Sects chosen in the last month, my thoughts about it, and maybe yours

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Sects chosen in the last month, my thoughts about it, and maybe yours

Post by Armhulen » #713399

Thoughts about top 3

#1, Mechanical God. It has a reward people want, which is good. What is less good is that I'm worried it's not fun or interesting.
>You can now sacrifice cells, with favor depending on their charge.
So you just make a ton of batteries, and turn people into androids. This is the biggest thing I'd change. If you make the process of getting favor tie into the reward and overall gameplay style then you have something that works. People really like robots and having a robot god etc, tech priest, so we just need to lean into enabling that roleplay with favor earning and favor spending. I'd almost say to make androidification a more drawn out process to draw out the fun people get in conversion (kinda like infuser!) but also add more unique little rewards and thematic bonuses (KINDA LIKE INFUSER WAIT THIS SECT IS JUST ROBOT INFUSION)

#2, Pyre God. Actually I don't really want to change this much at all. I just think people are having fun with it, it's decently powerful and genuinely useful, has great flavor... just a very successful sect. I hope I can lower its pick rate just a bit by introducing more sects and buffing other sects and maybe that's a good pull. But it's just simple, easily understood, fun and thematic.

#3, Festival God. People are having fun with this as well. I don't think it's THAT good, I mean maybe. AOE Antimagic isn't bad, Damage AOE seems difficult to not damage others but I also imagine REALLY fucking up a cult base by playing music where you can't be reached and just slowly killing everyone inside. Sleep one is kinda mildly nuts too as long as people other than you are aware you're going to be playing it. Overall I wouldn't change anything, it's enjoyed quite a lot.

Thoughts about bottom 3

#7, Maintenance God. Surprised this isn't lower because it actually really fucks you up. In fact, I'm positive this is underused because it really fucks you up. But I love the themes. I think I'm okay with the chaplain being as fucked up as they are but they need more ways to deal with it. Maybe another totem that lets their eyes work out in the light? Take the totem away and the eyes start burning again, but it can help chaplain create some safe areas? I also like the idea of letting them work as a rudimentary infuser (doesn't let you make higher level infusions, but you can maybe have access to strange rat slurry infusions? who knows, just finding a way to have fun with it. Overall, I don't think Maintenance God is really in such a bad spot, just inherently being a sect where you make your eyes burn out of your head when in the light is not going to be popular and that's not bad

#8, Greedy God. The god you pick when you want to trade stuff for credits and it lets you buy vend-a-tray (sell individual items) and a golden vending machine (sell lots of items woow) but no way to create value. Chaplain, who has to find a way to create value, is competing with pretty much the entire station making value for free. So maybe greedy god needs to produce something the station can't? And chaplain serves as a middleman for these paid services? I just don't know what it would be. Thematically, I think the sect works but could cosmetically could have cooler stuff and invocations to fit the greedy indulgences kind of idea. It's an evil sect! Doesn't feel like it.
for the love of god keep chaplain away from bounties, if the loop of this sect is running bounties you might as well be playing cargo

#9, Honorbound God. Not surprised to see this at the bottom but I am sad that it is, because I think it's really unique. I purposefully undertuned it because I was really scared of chaplains converting the entire station and going nuts. Now it's time to turn up the heat and give them some more abilities and the best abilities to give that would properly match with the sect is giving the head chaplain access to powerful things they can invoke on recruited chaplains. Give more incentive for people to sign up and take the honorbound rules, give the chaplain more to do in commanding the team, etc. Maybe they need some communication that can be sent via leader chaplain. Of course I'm open to thoughts on this one

Whew what a lot of words. What do YOU think about these? Really the big outliers are Pyre, Mechanical, Greedy, and Honorbound. The rest float more towards the middle and seem to be viable options when roleplaying as chaplain. Glad to see sparring sect is doing well, aha
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Re: Sects chosen in the last month, my thoughts about it, and maybe yours

Post by Armhulen » #713400

Found this post online that made me nod my head a bit
Where's the lie? It's useful they just so happened to talk about #1, #2, and #7

Napkin idea: OK, DNA infuser really does give the same rat feelings but without the horrendeous downsides. So maybe the sect should empower rat infused people, and this ties into totems somehow? Allows for rat dna infusion with slurry but ONLY rat infusions?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #713409

I suppose I'll give my thoughts from top the bottom under a spoiler, and think about how fix it
Spoiler:
Honorbound
While functionally really interesting, there a some oddities with regards to what is a 'honorable' action. Since this is tied so extensively into the click code and particularly the attack chain, honorbound chaplains can't do some interactions that aren't even related to combat, because those interactions are also tangled up in our attack chain. I'm not sure all of these odd behaviours are even being put up onto the issue tracker, but honorbound has been a source of problems like this one for some time. This puts an even greater burden on those hoping to use the sect; the inconsistency of how the trauma works.

We can't expect developers to be always conscious of this sect when creating new content, either. To me, this feels like a repetition of some of the issues that has plagued pacifist for some time.

Another oddity is that you usually can't defend yourself from simple mobs with any particular ease, despite most of them not having a mind to begin with. You can't declare mindless mobs evil, so there is no convenient method of getting around this. The mob is regarded as innocent. I'd think a good workaround here is that mindless mobs probably should be exempt from these rules if only for convenience.

On top of this, Honorbound wants you to subject other people to this in order to gain favour. And becoming honorbound doesn't actually impart any tangible reward at all to those who sign up. So there is no incentive for others to willingly subject themselves to these above restrictions and problems.

Overall, honorbound is janky in implementation, has a number of oversights that make actual play of the sect difficult (god forbid medical has become a cult), there are no reasonable methods to gain favour that don't force other people into the crusade, and for all these problems you get absolutely nothing in return. It desperately needs some advantage and functional workarounds for when the chaplain needs to be able to do to fit the thematics of both the chaplain AND this sect.

One suggestion I would have is granting powers to the chaplain that use favour to tangibly benefit those who are considered just and holy. If this chaplain isn't necessarily meant to be fighting, but supporting these entities, that's an entirely fine thing for them to be. Healing and protection (like temporary magic immunity and making anyone who attacks them during that guilty), targeting medical and security. You'll be exceptionally welcome in those departments. Particularly, I think their bible healing should be the way to facilitate that.

On top of that, some other means of gaining favour beyond conversion. Maybe the destruction of certain unholy items (magical stuff, notably), as well as healing the sick (aka treat wounds maybe). Sure, this could be farmed in some circumstances, but that isn't a terribly big deal, we're expecting chaplains to be doing their little rituals for favour.

I think some methods of increasing the guilty list where it would make thematic sense could also help, along with some better methods of recognizing guilt. My suggestions would be;
  • Allowing crusaders the ability to designate someone as their 'charge'. They're not a crusader (and they can't be one), but if they're attacked, the crusader will know, and the attacker will be placed onto the guilty list. This allows the honorbound chaplain to act as a cool bodyguard, and fits fantastically with the knight-errant theme. Maybe they gain favour for hanging around their charge.
  • Some kind of book of guilt that is only usable by, like, the lawyer. The lawyer can declare someone guilty. Would be a fun little interaction between these two service members.
  • A means for the chaplain to (temporarily?) see the guilty and the just. AKA some kind of hud vision. Would help a lot. On top of this, just having some way to check the list of the guilty would be nice.
Some way to make more crusader armor would be welcome, even if you have to sacrifice body armor/helmets to do it. Maybe make rusty claymores too, like the curator's. I just want to be able to dress up my crusaders!

Greedy God
Chaplains produce absolutely nothing of value besides holy water. And holy water is probably more readily mass produced by botany. Only chemistry meaningfully cares about holy water in normal rounds. And security, if you aren't producing holy water for them during a cult round, will either break you in half for being a cunt, or just overstep you by going to cargo to get holy water. Or just, you know, kill every cultist they capture instead, like they do already because that is more convenient than the dogshit deconversion mechanics of cult.

