Blob

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Blob

Post by Amnestik » #106756

Either you lose early or your victory is a foregone conclusion for the next 20 minutes (i.e. the xenomorph school of game design).

Oh, and the pre-selected blob spawn points leftover from NPC blobs are hardly ideal places for player blobs to spawn at.

Just some thoughts.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Blob

Post by Steelpoint » #106766

Why not have a automatic ERT call sent out if 30 minutes elapse in a blob round?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #106791

Steelpoint wrote:Why not have a automatic ERT call sent out if 30 minutes elapse in a blob round?
To be honest, I would be quite angry if an admin did that to my daughter and me during a round. Winning a fight against an aggressive crew is a tough, hard earned victory. The bigger you get, the more areas you have to check for attackers. You have to be ready to deal with 4x emitter walls cutting you in half. Emitters have extreme range, and it is often nigh-impossible to stop them short of moving your core and trying to snake around them. Furthermore, at least one person is going to drop a canister of plasma fire into you, and then it is a rush to fortify yourself with strong blobs, else you get pushed back all the way to your core. This is not even mentioning the myriad of recharge stations and laser guns you have to handle as well.

My point is that a long, drawn-out fight is intense (and fun!) for the blob players, and is likely so for the living, fighting crew as well! I would be extraordinarily upset if 30 minutes into a slow, but hard-fought victory were completely erased because I did not win quickly enough. That being said, if the fight were to last an hour, I would be fine with an ERT autocall or the nuke code being sent...but not at 30 minutes. If I should lose a battle so soon in the round, it should be because the crew managed to build X-rays/mechs/bombs, or whatever tools to kill me.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #106808

Core shunting should be removed IMO.

It's the thing that prevents effective blob counterplay from advanced crew tactics from really mattering. Oh you set up a battery of emitters pointed toward my core? *SCHWOOOP* congrats you just spent 10 minutes to kill one of my nodes, my new node is protected from space, 2bad4u.

Even (nerfed) Xray guns will fail since a late-stag blob can grow faster than xrays can kill it. Even if you fight your way to core, *SWHOOOP* you just blew all your gun charges to carve a path to a node... meanwhile the blob just dropped two more nodes in the holodeck, rekt.

Keeping the core static gives the crew a way to focus a last ditch effort, the blob can still try to protect itself with strongblob walls, juggerblebs, etc etc

With core shunting you have to try and completely "turn the tide" against the blob and the only way to do that is also the best way to ensure you get *BWOINKED*

(Plasma fire is an optimal tactic now kids, pass it on, fastmos dissipates the heat quickly so that the burnt area stays harmful for 1 minutes... not 10 like before, and a robust plasma fire will destroy 50+ blob tiles no problem, get someone with lasers (or yourself with a welder if you have the atmos/CE suit) to pop the now exposed nodes ezpz, you can make a robust plasma fire canister for 10 metal and in 10 seconds at atmos/turbine)
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #106854

Oldman Robustin wrote:Core shunting should be removed IMO.

It's the thing that prevents effective blob counterplay from advanced crew tactics from really mattering. Oh you set up a battery of emitters pointed toward my core? *SCHWOOOP* congrats you just spent 10 minutes to kill one of my nodes, my new node is protected from space, 2bad4u.

Even (nerfed) Xray guns will fail since a late-stag blob can grow faster than xrays can kill it. Even if you fight your way to core, *SWHOOOP* you just blew all your gun charges to carve a path to a node... meanwhile the blob just dropped two more nodes in the holodeck, rekt.

Keeping the core static gives the crew a way to focus a last ditch effort, the blob can still try to protect itself with strongblob walls, juggerblebs, etc etc

With core shunting you have to try and completely "turn the tide" against the blob and the only way to do that is also the best way to ensure you get *BWOINKED*

(Plasma fire is an optimal tactic now kids, pass it on, fastmos dissipates the heat quickly so that the burnt area stays harmful for 1 minutes... not 10 like before, and a robust plasma fire will destroy 50+ blob tiles no problem, get someone with lasers (or yourself with a welder if you have the atmos/CE suit) to pop the now exposed nodes ezpz, you can make a robust plasma fire canister for 10 metal and in 10 seconds at atmos/turbine)
Your forgetting you can just bomb cores to death as a result of the change to bomb cap.

15 minute rounds WOOOOO.

Clearly core blob strat is to now to purge toxins into the air and lighting all of sci on fire and destroyign toxins
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #106856

I'm sorry blobs can shunt like malf AI's now? How and why?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #106857

Blobs can swap their core with one of their factories at a cost.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #106869

It's nodes, but basically that, yes. It's hilarious; in one round, I managed to coordinate three other blobs into shunting into one location, in this case being science. We won handily, with none of us dying.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #106874

Blob has no way of surviving maxcap bombs at all.

This means that if you don't spawn near the RnD wing you will basically never win against a crew with even 1 competent scientist.

Also The RCD proliferation has made it very easy for engineers to set up emitters and remove any obstructions in the way of firing at the blob.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.