Less talk more action on Synthetics, aka FUCK THE AI thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Re: Less talk more action on Synthetics, aka FUCK THE AI thr

Post by firecage » #109420

Bottom post of the previous page:

>IB4 traitor ling items.

What would you guys think of a traitor item similar to the one ability that Lings gets, where they can camouflage themselves from the AI.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #109431

All this talk about doorjacking leads me to believe that the prevalence of airlocks and putting too much content behind ID access are the root causes of this perceived problem.
Mime: Depresso
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #109433

Put a 5 second delay on the AI bolting doors.

That way they can still bolt of important area's, but instantly bolting down traitors the moment they pop out of maint would be a lot harder.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #109438

If you're an antag and the AI is a problem, all I can say is git gud. I cannot recall a single instance in which the AI is the reason I failed. Either subvert it or make sure it's busy.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #109468

Luke Cox wrote:If you're an antag and the AI is a problem, all I can say is git gud. I cannot recall a single instance in which the AI is the reason I failed. Either subvert it or make sure it's busy.
Eh, my entire traitor strategy relies on subverting the AI now. Anything else I do fails unless I kill x/steal x and wait patiently for the round to end for dat greentext.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #109476

that's true. emag is standard traitor gear and a flash is easy to come by. a single 'magged cyborg is an easy dead AI, especially if it's a secborg.

subverting the AI is semi-trivial, but of course you have to buy a 14 TC module or be a researcher to print the freeform board, both of which are restrictive.

there was an idea to segment the AI's door control by introducing world structures that allowed it to interface with the devices under the control of the structures. such a system would actually fix all of the problems with AI, unfortunately it's probably very complicated to code and would probably require somebody with knowledge and dedication and time.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #109489

For how long have we been saying we'll do a 'week without AI' to see how that goes?

This seems like the perfect time to trial a week without the AI and see how it effects the game.

We can easily mothball the AI Satellite for a week and return it afterwards and then discuss the merits, if any, of us not having the AI anymore (outside of RnD).
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #109503

I think removing the AI is way too drastic a change. It serves a lot of utility purposes on the station and valid hunting is far from it's sole purpose. I think we should deal with the problem itself instead of ripping out huge parts of the round.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #109507

Remove AI for a week does not mean remove AI 5evah/delete from code etc.

It means lets have a week, or even a day or two, where the headmins change one setting (there is a setting that enables AI, don't need to touch the code at all), to clearly show what is and isn't an issue with the AI.
If all the antag issues with AI are still there, then hey, guess we're all just full of shit.
But if we see a difference, then based off that we can alter the AI/antags accordingly.

It's seriously not a big deal.
Cik

Post by Cik » #109513

i would be fine with it, but i've been made very gunshy about "just for a week guys" in the past 6 months.

how many horrific changes have been made under that moniker? is it all of them?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #109525

Literally none of them
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #109528

This isn't a code change. It's the admins changing a 1 to a 0 (or something) in the config.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #109559

I'm not against trying a no-AI week, but I think you'll find that it does fuck all to traitor effectiveness. 95% of the traitors I catch, I catch because somebody caught them in the act. The AI has a whole station to watch. Unless you're in a very public area with suit sensors on max, odds are the AI won't find out.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109626

Luke Cox wrote:If you're an antag and the AI is a problem, all I can say is git gud. I cannot recall a single instance in which the AI is the reason I failed. Either subvert it or make sure it's busy.
Even if you can work around the AI, you still have to, you know, work around the AI in the first place. It just existing influences the fuck out of the experience of being a traitor.

Also, I would be so down with an AI-free one week trial.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #109634

Wasn't there also a config option for mute silicons? That was fun when it was tested for a few days (during the original Badger, if I remember correctly), with cyborgs only able to communicate through buzzing and beeping and such. Not sure what the restrictions on AIs were.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #109647

I will honestly say this. If you guys have SUCH an issue with an AI when antag, then you guys are probably some of the worst antags ever who can't plan ahead and instead act on the moment.

Hell, this is my opinion. Buff the AI, and loosen the restrictions of security so they can properly bust heads. If you can't handle playing antag, then git gud.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #109649

remove AI NTSL access

also, disable roundstart AI when there are less than twenty people playing.

i like silicons and their laws, they're probably one of the most novel and fun ideas in spacemans, but sadly the omniscience of the AI causes a lot of issues.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #109659

Miauw wrote:remove AI NTSL access

also, disable roundstart AI when there are less than twenty people playing.

i like silicons and their laws, they're probably one of the most novel and fun ideas in spacemans, but sadly the omniscience of the AI causes a lot of issues.
not my *tsshk* over *tsshk*!

If the AI ever gets removed what would you say about having two round start borgs then?
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #109701

Luke Cox wrote:I'm not against trying a no-AI week, but I think you'll find that it does fuck all to traitor effectiveness. 95% of the traitors I catch, I catch because somebody caught them in the act. The AI has a whole station to watch. Unless you're in a very public area with suit sensors on max, odds are the AI won't find out.
firecage wrote:I will honestly say this. If you guys have SUCH an issue with an AI when antag, then you guys are probably some of the worst antags ever who can't plan ahead and instead act on the moment.

Hell, this is my opinion. Buff the AI, and loosen the restrictions of security so they can properly bust heads. If you can't handle playing antag, then git gud.

What game are you guys playing again?

The AI's ability to instantly jump to the location of any on-camera radio statement and use shortcuts to instantly bolts door is probably the single most influential change that has ever occurred in the history of SS13. I'm probably among the few who remember what it was like before that time, but the gist of it was that being on-camera didn't mean you were sheathed in a safety bubble of NO HARM. Someone could emag open your door and start chopping your face off and you couldn't just say HELP! on radio to 100% ensure that your killer was caught.

You had to yell some form of distress, accurately state your location (e.g. even saying HELP MEDBAY! wouldn't be enough for the AI to stop someone from dragging you into maint since it would have to manually jump over there and then scan the lobby/cryo/genetics/lobby/etc. before realizing that you were near virology and got dragged off), and then AI would report on common radio what it had seen and it would be up to security to actually apprehend you. Now just yell HELP! and watch in amazement as every door in the room shines red lights within seconds and your traitor is left contemplating why they didn't just disable that role in game settings. The need to instantly silence anyone you need to hurt/kidnap on-camera is 100% due to the current nature of AI.

Yes you can "git gud" and just either quickly kill everyone with plasma/sing/toxins, murder people instantly with a revolver, or just never leave maintenance and murder assistants and engineers for a living, but none of these are good places for the traitor/ling to be. The feeling I (and many others miss) is when you could antagonize on camera without an insanely high risk of being caught and trapped, and a more exciting interaction between traitor/lings and security... where taking one (traitor) down meant a crazy chase through a department, weapons firing back and forth, close-calls, and all sorts of trickery in eluding security. Instead of just HARM IN XENOBIOLOGY, bolt bolt... try breaking out through glass, science goes into lockdown, firelocks drop, all outer doors bolt, etc. Seeing an ambitious traitor get shut down by a handful of red lights is just not fun for the player, the observers, or security.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #109715

Oldman a lot of the stuff you say might be right but you're often assuming that the AI is some hyper-competent pro mlg AI player with a direct connection to the tgstation server.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #109730

imblyings wrote:Oldman a lot of the stuff you say might be right but you're often assuming that the AI is some hyper-competent pro mlg AI player with a direct connection to the tgstation server.
But only assumes these things because he has seen them be the case on a semi-regular basis. We all have, to some extent.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #109737

I won't argue that one I guess.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #109741

imblyings wrote:Oldman a lot of the stuff you say might be right but you're often assuming that the AI is some hyper-competent pro mlg AI player with a direct connection to the tgstation server.
This round that just finished had the following series of events:

1) HoS sees something odd below virology
2) Minerling grows armblade and runs at him
3) Idiot HoS too busy finishing a radio message to react to his face being mauled
4) HoS knocked down, he manages to show "HELP!" before crit.
5) Ling immediately starts stripping HoS
6) 2LATE, Harmyeller 9000 states, "He's in medbay maintenance"
7) It's traitorling so literally the entire crew had nothing better to do than swarm medbay maint.

Shit like this happens more often than not. It's also how little itty-bitty QOL changes for AI like crew monitor button instead of having to directly access the computer, that give the AI precious seconds in certain situations to catch bad guys. If AI had had to go to bridge and open the computer manually there's no way he would've seen the HOS suit sensors before he was stripped.

Yes it doesn't always happen, many AI wouldn't even think to check suit sensors, but when it does it's completely and indefensibly awful.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #109763

I know I was online for that one. I don't entirely agree with the suit sensor upgrade myself, having seen that viro have the balls that he did, he didn't deserve to be outed just like that.

I'd be ok with AI's being reverted back to something along the lines of a 2011-12 era AI where arguably it wasn't that easy to have that much of an impact but you still could given quick reactions and navigating of buttons and the map.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #109768

Didn't someone suggest that traitor PDAs could be slapped against a bolted airlock to unbolt it and disable AI control? Whatever happened to that? It would be an easy and quick way of defeating the "dreaded" bolted doors faster than the AI can bolt all the doors + disable Environmental power and preparing to stealthbolt ahead of time rarely happens unless you've been incredibly obvious and the AI has an entire station to watch. Even still, you can generally just go around the doors and I refuse to believe any competent traitor would ever make a move without at least a welder+wrench on their person.

Changelings really need a stealthy way to deal with doors as well, preferably emulating the same way the traitor option would above but that's simply a problem with lings in general. AI culture needs some work with many new players to the position not realising their job is more than valid-hunter v1.2. The job of an AI should be to prevent harm when it occurs and follow orders EXACTLY as specified, no bolting unless security tells you to for one.
A red message (like the one secborgs now receive) should be given to an AI at the start of the round telling them that they should not care about things that don't relate to their laws, such as theft of non-harmful objects, and that "Being a Syndicate Agent is considered a Capital Offence by NanoTraesn" which should be a *small* hint that maybe reporting the guy in a black-and-red space suit may cause harm.
It tends to be the newer AI players that are the problem I've found.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109793

it being built into the PDA wouldnt work because
Sec Officer Mister McShittles says, "AI bolt this door so we can slap it with this guy's PDA and find out if he's a traitor or not"
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #109808

Have to unlock the PDA first

Solves that issue.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #109825

PKPenguin321 wrote:it being built into the PDA wouldnt work because
Sec Officer Mister McShittles says, "AI bolt this door so we can slap it with this guy's PDA and find out if he's a traitor or not"
That's a workaround to the real problem, at best, and leaves all the other antag modes high and dry. I'd prefer a more general solution like nerfing or removing AI door bolting outright.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #109865

Removing AI bolting, period, would make the AI so vulnerable it wouldn't even be funny. And I did mention giving Lings a similar ability, hell I'd give it to them for free or make it cost one genome at most with no external sprite changes for the AI to see.
Nuke Ops don't need any help, they have so much going for them already and have C4 to deal with doors, it's their own fault if they didn't bring any. Wizards can say fuck you to doors, walls, the vacuum of space and death itself they're fine. Team/conversion antags? They have the advantage of numbers that bolting one guy down is meaningless in the long run. Shadowlings do their business in maintenance where the AI by default can't see and Abductors have teleportation. It's only Traitors and Changelings that really need help.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #109888

MisterPerson wrote:That's a workaround to the real problem, at best, and leaves all the other antag modes high and dry. I'd prefer a more general solution like nerfing or removing AI door bolting outright.
Other antag modes do not suffer the problem of the AI shutting down conflict to the same degree. Cults, revolutions, etc. all have the benefit of being able to all go loud at once, which quickly overwhelms the AI and makes it less of a factor.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #109931

Ling absolutely needs more terrain interaction. Even without AIs around they are just inferior without it.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #109970

I'm perplexed. The talk about 'let's remove the AI' scares me.
Disclaimer. I do not play traitor anymore, because I just can't antagonize - it'd be boring for everyone.
That said, that doesn't mean I haven't had to combat even the best of AIs. On the other hand, I play AI a lot too and know about the ways to lock somebody down.
I will try provide some insight and my impression of how powerful AIs really are (no offense, but I haven't seen lumi or oldman play AI in forever).
Short of a RCD to counter depowered bolted airlocks, the uplink (Fuck lings anyway) can provide you with all the tools you need to completely negate any power the AI has over you - excluding cyborgs. It all boils down to the fact, that all the AI can do is to try to bolt you down and yell over radio. That's it. It doesn't have bluespace artillery. The power the AI wields is a joke.

Spoilered because I know people get scared by letters:
Spoiler:
Preemptive hacking/emag solves the issue with airlocks. Hell, a dead rat will prevent an airlock from closing. And even without preparation, the only few dead end areas that you cannot get out of with a competent AI on your ass are places like virology and the vault - C4 could get you out. The rest of the station is designed in a way to allow easy escapes/breakins.

1tc C4 on r-wall + signaller on a wire on telecomms APC to depower it for 30 seconds solves the radio yelling. Okay, having to take down comms EVERY round is not feasible as a traitor. But the possibility is there and a lot of robust antag players opt for destroying communications in order to rob the AI of its strongest asset: coordinating security/the crew. The AI doesn't get you jailed, the officers/vigilantes do. Want do be more covert? Buy a syndie headset key/steal a sec key.

Cut cameras can fuck your day as an AI so hard, it's not even funny. You become entirely powerless short of a cyborg acting as a mobile camera.

The potency of the oh so omnipotent AI is not all that omni. I've had plenty of rounds as AI where all I could do is moan about how a meatbag has killed yet another crewmember, begging the crew to get safety. AIs need outside help to finish the job.
For me the problem does not lie with the AI. Traitors need more flexbility in the TC count (for on-demand agent cards, AI detector, toolbox, c4 etc.) and a few better tools to outmanoeuvre a competent AI as a not-so-robust traitor (i.e. door jack or maybe a tool that disables cameras in an area á la EMP shriek). Buffs like these would promote more skillful and resourceful players - nerfs to the AI would favour the players that haven't gotten good yet.
Or, when quality cannot be given, increase quantity - more antags.
The AI can be a big threat to antags and should be handled with caution like any member of security. Are threats bad? No. They make things exciting. The wrecking ball of nerfs needs to be stopped.
Oldman Robustin wrote: This round that just finished had the following series of events:
Shit like this happens more often than not. It's also how little itty-bitty QOL changes for AI like crew monitor button
Yes it doesn't always happen, many AI wouldn't even think to check suit sensors, but when it does it's completely and indefensibly awful.
MDs with their portable monitors could have passed on that information too. If anything, the fault lies with the suit sensors and them being too accurate.
I remember a time where coders were adamant about making suit sensor lists more readily available. Fluff-wise it was under the pretext of "privacy" - but the real deal was to not have somebody check life signs 24/7 and giving antags a chance to murder people. Crafty CMOs would move their console into the medbay lobby so bored MD's had something to do. Now everyone can have one of these life sign monitors. More often than not, it probably is a MD reacting to 'HELP' calls by using their portable murder pointer.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #109974

I have one minor idea, we could remove x-ray cameras.
Especially constructable ones, like one time I met a "good worker" who decided to spend the round installing them around maint, and even better, after I laid him to rest, I discovered that he had himself backed up at genetics. Well, whatever.
There aren't many x-ray cams, but their removal would establish that if you see a camera<=>the ai can see you.

Also, the AI tracking list should include only mobs that are wearing their ID. So no more "find the xeno hive instantly" or monkeys, which makes sense considering the ventcrawling change (it's effectively a nerf)

And no motion sensors in cams either.
And no HUD button for suit sensors. Back then, if an antag caused the consols to lose power or blow up, the AI couldn't look at sensors, but now there is no way to do this.
And no borg list on the status tab so antags can emag borgs without the AI noticing in 3 seconds.

I guess I got a bit carried away, but this is how I see the game balance.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #109984

leibniz wrote:I have one minor idea, we could remove x-ray cameras.
There only ever was one x-ray camera: in the dorms. It was removed ages ago.
Over the last year, I ran into maybe two or three individuals that bothered to install cameras in maint. Not a single x-ray though.
Usually this is done merely as a project for the sake of doing something and not to empower the AI.
leibniz wrote: Also, the AI tracking list should include only mobs that are wearing their ID. So no more "find the xeno hive instantly" or monkeys, which makes sense considering the ventcrawling change (it's effectively a nerf)
I like that. It would still expose the ones too lazy to disable cameras.
One could say ID cards come with a mini-locator.
leibniz wrote: And no HUD button for suit sensors. Back then, if an antag caused the consols to lose power or blow up, the AI couldn't look at sensors, but now there is no way to do this.
I'd be fine with nerfs like these, if it keeps the AI in the game. However, I still do not agree that the AI is the problem here. Gutting the AI feels like performing a brain transplant to fix somebody with a broken arm.
leibniz wrote: And no borg list on the status tab so antags can emag borgs without the AI noticing in 3 seconds.
Emagged cyborgs still show up in the status tab list - just not on the robotics console. AIs do not get any notification whatsoever when borgs are emagged or new, unlinked cyborgs are connected to the silicon network.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #109985

Actionb wrote:
leibniz wrote:I have one minor idea, we could remove x-ray cameras.
There only ever was one x-ray camera: in the dorms. It was removed ages ago.
Over the last year, I ran into maybe two or three individuals that bothered to install cameras in maint. Not a single x-ray though.
Usually this is done merely as a project for the sake of doing something and not to empower the AI.
Yeah, I guess this is not an issue most of the time.
Actionb wrote:
leibniz wrote: And no borg list on the status tab so antags can emag borgs without the AI noticing in 3 seconds.
Emagged cyborgs still show up in the status tab list - just not on the robotics console. AIs do not get any notification whatsoever when borgs are emagged or new, unlinked cyborgs are connected to the silicon network.
I see, I assumed that the status tab only lists slaved borgs.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #109997

i SAID that the new crew monitor would be too powerful, but it would obviously change nothing right

also how is an omniscient ai that can be anywhere on the station within 3 seconds (i tried to nerf it but WHAT IF AI IS NOT INSTANT DEATH FOR ALL ANTAGS ANYOMRE) not the problem.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #110002

I feel like a lot of these arguments are sailing past each other like ships in the night.

I'm not saying that AI is impossible to get around. Yes traitors have tools that let them mitigate the AI's impact and there are players who have managed to do great deeds of antagonism despite the AI's best efforts. The argument isn't that traitors cannot do anything due to AI, but rather on AVERAGE the AVERAGE traitor is rendered impotent/uninteresting/docile by the effects of the synthetic god we've created. That leaves the AVERAGE traitorling round to become completely dependent on either exceptionally robust traitors or exceptionally unrobust AI/security in order to produce the kind of conflict that keeps players playing this game (it's fun to watch for the dead, and keeps you on your toes when you're living).

It's the same reason that parasting removal was so crippling to lings. To the robust player it was an aggravation at worst, stunprod+mutesting+cablecuffs had a few more downsides (gives opponents a chance to run, much shorter stun, louder, takes longer to get your victim portable) but the effect for robust players was still the same.... stun + silence = win. Yet lings were soon as their worst because the average ling player doesn't even know how to make a stun prod, or where you can easily find high-cap power cells, or have the experience to quickly equip and apply cablecuffs during an abduction, etc... etc...

Same story here. I can still get around AI's, but it kills the fun of a traitor round for me when I have to invest 90% of my time and energy into avoiding AI detection while always facing the risk that sheer dumb luck will let the AI fuck me over anyway (the story that prompted this was one of those moments, AI was just scrollin by...). So between it just becoming a chore for robust antags, and a flat out round-killer for less experienced ones, the quality of traitor rounds has plummeted accordingly.

I enjoy fighting security as a traitor. As security I enjoy fighting traitors. As both I do not enjoy having door bolts decide the outcome of every fight for me. Vote Doorjack 2015.
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #110011

Miauw wrote:i SAID that the new crew monitor would be too powerful, but it would obviously change nothing right
Any observant player using the sensors could ruin an antag, it's not exclusive to the AI. The auto-refresh simplified matters, but you could emulate that by just repeatedly clicking the console with the old sensors list.
Miauw wrote: also how is an omniscient ai that can be anywhere on the station within 3 seconds (i tried to nerf it but WHAT IF AI IS NOT INSTANT DEATH FOR ALL ANTAGS ANYOMRE) not the problem.
How come it suddenly is a problem? It's been like this for ages. I've written over and over again how you can defeat an AI. A combination of QoL features can't possibly explain how, supposedly, traitors suddenly get owned in droves by a bolted airlock.
The argument isn't that traitors cannot do anything due to AI, but rather on AVERAGE the AVERAGE traitor is rendered impotent/uninteresting/docile by the effects of the synthetic god we've created.
An AI sees way less than you think it does. The AI can only be in one place at a time.
Traitors being boring, coy and not willing to risk anything does not have to be connected to the AI - you get the same shit on low pop with no AI. It's a problem with the players themselves being too careful and/or there being too few antagonists. As an example: I remember a DA round a few days ago where every antag just went balls to the wall postal. I was the AI and there was nothing I could do to stop all this violence.
Getting caught is just part of the game and the game offers you tools to avoid detection and escape detainment scenarios. People take their ingame life way too seriously, at times.

It just irks me that a deficiency in player culture (boring antagonists) or a lack of traitor versatility is blamed on the AI (reminder: the thread reads FUCK THE AI). Knowing this community, such complaints could easily lead to some kneejerk nerfs to the AI. There was also serious talk about removing the AI - this will impact a huge amount of other content of the game, from Ai subversions, to MALF being ogre and possibly ultimately to the replacement of cyborgs with drones (now it's all between you and other humans!).
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #110021

I'm note sure that after months of intense, constant discussion and deliberation that you could describe any change made to the AI as "knee-jerk"

Let's not forget that, far from "all the AI can do is bolt you down and yell", the AI can bolt you down and dispatch a nannybot to come fuck you up, it can direct every secutron on the station to wait outside the door when you start hacking it, and it can instantly and undetectably report you to security.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cik

Post by Cik » #110024

most of those things are nominally against asimov anyway

>giving some asshole hacking some door you don't care about to security so they can maybe find a camera bug in his pocket and kill him over it

yeahhhhhhhh no
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #110026

A lot of AIs do need to realize that Asimov is not Validmov9000. Enforcement of that would help.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #110029

Why can't we have one of those radio jammer things from goon? Like the same size as a charm pojecter you keep in your pocket and disables all radio/pda devices in a 5-6 tile radius?
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #110042

Cik wrote:most of those things are nominally against asimov anyway

>giving some asshole hacking some door you don't care about to security so they can maybe find a camera bug in his pocket and kill him over it

yeahhhhhhhh no
Hi there friend, it seems you're new here. Why don't you sit down and play a few rounds before making those kinds of comments.

Seriously though, do you play here?

Whether you like it or not every AI here will see syndicate gear on a person, know that syndicate are harmful, and do the whole bolt & yell routine.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #110043

TheWiznard wrote:Why can't we have one of those radio jammer things from goon? Like the same size as a charm pojecter you keep in your pocket and disables all radio/pda devices in a 5-6 tile radius?
Abductors have this, and generally have little fear of the AI, as lockdowns do nothing to stop teleporters, the agent can silence the radio, so he would have to be unlucky, with the AI already watching him pull out his alien baton. Even then, they can just teleport out and swap disguises. Heck, if the AI DID become a problem, they can just abduct the AI!

If you really seek to baby traitors this much, despite them having access to an EMP grenade that gives them 90 seconds of stealth and radio silence when used corretly, you could simply give them a resprited abductor's radio jammer. If they still somehow get caught after that, they are just unlucky or unskilled.
Cik

Post by Cik » #110044

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Cik wrote:most of those things are nominally against asimov anyway

yeahhhhhhhh no
Hi there friend, it seems you're new here. Why don't you sit down and play a few rounds before making those kinds of comments.

Seriously though, do you play here?

Whether you like it or not every AI here will see syndicate gear on a person, know that syndicate are harmful, and do the whole bolt & yell routine.
hello friend, yes i do play here,

#notallAIs

by the way not all syndicate are harmful either. honestly if the valid was stepped on a little harder most of that would go away. remember when EVA was roundstart bolted? admins leaned on it a little and poof

half of all syndicate objectives are pretty benign. as long as they aren't shooting people in the hallways i conceal their existence as a matter of course which makes more sense under asimov than handing them to security, who are generally at least 50% composed of jackbooted thugs with a bloodthirst.

edit: and then even if they have a gun i think i trust security less. yay, redtide with a revolver or energy sword

great
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #110046

But i think a big part of the issue is that we do not want benign quiet get-my-objective-and-do-nothing traitors, that shit is fucking boring.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #110047

Have you tried making your own fun?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #110053

Rather than removing one of the most unique roles in the game I'd rather try a week or two of traitorsec again.

I understand security needs to trust each other and work as a team in modes like nuke, rev, gang, etc, but traitor should be all about backstabbing and paranoia, not about the validhunting team vs the woefully underequipped spies.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #110055

no no no no no no no no no no no
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Cik

Post by Cik » #110058

Wyzack wrote:But i think a big part of the issue is that we do not want benign quiet get-my-objective-and-do-nothing traitors, that shit is fucking boring.
if you want to make it easier for traitors to work violently there are two easy solutions really

1. give more TC so stealth items come back into use. as it is chameleon projectors, jumpsuits, agent IDs never see use because you can't really get a weapon, an emag and them

2. increase traitor ratio so AI has to work harder to cover everywhere

3. cut cameras dummy
Cik

Post by Cik » #110059

Kor wrote:Rather than removing one of the most unique roles in the game I'd rather try a week or two of traitorsec again.

I understand security needs to trust each other and work as a team in modes like nuke, rev, gang, etc, but traitor should be all about backstabbing and paranoia, not about the validhunting team vs the woefully underequipped spies.
this was really never a good idea. it will just encourage greytide and related shenanigans; even when you can (mostly) implicitly trust sec not to kill you it's here now. imagine in the future when any secling/sectator can easily grab people off the street and just kill them in maint. once you bring that back it will be bedlam every round. sec is completely helpless against an internal threat because everything they do relies implicitly on trust. furthermore every nonsec will be kill first ask questions never as any arrest could be a murder in progress.

at that point what's even the point of sec? might as well just do americastation and hand out guns to assistants to enforce their own law. that's basically what traitorsec quickly becomes.