Paradox clones should more likely roll for "higher impact" jobs

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Paradox clones should more likely roll for "higher impact" jobs

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #694770

What i mean by "Higher impact" Jobs are round critical ones like heads of staff, the captain, and security and maybe antagonists

I find it more enjoyable playing both as and against paradox clones who roll a high impact job. These jobs tend to have a larger impact over the round, and make playing as one, and against one more interesting and enjoyable.

Being the paradox clone of an antagonist is fun, having to try and hunt down your original who likely is armed with antag gear, while also avoiding crew members hunting you down.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Re: Paradox clones should more likely roll for "higher impact" jobs

Post by GPeckman » #694791

Paradox clones of antags should also be full-blown antags. Traitor clones get an uplink (same code/location as the original), paradox lings... actually paradox lings probably don't work well for a number of reasons. Paradox heretics can do heretic things, and so on.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #694804

GPeckman wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:58 pm Paradox clones of antags should also be full-blown antags. Traitor clones get an uplink (same code/location as the original), paradox lings... actually paradox lings probably don't work well for a number of reasons. Paradox heretics can do heretic things, and so on.
I think in most cases this would strongly incentivise them to never bother trying to find and kill their double, which would be sad.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #694823

clones should be full antags after they kill their double or alternatively get "grief" objectives like a doctor's evil clone getting an objective to "commit medical malpractice" or a captain's clone to "run the station into the ground" or something like that

paradox clones not being evil whatsoever is stupid and makes it so nobody but the original has any reason to get rid of them other than "valid". like, who cares if your boss got replaced by an identical clone if they're just going to keep the status quo? your boss mightve been a traitor but this clone certainly isnt.
Weston Echard on Sybil
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #694831

There's room for an "Evil Bender" deal where paradox clones of antags get crew-aligned objectives.

Outside of that, I guess give traitor paradox clones the uplink code but not a spare uplink so they have to track down and obtain their counterpart's PDA to get access. Their own PDA's uplink would be unresponsive because the server it's trying to contact is on another plane of existance
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #694886

blackdav123 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:56 pm clones should be full antags after they kill their double or alternatively get "grief" objectives like a doctor's evil clone getting an objective to "commit medical malpractice" or a captain's clone to "run the station into the ground" or something like that

paradox clones not being evil whatsoever is stupid and makes it so nobody but the original has any reason to get rid of them other than "valid". like, who cares if your boss got replaced by an identical clone if they're just going to keep the status quo? your boss mightve been a traitor but this clone certainly isnt.
fuckin wonderful idea.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #694904

I think the hidden design space of Paradox clones is super quirks/traits.
They come from a world where the rules are different, and they can roll all kinds of affinities. Alcohol leading to them breathing fire, coffee acting as a stimulant on the level of crystal meth, Engineers who are half shadowling, and enjoy shadow healing/light hurting at half the regular rate, with a power or two
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #695340

zxaber wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:21 pm There's room for an "Evil Bender" deal where paradox clones of antags get crew-aligned objectives.
I've had this happen organically a few times and it's been really fun. Sometimes the crew even helps you arm up to have a duel with your evil double. Once I even managed an e-sword duel on a flaming evac shuttle with the antag who I was supposed to replace. He had a red sword and I had a green one, it was perhaps the most cinematic round I have had this year.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #695689

Please not head of staff, we already have revs that means taking a head of staff job is significantly more likely to result in you playing "stand in the brig" simulator for your entire round (super exciting head of staff content) rather than getting to do job related content. Stacking more increased odds of "PVP pew pew" stuff on head of staffs is really just going to detract from playing heads of staff to manage a department rather than combat power game further.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #698036

iain0 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:12 am Please not head of staff, we already have revs that means taking a head of staff job is significantly more likely to result in you playing "stand in the brig" simulator for your entire round (super exciting head of staff content) rather than getting to do job related content. Stacking more increased odds of "PVP pew pew" stuff on head of staffs is really just going to detract from playing heads of staff to manage a department rather than combat power game further.
When I get a paradox clone of me as a head of staff it is an amazing thing. It has been fun every time (even if in the second time they decided to run into the SM. I wish they were around for longer TBH)
Even being stuck in the brig with a paradox clone is great because you will be talking to security constantly trying to convince them you are the original clone and not the fake one. Its fun to do that.

I want more paradox clones.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler