Dominator Wallspam

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Dominator Wallspam

Post by Bombadil » #111388

How the fuck do we counter this? Maybe if walls get built around it just explodes?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Dominator Wallspam

Post by Gun Hog » #111389

Xray guns, RCD, Explosives, creative teleportation.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #111390

I'll take "What is an RCD?" for 1,000 Alex.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #111391

this wouldn't be nearly a tenth of the issue that it is if we didn't have shittily balanced RCDs
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #111392

its kind of bullshit but honestly just bring a toolbox

i rarely see more than a single layer
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #111397

Dominators don't move, so just RCD them back.
Mime: Depresso
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #111406

invisty wrote:Dominators don't move, so just RCD them back.
If your gang loots engineering (and gets all three RCD's), you can shit out like, 150 walls. Good luck to the poor sods that have to find an empty RCD, get enough materials to bore a hole through the mountain of metal to get to the dominator.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #111409

Fair point, but an attacking RCD is much more effective because you're only destroying a one-tile path to the target, wheras the defender has to wall off all approaches which becomes exceedingly costly lest they leave weak spots (which will be shown by mesons).

From what I've seen, though, most defenders do keep the dominator accessible from some direction.
Mime: Depresso
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #111413

The RCD is the problem.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #111416

RCD spam is a problem and will become more of a problem once it percolates into the meta, it hasn't hit the mainstream yet, just like it took a while for thrown beakers and bottles to become commonplace.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #111418

This is an issue with RCDs, not dominators. You will only fix it satisfactorily by making RCDs less efficient and effective, not by making dominators do horribly unintuitive things (like explode when armoured).
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #111469

a high end computer encryption breaking device: produces no heat and dose not stop functioning if sealed with no airflow. totally intuitive mate.
kind of shit for the magority of the crew who dont have engie gear. remove rcd.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #111472

remove RCD, make construction not-shit enough so that we dont need it in the first place
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #111504

And then, the RCDs wept tears of impotence, as the RPDs covered the station in chutes.
Dominator fights are the best part about gang - stop ruining it with hyperautism levels of obstructions. Some wall/locker based cover is fine, but don't carpet an entire department with disposals machinery to win that 900 byond seconds duration dominator.
Maybe admins should step in at some point to remind the player that they are abusing/exploiting a game mechanic... or make the timer stop advancing when the dominator is surrounded by dense objects.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #111515

even with RCD construction is very slow. a single maxcap takes a dedicated team of three people like 15~ minutes to fix. i don't know what you would do to make it any faster, there's 4 layers you need to repair for fuck sake.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #111520

I wouldn't blame the admins if they spawned in a few RCD's if some autist did that.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #111558

RCD is the chemo and the cancer of wallspam.

On one hand it is more effective at REMOVING wallspam than adding it. I would much rather go after a 50-wall barrier with an RCD than an 8-wall barrier with nothing but a welder and wrench.

Also overdoing the wallspam is often counterproductive. You need clean lines of sight around the dominator precisely so that you can see if someone is RCD'ing their way to the middle, put up too many walls and you won't even know when your dominator is compromised.

Aside from RCD's being too cheap to use right now, and a little too fast, I think we should leave things in there current state and see how the meta evolves.

@Cik

Are we even playing the same game?

Fixing the actual maxcap hullbreach with an RCD takes about 15 seconds, the floor replacement is instant. After that replacing walls might take another 30 seconds. Add a couple minutes at most for replacing wires and possibly an APC. Beyond that you're just talking about fluff stuff like floor tiles, lighting, vents, windows, etc... that makes almost no difference in the utility of an area and have nothing to do with RCD balance.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #111781

Oldman Robustin wrote:RCD is the chemo and the cancer of wallspam.

On one hand it is more effective at REMOVING wallspam than adding it. I would much rather go after a 50-wall barrier with an RCD than an 8-wall barrier with nothing but a welder and wrench.

Also overdoing the wallspam is often counterproductive. You need clean lines of sight around the dominator precisely so that you can see if someone is RCD'ing their way to the middle, put up too many walls and you won't even know when your dominator is compromised.

Aside from RCD's being too cheap to use right now, and a little too fast, I think we should leave things in there current state and see how the meta evolves.

@Cik

Are we even playing the same game?

Fixing the actual maxcap hullbreach with an RCD takes about 15 seconds, the floor replacement is instant. After that replacing walls might take another 30 seconds. Add a couple minutes at most for replacing wires and possibly an APC. Beyond that you're just talking about fluff stuff like floor tiles, lighting, vents, windows, etc... that makes almost no difference in the utility of an area and have nothing to do with RCD balance.

While Oldman is being a bit hyperbolic, he has a point. A fully-charged RCD will fix the floor breach in about a minute, at which point you put it in your bag and pull out the infinite RPED, shoop pipe lines in, then RCD again and slam down the walls, and finish off by slamming down some vents and calling it a day. Any engineers who arrived late to the party can do floor tiles and doors.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #111805

RCD is fine, it's easy enough to counter.

RPD is the tool of shitters.
Fucking chute spam.

Chutes wouldn't be so bad if they were easy decons but they take longer than walls and odds are if the gang has one of the RPDs they have them all

Sure, you can drag them but that becomes a massive undertaking because you're wasting time moving
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #111809

I can't believe I am saying this... but use hulk.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #111810

Takeguru wrote:RCD is fine, it's easy enough to counter.

Fucking chute spam.

Chutes wouldn't be so bad if they were easy decons but they take longer than walls and odds are if the gang has one of the RPDs they have them all

Sure, you can drag them but that becomes a massive undertaking because you're wasting time moving
Yeah, chute spam is a fucking pain in the ass to deal with unless you have a RPD to get rid of them. They really shouldn't block movement and projectiles unless they're bolted down.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #111817

Akkryls wrote:
Takeguru wrote:RCD is fine, it's easy enough to counter.

Fucking chute spam.

Yeah, chute spam is a fucking pain in the ass to deal with unless you have a RPD to get rid of them. They really shouldn't block movement and projectiles unless they're bolted down.
As an RPD spammer, yes, they should be able to shoot through. Or failing that, when not wrenched down you can screwdriver to decon. I actually didn't know till recently only another RPD can decon chutes. It is really bullshit not just for gang but also for a Malf AI and that's why I abuse it sometimes because playing to win ayyy lamo.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #113312

Hulk, thermite, welder/wrench, another RCD.

Also, you can require the domintor to be "restarted" a couple times during the countdown by having one or two random "stalls" so a path needs to be kept to the domintor.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #113346

rdght91 wrote:Hulk, thermite, welder/wrench, another RCD.

Also, you can require the domintor to be "restarted" a couple times during the countdown by having one or two random "stalls" so a path needs to be kept to the domintor.

+1 on the stalling. This is how a lot of games balance defend objectives so that players can't just either camp in a corner or completely block it off.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #113349

So the gangsters are gonna wall themselves in from the inside, huddling around the dom.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #113351

DemonFiren wrote:So the gangsters are gonna wall themselves in from the inside, huddling around the dom.
Wider area to wall off, easier to breech and notice them walling it off in the first place.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #113353

DemonFiren wrote:So the gangsters are gonna wall themselves in from the inside, huddling around the dom.
That's the thing, if they all huddle around it on the outside and have one dude sitting in there waiting to reactivate the dominator in a 1 tile space (to give everyone outside more room) it'll mean that's one less gangster who is probably armed sitting there doing nothing. Another change that should happen imo is that dominators need an active power grid under them to be activated, but once activated stay activated to prevent memeing by turning off the power in the room. This would fix cancerous toxins test satelite dominators walled into infinity, though would still possible with a PACMAN.

Or just make the dominator not be able to get a signal out when walled in from all sides. That would probably fix it, or the stalling thing, stalling definitely needs to happen, it's a fantastic idea.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #113362

rdght91 wrote:
Wider area to wall off, easier to breech and notice them walling it off in the first place.
Lie down, let the boss spawn the dom on top of you, stand up.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #113364

DemonFiren wrote:
rdght91 wrote:
Lie down, let the boss spawn the dom on top of you, stand up.
But if someone breaks in you can't fight back, I think it would hit the dominator.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #113367

Think of it this way.
They cannot hit you with ranged weapons, because the dominator is in the way.
You on the other hand, can move at anytime, and immediatelly shoot them.

Also wall spam is extremely powergamey and unfun.

Whn the best counter to something is the same item, it's a fucking problem.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #113381

We can keep this if you make tool based deconstructions fast enough to actually deal with walls everywhere.

Shutes should be able to be moved right? I am sure I have moved shutes before.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #113390

Chutes can be moved, but they don't stack on top of each other so you run out of space to put them quick, like for instance if some assholes decided to fill medbay with chutes.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #113492

conclusion: chutes should be de-constructable with tools.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.