Spacewind is now retarded

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Spacewind is now retarded

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #108384

Bottom post of the previous page:

I think with Fastmos, we may be forced to go the ZAS route and plonk in a bunch of extra airlocks everywhere, so poking a hole outside EVA doesn't space the janitor's closet, and Escape doesn't do nasty things to Meday
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #108415

You'd think w_class would factor into pulling or something. Or maybe it is and its just set stupidly high.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #108416

I don't think so, unsecured wall girders get tossed around as much as paper, which makes it impossible to put a wall over a breach since either you or the girder will be sucked out to space and cancel the interaction
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #108657

Shaps wrote:I don't think so, unsecured wall girders get tossed around as much as paper, which makes it impossible to put a wall over a breach since either you or the girder will be sucked out to space and cancel the interaction
w_class is for items only (ie things you can pick up). Girders are a structure.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #109056

all movable atoms have a pressure resistance var. Paper this is at like 0 or 1, humans this is some other number, this can be tweaked per object
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #109062

Humans pressure resistance is 15 is if I am not mistaken.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #109164

Jesus Christ almighty, had the most horrifying round yesterday.

Traitor CE floods the station with plasma.
It never gets ignited as far as I'm aware, but the pressure was high enough to hurt people, and I, an engineer in a hardsuit, could BARELY move down a fucking corridor.
Every single tile, I would have to fight space wind for 10 seconds to move.
Trying to get through an airlock literally took over a minute each time.

It was completely and utterly rediculous, and made the station horribly unplayable.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Spacewind is now awful

Post by TheNightingale » #109190

I think it might be a little too pushy. External airlocks? Nope. Have fun dragging a body inside without throwing them, alright?
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #109817

You tink space station get hald, so it becomes mole easy

You hate hugbolx and tink it fo babies, so commitels make tings halder and deadly

Ooooo but noooo now you hate DEADLY DEATHS. YOU ROVU HUGBOLX NOW.

WELL YOU DONTU KNOW WHATTU YOU RIKE!

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU WANT!!!!!?
I accept donations, click here
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #109821

I like the way it is, but some things could be changed. Like spacewind shouldn't push away a body you are grabbing.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #109822

That's some pretty cool shitposting there.

This has nothing to do with 'difficulty' or 'being more lethal'

This is 'I cannot fucking move, this is super annoying and inconvenient.'
It would be the equivilent of your screen constantly flashing with bright lights, or the screen spinning around.
Yes, this is literally more 'difficult', but it is nt fun, or interesting, or good gameplay.

A breach, or high pressure air sending me flyin down the hall might be interesting.
Jittering back and forwards for 10 minutes trying to walk down the corridor is not.

Edit: I've realised the perfect analogy for what space wind currently feels like:
It's like trying to walk up the middle of a strong river - an endless river of water constantly smashing you back, tell you to fuck off.
Last edited by lumipharon on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #109835

Also hugging a wall should give you more resistance.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #109859

i don't mind getting stuck outside the airlock and dying, but that's not what happens. the real problem is dropping what you're trying to drag 5 times, which is just annoying, not dangerous. simply get rid of that and keep current spacewind levels if you really want it to be deadly.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #109942

While realistic, things being so easily moved around by pressure adds no 'challenge', 'deadliness' or 'excitement' (to grab a few of the keywords used by people defending the current state).

I have run into a single incident where I thought this new space wind did something impressive and 'fun'. The rest of the time it's just me trying to get an ore box/body into an airlock for 30 seconds or me giving up doing anything in a high pressure environment because 'FUCK THAT'.
Almost every round somebody types FUCK SPACE WIND.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #109978

Ore box must become fatter.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #110120

Hell i've seen people die trying to get into maint from a hallway that exploded but spacewind was dragging them out even at full health
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #110542

presented without comment
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #110557

Well, what if instead of making it less powerful, we add better tools to close breaches?
What do you think?
I accept donations, click here
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #110559

I mean we already have crazy good RCD's, I'd be worried that anything more effective would make even maxcap breaches feel trivial (they kind of already are unless they destroy critical equipment, the breach itself is often paved over by the nearest engineer/engiborg in 30 seconds.

Plus the spacewind with breaches doesn't get crazy just because of the nature of the decompression or whatever, I haven't seen it done this week but what prompted this post was scrubbers/airpumps completely paralyzing anyone around them due to their massive spacewind pull.

Since this post AI's have been sticking to plasma pumping for their extermination efforts, so I really don't have much more experience to comment on where I've felt spacewind was just too much.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #110671

Because breaches aren't even the biggest problems about space wind.

If you flood the station with AIR, you can kill people, because the space wind makes it next to impossible to walk down the damn corridor, even harder to get through an airlock, and you're taking pressure damage all the time.

It is literally retarded, no one likes it. This is usually a good sign it needs to be fixed.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #110676

Yeah, this is not fun. We don't need equipment so specific people can get away, the whole system just needs to be unfucked. A mild pressure difference makes it impossible to cross rooms at times.

Here's a quick anecdote. I recently fell victim to an elaborate prank where a known bomb-maker was being perma'd, and I dressed up in a bomb suit to search him. No bombs, but he did have a stunprod. The stunprod was explosive (joke's on me) so when I used it on him a small hull breach was created and he died. I was wearing the bomb suit, so I was healthy and fine (not even stunned), but three tiles exposed to space meant I spent about 25 seconds trying to move from that tile until I died.

How about another? I was in the ai's 'turret lobby', as part of a group trying to dismantle it. It had syphoned the room. It took about 20 seconds to get to the (open) door into its core because every time you moved a tile towards it, the pressure pulled you back. Eventually a floorbot deconstructed part of the floor, and we had to get an RCD to destroy a bunch of the walling to get more than a couple of people inside. Oddly enough, the pressure was only a problem in the left hand part of the room, if you came to the door from up top it was fine. Not fun.

Okay, here's a last one. Exiting the AI core, I used the tunnel. Now, there was a wall torn open there, but I was wearing a hardsuit so I thought it would be fine. Wrong. I spent a while struggling to leave the room (door was open, the pressure was just overwhelming) and got pushed back into the pipe a few times, before eventually manoeuvring a locker into place and pushing off that. Fun? No.

More space wind is not more entertaining. It makes minor hull breaches shit for everyone. It makes movement next to impossible. And since it's applied on a tile by tile basis, it feel really inconsistent. I shouldn't die if I cross three tiles open to space, but I do and will at the moment if I've somehow been unlucky enough to be on top of one. And dragging something in through a pressure breach? Don't even pretend that's plausible.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #110981

Excellent example why the new space wind is shit beyond belief.

An anomaly was ripping up the hallway between library and the mech bay. Breaches all over. The escape shuttle has docked.
Some people that weren't stunned by venturing too close to the anomaly, tried their best to get to the escape arm. Bouncing back and forth between two tiles; this isn't something new to this thread. It's the hated 'barely caught in a breach but unable to escape' scenario.
The anomaly + space exposure took some lives, though. As a cold resistant geneticist, I tried my best to get all the bodies out of the area and onto the shuttle. Pulling a body was impossible, so I grabbed and threw them to the edge of the screen. And lo and behold, all the bodies I had thrown start moving back towards me at pretty much walking speed. From 6+ tiles away from the nearest breach.
Please tell me what the benefit of this feature is, because I can't see it.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #110985

How has this not been hotfixed
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #110994

Basically anyone suffering any slow down (clothes, hunger, damage etc) will be forced to depressurize every room they try to walk into. Warden walking around in brig losing air in just the break room get a bit damaged so then I have to DEPRESSURIZE EVERY STILL PRESSURIZED ROOM IN THE BRIG to just move around! It didn't kill me but anyone who gets slowed in low pressure becomes a fucking harbinger of the vacuum why should I need to dick other over because of a dumb immersion change?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #111002

Scones wrote:How has this not been hotfixed
Because of
Aranclanos wrote:You tink space station get hald, so it becomes mole easy

You hate hugbolx and tink it fo babies, so commitels make tings halder and deadly

Ooooo but noooo now you hate DEADLY DEATHS. YOU ROVU HUGBOLX NOW.

WELL YOU DONTU KNOW WHATTU YOU RIKE!

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU WANT!!!!!?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #111005

The problem CORE problem isn't that spacewind is too strong, it is that it remains active WAY TOO LONG. Since pressure changes at a snails pace even with fastmos you can never really simulate that awesome holebreach that sucks everyone into space while instantly decompressing a room.

But changing this would require a rewrite of atmos, so the only sane thing is to make spacewind less stupidly powerful.

Let its power scale with the pressure difference a lot more, increase the minimum pressure difference needed for the wind to occur.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.