Microbombs and Macrobombs

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Microbombs and Macrobombs

Post by iamgoofball » #98371

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10117

Changes up how Explosive Implants work.
They have become Microbomb Implants. They cost 1 TC each. Each implant you inject increases the size of the explosion. You gib when you activate them.
A Macrobomb implant was added for 20 TC, for those folks who want to buy 20 microbombs and inject them all. It is the equivalent of injecting 20 microbombs, aka 5, 10, 20, the maxcap.

Nuke ops start with microbomb implants again.

Supplementary Video:
[youtube]s4VlruVG81w[/youtube]
Last edited by iamgoofball on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Microbombs and Macrobombs

Post by CPTANT » #98379

I am not really sure if I like getting instagibbed by an undetectable suicide bomber who just goes all explosive implants for them lulz.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98380

CPTANT wrote:I am not really sure if I like getting instagibbed by an undetectable suicide bomber who just goes all explosive implants for them lulz.
Aren't you guys asking for more lethal PVP danger though? This is pretty lethal and dangerous.

We even had a poll for it and everything.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #98383

If they spend 20tc on a suicide bomb instead of say, a gun and a bunch of ammo, more power to 'em.

Neat idea, but I still firmly believe that ops NEED default access to gib tier explosive implants to stop the rediculous loot pinata thing they have right now.

If you changed microbomb increments to say, 4tc, but every op started with one by default (also macro would then go down to 16, considering the cap), that would be neat.
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #98385

CPTANT wrote:I am not really sure if I like getting instagibbed by an undetectable suicide bomber who just goes all explosive implants for them lulz.
They do so at the expensive of a valuable team member (themselves, meaning they sit the rest of the round out after their little gigglebomb fit) and a hefty chunk of TC. Nuke rounds tend to be short anyway.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98388

Oh, keep in mind that Explosive Implants aren't only available in nuke ops. It's been like this since at least the 4tc nerf. Maybe further back.

Microbombs and Macrobombs are still available in Traitor too.
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #98391

I'm not really comfortable with ordinary traitors having macrobombs tbh. Mostly because traitor is such a common game mode, it tends to run longer than nuke, and every traitor has 20TC.

Put yourself in the shoes of a shitlord. If I were a shitlord, I'd go for a macrobomb every single round and just pop it if I'm about to die/be permabrigged/whatever. ESPECIALLY once I'm dragged to the brig and undressed -- bye bye, brig. If I can't get greentext, then everyone around me dies.

I have a feeling that it would become way, way too common. The more I think about it, the less comfortable with it I become, and the less welcoming I am of it in nuke as well.
Last edited by Babin on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98393

And then you don't have any other TCs for any actual equipment.

I don't see a problem with traitors sacrificing all of their TCs for 1 single explosion that kills them.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #98394

A single new bomb cap bomb will utterly assblast the entire brig (since it's mainly glass). Pretty meh if traitors can do that, especially considering you could get them in rng crates + extra shit.

In nuke ops it's fine because the rounds are short and bloody anyway.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #98396

For fucks sake. Make Gib yourselftier implants cost 1tc. Atleast then its about the price of an emag
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #98397

just for the record, this will make double agent rounds even more fucking awful
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98400

PKPenguin321 wrote:just for the record, this will make double agent rounds even more fucking awful
I fucking hate double agents and I want it gone, but that's for a different time.
lumipharon wrote:A single new bomb cap bomb will utterly assblast the entire brig (since it's mainly glass). Pretty meh if traitors can do that, especially considering you could get them in rng crates + extra shit.
And? it's trivially easy to make a maxcap bomb in science nowadays, so it's really no different. If anything this one is worse because this one is guaranteed to kill you in the process.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #98405

Golly now I don't need to put work into taking the people who arrest me and everyone around out of the round permanently!

I don't think it's a good idea, hell at least with voice analyzes getting stunted made you fuck up the phrase.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98408

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Golly now I don't need to put work into taking the people who arrest me and everyone around out of the round permanently!
Okay. Your point is?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #98409

It's a question of accessibility.

The logic of 'toxins can do the same thing easily' can be sued to say there is no point in these implants (or any explosives) to begin with, since you can just do the same thing with toxins (or chem), with extra benefits.

Toxins is only accessible by a few people, and take some degree of time and effort.
Implants would let you cripple a whole department 20 seconds into the round.

The idea is still good, just, keep in mind how it can be abused in tator/DA.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #98410

>That glorious feel when you setup autoscanner and purchase 10 implants to take out your target

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #98411

PKPenguin321 wrote:just for the record, this will make double agent rounds even more fucking awful
Why would anyone use this they die too

iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98412

Bombadil wrote:>That glorious feel when you setup autoscanner and purchase 10 implants to take out your target
Valid gameplay. That's clever use of R&D and Medbay tools.
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #98414

Bombadil wrote:
Blowing up two heads of staff and 3 security officers is well worth being taken out of the round. Suicide bombing is tremendously fun.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98418

TechnoAlchemist wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Blowing up two heads of staff and 3 security officers is well worth being taken out of the round. Suicide bombing is tremendously fun.
Then what's the problem here if it's fun?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #98421

Bombadil wrote:
>kill target without tc
>implant self with 20tc megabomb :^)
>assassin comes to kill you
>he does
>he dies and station is hit by maxcap bomb
>this happens multiple times per round, as if a toxin scientist had to do overtime and made 20 maxcaps

alternatively
>kill target without tc
>he explodes because :^) le bomb
>everybody loses
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #98422

While we're at it, why don't we just let people add prox sensors to C4?

Oh, right.
Mime: Depresso
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #98423

You essentially can. signaller on the c4 wire, with a signaller/poxysenser assembly on the same signal on the same tile/where ever.

Hell, you could attach the c4 TO the signaller/proxy assembly with a 30minutes timer if you really wanted.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #98425

Why can't we have 20tc suicide vests that have to be hidden under coats instead?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #98427

I seriously just would like to see Ops start off with these microbombs pre-implanted already, this whole situation is essentially one or two people versus everyone else on that issue and the sooner we stop dancing around the issue the better.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #98429

Reimoo wrote:Why can't we have 20tc suicide vests that have to be hidden under coats instead?
mitebcool

I'm all for ALLAHUACKBAR but a maxcap bomb (especially with the new extended maxcap) that you can detonate freely as an implant is pretty fuckin' OP.

Like literally why the fuck not use it if you've done your traitor deed and have a shitton of contraband on you or got caught mid-murder?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #98431

Suicide bombs are very fun, yes for the suiciding person. However it is very unfun for the 5* people who also get gibbed as a result. I wouldn't totally be against some sort of short term warning or alarm a bit before the actual detonation.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #98458

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Suicide bombs are very fun, yes for the suiciding person. However it is very unfun for the 5* people who also get gibbed as a result. I wouldn't totally be against some sort of short term warning or alarm a bit before the actual detonation.
What if the fuse for the explosive is triggered by shouting something?
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #98459

iamgoofball wrote:
Aren't you guys asking for more lethal PVP danger though? This is pretty lethal and dangerous.

It's like you code for this game without having even the slightest inkling of how it works or what the players want.

Yes we want more lethality, no we don't want it in the form of idiots suicide bombing the brig at roundstart.

Is that really so fucking hard to comprehend?
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #98460

Oldman Robustin wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

It's like you code for this game without having even the slightest inkling of how it works or what the players want.

Yes we want more lethality, no we don't want it in the form of idiots suicide bombing the brig at roundstart.

Is that really so fucking hard to comprehend?
Do you really think people would suicide bomb the brig? They instantly lose out on playing antag at that point

iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98462

NEW TO THIS PR:
Nuke ops now start with microbomb implants again. I got the goahead from cherry dan to do this.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #98471

Can you implant others?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #98476

Tokiko2 wrote:Can you implant others?
I would assume so but they would have to die or deathgasp to trigger it. If they managed to succumb or something before it was put in I don't think it would work.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #98478

Does this mean syndie firing pins can be removed since equipment denial implants are cheap as chips now
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #98480

Pins were really dumb they were put in civvie gear which couldn't normally exist without them like proto kinetic accelerators.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #98481

I still think syndie pins should be a cheap optional item. So if you buy an expensive gun, maybe a tc or 2 is worth making sure your enemy can't use it.
Would be even better because they wouldn't be syndie pinned all the time. So the crew wouldn't know until they fire it.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #98484

Modedit: Unnecessary hostility removed.

Less salty: The entire point of raising the bomb cap was so that traitors would have an incentive to do toxins, or to sneak into/steal from/murderously steal from toxins, instead of being able to buy a close-enough-to-max-cap bomb from their uplink with zero work whatsoever. Traitors implanting max-cap bombs into themselves is creative and takes work, and likely cooperation with/sabotage of other departments, which has a payoff and is everything tator is supposed to be. Being able to buy an instant implanted max-cap bomb, ie an instant-win button (particularly if they have the objective to DIE A GLORIOUS DEATH) is just lazy and stupid and results in boring traitoring.

That said, the idea of stackable microbombs is interesting, lethality is good, and I support ops getting explosive implants again, just don't put it anywhere near the goddamn bomb cap, holy shit. Maybe the old bomb cap. Even that is kind of much. The macrobomb doesn't even make much sense for ops anyway because 99% of the places they need to bomb (tcomms, into armory) work just fine with the standard bombs) and any other use would probably result in a total team kill.
Last edited by MisterPerson on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed hostilty
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #98494

Maybe make the macro as strong as a syndie bomb. This way, some officers and parts of the brig will survive a close encounter with the shit kind. (Or give officers x-ray goggles that can scan for implants in a body :honk: )

Also remember what it was like when DAs had access to 5tc syndie bombs? You could tell what round type it is by counting the number of explosions in the first 5 minutes. As a DA, there's little reason to NOT have a dead man's switch.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #98495

I think you should cap the max amount of implants in the body at 5 or something like that. You can always keep a syndibombcore in your backpack and trigger your implant if you want a larger explosion and I have a feeling that anything larger than a syndibomb explosion might be a bad idea.

Edit: Actually this doesn't work. The current implant just gibs you and ignores bombs you have on yourself. Disappointing.
Last edited by Tokiko2 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #98497

keep in mind a syndie bomb on the other side of an r-wall from an apc or other machine will quite possibly not even damage it. It's that comparatively weak with the new code.
bandit

Post by bandit » #98519

It's not a damage thing, it's a risk/reward thing. Having a maxcap bomb implanted in you should take at least some effort beyond pressing a button.

admin feedback pls
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #98536

It costs twenty tc AND YOUR LIFE
for one max cap bomb, Jesus, yeah it's nice, but it's not exactly cheap, Why are people getting their panties in a wad?

I think it's brilliant honestly, And as they cost one it's good for extra TC leftover at the end as an extra "fuck you too" should you get got.
Even just one would be satifying to know you temporarily deafened the two assistants who vigilanted up to stop the tator with their toolboxes of justice.

and it's a clever middle ground between people who want loot denial automatically in nuke op, and people who don't, a couple extra TC leftover buys an implant or two to at least try to prevent the mime silently murdering the rest of the team with your shotgun.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98550

Okay, look.

The reason I added the macrobomb is because I know that at some point someone's gonna look at the implants and go "hm what happens if I implant 20 of these?"

I'm saving that guy the hassle of having to inject 20 in a row.

Macrobombs are literally just 20 microbombs in 1. It's purely to save you the hassle of Inventory Management: The Game: The 3D Experience: On Ice

Think of it this way:

When these idiots suicide bomb at roundstart, the station is full on supplies and can repair it easily because engineering's supplies and crap haven't been effected.

If all the antags die, it mulligans and makes random people antags.

Therefore, it's BETTER for these guys to be dumb and kill themselves, because then you have a chance to become an antag.
Tokiko2 wrote:I think you should cap the max amount of implants in the body at 5 or something like that.
No. That's boring.
lumipharon wrote:I still think syndie pins should be a cheap optional item.
If they aren't already purchasable, sure.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #98551

The Macrobomb is fine, your expending half your TC's for a action that results in your, essentially, permanent death. Its a final "fuck you" to whoever managed to capture you.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #98561

Steelpoint wrote:The Macrobomb is fine, your expending half your TC's for a action that results in your, essentially, permanent death. Its a final "fuck you" to whoever managed to capture you.
It's all of your TCs.
bandit

Post by bandit » #98661

iamgoofball wrote:Okay, look.

The reason I added the macrobomb is because I know that at some point someone's gonna look at the implants and go "hm what happens if I implant 20 of these?"

I'm saving that guy the hassle of having to inject 20 in a row.

Macrobombs are literally just 20 microbombs in 1. It's purely to save you the hassle of Inventory Management: The Game: The 3D Experience: On Ice
I am fine with the idea of 20 microbombs. What I'm not fine with is the cumulative effect being anywhere near the bomb cap. If you want a max-cap bomb implanted in you, you should have to acquire that max-cap bomb and implant that max-cap bomb by means more difficult and challenging and interactive than ordering it from an uplink.

admin feedback pls
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #98669

Seriously with 5 devastation currently it's basically whatever room you pop in, its done. There's no risk to using it either since you can activate it in various states of disabled. I'll honestly see no reason for officers to not just magdump SUSPECTED traitors from a safe distance in the event they just ackbar once cuffed.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #98685

Saegrimr wrote:Seriously with 5 devastation currently it's basically whatever room you pop in, its done. There's no risk to using it either since you can activate it in various states of disabled. I'll honestly see no reason for officers to not just magdump SUSPECTED traitors from a safe distance in the event they just ackbar once cuffed.
Besides any possible administrative issues, I suppose.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #98686

MisterPerson wrote:Besides any possible administrative issues, I suppose.
If people can roast a dude suspected of being a changeling then they can roast a greyshirt on suspicion of having their colon lined with extreme explosives.

I'd rather not have to deal administrative punishment for poorly thought out "features"
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #98687

This is so horrid as an idea

It actually means that I have to crit people to arrest them if I can confirm the gamemode is traitor/DA or risk being gibbed

Like what the fuck
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha