Making patches not work on corpses

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Making patches not work on corpses

Post by Miauw » #112056

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11182

much-needed change imo, death is literally meaningless right now. if your body is found you're back on your feet in aproximately two femtoseconds. now if traitors want people to stay down a little while longer they have a way to do that.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Making patches not work on corpses

Post by onleavedontatme » #112087

Please buff cloning a bit to compensate. With how slow basic cloning is+the massive brain damage+the need to feast after cryo it takes less time to call the shuttle than to revive more than one or two people.

Whoever added cloning "upgrades" couldn't think of how to make it better so they just ruined the normal machine instead.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #112099

Kor wrote:Please buff cloning a bit to compensate. With how slow basic cloning is+the massive brain damage+the need to feast after cryo it takes less time to call the shuttle than to revive more than one or two people.

Whoever added cloning "upgrades" couldn't think of how to make it better so they just ruined the normal machine instead.
I'm fairly sure cloning was ALWAYS this slow, and we didn't even have defibs until less than a year ago. There was a long stretch of time when cloning upgrades weren't even a thing even, and it was honestly better for it. Even if base cloning time was extended a bit, there's less of a line since most people just get defibbed, so it's a null factor.

Death SHOULD have consequences. It's really fucking dumb to arduously and carefully kill 10~ people, yet the moment someone discovers the corpses they all resurrect in seconds in medbay from defibbing, or in a minute with no genetic damage in an upgraded cloner. I'm of the opinion that death should be roughly as easy to correct as it is to inflict for an antag, sans discovery time and risks the antag must take accounted for. As-is, that balance has leaned wayyyy far toward the crew/security since defibs were added.

A+ change. Merge it now.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #112304

Amelius wrote:
Kor wrote:Please buff cloning a bit to compensate. With how slow basic cloning is+the massive brain damage+the need to feast after cryo it takes less time to call the shuttle than to revive more than one or two people.

I'm fairly sure cloning was ALWAYS this slow, and we didn't even have defibs until less than a year ago. There was a long stretch of time when cloning upgrades weren't even a thing even, and it was honestly better for it. Even if base cloning time was extended a bit, there's less of a line since most people just get defibbed, so it's a null factor.
Can we get some code-based truth about this? Was cloning time slowed down or not?
As it is right now, you are in the pod for at least 4 minutes and when you're done, you're <20% health - meaning you need another minute or two in cryo.
It certainly feels slower than before.
Actually, just getting them out of the cloning pod and into cryo ASAP is considerably faster which is a bit silly: you remove the patient out of the machine specifically designed for cloning to put them into a universal healing tube.

I fully endorse the patches change. Revival has become way too cheap.
I mean, you go from being dead to healthy in like 10 seconds with atropine and some healing alone.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #112308

A lot of good points here, but I'm worried about blob rounds.
People are gonna be a lot less interested in throwing themselves at it if it means they are done for the round most likely waiting near a stack of other bodies.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #112316

To be honest, nine out of every ten blob rounds in my experience get memed on by maxcaps, so that would be a moot point.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #112317

Over exaggerating.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #112332

you can still get defibbed if your damage isn't over 180, though.

i may have to figure out timeofdeath-based cloning (20% difference either way), but i can't really wrap my head around the formula to make that work (it's probably pretty simple but aaaa)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #112428

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... 2131/files

Just search code/game/machinery/cloning.dm for the relevant file. Goofball made some changes since but i dont think it changed much at all apart from adding a extra level.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #112469

Wouldn't really affect blob since it can't keep attacking dead people to deal enough damage to stop them being defibed anyway. In fact regeneration diseases + chem negating symptom lead to one guy who went braindead when the blob swallowed him popping up alive inside it and just sitting there for the rest of the round, not sure many of the chems can get as heavily countered as lung destroyer though which is gone and was the flavour at that time.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #112501

Incomptinence wrote:Wouldn't really affect blob since it can't keep attacking dead people to deal enough damage to stop them being defibed anyway. In fact regeneration diseases + chem negating symptom lead to one guy who went braindead when the blob swallowed him popping up alive inside it and just sitting there for the rest of the round, not sure many of the chems can get as heavily countered as lung destroyer though which is gone and was the flavour at that time.
Realistically the round is gonna be too far gone for one side for the viro to really be able to get regen and stim viruses.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #112607

If you get a stalematey blob round where there's actually some back and forth then a good viro should be able to churn out some basic regen/stim diseases by the midgame of the blob fight.