With absolutely nothing that they can make unique to just them that other people will reasonably want to access, most people are not going to look to the vendors they construct for any goods.

And for all this effort invested, the sect...produces nothing for the favour gained. It just does nothing. You would think, the richer this chaplain gets, the stronger they become in some fashion. But instead it is just kind of lackluster. On top of that, it actually takes away an option from the chaplain. He has to spend his own money to heal people with his bible, which is something that a normal chaplain can do whenenver they want. It's more reliable, but it is still extremely annoying that you don't gain, say, more powerful healing the richer you are. Or some other tangible benefit for going out and getting all this cash. You've hampered yourself by taking this sect for no good reason.

I just don't know how to resolve this one really, economy is a really fickle thing.

Maintenance God

This one is just kind of obnoxious due to how the light sensitivity works. I think this just needs some convenient way to mitigate the light sensitivity. My best suggestion is allowing gas masks to protect you. They presently block rear vision, so you're still hindered, but it'd at least be both thematically appropriate and push you to look the part. (Maybe your red eyes should glow through the mask, oooh) The other alternative is raising the minimum amount of light to cause you to suffer the negative effects, and maybe ignoring some hues of color, like shades of red (common in maint). You have trouble moving through some parts of maint due to suffering from the light blindness near radiant light sources, such as windows. Kind of pesky.

The sect itself doesn't actually have any real gameplay? You're limited in where you can be, but you don't actually do anything in the places you're meant to be. And I think the best solution here is maybe a radical suggestion. Give them some interaction or the powers of regal rats. Trash scrounging, rat friendship, that kind of thing. Maybe not summoning a horde of rats, but kinship with regal rats would be kind of cool. They have a lot of the thematic interactions that also fit this sect.

Additional potential solutions would be encouraging the chaplain to use maintenance items like pump-up, spears, the kinds of things you'd expect of tiders. You're some kind of deranged elder assistant, after all. Maybe turning favour into more advanced maint items would be welcome. Or just spawning random trash.

The means to gain favour is also a little haphazard. Organic slurry is spotty to produce at times, and I've had to fix it...twice I think? It would be nice to have some other method of producing favour. Maybe ants. Maybe trash. Maybe cheese. Maybe just moldy stuff. Encourage these guys to go into maint, horde up garbage, and haul it back to a totem.

I think the totems are cool, but I'd love if the totems actively did something more than just be altars. The should be, like, actively degrading the area around them. Think like cult pylons, rusting the walls and molding up the floor tiles. Causing mice to spawn around it. That kind of thing. The janitor should revile the maintenance chaplain for the filth he spreads.

Oh, and for the love of god, this chaplain NEEDS to be given maintenance access. Being stuck in chapel maint is such a letdown thematically, and I don't see why this chaplain should have to go ask the HoP for access when its his domain. Even if it's just a shitty cardboard ID that only opens maintenance doors.

Punished God
I actually think people do enjoy this sect, but in like, moderation. Psyker is extremely disorientating and more than a bit difficult to play. I get mild motion sickness while playing it. I can stand to play it while I'm bitrunning, but I wouldn't be able to go a whole round as a psyker. I know some people get it way worse than me. But if you take this sect, that should be your goal.

I don't think this needs any fixing, it's actually really neat. Just very dysfunctional because of psyker. Psyker itself probably needs some help.

Sparring God
This one gets picked quite often because it allows the chaplain to meaningfully interact with the crew in a unique way; staged fights with a functional framework for victory/loss. It's great, I really adore this sect. However, it has some quirks of its own. Though I'm not sure how current this list is at the moment.

It otherwise is very playable when it is working.

Festival God
I don't know why people pick this one because it isn't terribly interesting. My only suspicion is because it's mildly griefy. Sleep song is obnoxious, and I've seen people attack chaplains abusing this sect.

I'm a little unimpressed with having to constantly go back to the altar to start up a new song type. I'd honestly prefer to be able to prepare those songs in the field, particularly since we have the means of allowing spells to cost favour.

