Space Wind, Fastmos, ZASlite, whatever feedback.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Boogeyman
Byond Username: Kingofcarrotflowerspt1

Space Wind, Fastmos, ZASlite, whatever feedback.

Post by Boogeyman » #113228

After getting fucked over quite a good amount of times by "space wind" and sending over 10,000 admin helps in frustration as a result, I feel like I am obligated to make this thread. I remember being told that it is NOT an intended feature and upon inquring, KorPhareon assured me that he would personally fix the bug if nobody else would. A bit of time has passed and nothing has happened, so here I am.

The biggest issue I have with space wind is its unpredictability. Whenever I encounter "space wind" it seems like there is no consistency in its appearance or its behavior; almost as if it acts completely randomly. I'll use a real example: It's nearing the end of a typical 6 bomb singuloose round and the station is completely devastated. I'm a changeling, and have yet to murder and assume the identity of the detective. He's not in the shuttle or at the escape area so I decide to head to the Security pods. I start to head to Security passing by the Bar/Medbay hallway, which was caught in between the blasts of two parallel bombs. While heading north, all of a sudden, my character stops moving and moves one tile south. Because my finger is holding down the up arrow key, my character immediately afterwards tries to move north again, but is forced down south one tile, this repeats. After 10 seconds of this back of forth of up and down, up and down, I decide to try to move a tile to the right. This seems to fix the problem, and I am able to move north again. About 3 tiles north, I run into the same problem, and am forced to move left to fix it. This kills about... 45 seconds on an already tight timer and I fail to make it to the pods, and were I not a changeling with fleshmend I would have died without a suit.

In that sort of situation, there is no real way for me to know which tiles are the "safe" tiles and which tiles are the "cursed" tiles. I tried to find some sort of common characteristic linking the two zones, but found none. It doesn't seem to matter if the tile you are on is exposed to space, damaged, unfinished, or functional.The state of the surrounding tiles doesn't seem to matter as this issue persists in all manner of places, such as the Derelict and ground zero of a bomb. I imagine it could possibly have something to do with the magical pressure value that is functionally invisible (you never expect space wind, and you'd have to check the air alarms in all the rooms you enter to expect it) to anyone who would ever be in a situation where it is relevant. Not only is there no real way for me to know where it will occur, there is no real way to know the severity of it. Sometimes, if you simply hold the arrow in the same direction long enough you "push through". Other times this is impossible and you just end up wasting 30 seconds of your time, often times taking severe damage or dying as a result.

I have noticed that there is one thing that effects how your character deals with space wind, and that is run speed. This server has such an ABYSMAL movement speed, honestly and the space wind problem exacerbates that issue. You'd think that with a hardsuit on, you'd fare better against "space" wind right? Well it's actually quite the opposite. Putting on a hard suit severely decreases movement speed, and thus hampers any real resistance you have against space wind. Again, I shall use another example to demonstrate my point. I'm a round start engineer who's setting up the singulo. I set up the field and begin to head in, and space lag into an emitter beam. I open up the engineering airlocks to go back in and surprise! Space wind attack. I struggle to get in for a good 10 seconds with my hardsuit on before resigning to take it off to get back in. After taking the suit off I manage to get in (on an unrelated the idea of "hardsuits" existing in the year 2500 is an absurd one, and it'd be cool if you fags dealt with this reverse anachronism already). In this case, I fared better without the suit, and honestly hardsuits are already such a burden that I dread the thought of having to put one on. Consider that in most rounds things don't go to shit till much later when most people have some degree of hunger or injury and you can see why this is even more obnoxious.

Lastly, as far as I am aware there is no real counter to space wind. I'd assume that magboots WOULD work, but I've not yet tried it and would not be surprised if they didn't. As we all know however, magboots decrease speed even more! Yay! I'm still a tiny bit ignorant about the map and all it's stuff being a migrant, but I think (I may be wrong) that there are very few amounts of magboots on station in the first place. I know that there are none in engineering aside from the CE's, and that is quite the crime indeed.

As I see it, there are a few solutions to the problem.

a. Remove it entirely
b. Increase run speed (should be done anyway)
c. Add some sort of reasonable counter measure against it.
d. MANDATORY: Draw and quarter whoever is responsible for this existing in the first place.

I've really been fucked over way too many times by this "feature" and I think nobody would truly miss it if it were gone.
Boogeyman

Re: Space Wind, Fastmos, ZASlite, whatever feedback.

Post by Boogeyman » #113231

One thing I forgot to mention is what I'll term "decreasing resistance". When you take damage, your movement speed lowers, when you are in space without a suit you take damage. If you unsuccessfully predict the nature of the space wind, you will end up taking more damage as you will be exposed to space longer. With this damage, you lower your movement speed and so, the longer you are under the effects of space wind without a suit, the more you'll experience a "decreasing resistance" to space wind. This can lead to death in places where it would be absurd to die normally, such as one tile outside an airlock, one tile outside a breach, or within the breach/airlock itself.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #113234

a. Remove it entirely - No.
b. Increase run speed (should be done anyway) - Not happening.
c. Add some sort of reasonable counter measure against it. - The values for how much something can be pushed by wind are easily changes, Cheridan recently lowered them across the board due to cries for a more lethal game. MrPerson recently made pulled objects immune to space wind, meaning you can properly pull things from outside to inside again.
d. MANDATORY: Draw and quarter whoever is responsible for this existing in the first place. - Joke not worth giving a proper response to.
私は完璧
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #113236

Remie Richards wrote:MrPerson recently made pulled objects immune to space wind, meaning you can properly pull things from outside to inside again.
This was definitely needed. Unfortunately if its an object you can collide with you'll just push it out of your own grip when the wind bumps you backwards into the object. (closed lockers, mining crates, etc)

Maybe have wind resistance higher the more "weight" is added onto you, checking for slowdown from hardsuits or other heavy gear? Or treat it somewhat like wet floors, where walking gives you a much more stable movement at the cost of speed. If you're naked and walking near space tiles you're still likely gonna go down even if the wind doesn't pull you into it.

Also for the example of getting space winded out of engineering. PRACTICE PROPER AIRLOCK USAGE. Theres a reason most airlocks are two-stage.
Open from interior to fill the transfer, shut the door.
Open exterior from transfer to vent, leave and shut the door.
When you return, transfer should be a vacuum anyway and getting blown back shouldn't exist. Continue back inside once the exterior door is shut behind you.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #113238

oh man you're that guy who got cucked out of greentexting because you got blown out of the shuttle cockpit

that was hilarious
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Boogeyman

Post by Boogeyman » #113244

whodaloo wrote:oh man you're that guy who got cucked out of greentexting because you got blown out of the shuttle cockpit

that was hilarious
Yes, that is one example. A more recent (yet not as severe) example would be me, a nuke op, going to steal the derelict teleporter board. I went to the derelict chapel with syndicate toolbox in hand and climbed on a table to break the window to get to the teleporter. Climbed on up, and the toolbox dropped from my hand. Shot the window with my pistol and broke the grill. Space wind drags the toolbox from the table, into space propelling it west. Considering I and the box would move at the same speed (didn't put my jet pack on) it was impossible to get. Cost us a good four or five minutes while I scrambled to find more tools.

And for those who aren't aware of what he is referring to...

It was a traitor round, I was a traitor engineer with the objective to escape without any loyal crew members. CE accidentally let the singulo loose and another traitor capitalized on this and put a beacon down. Singulo basically kills almost the entire station but a very few. I figure I can actually pull it off, and wait outside the devastated chapel. Another traitor comes by, stun batons me, takes my suit off. I scramble to tell him I'm a syndie while he checks my bag and lets me live. Get my suit back on with around... 40% health. Shuttle comes by 20 seconds later. I and he, break into the shuttle cockpit. I emag it from space, and try to get on the shuttle. I have ten seconds, but space wind refuses to let me on the shuttle. I manage to miss my own emagged shuttle and fail my objective. The other traitor kills the other two people on board while I drift in space.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #113247

Mandatory foot note that I was dragging a super matter shard through maint and went past a broken window in the dark, the space wind sucked me into the shard and killed me. It then went on to kill about four or five more people.

Fun round.
Space wind kinda sucks major cocks at the moment
Last edited by Akkryls on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogeyman

Post by Boogeyman » #113248

Remie Richards wrote:a. Remove it entirely - No.
c. Add some sort of reasonable counter measure against it. - The values for how much something can be pushed by wind are easily changes, Cheridan recently lowered them across the board due to cries for a more lethal game. MrPerson recently made pulled objects immune to space wind, meaning you can properly pull things from outside to inside again.
d. MANDATORY: Draw and quarter whoever is responsible for this existing in the first place. - Joke not worth giving a proper response to.
Considering you ignored or chose not to respond to my actual reasoning for wanting the above done I suppose that the only part of your post I can reply to would be c.

When I say that I want a reasonable counter measure against it, I mean a counter measure my character can take in game to lessen the effects. Changing values is not a viable option because it is an OOC solution to the IC problem. It is not something the player can do, only something the coder or server host can do. I'll admit I'm not familiar with what you're talking about when you reference "cries for more a lethal game" so I'll choose not to comment on that for now. I'm aware that the issue regarding pulling objects was fixed, it's why I didn't bring it up at all in the original post.
Last edited by Boogeyman on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #113249

The in-game countermeasure is magboots, which can be created in R&D with enough research. Space wind is still overpowered, though, so a code solution to change values is also needed.
Boogeyman

Post by Boogeyman » #113250

TheNightingale wrote:The in-game countermeasure is magboots, which can be created in R&D with enough research. Space wind is still overpowered, though, so a code solution to change values is also needed.
I recall at one point, magboots were in EVA as well as the CE's locker. This was before advanced magboots existed. Their availability now seems rather slim. I really do despise magboots though, I hate anything that decreases movement speed, and having to decrease movement speed TWICE (once for wearing, the second for toggling) is obnoxious. Having recently learned that hyperzine was removed made me furious.

And having looked at the new Research levels, looks like it requires Engineering 5 + gold and silver. It seems like a 50/50 shot that Science even does research, and given the relatively high research/material cost I'd estimate it's a bit lower then that. And then it would require power gaming to the max to even consider asking for them outside of an Engineering role (when they should be standard for all engineering rigs anyway). I suppose it's a solution, but I am just taking your word for it.

EDIT: Well after compiling my own server it seems, that I was wrong about the magboots slowing you down twice, they only slow on activation. They work differently on /vg/. And there are two pairs in EVA. So that makes for 3 pairs total.
Last edited by Boogeyman on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #113253

There already are magboots in EVA; three pairs, I believe? It'd be good if they were integrated into Engineering RIGs, but they're already the best spaceworthy suits on station (with the built-in jetpack and floodlight helmet).
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #113254

It can be so annoying to even re-enter the station that this needs to be turned down or all hardsuits need them integrated.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #113255

Boogeyman wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:a. Remove it entirely - No.
Considering you ignored or chose not to respond to my actual reasoning for wanting the above done I suppose that the only part of your post I can reply to would be c.

When I say that I want a reasonable counter measure against it, I mean a counter measure my character can take in game to lessen the effects. Changing values is not a viable option because it is an OOC solution to the IC problem. It is not something the player can do, only something the coder or server host can do. I'll admit I'm not familiar with what you're talking about when you reference "cries for more a lethal game" so I'll choose not to comment on that for now. I'm aware that the issue regarding pulling objects was fixed, it's why I didn't bring it up at all in the original post.
There has been more and more public outcry to make the game harder, more lethal, more likely to die to non-antagonist sources.
As a side effect of this, resistance to space wind was reduced by quite a bit, the result is what you are complaining about.
私は完璧
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #113256

Spacewind feels like you're dying to a bug/poorly balanced mechanic

Not like a hard game.

Jerking in an out of a window is not more fun for an extra minute while you die

And not being able to ENTER THE FUCKING STATION sure as hell isn't lethality
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Boogeyman

Post by Boogeyman » #113262

Right, I'll take your word for it...

I'd go on to argue that just because there is a public outcry for something does not mean it is the right course of action. I'd say something about valuing the carefully deliberated opinions of the elite and knowledgeable (someone like me you see) more then the opinions of the easily manipulated horde. I'd also consider making an argument challenging the assertion that introducing this system would be the best option, similar to what the above poster did. Lastly, I would argue against the idea that the valued goal of a more "dangerous station" was desirable at all!

But again! I'm taking your word for it! So I won't.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #113265

I think it is pretty ridiculous to claim that bouncing between two tiles while you struggle to walk inside and occasionally dying is fun gameplay. Yes we want more lethality but slowly freezing as you bounce back and forth between two tiles is not fun or interesting in the slightest.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #113295

More lethality means more lethality from traitor-induced hazards, not inducing pingpong entering the station by invisible forces that kills you if you're even slightly wounded or slowed.

I'm fairly sure people want more lethal weaponry, departmental equipment, and other wielded equipment, NOT from magical spacewind that literally not a single person has sung the praise of since it's introduction. It's especially retarded in conjunct with the buffed vents and scrubbers.
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #113302

I would also like to point out the station was more lethal 3+ years ago when we had oldlings and parapenc4 and no defibrillators or other such stuff.
We didn't have retarded space wind back then. It's killing a rather large amount of people who would usually survive with minor injuries.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #113337

My biggest beef with the current space wind is its... randomness.

