Staff of animation objects are too deadly

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Do you think animated objects are too powerful?

Yes
26%
No
74%
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 19

Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Staff of animation objects are too deadly

Post by Amnestik » #102412

So full disclosure, I just came from a round where I died 2 minutes in in a station full of corpses due to a bunch of animated grilles following people around and murdering them. This isn't a new problem though. This staff has been this way for years. It's very easy to wipe out an entire station with it. It requires minimal effort to create unlimited simple mobs that will chase and attack anyone who comes into their view range.

So what do you think? Is the SoA overpowered? Why/why not? Should it be nerfed? If so, how?
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Staff of animation objects are too deadly

Post by TheNightingale » #102414

The solution: make the mobs attack the wizard too. Do they do this already?

E: Or make an animated object turn back into its original item after a few minutes. This'd be good for those rogue vendors too.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #102415

These are where the melee armor nerfs hurt the worst, in such an oddly specific situation
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #102419

Scones wrote:These are where the melee armor nerfs hurt the worst, in such an oddly specific situation
That''s why I said the armor nerfs were so fucking stupid because all instances where Mining RIGS,Riot suits,etc are useful are incredibly specific situations.
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #102421

You have every advantage over an animated object, access to ranged weapons, speed, intellect, etc.

In no way are they "overpowered".
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #102425

Skorvold wrote:You have every advantage over an animated object, access to ranged weapons, speed, intellect, etc.

Grilles have around 50-60 hp and hit pretty hard, even with security armor on. Range doesn't mean much when 90% of the crew doesn't have access to any ranged weapons and then you realize every window on the station wants you dead for some reason.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #102438

Yeah, they're pretty powerful, it's a shame melee resistance got nerfed. About the only effective way to clear out a set of grilles is with lasguns (or any high damage gun) and wirecutters (for when they go still).
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #102472

Scones wrote:These are where the melee armor nerfs hurt the worst, in such an oddly specific situation
Why would the majority of players be wearing armour?
Skorvold wrote:You have every advantage over an animated object, access to ranged weapons, speed, intellect, etc.

Seriously?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #102475

>ranged weapons
Except everyone who isn't in sec

>speed
Until you've taken a few hits and you're now slow as, or slower then the objects

>intellect
>implying the average spessman is smarter then an animated grille

Objects de-animating after a while would be ok.
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #102481

The reason for the incredulity in my previous response is because as Lumi has said, most players don't have ranged weapons, and one hit from an object is all it takes to make you move slower than them. As for avoiding them: most people don't have maintenance access, and all it takes is a few animated objects in central primary to prevent people from going anywhere without being attacked. As an area denial weapon, they work really well. If you fire the staff off in medbay 6 or 7 times, anyone who goes there to seek treatment is immediately be mauled by grilles.

Forgive my shitty tone, I need to go to bed.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #102482

Yeah, you can kite them pretty well, and easily take them out, Assuming you got full mobility, but you might accidently back into another mob of them, which is likely considering how spamable the staff is.

A time limit on animation would be reasonably helpful for this.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #102492

Maybe a cap on how many things can be animated at once?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #102521

Staff of Animation has been OP as shit since the day it was added. It always annoyed me at a personal level as well because it was added shortly after Soulstones/Staff of Change, and it's vastly superior to either of them in spamming monsters while failing to bring other players back into the round/spread the fun to other people.

I'm sure the armor nerf made it worse but 90% of the crew doesn't have the armor to deal with it anyway, and sec doesn't even have the guns to deal with it because their guns are attacking them.

That and there is no fucking air because all the grilles ran off.
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #102522

"grille come back i need you to hold that air in"

"haha no"
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #102523

Grilles don't hold in air, the windows do. Unless they're electified the grills are just useless pieces of trash that make the windows look better and mildly inconvenience your attempts to break down windows.

Also yeah the staff of animation is crazy powerful, even moreso after I added the statue synergy (to be fair, that had to be a thing).

I had a thought of objects losing health rapidly if the wizard left the room, so that the objects would be more "help me fight/block shots" in a skirmishing sense and less "let me just animate everything everywhere and let them kill the crew for me while I run away scot free.

But running distance checks for dozens of items every tick has struck me as probably costly.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #102524

Statue synergy being?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #102525

DemonFiren wrote:Statue synergy being?
If you take flesh to stone and staff of animation, you can animate the statues you make of people to create player controlled super mobs that literally cannot die but can only move when no one's looking.

They revert back to humans eventually, but 4 byond minutes is a long time.

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #102526

Incoming wrote:Grilles don't hold in air, the windows do. Unless they're electified the grills are just useless pieces of trash that make the windows look better and mildly inconvenience your attempts to break down windows.
Must be the grilles smashing all the windows as they run to attack people I'm thinking of then
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #102531

leave staff of animation alone, animation station is a gimmick that requires almost all the wizards spell points to be put into it and therefore should be really powerful, not to mention there ARE valid counters (ranged weapons, not walking into things that will kill you like a retard because you can outrun them)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #102532

Incoming wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Statue synergy being?
If you take flesh to stone and staff of animation, you can animate the statues you make of people to create player controlled super mobs that literally cannot die but can only move when no one's looking.

They revert back to humans eventually, but 4 byond minutes is a long time.
Three of us teamed up once and killed a statue with fireaxes and toolboxes one time. Like, we were just standing there smashing it for like fifteen minutes while other people wandered past saying shit like "Just give up" and "Are you still doing that"?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #102557

Not pushing for this nerf, but you realize magic missile is a thing right?

Getting MM'd and then destroyed by a grille before you can even get up is pretty annoying.

With the new Wizard spells that let them recall items, I feel like the staff might be a bit over the top but it only really get obnoxious in combo with other spells. Statue + SoA is even sillier with their AoE blind aka "Go on a killing spree once every 60 seconds".
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #102559

Balance -> wizard mode

HA.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #102562

A good reason the return to original armour values perhaps, imagine how bad rev can get by comparison were equivalent concentration of SENTIENT hostiles can bear down on you.
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #102633

CPTANT wrote:Balance -> wizard mode

HA.
It's a video game, so yeah, you'd expect there to be balance.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #102644

CPTANT wrote:Balance -> wizard mode

HA.
Unfortunately it's that attitude that's led to some pretty broken stuff. "Well wizard is a completely unbalanced mess anyway, why not add slaughter demons/animated statues/liches/free skeleton race change/etc."

I wouldn't mind if wizard wasn't perpetually #3/#4 in term of weighting. If you don't get traitor/ling, then chances are you've got a wizard incoming.

Wizard should be the occasional diversion from more standard gametypes, when it appears more often you really see how trash of a mode it is. 95% of wizard is him hiding in a maint locker. That's part of why I don't mind SoA's superiority, because at least it forces the wizard to actually stay on camera for a while and fight the crew rather than MM+*INSERT ONE-SHOT NOSCOPE 360 SUPERSKILL SPELL HERE*+JAUNT INTO AN ATMOS CLOSET OR SOME SHIT+REPEAT.
Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #102645

The difficulty with Wizard is that it's a single player who is meant to be able to accomplish the same tasks as an entire team of nuke ops and carry an entire round by themselves, which makes for very swingy gameplay and is not very healthy to balance around.
Hopefully with antag datums that add minor wizards, and traitors during wizard mode, it'll be easier to tone wizards down a bit without then having the problem of their just being sort of useless, because at present a Wizard basically needs to be able to win any fight that isn't against a big group, but that's very frustrating for the other player who got caught out.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #102686

Why not just reduce the damage animated objects do? Shit like chairs,medkits,or fucking syringes being able to crit you with relative ease is fucking retarded. Do the same for Malf AIs and their really dumb ability to make doors and shit suddenly become alive and deal massive damage, least make smaller animated objects do like 5-10 brute and shit like vending machines doing 20 or so.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #102779

> Most of the server wants the server to be deadlier.

> Complains about the server being too deadly.

Which is it? At what point is the wizard going to be shooting banana peels instead of firebolts?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #102803

To be honest, a wizard with a reasonably cheap banana peel spell might just be fucking horrifying.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #102822

A time max on animation sounds like a reasonable idea
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #102864

Amelius wrote:> Most of the server wants the server to be deadlier.

> Complains about the server being too deadly.

Which is it? At what point is the wizard going to be shooting banana peels instead of firebolts?
It's that simple minded type of analysis that has held prevented so many good changes and let in so many bad ones.

You can want a deadlier station and still want to remove stuff like morphine blob/acid blob/etc. even though its the epitome of HARDMODE.

Part of it is that simple disparity. That some OP stuff can rack up a double digit body count in under 10 minutes and has no counterplay, while the average traitor/ling game goes on for an hour and results in more BRAINDEAD than ACTUALDEAD.

For the record I still think SoA probably shouldn't be touched outside of maybe nerfing the living statues so that the blind has a smaller AoE or goes back to being targeted with a shorter CD. I was laughing my ass off, but it really was disgusting just sitting in medbay surrounded by a dozen people near and far in a well lit area and every 60 seconds I would hit blind, kill two people, wait 60 seconds, rinse and repeat.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #102868

DemonFiren wrote:To be honest, a wizard with a reasonably cheap banana peel spell might just be fucking horrifying.

Code: Select all

if(3)
			for(var/turf/T in orange(2, get_turf(src)))
				if(!T.density)
					var/obj/item/weapon/grown/bananapeel/oh_banana
					var/honk = pick("HONK", "...")
					if(honk == "HONK")
						oh_banana = new /obj/item/weapon/grown/bananapeel(T)
					else
						oh_banana = new /obj/item/weapon/grown/bananapeel/mimanapeel(T)
					oh_banana.potency = pick(1,10,20,30,40,50)
(it's already coming)