New Lizard Sprites

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

New Lizard Sprites

Post by Miauw » #96522

I really don't like the lizard sprites at all.
The old lizards had some consistent look to them, but in the name of "customization" lizards now look like a more or less random mish-mash of appropriately colored pixels. They look very out of place.
I feel like WJ has overestimated the amount of detail you can have within our sprites.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Re: New Lizard Sprites

Post by invisty » #96524

I feel like WJ has overestimated the amount of detail you can have within our sprites.
I have to agree.

Unfortunately different body shapes are very hard to do, given our selection of clothing.
Mime: Depresso
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #96528

My special snowflake detector broke after the patch hit
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #96549

Not to mention that it brought a wave of lizard hate like I've never seen before
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #96551

They need a bit to getting used to, but I don't think they distract too much. Gives lizards a bit of unique identity that humans have with hair/beards. My only complaint is, that Podpeople now look even more like Lizards.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #96556

most "bad" lizard sprites I've seen come from people who insisted on having something in every field. You don't have to have frills/horns/spines/body/markings, you can pick and choose to make something that still has a distinctive look without being too busy.

So yeah I'd say this is more just a player taste issue than a sprite issue right now
Grazyn wrote:Not to mention that it brought a wave of lizard hate like I've never seen before
This doesn't seem like a complaint :honkman:
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #96561

if you want to have some more customization you could just have like a selection of horns, that would be fine, but this is just too much ;-;
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #96571

Rather see all alien species removed, liked it more when the crew was still fully human.
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #96576

Remove spawn-lizards, make lizards a way for cargo to bring players back into the round. Have them able to order a "qualified and paid worker"-lizard for 200pts or so.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #96577

Yes, you can make hideous lizards (does such a thing even exist?) with the new sprite system.
But you could make hideous humans too, remember.

Aside from the "W-why can't I look pretty too" from inferior human players, it's really not that big a deal. If you see a really, really ugly-looking lizard, tell them (IC, you heathen) that they're a really, really ugly-looking lizard. See what happens, and see who wins.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #96583

If we survived wild and tattered pink hair on a jet black woman, I think we can survive this
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #96584

Remember when SS13 was a game where you could disguise as people by swapping a jumpsuit and putting on a gas mask before it became a dressup simulator?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #96613

Kor wrote:Remember when SS13 was a game where you could disguise as people by swapping a jumpsuit and putting on a gas mask before it became a dressup simulator?
Because a mute walking around in a gasmask totally didn't draw attention anyway
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #96615

Incoming wrote:most "bad" lizard sprites I've seen come from people who insisted on having something in every field. You don't have to have frills/horns/spines/body/markings, you can pick and choose to make something that still has a distinctive look without being too busy.

So yeah I'd say this is more just a player taste issue than a sprite issue right now
I have to agree with him. However, some of the stuff you can choose looks downright ugly. For example, the frills all look stupid to me, and the aquatic spines.. ugh. Also dark tiger body markings (not sure about light tiger markings) look terrible.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #96620

Remember when Lizards was janitor "only", and not 50% of the station?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #96622

Lumbermancer wrote:Remember when Lizards was janitor "only", and not 50% of the station?
Good times.

If you'll excuse me, I feel like tightening the corporate anti-lizard grip to include security.
Oh, and the chef. Gotta maintain food hygeine for the valuable crew!
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #96630

It's nice to see a proper human chef with a lizard cook in the backroom making dough and other simple ingredients
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #96646

Can't make dough in the backroom anymore, thanks to tablecrafting
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #96661

Doris when was the last time you even played chef hello? Dough/Cake batter are made by mixing shit in a beaker.

On topic: I've started to see lizard sprites that look a lot more sensible - I think people just need some time for the appeal of making their sprite as big as possible to wear off.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #96674

I don't play a lizard but I like seeing the custom sprites it is quite lovely.

Yeah there are limits but it is fine to push them.