Overall, it is a largely passive sect that doesn't really bring much to the table in terms of crew interaction. It is kind of griefy, and a little bit unwieldly. It could use some help. I feel a festival chaplain might be better as a role that makes having one around do things more quickly or effectively, so as to justify him being in other peoples departments. Stuff like do_after speedups, a bit like kronkaine. Would really make for a more social chaplain.

I do really adore the thematics of the sect, though. I love the bard sect as a concept.

Pyre God
Literally just burn people to become fire immune. It's exceptionally uninteresting. You get no interactivity with fire, you don't get anything for becoming fire immune. This is honestly valued for specifically one reason, and that is being an ash heretic and needing a quick and convenient method to protect yourself from your own flames (as well as a cover for needing so many corpses). Your healing is also worsened as a consequence of taking this sect, so the fire immunity really is the big selling point here.

Quite lame, needs some actually interesting activities to do, or at least something to justify becoming fire immune.

Mechanical God
This was the first sect, and it shows just because of how basic it is. But I'd argue the rewards are in the right place.

I think this needs a better favour generation method, and I think this needs rites that extend beyond turning people into a powergame race. Being an android is thematically very appropriate for the sect, don't get me wrong. But it could do with some more content beyond this aspect.

Maybe, rather than androidification, it simply augments your limbs. Less powerful, but still a good reward due to to the convenience. You could even have it give you special unique sprites for your augments (or make the limbs advanced limbs, for funsies). On top of that, I think it should encourage augmentation, cybernetic enhancement and borging (radical as that last one might be), possibly even providing favour when someone undergoes these changes in a particular way/with a chaplain present. This is woven tightly with robotics in every way, but I don't find that to be a negative. But these guys should have something to give robotics in return for what they take.
And that's it, those are my thoughts. Sects are cool. Some are really lacking in love, though. I've always been very hesitant to contribute because I always felt like they are a touchy subject. I could feel the tightrope that sects were walking, and I didn't want to be the one to bring too much attention to them and end up getting them killed off. Which is the only rationalization I had for why so many of the sects were designed the way they were; if they were too involved, they would just get removed wholesale.
Last edited by NecromancerAnne on Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #713412

I agree with your general philosophy. IMO job design in ss13 is about matching what people like, picture in their head with the experience they get.
Old chap did that well/poorly depending on player mood, there were no mechanics really so what you got out depended on what other people gave you (and prayers).

I think sects are a good way to refine that, lets you pick a "vibe" and gives you tools to achieve it. I am anti balance posting tho. Think it's less useful to think of something as powerful/weak and more satisfying/depressing.
You pick machine sect because you want to worship the machine spirit and become robot. If what you have doesn't fit that "vibe" or other content undermines it, you won't want to play it.

Same goes for favor generation, it needs to fit the image in people's heads or they'll get uncomfortable about it, or just like go on autopilot until it's finished which kills player interaction/fun stories.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #713421

What's funny is I was just wondering the frequency of all the sects. Is it possible to see how it compares to not picking a sect at all?

Mechanical
Boring as fuck. You do everything in your power to completely cut yourself off from the rest of the station and as a reward you can become an android - Which actually completely bypasses all of the potential interaction with robotics to augment and upgrade organs and the like. You should be rewarded for reaching that stage, not have it handed to you as the reward for throwing away a hundred batteries. It's a failed sect, and it hurts me a little bit whenever I look in the chapel and see a way of printing batteries in the corner with the entire floor coated in cell chargers.

Pyre
Same sort of deal. Make bonfires, get monkeys. Doesn't interact with anything else, and doesn't really have a whole lot in terms of benefits? It's weird that it's this fetch quest that encourages you to avoid others to run around grabbing corpses to burn but you don't really get a whole lot for doing it. You can already get fireproof stuff outside of this sect, and I don't think I can remember the last time I saw people use normal candles, not even mentioning the endless ones you can get here. I dislike it so much that I don't think I've used it beyond looking at it a single time despite playing so many rounds as a chaplain with a fire deity.

Festival
The best sect we have. It has a theme, you are rewarded for upholding and involving others in that theme, and your reward is to better represent that theme. If it was designed like mechanical or pyre you would have to sacrifice guitars and as a reward you would have the ability to make those around you deaf. It's a little clunky is my only complaint.

Sparring
Not much to say about it. I've had trouble simply trying to drag people into involvement with it, but other than that it's fine.

Punished
Congrats, you are a psyker. The game is now unplayable. This will be the last time you pick this sect. You spent the round code diving to figure out which combination of negative effects gets you psyker without giving up much aside from abilities you would lose anyways, only to discover after having done it that echolocation is terrible and you now have a gun but can't even see anyone well enough to shoot them.

Maintenance
I have never touched this sect, and from what the description of it tells me I don't think I ever want to. It's a little bizarre that you can even have a maintenance sect when you need to ask the HoP for access to it anyways.

Greedy
Already been covered by others, you get the ability to sell things without being given anything to sell. Except you already have the ability to sell things.

Honorbound
It's been a while since I used this sect, is it really just giving up the ability to attack people for literally nothing in exchange? Even if it did give you a benefit, the system for determining a worthy opponent is terrible. The one and only time I used it I was informed that attacking a xenomorph would be dishonorable, and that I had to let each individual xenomorph get a free swing in before I do anything.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #713424

My issue with sects as a whole is they don't add onto chaplain gameplay, they replace it. I love chaplain because I get the freedom to decide what my religion and job are. Machine god? Sounds like it would be cool to work with robotics to augment people and give them cybernetic organs. Fire god? Sounds like it would be neat to set up bonfires for lighting throughout the halls. Maintenance god? It would be awesome to set up a hidden maintenance base and supply tiders from it. Those could all be neat chaplain goals, but instead sects tell them that they need to collect 900 batteries/burnt monkey bodies/rats dipped in welding fuel(?)

I have the most chaplain hours on the server, and almost all of that is without sects. I really don't see a reason to use them if they aren't going to contribute towards me actually playing the game. Sects shouldn't be a system you invest effort and time into, they should exist to encourage you to invest time and effort into dealing with the crew.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #713425

NecromancerAnne wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:50 amFestival God
I don't know why people pick this one because it isn't terribly interesting. My only suspicion is because it's mildly griefy. Sleep song is obnoxious, and I've seen people attack chaplains abusing this sect.
Oh, I can answer this one. I pick it as my main sect because I just love playing music on the synthesizer, and the festival sect gives me an opportunity to play music on the synthesizer, which I was already going to do anyway, but also incorporate that into the roleplay of the shift and I get some powers for doing so.

I also can be seen really getting into it by declaring things which damage hearing as heresy (like flashbangs, so I will protest outside security until they surrender their flashbangs), and declaring the clown as the holy chosen figure (Because he makes a lot of funny noise), while the mime is the evil one (Because he is silent). Honestly, festival sect is just a really great RP framework.

My main complaints about the festival sect are that holy songs get interrupted ALL THE TIME, it's really inconvenient to have to return to the chapel to prepare holy songs every time, and the sleep and damage powers feel really clunky and ineffective. I would prefer that the festival Chaplain could get a speed buff and a mood buff power instead, since they would be more intuitive and less griefy. The shield power is fine as it is.
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #713428

I never understood Greed or Maintenance sects, one does very little and the other has little follow through for it. Punished sect just feels like working a 30 hour a day shift at the ball crushing factory, and I'll leave it at that.

Maintenance sects should undoubtedly get some form of play with regal rats, even if they don't automatically spawn - maybe increasing chance of a migration, or having a tolerance for rat spit. I could see playing Greed as an antag - crab-17 is a thing - or setting up a vendor full of stolen acquired goods from across the station near arrivals. Feels like a bunch of work for a small payoff (hah, pun).

I love refrigerators the Festival sect, I can just vibe and hang out, pass along good moodlets to the crew. If I smoke a little and roll chaplain, this is what I go for. Mechanical is fun, sure, but once you go full robo I don't know where else to go other than roll for more parts.

Honorbound is a fun gimmick if you can get sec to join, good luck though. If I was robust, I'd stick with the Sparring sect but so far I've been excommunicated more than Henry IV.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #713444

NoxVS wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:22 am Mechanical
Boring as fuck. You do everything in your power to completely cut yourself off from the rest of the station and as a reward you can become an android - Which actually completely bypasses all of the potential interaction with robotics to augment and upgrade organs and the like. You should be rewarded for reaching that stage, not have it handed to you as the reward for throwing away a hundred batteries. It's a failed sect, and it hurts me a little bit whenever I look in the chapel and see a way of printing batteries in the corner with the entire floor coated in cell chargers.
This isn't really accurate. Even after being androidified, you can still get implants from robotics.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #713451

Just wanna say thanks for all this wonderful feedback. If you don't like sects this is how we get it to a place where you would
NoxVS wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:22 am What's funny is I was just wondering the frequency of all the sects. Is it possible to see how it compares to not picking a sect at all?
That would be NT-approved god, but what would make this data better is also showing no pick.
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #713458

The one that always seems to confuse me the most is the festival sect. Its so damn awkward to use because you don't really know if a song is viable for activation until you've already started playing. And 50% of its ritual songs are literally just griefing tools (Like seriously how many times have you seen a non antag use the nullrod song instead of running around putting everyone to sleep and getting lynched for it). I know the healing song idea got shot down but chaplains can already heal with their bibles and I really don't see why making a weaker snake staff aoe would be that bad Considering you have to run back to the altar EVERY TIME IT RUNS OUT
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #713473

While it'd be pretty fun to add unique things for greedy god to sell like temporary personal antimagic and whatnot, the current state of economy ever since the stock market was re-added means that economy is just unusable as any sort of balance lever. We have constant bike rounds, so if we added anything more that made economy have power, that'd be pretty bad for balance.

So yeah, currently, the best thing to do with greedy god is to keep it as useless as it is, or remove it.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #713482

First round of changes: Festival Sect

- Added the "Cogitandi Fidis", a holy violin that can analyze songs played. It will tell you about the song length calculation of what you're playing. (If any other useful information could be given about a song, let me know)
- Added a rite for turning your bible into a 5 use song tuner. This'll let you load more songs on the fly, but eventually you do have to go back to the altar proper because it can't add more charges to itself.
- Added a free tune, "Illuminating Solo" that simply emits a lot of light while you play it. The final effect makes listeners glow on their own for a bit. Nice little bit of utility.
- Added a tune, "Heckler's Mistake", that seemingly does nothing... unless the chaplain is heckled! Any close range attack or shove will end the song and deal damage to the attacker directly. That'll teach that one guy who keeps pissing around! Keep in mind ranged attacks will still get through, and if manually cancelled or reaching conclusion, nothing will happen.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #713485

Critawakets wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:29 pm While it'd be pretty fun to add unique things for greedy god to sell like temporary personal antimagic and whatnot, the current state of economy ever since the stock market was re-added means that economy is just unusable as any sort of balance lever. We have constant bike rounds, so if we added anything more that made economy have power, that'd be pretty bad for balance.

So yeah, currently, the best thing to do with greedy god is to keep it as useless as it is, or remove it.
It might be time to cut my losses with credits = favor concept and change it to something like religious coins or some kind of religious money resource? I will touch up this sect at the very least by giving them a shop you'd place down like a mining pod
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #713498

I want a Lord Singuloth sect where you get toy singularities in exchange for liquid dark matter and having emitters in the chapel. That's what I would pick.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #713525

Armhulen wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:01 pm First round of changes: Festival Sect

- Added the "Cogitandi Fidis", a holy violin that can analyze songs played. It will tell you about the song length calculation of what you're playing. (If any other useful information could be given about a song, let me know)
- Added a rite for turning your bible into a 5 use song tuner. This'll let you load more songs on the fly, but eventually you do have to go back to the altar proper because it can't add more charges to itself.
- Added a free tune, "Illuminating Solo" that simply emits a lot of light while you play it. The final effect makes listeners glow on their own for a bit. Nice little bit of utility.
- Added a tune, "Heckler's Mistake", that seemingly does nothing... unless the chaplain is heckled! Any close range attack or shove will end the song and deal damage to the attacker directly. That'll teach that one guy who keeps pissing around! Keep in mind ranged attacks will still get through, and if manually cancelled or reaching conclusion, nothing will happen.
Done in https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/80032 but didn't add Heckler's Mistake this time around. Also, bibles as religious tools and religious catalysts at the same time didn't work well, so I just made the instrument the catalyst. Works nicely!
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #713529

Those new additions to festival are actually really cool, I'm stoked to see some positive changes even if its just one sect.

In regards to the other ones, Honorbound, Greedy and Maints gods are all kind of lame. Its not exactly super clear WHEN someone is declared evil so you can sometimes end up getting yourself smited, greedy god does nothing interesting besides give you a shiner looking vending machine and maints god...I've legitimately never seen a maints god chaplain. The only time I've ever interacted with their stuff was when I got maintence eyes from a bioscrambler and it was the most awful shit imaginable.

Punished's whole gimmick is cool and honestly all that really needs to be done is make psykers actually playable instead of leaving them in the awful state they are right now.

Sparring, Pyre and Mechanical are all decent. Though I find that pyre doesn't really do a whole lot beyond just give clothing fire immunity (Those candles aren't really worth the investment imo), and mechanical is just...powergamers choice. Even after the nerf to their inherent armor, being fully augmented for such a laughable cost is why I wouldn't weep at its removal.

Why the fuck is nanotrasen approved god not the lowest picked one though? It literally does nothing. Why is it even an option?
Xkallubar
Byond Username: CrazyPro

Post by Xkallubar » #713536

As Certified Sect Expert™ I have quite a bit of feedback.

Punished Sect: The only issue is psyker echolocation basically throwing your round in the dumpster. Remove it or make it not a periodic pulse of vision but rather just a purple filter over everything.

Pyre Sect: kind of lame, fire proofing clothing is pretty decent but xenobio can do the same exact thing, needs more unique rites. (Mini fireball spellbook for 2000 favor please thanks)

Honorbound Sect: Remove the innocence of all non sentient creatures. Another issue is there can literally be a cult with halos running around murdering people but CLEARLY they are innocent because they haven't attacked you. Make evil things freely attackable. Add rites to summon holy armor and weapons for your crusaders, and give them more holy spells.

Maintenance Sect: there are never enough mice to get the favor for your adapted eyes and totem, the only times I've ever done everything in this sect is by praying for a ton of dead mice, and if gods are silent and there's no light, tough luck. Add more ways to get favor, and add a way to counteract light sensitivity. A rite to turn you into a shadowperson would be neat.

Greed Sect: it basically gives you nothing, and I can only put soda in the vend, and I can't set prices on the soda. Either delete this sect entirely or completely rework it. Turn it into devil antag where you sell powers for souls to get favor, boom, totally won't be abused to death and then removed by fun hating coders.

Mechanical Sect: The reward of becoming and overpowered android is nice, keep it. There needs to be a different way of getting favor though, and more rites. Instead of turning yourself completely into a robot, it could involve biotechnology, unique implants and limbs, turn yourself into a Borg from star trek.

Festival Sect: With the changes in your pr, it's perfect for now atleast.

Sparring Sect: Perfectly fine, hard to find willing duelists though. Add ceremonial armor for duels similar to the swords so it's more fair. Armored chaplain vs assistant with no armor isn't very fair.

Some themes for future sects I'd like to see are:
A death themed sect
A plant themed sect
An ice themed sect
A demonic themed sect (devil antag but as a sect would be funny)
A monkey themed sect
Yalp Elor sect
Eldritch summoning sect:

We really need a sect that's like a harmless version of cult because shady cult doing silly rituals aided by actual mechanics = fun.

I also would like to see a sect incorporating ghost role minions, because the general gimmick of having a holy gremlin servant is !!FUN!! because crew members are boring and LAME.
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #713537

I hope the Cogitandi Fidis is golden, I headcanon it as the fiddle Johnny won in The Devil Went Down To Georgia.

+1 for removing honorbound restrictions on mobs/halo'd cultists.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #713539

Armhulen wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:01 pm First round of changes: Festival Sect

Good changes. Great work Arm.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #713548

Fikou has made https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/80043 which I am accepting as a nice glow up for Punished God
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #713558

I have made https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/80048 and while Honorbound is by no means fixed this is one step in the right direction.
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #713618

Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:02 pm I have made https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/80048 and while Honorbound is by no means fixed this is one step in the right direction.
Epic
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #713694

they're all stupid
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #713742

oranges wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:21 pm they're all stupid
Shut. Sects are amazingness. Don't doubt it.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #713823

greedy sect: when i think of "god of greed" i immediately think of gozag from dungeon crawl which gives me a few interesting ideas

-in addition to custom shops, what if chaplains could attract "merchants" in the form of single-tile custom vendors that drop pod into the station, that sell rarer/more powerful items at slightly higher/lower costs? for example a shop that sells harder to get cooking ingredients or rare/strange seeds for service, a shop that sells upgraded sutures/meshes/synthflesh patches/other higher tier medical supplies at better prices than cargo, a shop that sells basic security equipment for public use, etc. you could have the shops replenish their stock over time to give them an interesting niche compared to just crafting/cargobuying the items, have the prices fluctuate based on stock, and have shops in the chapel pay a tax to the chaplain for every sale sold so the chaplain is incentive to encourage people to buy there so the chappy gets money. maybe even make "have sales" give faith so the chaplain has to fund their first shop opening but can slowly build up a capitalism marketplace
-sacrificing non human corpses on the altar for money could be fun, but you could also give the chaplain the power to moneysmite nonhuman mobs, basically spending faith to call down a lightningbolt that does damage and makes the target explode into money if it kills them
-gozag in crawl lets you spend money for potion effects which could translate into special shops that let crewmembers just outright buy traits/components/powers/etc. might be stepping on genetics' toes but you could add a few unique ones, maybe like the dna vault, and let the chaplain upgrade it with faith/money
-silly idea: let chaplains with high enough faith summon money mercenaries, either in the form of the old capitalism golems reworked or as a team fortress 2 style android that literally runs on money. give them laws to "encourage the transfer of wealth", "protect the free market" and "ensure the safety of the faithful" or something, basically a ghostrole in charge of protecting the chapel and trying to get people to spend money there

overall i think it'd be neat if greedy god was less about hoarding/obtaining money and more about getting other people to spend money for unique things (with a healthy tax going to the church, of course)

maintenance sect: i like some of the ideas posted in this thread about leaning more into the filth/tider angle, right now it feels like you get really debilitating downsides without much upside

-making totems/altars radiate trash and filth and rust is a great idea, it might be kind of griefy but id love it if maint chaplains had a way to create miasma and a disease immunity, maybe also give them the power to cure/absorb other peoples' diseases and lean into a literal plague doctor sort of angle. some kind of ghetto virology that lets them make unique diseases that are easily cured and give upsides+downsides that are appealing to tiders, like stun resistance in exchange for sensitive eyes?
-one fun idea could be to give them a "tider upgrade" rite that lets them create upgraded versions of a lot of common tider items by putting them on the totem/altar. gas masks with more protection/no fov downside, crafted spears with bonus damage to lockers, fire extinguishers that drop oily liquid that slips for longer, grey jumpsuits with small armor values. basically look at the most common/iconic tider items and think of fun upgrades for them
-could also do some stuff in the vein of diablo witch doctor where maint chaplains can spend faith on one-use ritual totems to summon weak aggressive mice or slippery toads that won't attack assistants/clowns/mimes but also aggro on security, or maybe heretic-style brews in a big shitty maint cauldron or something

mechanical god: im guilty of taking this basically every chaplain round i play just because being an android is super good but collecting cells sucks tbh
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler: