Survivor Antag

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Survivor Antag

Post by ThatSlyFox » #86074

Remember when summon guns used to make some crew members antags? ThatSlyFox does. Add that shit back in. :honkman:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Survivor Antag

Post by Stickymayhem » #86077

It's been changed to give an extra spell slot.

Honestly I think even one or two antags is enough though you're right. The crew needs someone to shoot other than the wizard or they get antsy holding all that gear.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #86084

The free point system (https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6387) was added as a direct response to threats and actual server side code reversions on SoS's part when he got salty that people were taking summon spells too much (and they were). That said I still see some wizards who take the summon spells never even use the spare points, so obviously some people will always cast those spells just FOR LAUGHS.

If the current administration doesn't mind the concept of survivors I could change the mechanic back pretty painlessly at whatever survivor creation chance you want, but it'd probably have to wait until after the freeze no matter what.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #86085

Incoming wrote:The free point system was added as a direct response to threats and actual server side code reversions on SoS's part when he got salty that people were taking summon spells too much (and they were). That said I still see some wizards who take the summon spells never even use the spare points, so obviously some people will always cast those spells just FOR LAUGHS.

If the current administration doesn't mind the concept of survivors I could change the mechanic back pretty painlessly at whatever survivor creation chance you want, but it'd probably have to wait until after the freeze no matter what.
As the creator of summon guns I declare that it not giving antag status is a bug that needs to be fixed immediately.
Stickymayhem wrote:It's been changed to give an extra spell slot.

Honestly I think even one or two antags is enough though you're right. The crew needs someone to shoot other than the wizard or they get antsy holding all that gear.
Pretty much. Just a bunch of people standing around with wands for half an hour until the shuttle is called, wizard often doesn't even show up for fear of being shot.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86086

Because it was fucking dumb that you're told to "Not die" so your first instinct is to blast your coworker's face off, then anybody else in the hallway next to you.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #86088

Could give them the highlander style antag message instead.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86089

That'd at least make sense. "You feel a bloodthirsty rage" or some shit.

Not "Boy i'd better not get killed, lets make my status of not wanting to die known by being excessively hostile to the point everybody wants to gun me down"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #86096

Saegrimr wrote:Because it was fucking dumb that you're told to "Not die" so your first instinct is to blast your coworker's face off, then anybody else in the hallway next to you.
Why does every "survivors shouldn't murder" person ignore the text above your objective, that encourages you to murder your co-worker and steal the yellow gloves?

>Why didn't you just give them highlander objectives

So survivors would have a choice in how they react to their newfound license to grief (instead of "orders" to shoot everyone), and because at the time I added the spell it was generally understood (and expected) that antags would go nuts no matter their objective.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86098

Looks like times are changing, gramps.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #86099

Saegrimr wrote:Looks like times are changing, gramps.
The text that said "murder your co-worker" never changed, I don't know how much more blatant you need that.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #86128

Kor wrote:
Incoming wrote:The free point system was added as a direct response to threats and actual server side code reversions on SoS's part when he got salty that people were taking summon spells too much (and they were). That said I still see some wizards who take the summon spells never even use the spare points, so obviously some people will always cast those spells just FOR LAUGHS.

As the creator of summon guns I declare that it not giving antag status is a bug that needs to be fixed immediately.
It was literally demanded to be removed by sos. He didn't like how frequent people were taking it or how it turned the round into a random deathmatch mode that admins can't do anything about. Considering he literally deactivated wizard mode for as long as summon x had survivors, the current state was the only way to keep the spell and wizards on the server.

Of course none of that applies now, I just think it's important to get the context.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #86132

Well, since we aren't bound by SoS's whims anymore, can we get it back? Because that shit was always the most fun. I remember doing summon guns, disable technology, MM, and fireball and having a ton of fun as a blaster wizard, but it all went to hell when someone had a gyrojet pistol that wasn't disabled like everything else was, so my face got exploded. But it sure was amusing.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #86172

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure SoS made this a target in a "I ded pls nerf" situation. It never needed to be gone. The entire balance of the spell depends on it being there.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #86175

Well, in the defense of SoS, summon spells are taken waayyy to often. Back in the day, I liked it better when it was super OP wizard vs station. Nowadays, and almost every single wizard I've ever seen since as been nothing but summon shit for days.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #86178

NikNakFlak wrote:Well, in the defense of SoS, summon spells are taken waayyy to often. Back in the day, I liked it better when it was super OP wizard vs station. Nowadays, and almost every single wizard I've ever seen since as been nothing but summon shit for days.
Because summoning shit is fun for most of the crew.
Whereas a single wizard going around and instant gibbing people really isn't fun for the people who get caught out and left as brains in maint etc.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #86179

But then you're turning every round that gets summond guns/magic into to what isn't all that different from "Highlander mode", if your saying EVERYONE gets antag with the objective "Survive" (If im reading the post correctly).
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #86183

It's only good if it's not being spammed basically every wizard round. With summon events, magic, and guns all there it goes over the top from what could have been fun to just retarded.

