 pm I can't buff the PKA by 2% because 2% isn't enough of an increase to go from 40 damage to 41.
Make it do 40.8 damage. It'll be fine. Unless we're in a hard integer system?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #693945

Have you considered asking for, or contributing, a solution to the problem? If the accessories were needed for bomb protection, maybe goliath plates could improve the bomb armor of explorer suits. That's a pretty easy change you could do yourself. Solves that problem easy peezy.

That is a little more productive than what you're doing right now.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #693949

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:05 pm Have you considered asking for, or contributing, a solution to the problem? If the accessories were needed for bomb protection, maybe goliath plates could improve the bomb armor of explorer suits. That's a pretty easy change you could do yourself. Solves that problem easy peezy.

That is a little more productive than what you're doing right now.
The main problem isn't the explosive protection in this specific nerf. The main problem is coders repeatedly nerfing shaft miner.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #693962

reminder that megafauna is still broken a year later
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/63886
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #694110

its fine, if you want to offset it by giving it an upgrade to the suit or something then ok.

Conceptually, armor should be very visible because it is a big component in combat. If you have a lot of armor in your chest I should be able to see that on your sprite.

something just giving u free armor that is hardly visible is big stink imo.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #694113

Cobby wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:34 pm its fine, if you want to offset it by giving it an upgrade to the suit or something then ok.

Conceptually, armor should be very visible because it is a big component in combat. If you have a lot of armor in your chest I should be able to see that on your sprite.

thats why i wore the kilt, so people would know im a big dick slangin' monster killin' melonfarmer with +2% badassery
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #694119

Cobby wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:34 pm its fine, if you want to offset it by giving it an upgrade to the suit or something then ok.

Yea okay nice design principle brb readding dermal armor patch
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #694139

I greenlit someone buffing shaft miners in the discussion of the PR someone just has to do it now
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #694154

mrmelbert wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:48 am I greenlit someone buffing shaft miners in the discussion of the PR someone just has to do it now
good idea
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #697004

I don't think miners need free passive bomb protection, otherwise the threat of gibtonite is effectively gone and would effectively be equivalent to removing gibtonite exploding. If they have a slow heavy bomb suit then that might be okay.