What makes meta special?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

What makes meta special?

Post by The Wrench » #702452

Oh, so what about meta-station makes it the most popular map besides for social inertia. Is there anything from Mehta that in particular makes it feel better to play?
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Re: What makes meta special?

Post by warbluke » #702503

Woah, Deja Vu:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30102

In all seriousness I have no idea. My best guess is that Meta has no big gimmicks compared to the other maps. Even Delta has size and complexity, but that's in comparison to Meta so it all circles back.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #702511

its an anagram of "meat"
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #702534

Also an anagram of 'team'.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #702537

Most Efficient Total Area
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #702552

social inertia, people used to say the same thing about box.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #702563

so your saying to get rid of meta we need to put it on a planet?

cuz i think a map that takes places on a hot planet would be cool to contrast nicebox
warbluke

Post by warbluke » #702595

I want a gas giant station like cloud city. Make it a plasma gas giant too so the whole map can light on fire if you dump oxy cans outside.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #702599

The thing is, people only said Box was best when it was compared to pre-Box maps, which largely Also Sucked.

When Meta was released, it IMMEDIATELY picked up a sizable following despite Box Inertia. I think some of what makes it work is...
  • Population: It doesn't struggle at low, medium, or high population values. It might feel a little empty on ultra-lowpop (10 or fewer players), but every station does unless we bring back MiniStation (btw bring back MiniStation)
  • The central ring is better than Box's. You have, in essence, a ring of lobbies - places of public interface between departments. Departments are connected or adjacent in logical ways, but the only really isolated areas are the remote engineering/atmos lobbies and the hidden janitorial closet.
  • Cool stuff in maint. Personally, I think this is a bit too much presently, but at the very least there's always space to clean out and set up whatever gimmick you might want to, plus the abandoned commissary if you want something more public-facing.
  • Maint can get you anywhere you want, but you'll almost always have to do dips into the main hallways where you risk being spotted
  • It's free of the jank of the still-in-refinement multi-Z
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #702627

It's imo default done right. The only other non-gimmick map is arguably Delta, which has weird maint sprawl everywhere.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #702640

My two favorite things are the cargo bay and the bar/kitchen being in the same room.

The cargo bay is just right. It’s not pointlessly massive, like deltas. It’s not cramped in places, like birdshot’s. It doesn’t have too many enterances, like icebox and tram. The delivery office is a good size, with plenty of packaging paper to last you all shift, plus the department mail chutes are super nice.

Pretty much the only thing I don’t like about metastation cargo is that all you have to do to get into the cargo bay itself is to unwrench the orm.

Plus, any map that has the bar and the kitchen in the same room is one I’m going to like a lot more. I hate when they are separate, the bar on icebox is almost never even slightly busy.

Some other thoughts:
* it plays pretty well at all pop levels
* the map is just the right size
* no z-levels
* lots of windows
* maints are large enough to set up in but not large enough that people spent ten minutes looking for a blob
* it doesn’t feel overly clean (like Northstar) but also isn’t a piece of shit (birdshot)*

*yes, I know birdshots “gimmick” is that it’s a shit map. That doesn’t change the fact that it is still a shit map.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #702641

Meta is honestly my least favorite map. It's a bloated half-corpse jam packed with every single feature and utterly devoid of identity. Its maints are lacking with few remaining effective places to hide for terrified crew or ne'er-do-wells as the entirety of the station is well-traveled by virtue of being so chock full of features that have been slotted into the map with little regard for layout or gameplay need. Due to the dense structure of the station, there's nowhere to expand for projects for good or evil unless you're willing to don a spacesuit and spend a significant amount of time, nor can you easily tunnel in or sneak into restricted areas without easily being discovered. Further, due to the dense design, explosives and large-scale sabotage is far more devastating and difficult to recover from. If you bomb one department, you're likely going to get another caught in the blast, or at the very least cause enough devastation that nobody is willing to repair the damage.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702647

Meta has been my favorite map due to the decent collection of rooms to build in maintenance along with being configured in such a way that engineers cant easily grief other departments
but the room i would always build in got repeated target nerfs and now atmos techs are allowed to irradiate it with their turbine (along with janies closet)

but meta is the lesser evil still, that delta station rework literally put the sm up against science so now engineers have a ticket to bomb sci and get away with it since you never get banned for not taking care of the sm

icebox eva storage makes you get through a fucking extra airlock to get to the materials!!?!?! while on other maps you only need to go through shutters

tramstation also has the same weird issue but also the fucking hand tele is in eva storage?

birdshit doesnt even have materials in eva storage

northstar would be fine if it wasnt for the fact that nothing is balanced around z levels, I cant play with launch pads on this map nearly as much but I can certainly stand at the top and bomb literally every department from one spot. Forcefields are also out of the question.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #702679

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:45 am When Meta was released, it IMMEDIATELY picked up a sizable following despite Box Inertia. I think some of what makes it work is...
i'm not sure if you are confused, but meta did not pick up a sizeable following, it was hated by the main stream and banished to badger, it took ages and a second server before meta was accepted as a running map.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #702696

Yeah but I was part of that following and a superior form of human being for it
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #702698

MetaStation certainly has the easiest engine room to do engine gimmicks with. Also its atmospherics area allows for easy piping that is straight and modular on a single layer. You can easily take full advantage of smart pipes with almost nothing in the way. It's certainly the most convenient and reliable map, and that's probably why people like it so much.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #702770

warbluke wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:21 am I want a gas giant station like cloud city. Make it a plasma gas giant too so the whole map can light on fire if you dump oxy cans outside.
me and a friend CoffeeDragon were actually working on a map like this where it took places above a gas giant. there were main platforms that housed departments (sometimes multiple) and were connected by tramlines. you could skip the tram if you went outside and walked across the catwalks. the atmos would actually be flammable so if a department had a breach it could catch fire really easily.

might pick it back up at some point, who knows. we actually got a fair bit of it done.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #702782

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:42 pm
warbluke wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:21 am I want a gas giant station like cloud city. Make it a plasma gas giant too so the whole map can light on fire if you dump oxy cans outside.
me and a friend CoffeeDragon were actually working on a map like this where it took places above a gas giant. there were main platforms that housed departments (sometimes multiple) and were connected by tramlines. you could skip the tram if you went outside and walked across the catwalks. the atmos would actually be flammable so if a department had a breach it could catch fire really easily.

might pick it back up at some point, who knows. we actually got a fair bit of it done.
I'd love more non-space maps. Part of the reason I like icebox is because it's really unique in its setting. (Granted I'd love it more if it wasn't a z-level map but oh well)

Meanwhile, on the rest of the maps you look out the window and see utter blackness.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
warbluke

Post by warbluke » #702789

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:25 pm
I'd love more non-space maps. Part of the reason I like icebox is because it's really unique in its setting. (Granted I'd love it more if it wasn't a z-level map but oh well)

Meanwhile, on the rest of the maps you look out the window and see utter blackness.
Personally I think that with lavaland/icemoon in the background space is too bright on the current maps. Give us real void darkness!
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702870

warbluke wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:26 pm

Personally I think that with lavaland/icemoon in the background space is too bright on the current maps. Give us real void darkness!
Space should get darker based on things like void heretic ascension or narsie cult getting eyes/halos.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #706288

honestly having more than one map is kind of overrated. having x maps makes the game x times harder to learn. some clever traps or shortcuts or what have you that only work on one map may not get to really shine because you might not even see that map after playing for a whole day. meta is popular because of inertia sure, but also because its just a map that people know and when you KNOW a map really well it's more fun to play on.

kind of a broad idea but if we went with the fortnite model of "stay on one map for a month or two straight at a time" we would get the benefits of having a map that can be easily learned and known but still get some level of variety for people that play a lot. people would bitch when their favorite map falls off but 🤷‍♂️ they'll have plenty of time to learn the new one

speaking from the angle of a boomer who knows basically only meta because the maps have changed so drastically since ive last played btw
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #707058

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:25 pm I'd love more non-space maps. Part of the reason I like icebox is because it's really unique in its setting. (Granted I'd love it more if it wasn't a z-level map but oh well)

Brother, do I have news for you!
Attachments
void2.png
void1.png
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #707158

Googles_Hands wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:45 pm
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:25 pm I'd love more non-space maps. Part of the reason I like icebox is because it's really unique in its setting. (Granted I'd love it more if it wasn't a z-level map but oh well)

Brother, do I have news for you!
This response sucks. I can't tell if you're joking or not.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #707216

Vekter wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:08 am This response sucks. I can't tell if you're joking or not.
I think it's a rather obvious joke, considering the post I'm replying to is joking about "utter blackness" via the robotchicken video and me making a joke about disabled parallax space just being black tiles.

But sure, get offended or whatever.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #707368

oranges wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:07 pm
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:45 am When Meta was released, it IMMEDIATELY picked up a sizable following despite Box Inertia. I think some of what makes it work is...
i'm not sure if you are confused, but meta did not pick up a sizeable following, it was hated by the main stream and banished to badger, it took ages and a second server before meta was accepted as a running map.
Didn't meta only really become mainstream loved once we got map rotations instead of the old map loading system?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #707381

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:47 pm
oranges wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:07 pm
Didn't meta only really become mainstream loved once we got map rotations instead of the old map loading system?
I remember it having a very strong community behind it on the second server before we had map rotation.

once we had map rotation the idea of multiple maps was more accepted.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #707783

The Wrench wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:33 am Oh, so what about meta-station makes it the most popular map besides for social inertia. Is there anything from Meta that in particular makes it feel better to play?
Many things. First of all, every department is solid. There's no one or two departments that have a massive amount of space, and another few that got skimped on -- each one is of average size, with all their standard things.

Second, maintenance is cohesive. They work outwards from the halls, and form an "outside" to every department or area, which is how you'd expect maintenance tunnels to work. It also makes it very easy to get around places without going through public hallways, and offers alternate places to walk around.
In many other stations maints are inconsistent and tedious to navigate, with multiple dead-ends or access restricted passages through departments. Not on Meta.

Third, the station loops. You can walk around it, and this allows the highest degree of inter-departmental crossover, and as a result: INTERACTIONS. You will run by the bar on your way to brig if you're coming from engineering. You'll see what's up in and around medbay if you're going to cargo from sci. You'll be walking by the HoPline and seeing people in line. The station maximizes interactions and inter-departmental crossover, and that's HUGE.

Delta has this same sort of general structure, as does Box, Icebox, Kilo, and others. If you look you can find that this structure is common to all of the most popular maps, because it's how the game evolved to be structured.
Spoiler:
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #707990

Metastation has less 'enforced hallway' than other maps, that is to say that the hallway intersections are flanked by public areas and the stretches of hallway without largely accessible areas are somewhat rare. It was probably the only medpop map that was consistent about this for a few years until delta had its overhaul. Meta also has probably the best dorms integration of our current maps. I haven't thought much about dorms but perhaps the placement of dorms next to security is a good match since it gives sec an insecure flank which just so happens to be on the opposite side of the detention area.
I've always felt that meta's weakest department is science, which for one reason or another feels much easier to infiltrate than other maps. Looking at the layout gives the impression of a fortress but its nothing like that during gameplay. I know science has had all reason to be secured tossed out now that they cant print PA guns and tesla revolvers using a few sheets of mats, but It is a bit odd for the cutting edge research facility to have an unguarded science department. I even remember feeling the old layout was less secure than box's old layout(the new layout is even less secure than Meta's).
I like Meta's chapel. Idk what these mapper types are thinking designing concert halls which are larger than a screen. You cant fill the chapel on ice box or delta, it always seems empty. Same with the libraries on delta and northstar, those are too decorated, if a small bomb goes off the place looks like complete ass if you fix it which is infuriating cause the library is the one place engineers will be able to fix without a shuttle call. ok bye
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #713355

We should force either a cycle or prevent a map from rolling again for 2 rounds or so. Get some more variety.

I kinda want to see Ceres as a concept revived with either a central tram or two trams for high pop. But I'm pretty sure people will say we have two many maps already
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #713360

meta is pretty groovy but to say it has no gimmicks speaks to how analogous it has become to "default." the default is predictable and familiar. and space gamers like familiarity.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #713403

i like meta and dont crave variety
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #727614

the layout of "basically a + sign with 2 or 3 departments on each corridor and one big one in the center" is really easy to follow and very intuitive to navigate, newer maps lack this and im not just saying that because im unfamiliar with them. sometimes its okay though, i think tram works too with a similar concept of "big thing in the middle with departments branching out of it in a consistent pattern" what with how the tram centers you and departments can be found by just looking at different tram stops. tl;dr make your maps easier to navigate and people will like them more
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: