Proposed Fire buff

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Proposed Fire buff

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #703506

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/78074

Saw this PR up and wondered what people think about its core premise (Namely, that fire is meaningless). Has anyone else found this to be the case? In my experience fire is already incredibly deadly, hard to get rid of, and also frustrating because once on fire you have maybe 10 seconds max to extinguish yourself before all your clothes burn off, dropping your gear and making you unable to carry items.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: Proposed Fire buff

Post by Jacquerel » #703508

I wouldn't necessarily be averse to fire being more harmful to people and less destructive to clothing on the basis that equipment destruction is way more annoying than taking damage.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #703529

I don't mind the changes, I just want pyroxadone to be buffed with the changes, and not several months later. Someone being made aware that their PR will impact a minor thing, and then willfully choosing to ignore that thing is kind of a pet peeve of mine.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #703531

GPeckman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:05 pm I don't mind the changes, I just want pyroxadone to be buffed with the changes, and not several months later. Someone being made aware that their PR will impact a minor thing, and then willfully choosing to ignore that thing is kind of a pet peeve of mine.
It's always a coin flip whether goofball will even perform any required changes to get the PR merged after opening it, let alone ones posted by non-maintainers
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #703533

I think fire as an off ramp for clothing is in a good spot.
Buffing fire to do some direct damage is not a bad idea either.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #703544

Jacquerel wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:10 am I wouldn't necessarily be averse to fire being more harmful to people and less destructive to clothing on the basis that equipment destruction is way more annoying than taking damage.
Agreed. When I catch on fire it always takes like, 20+ seconds and two rolls to extinguish myself, and even then, a solid 50% of the time, my clothes still fall off anyways. It's to the point now that I have to frantically stuff my PDA into my backpack because some asswipe will 100% steal it because rolling when on fire stuns you for way too fucking long.

I don't even get how being on fire works. I get covered in lighter fluid and set on fire and it extinguishes in a single roll but some guy also being on fire bumping into you sets you on fire for ages it feels like.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #703553

Fire damage sucks ass. Because yeah it burns your clothes off but the damage is based on your body temp, not the fact you have literal flames burning your skin. It's one of the reasons I always take temp adapt over pressure.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #703615

Damage while on fire needs to go up. Damage after the fire is out due to high temperature needs to go down. Burning clothes should last about twice as long.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #705035

I think one of the weaknesses of fire is how incredibly quick and easy it is to instantly remove it. I think fire extinguishers could be bulky. The powergamers won't be able to steal an extinguisher for personal use, and the normal people won't get punished by powergamers powergaming. Let dealing with fire be based on dealing with the environment rather than an equipment check.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #705062

Turbonerd wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:54 am I think one of the weaknesses of fire is how incredibly quick and easy it is to instantly remove it. I think fire extinguishers could be bulky. The powergamers won't be able to steal an extinguisher for personal use, and the normal people won't get punished by powergamers powergaming. Let dealing with fire be based on dealing with the environment rather than an equipment check.
I was a bit surprised when I learned that normal fire extinguishers weren't bulky. The issue with making them bulky is that it wouldn't stop anyone from lugging one around, all it'd do is make the demand for the cargo autolathe even higher since you can print out pocket extinguishers from there last I checked.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #705064

Turbonerd wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:54 am I think one of the weaknesses of fire is how incredibly quick and easy it is to instantly remove it. I think fire extinguishers could be bulky. The powergamers won't be able to steal an extinguisher for personal use, and the normal people won't get punished by powergamers powergaming. Let dealing with fire be based on dealing with the environment rather than an equipment check.
Making fire extinguishers impossible to carry in a backpack would also seriously screw over shaft miners, but I suspect that you would consider that a feature, not a bug.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #705092

GPeckman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:20 pm
Making fire extinguishers impossible to carry in a backpack would also seriously screw over shaft miners, but I suspect that you would consider that a feature, not a bug.
No, the joke is that you make pocket extinguishers only available through mining. Miners get them because they have to deal with stepping in lava somehow.
The big red closet extinguishers can be bulky, and engineers/atmos's advanced ones can be small enough to fit in a backpack. Then people won't fill their backpack with extinguishers to slip people that're chasing them.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #705952

GPeckman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:05 pm I don't mind the changes, I just want pyroxadone to be buffed with the changes, and not several months later. Someone being made aware that their PR will impact a minor thing, and then willfully choosing to ignore that thing is kind of a pet peeve of mine.
cryoxadone and dark blue slime extract :(
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #705953

or

actually make the removal of fire stacks an amount per spray instead of all of them.

like half + 3
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #706283

im all for dead spacemen but much like being in space not instagibbing you fire damage is a video game mechanic first and should probably stay that way
now if you want a mass station destroying thing thats easy to set loose and instakills people on touch and fucks the whole round up, i think what you really are asking for is the singulo
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: