Blob should start different

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Blob should start different

Post by Supermichael777 » #111491

You get three kinds of blob rounds. one where the blob bursts in the middle of a hall and gets wrecked to much shouting of NOOB. one where the crew utterly fails to out meta game the blob and doesn't find it until its the size of maintenance, and one where the blob gets totally metaed/stumbled on by Looter Mcgreyshirt and killed before the announcement. it makes for boring samey game-mode with a tight meta and almost zero actual skill other than mass coordination/ a general apathy.

I feel this stems partially from how it starts. blobs come onto the station via a crew member bursting somewhere in maint(it is always maintenance unless they are literally the viro). blobs need accesses to where they want to burst and needs to use its initial surprise stack to cripple the station without getting instantly killed and ensure it wont get x-rayed or telebombed. Inevitably this means science blob which is crappy because after bursting there is exactly 1 optimal strategy for the location of south east maintenance you picked(ALWAYS THE SAME). Blobs who cant do this get fucked over by it and blobs who can just do. The solutions to this are discouraging bombing the blob(buffing blobs bomb resistance globally would help.) and cutting xray becuse it is literally anti blob and useless otherwise. the other is that their needs to be better blob incentives for bursting elsewhere. Maybe bursting in tcoms would prevent the announcement or eating the food out of kitchen would let you grow faster.

Another change to help accommodate this would be to allow blob to begin from a ghost eye rather than a body(because the burst mechanic has never done anything but screw over low asses blobs and give the crew a specific time to go wandering around maintenance)
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Blob should start different

Post by Vekter » #111499

Xray is pretty much the only reliable way to kill a blob without bombs or luck.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #111501

High potency death nettle does the trick.
So do emitters with good upgrades, for rapid fire pew pew.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #111522

Are nova flowers more effective than death nettles?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #111530

Flashbangs can work just need to get the dummies to listen for once. Fire team used to be fun but with EVERYONE BURNS FIRE MUST KILL EVERYONE update is no longer a thing. Drat pve wowcoders.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #111532

I wonder, do hellfoam grenades do anything to blobs?

Dammit, too many questions.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #111551

Incomptinence wrote:Flashbangs can work just need to get the dummies to listen for once. Fire team used to be fun but with EVERYONE BURNS FIRE MUST KILL EVERYONE update is no longer a thing. Drat pve wowcoders.
Who the fuck nerfed THE FIRE RISES? that plus an emitter or two and insta wrecked blob every time
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #111560

Vekter wrote:Xray is pretty much the only reliable way to kill a blob without bombs or luck.
That's a super overgeneralized statement.

Crew numbers largely decide the blobs fate. If you're just short of the two-blob threshold and you've got a weak chem, even good placement will not be enough to save you. Throw enough welder zerglings at a blob and it will be contained until sec brings up the chargers or engineering brings up the emitters and whittles you down since you never really have an "ace in the hole" as a blob.

Anyway, nothing will ever stop one-man antags from being terrible aside from putting in stricter requirement. There's also really no such thing as "finding a blob too late" as long as people make an effort after the Confidential message/Level 5 biohazard go out. Two cans of plasma can easily prevent any blob growth for several minutes, security just emptying both of their flashbang boxes will take out an entire cluster that took the blob 5+ minutes to build, and a competent team of medics/welders can also keep the blob contained until better weaponry shows up.

Likewise, there's a lot you can do to prevent from being discovered early as a bleb. You can get access to metal/plasteel/RCD within 30 seconds of roundstart with any role. Then get your butt to maint, even if it means having the AI open it for you, and then quickly wall off all the corridors that might be used to find out. Looter McGreyshirt will almost never bother with trying to weld down a mysterious wall and even if they do they won't get past them all until you're big enough to withstand being discovered.

The only things I think deserve immediate attention on bleb are:

1) Bombs are just a tad too effective, if a scientiest can chain together 3 maxcaps near a core then they probably deserve to win, but right now one scientist can have bombs ready within 2-3 minutes and just toss a bomb near your core on the side you haven't expanded on yet and win. Make bombs similar to what they were before the maxcap buff, a desperation tactic that can kill the blob if it is very well executed.

2) Splitting just seems too strong. You can easily split before even being discovered and if you're already near the lower-end of the relevant population threshold (lowpop 1 blob and medpop 2 blobs) then you get way too strong way too fast for the crew to contain. I mean we require dozens of additional crew to justify moving from 1 blob to 2 blobs, but somehow saving 100 chems right off the bat to double your bleb is balanced?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #111669

With how much the new maxcaps dominate blob the crew could deal with 6 sets of split blobs close together.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #111688

You shoupd know that one really bad aspect is that the blob nodes control how fast factories and other stuff for the blob works making you have to think more about placement rather than deal with the actual crew breaking down your defences. That is not right and just makes busywork for no reason.
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #111710

AFAIK the timer for blob is wonky at the moment. For some reason there's no countdown timer for it like there is for literally everything else, resulting in blebs popping in hallways or having to be overcautious. Oldman made a very good point about blob victory being very tied to the population threshold. There could be a sliding bonus for blobs that would depend on crew number that would readjust when over a threshold. What I mean is that a single blob would get more energy right from the start if the round is 1 crewmember away from 2 blebs, but that the energy bonus would be back to 0 if the game starts with 2 blebs exactly with the amount of crewmember it requires to have 2 blebs.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #111721

Jalleo wrote:You shoupd know that one really bad aspect is that the blob nodes control how fast factories and other stuff for the blob works making you have to think more about placement rather than deal with the actual crew breaking down your defences. That is not right and just makes busywork for no reason.
It's pretty straight forward though.