If they were limited and controlled in some manner, it would be more acceptable.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #86186

Ikarrus wrote:It's only good if it's not being spammed basically every wizard round. With summon events, magic, and guns all there it goes over the top from what could have been fun to just retarded.

If they were limited and controlled in some manner, it would be more acceptable.
But Traitors aren't limited by what equipment they buy, despite the fact they all usually go for some form of emag/revolver/e-sword/ebow.
Why confine wizards to standards we don't hold other antags to?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #86190

Why confine wizards to standards we don't hold other antags to?
But we do? Do I have to remind you about how unfun double agents was? How it was just deathmatch from the get-go and was just everyone was bombing everyone? Do you remember that's why we removed bombs from their uplinks and reduced the number of DAs every round?

I think you guys forget that we had similar issues with every wizard round summon spamming. Not to say that removing it entirely was the right thing to do either, but there is a middle ground.

I am simply calling for moderation. Don't swing back to the other extreme and continue ruining this.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #86198

It was removed, as I recall, because of a direct mandate from SoS. However, before we jump to conclusions and finger-pointing and circlejerking "fug de old hozt :DD" let's bear in mind that this was after 2 back to back wizard rounds (both of which I played in) wherein the Head of Security got Survivor and abused his status to murderbone more people than I have ever seen. Literally more than half of the crew. It was awful.

I think I was only so bothered at the time because the objective is like "Stay alive at any cost." If it was changed to be something like "YOU FEEL AN INTENSE BLOODLUST AND RAGE AT YOUR COWORKERS" I would be absolutely alright with people becoming murder machines, because that doesn't feel like pushing the boundries of objectives and/or antagonist status.

This would make summon magic/guns a pretty big meta choice as well. Not that it would be bad, but I think it got pretty tiresome back then. "Oh guns just appeared and my coworker killed me and hid the body" was/is not fun.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #86201

Ikarrus wrote:nd you about how unfun double agents was? How it was just deathmatch from the get-go and was just everyone was bombing everyone? Do you remember that's why we removed bombs from their uplinks and reduced the number of DAs every round?
I think the difference between wizard and traitor/da is that even "normal" wizard is a deathmatch/manhunt. Traitor has room for different stories to play out and jobs to do their thing, wizard is just 15 minutes of running after the teleporting guy gibbing people.
Scones wrote: If it was changed to be something like "YOU FEEL AN INTENSE BLOODLUST AND RAGE AT YOUR COWORKERS"
It said that as well though. "Now would be the perfect time to steal those insulated gloves you've been eyeing or get revenge on your coworkers" or something along those lines
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #86315

Scones wrote:" If it was changed to be something like "YOU FEEL AN INTENSE BLOODLUST AND RAGE AT YOUR COWORKERS"
Fluff wise we could just say you're fed up with your job and you just want to go postal.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #86335

Reimoo wrote:
Scones wrote:" If it was changed to be something like "YOU FEEL AN INTENSE BLOODLUST AND RAGE AT YOUR COWORKERS"
Fluff wise we could just say you're fed up with your job and you just want to go postal.
Your sick of your two-faced coworkers, you hate your job, your boss is an ass. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #86472

callanrockslol wrote:
Reimoo wrote:
Your sick of your two-faced coworkers, you hate your job, your boss is an ass. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.
This works, and nice reference.

I think its important that the survivor message doesn't directly encourage murderboning.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #87532

Bring it back, it was removed in the first place due to a tantrum from SoS. That isn't a valid reason to remove something in the first place.

> People doing something too much because it's fun and involves the entire station.
> Stop doing fun things!
> Now wizard rounds are literal borefests / extended V2 most of the time.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #87557

It should just say 'TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!!!!?!!?!one!?!?!?!?!?!!!11?'

And let the people choose.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #88097

Ikarrus wrote:It's only good if it's not being spammed basically every wizard round. With summon events, magic, and guns all there it goes over the top from what could have been fun to just retarded.

The problem is that the playerbase has an intense aversion to anything that causes death, and it's gotten to the point where a wizard who actually tries to be destructive is frowned upon. That's why there are so many summons. It is seen as "giving back" to the crew.
Last edited by bandit on Thu May 14, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #88107

I don't believe I saw this anywhere in the thread, but what if "Rage" became a seperate spell entirely?
"Inflicts a murderous wrath upon certain crew members"
So that way a small handful could be selected (randomly) to become "survivors" and if a Wizard wants to summon weapons it'd take up two slots to give it the full effect.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.