Why DO firelocks turn off the lights?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Why DO firelocks turn off the lights?

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #715320

This has been bugging me for a while but why do firelocks turn the lights off the moment they trigger? It makes them significantly more annoying than the actual fire alarm sounds, and makes every emergency situation more confusing and dangerous (and every non emergency situation where the lights are going off for no reason because firelocks are broken).

It doesnt even prevent fires, lights blowing up still start plasmafires when the fire alarm has "turned them off".
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Why DO firelocks turn off the lights?

Post by zxaber » #715544

Technically, the lights are not off, they're in emergency mode. This is why they can still break, spark, and start fires. There's certainly an argument that red emergency lighting should be "low power" and thus not spark, which would give a great functional reason for it.

Anyway, the answer to your question is thematics. Atmospherics alarms throwing hallways into an eerie red hue is a common sci-fi trope, and gives a sense of danger. Unfortunately, due to a bunch of different factors, the least scuffed way to handle it is on the area level, which bathes entire rooms in red, rather than just the lights immediately around the issue causing the alarms.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #715546

Fire alarm lights are a multilpier of how lights look normally
They were tuned to provide an atmospheric red tint to departments during an emergency, it is intentionally a bit darker but shouldn't be impossible to see in
Later, we went through and reduced the number and range of lights in general to reduce the effect of everything being fully lit even after destroying multiple lights
This change was not made with firelock lights in mind, so it made emergency lighting much darker as the effect was tuned to when we had 6 overlapping light regions per square inch of corridor

Anyone is free to tune the red lighting back up to be more visible, however nobody has
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #716014

My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?