Factories and resource nodes need to be close to your core or a node to work.
The closer the better - too far, and they don't work.

this translates to: put your factores and resource nodes adjacent to your core and nodes always.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #111743

That simple fact catches half the blobs I see off guard I mean the number of dead expansions with no node and a bunch of inactive resources and factories is staggering.

One split blob actually asked his partner and fucking learned fast one round I watched. Once these very simple basics were learned they fought ferociously as blob bros holding back xrays through tactics and sloppy crew work. Sadly after over an hour of intense fighting having xray scrubs mindlessly cook each other in spore fights someone remembered toxins existed and that was the end of that. Only way I can imagine to counter a competent non floor plopping (delete valve by expanding) suicide bomber is to have enough storage blobs and station control to relocate core at any time and that is just a solution to a single bomb which a core can survive but leaves them totally naked their inner resources annihilated and a gap in walls almost a department wide leading to the core.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #111759

When you are a blob you literally get this bunch of text that very clearly explains, in no uncertain terms everything you need to know about blob mechanics.

People of course don't read it, and proceed to place factory blobs in the middle of no where and job hard.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #111815

Incomptinence wrote:That simple fact catches half the blobs I see off guard I mean the number of dead expansions with no node and a bunch of inactive resources and factories is staggering.

One split blob actually asked his partner and fucking learned fast one round I watched. Once these very simple basics were learned they fought ferociously as blob bros holding back xrays through tactics and sloppy crew work. Sadly after over an hour of intense fighting having xray scrubs mindlessly cook each other in spore fights someone remembered toxins existed and that was the end of that. Only way I can imagine to counter a competent non floor plopping (delete valve by expanding) suicide bomber is to have enough storage blobs and station control to relocate core at any time and that is just a solution to a single bomb which a core can survive but leaves them totally naked their inner resources annihilated and a gap in walls almost a department wide leading to the core.
If this is the blob fight I remember that was mainly based around the maintenance above primary tool storage (until it spread out from there), there were a bunch of people struggling to put together toxins and the equipment to use those bombs properly for about 30 minutes.

It definitely wasn't someone going "oh yeah, bombs are a thing" and ending the round. There was a lot of planning, a lot of waiting around, and a fair bit of outright failure in the lab before that went on. It was a decent end to a long round.
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #112228

Honestly, I kind of wished blob was reworked into, say, a traitor implant. It would cost a ton of TC, but you could either use it to give a victim a cruel, yet potentially entertaining death, create a distraction while you carry out your plans, or use it on yourself if you need to fulfill the "die a glorious death" objective.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #112587

Danowar wrote:Honestly, I kind of wished blob was reworked into, say, a traitor implant. It would cost a ton of TC, but you could either use it to give a victim a cruel, yet potentially entertaining death, create a distraction while you carry out your plans, or use it on yourself if you need to fulfill the "die a glorious death" objective.
i like that you've effectively removed blob as a gamemode, but i also dont like the thought of traitor rounds having 500 blobs
this is a horrible idea
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #112603

>giving people an antag button for their friends.
Noooo thanks.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #112605

Saegrimr wrote:>giving people an antag button for their friends.
Noooo thanks.
But we already have Rev/Gangs/Cult/summon guns to make innocent crewmembers into antags. Adding one more option to the pile couldn't hurt any.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #112625

CosmicScientist wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Danowar wrote:Honestly, I kind of wished blob was reworked into, say, a traitor implant. It would cost a ton of TC, but you could either use it to give a victim a cruel, yet potentially entertaining death, create a distraction while you carry out your plans, or use it on yourself if you need to fulfill the "die a glorious death" objective.
i like that you've effectively removed blob as a gamemode, but i also dont like the thought of traitor rounds having 500 blobs
this is a horrible idea
It'd be great. Your target can't clone themself and when they pop you'll likely be right behind them to finish the job so you can escape... or you'll get screwed over/they'll shout in comms.
think for a moment about what happened with macrobombs

do you really think traitors will use it that way
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #112631

The way I think it will be used is TWELVE BLOB ROUNDS EVERY TIME WE ROLL DA WITH MAYBE ONE OF THE GUYS ACTUALLY TRYING TO DO HIS OBJECTIVE.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #112695

newfren wrote:The way I think it will be used is TWELVE BLOB ROUNDS EVERY TIME WE ROLL DA WITH MAYBE ONE OF THE GUYS ACTUALLY TRYING TO DO HIS OBJECTIVE.
Granted this would probably be fucking hilarious at first, but ultimately it would be macrobomb syndrome. It would get old fast, and take the coder responsible a week or two to erase it from the game.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS