New Box Maint

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

New Box Maint

Post by Scones » #107633

It's kind of bad. I don't feel like it's contributed anything to a perfectly functional maintenance system, and instead tries to ape Metastation with blocked off areas and static loot spawns.

It also put a wall that blocked a through passage which allowed north Arrivals maint to be tied together.

Clearly there is a conflict of designs here - Box maint is efficent, but has enough corners and alcoves to support shady dealings. Meta maint is a direct expansion with micro departments and unique loot. Either redo maint entirely, or keep the styles separate. The overlap looks clumsy, aesthetically displeasing, and generally poorly put together.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: New Box Maint

Post by Scott » #107635

Honestly I preferred the previous version.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #107638

+1 to keeping styles separate. Box and Meta are very different maps that try to do different things. Both support antags in different ways.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #107748

I'm no cheerleader for metamaint but Box maint needed love in arrivals maint and engimaint. Since the current antag status quo is "Do everything off camera or you're fucked", having a robust maint is mandatory.

Having side-rooms and an abundance of closets is nice but at the end of the day you need to be able to create secret areas as a cultist/shadowling/ling as a necessity to survival and Box was limited in the respect. While arrivals maint could definitely use some some streamlining - Engimaint desperately needed some more complexity. If someone shouted "HELP ENGINEERING MAINT!" as sec I knew I could sweep the old Engimaint in under a minute without fail and if the perpetrator hadn't fled to space or elsewhere, he was as good as got.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #107787

I'd just like to say that I was specifically shouted at by lots of people that the original implementation "Was too straight and open, lots of corridors. This is box, not meta".

You can't have it both ways, either a winding maint with cut-off areas is Meta, or lots of long empty corridors is Meta.

Additionally, you seem to have missed the fact that making arrivals maint more complex and bigger was the original point of the PR. That's the thing about map PRs, sometimes they change things .
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #107832

On top of that, making Box and Meta use very different styles of maint means that the antag experience on each of them will be substantially different and probably not balanced with respect to each other. I've gotten shadowling twice on Meta and it was suffering.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #107946

Old box maint was super barebones shit. It was made MORE LIKE META and has been ever since.

The new maint bar is pretty neat, and very cozy.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #107960

I was kinda meh about the changes at first but i've actually watched people put bar maint to use and actually do some roleplay shit.

holy fuck

people are roleplaying on tgstation

10/10 addition
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #108019

Our new maint changes made by Ikarrus a while back were a very good thing overall, it turned out maintenance from a linear experience where antags were easily caught into a actual jumble of non-linear tunnels.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #108659

Twice in the past 24 hours someone has been spotted in NW Arrivals Maint. and they weren't instantly caught by the lynch mob looking for them. I've lost multiple targets myself chasing in NW maint (shit did they go toward EVA or straight upward?).

I think this is a good change.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #108951

Oldman Robustin wrote:Twice in the past 24 hours someone has been spotted in NW Arrivals Maint. and they weren't instantly caught by the lynch mob looking for them. I've lost multiple targets myself chasing in NW maint (shit did they go toward EVA or straight upward?).

I think this is a good change.
agreed, except for the wall posted in the OP and that bizarre mess of random walls underneath virology
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: