Reactive Teleport Armor Nerf War

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Reactive Teleport Armor Nerf War

Post by Ikarrus » #98609

Githubbers generally seem to have accepted that the teleport armor needs a nerf for what it is (No risk of spacing, 50% teleport chance per hit, 6-tile range)

They can't decide on what road to take though.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10112
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10131

Feel free to share your thoughts.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Reactive Teleport Armor Nerf War

Post by Scones » #98610

If you have it enabled while space tiles are on your screen in terms of closeness, you deserve the chance of being spaced. The armor is actually incredibly powerful, I've had it save me from assured death by jaunting me behind multiple doors the assailant could not access. It should certainly have a drawback in the sense of:
1.) You have to be intelligent regarding when and where you enable the armor
2.) People can actually kill you by patiently waiting for an area where you will have it disabled/if it is enabled it's very dangerous to you

It's an interesting and unique piece of armor for the RD. I don't think it should be stunning them, but it should punish careless wearers.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #98611

It can also fuck you, if you're hurt/crit, and someone tries to help you only for the armor to teleport you away to where they can't find/reach you, and you die.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #98612

Do I get any special say as the person who added the item? I want it to have a chance of spacing you.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #98613

lumipharon wrote:It can also fuck you, if you're hurt/crit, and someone tries to help you only for the armor to teleport you away to where they can't find/reach you, and you die.
Encourages intelligent management of the armor being on/off
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #98638

The spacing chance is optimal. The RTA can activate when you really do not want it do so (people LOVE to troll the RD), a harmless hug on the shuttle can be your death. The RTA seems to LOVE trapping me in windows and in places I need help to escape (i.e. maint). Of course, if I turn it off, then I have less protection than even my labcoat. Still, the RTA is the only thing the RD can get, so it is certainly the "better than nothing" item.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #98641

I just think it'd be more fun if catastrophic failures could happen if you're not careful. The armor has an easy on/off button right on your screen, so it's not so random that it can't be avoided.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #98645

Teleporting to space is what should happen. Bad teleports should be the downside of an armor that teleports you. Stunning and doing damage after teleporting you makes no fucking sense and is shitty for gameplay.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #98675

tbh i'd rather see people get spaced than get a teeny bit of toxin damage, it adds a real drawback to having the armor on all all all the time, not to mention the extra stun won't matter much since iirc it already teleports you when you get stunned and most people lead with stuns anyways
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #98826

Scones wrote:If you have it enabled while space tiles are on your screen in terms of closeness, you deserve the chance of being spaced. The armor is actually incredibly powerful, I've had it save me from assured death by jaunting me behind multiple doors the assailant could not access. It should certainly have a drawback in the sense of:
1.) You have to be intelligent regarding when and where you enable the armor
2.) People can actually kill you by patiently waiting for an area where you will have it disabled/if it is enabled it's very dangerous to you

It's an interesting and unique piece of armor for the RD. I don't think it should be stunning them, but it should punish careless wearers.
i agree with this in principle, but 1) and 2) are not fulfilled because the only places that there are space tiles are the very outside of the station (remember, 6-tile range, not even 7) and the halls near the bridge.
and even then, gg no re death is still shitty.

if somebody could think of some better solutions i'd like to hear them, but as it stands now the first nerf won't really do much.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #98851

Miauw wrote:i agree with this in principle, but 1) and 2) are not fulfilled because the only places that there are space tiles are the very outside of the station (remember, 6-tile range, not even 7) and the halls near the bridge.
Not all maps are Box, remember. Metastation has space tiles near the corporate showroom, Toxins, Vault and AI upload (I probably missed a few).
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #98941

Having them slow you was perfect.

Anything less really won't do it.

Even if it can space you, I'd typically rather be spaced than shot/stabbed/bladed/etc.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #98983

Give it a cooldown as well.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #98999

Why have a cooldown? If it activates, you're going to be flung out of attack range for a while, and if it doesn't what is there to cool?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #99003

The spacing chance should only apply to attacks. Having to explain yourself to admins for accidently spacing the RD while trying to heal them out of crit is really bad.
M0nsoon
Byond Username: ShadowHunterOO

Post by M0nsoon » #99009

Tokiko2 wrote:The spacing chance should only apply to attacks. Having to explain yourself to admins for accidently spacing the RD while trying to heal them out of crit is really bad.
I'm pretty sure having the armor active at all time makes you valid until you turn it off.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #99069

WHY NOT HAVE BOTH?
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #99098

Cheridan wrote:WHY NOT HAVE BOTH?
What, so you can ensure it will never be worn by any research director again? Having both nerfs instead of just one isn't a good thing unless it's heavily justified (as it is, I'm not even sure why everyone's so upset with the RD having a good set of armour anyway, apart from there apparently being a 'consensus' among 'githubbers').
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #99100

Tokiko2 wrote:The spacing chance should only apply to attacks. Having to explain yourself to admins for accidently spacing the RD while trying to heal them out of crit is really bad.
That's the downside to its prototypeness. Strip the armour first.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #99103

Cheridan wrote:WHY NOT HAVE BOTH?
Why not? Merge they both. A 2 second stun is nothing.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #99134

2 second stuns make a difference like you'd expect they would. If it's "nothing" why merge it at all? Because obviously it is a big deal. You lose any weapons you're holding (especially if you get hit again shortly afterwards, as is highly likely), you can't react to attacks, you can't run away, you can't even switch your armour off. Chances are this is a good way to make the armour stunlock you indefinitely.

It's still not clear to me what is so bad about having this armour being powerful in the first place, but if we're going to make it worse, it might as well not be in such a way that it's worse than fucking useless in any fight with weapons ever. If it starts stunning people it won't even be good for escape.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #99165

Give it a little cooldown with a chance to space you.
Using it in quick succession causes vomiting.
Can be upgraded with R&D parts?
I play Boris Pepper.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #99238

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Why have a cooldown? If it activates, you're going to be flung out of attack range for a while, and if it doesn't what is there to cool?
Because if the armor user is on the offensive its fucking brutal.

I watched an RD murder a pretty robust ling just because he managed to get flung 3 times in a row, RD would pop out of the room and resume his assault, get hit again, run back out, etc.
DrunkenMatey
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Post by DrunkenMatey » #99239

i could swear it used to space people back in the day... anyways, my vote is definitely to give it the chance to space people (again?).