Sometimes you can just casually enter an airlock - and sometimes you keep struggling for 30 seconds, even getting pushed away at a diagonal angle (how the fuck does that work).

Single tile breaches are deathtraps, whereas a max cap bomb crater can be easily moved through.
Add a banana peal to that one tile breach and you have a black hole of death.

Another example:
Shitface McHulk punches out a window in the escape shuttle. As soon as the shuttle launches, EVERY OBJECT on the shuttle begins to move into the breach. They didn't move when the breach was created, they just started moving all together upon launch. And this doesn't happen every time, it feels random. Or buggy.

Whenever I get into a struggle for my life against space wind, I have no idea if I will make it out easily or if I was somehow already doomed by physics pingpong.
There is no consistency.

Also: space wind is now so strong, it even diverts emitter beams. :lol:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #113339

>diverts emitter beams

GIFs or it didn't happen.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #113345

Space wind at present is really pushing the envelope as given in examples here even small amounts of damage can render people in space suits totally incompetent in a vacuum. The threshold for being able to move properly is really fucking fine for anyone in a space suit with people without space suits having a bigger margin before total stupidity kicks in. Given traitor shenanigans aside we have mining a job in part dedicated to getting injured bumping beasts on the asteroid how is this an acceptable game mechanic other than MUH REALIZMS!?

Dangerous station my ass half the examples are it not even killing people, nuisance station more like it.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #113347

How can ANYONE possibly think space wind is a good idea for a 'more lethal game?'

It is not more lethal. It is more frustrating and shitty, because you're fighting poorly designed game mechanics, not people.
By the same logic we might as well have random BSA that gib people for no reason with no warning or counter throughout the round. It'll be more lethal, right guys?

Walking down a corridor getting pushed backwards NONSTOP because the corridor is slightly overpressurised is the most pants on head retarded thing I have EVER seen in this game.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #113348

Raise the push threshold, if it's a thing, and make magboots vastly more common.

Alleviates some symptoms, at least, because I doubt we're getting rid of nonZAS.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #113352

Incomptinence wrote:Space wind at present is really pushing the envelop as given in examples here even small amounts of damage can render people in space suits totally incompetent in a vacuum. The threshold for being able to move properly is really fucking fine for anyone in a space suit with people without space suits having a bigger margin before total stupidity kicks in. Given traitor shenanigans aside we have mining a job in part dedicated to getting injured bumping beasts on the asteroid how is this an acceptable game mechanic other than MUH REALIZMS!?

Dangerous station my ass half the examples are it not even killing people, nuisance station more like it.

Also fucking ore crates. The change to pulled objects not being pulled from you due to spacewind was thankful, but as a miner, it didn't fix ore crates. The fucking things get bumped into by you when spacewind pulls you back and then slingshot out the door due to the wind. imo magboots should be built into all hardsuits on a toggle in the object tab like built-in jetpacks.

Miners having built-in jetpacks would also be a nice thing for spess exploration after your job is done but I'm not really counting on it happening.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #113360

I half expect anyone who wants to do anything in space bum rushing EVA storage like they have an objective to steal magboots because that is what they need to avoid this stupid mechanic, anyone who fails to do so I refer you to the coders telling you that you need to "get good".
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #113366

Bay style EXPLOSIVE DECOMPRESSION SEND HALP would be 'more lethal'.
Constant pushback due to the slightest pressure difference is just 'more annoying and frustrating'.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #113393

lumipharon wrote:Bay style EXPLOSIVE DECOMPRESSION SEND HALP would be 'more lethal'.
Constant pushback due to the slightest pressure difference is just 'more annoying and frustrating'.
I thought the explosive decompression thing was pretty cool.
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #113400

DemonFiren wrote:>diverts emitter beams

Actually on this note. I got dragged by space wind as a revenant the other day.
Shit's broken yo.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #113475

DemonFiren wrote:>diverts emitter beams

Fuck, I am bad with computers. And try taking a screenshot of an emitter beam when it's on a specific tile.
To reproduce:
- leave towards singulo containment through the western airlock
- be careless and leave both airlocks open for maximum spesswindyness
- stand diagonally SE to the northwestern emitter (f.ex. on numpad: 5 = emitter, 3 = you)
- turn emitter on
- get hit in the face with emitter beams as long as there's air pushing out of the airlock

If the stars align and lag plays along, you can even see the beam leaving the emitter on a diagonal.
The beam returns to its original path after having taken this slight detour in your general direction and still hits the generator it was aiming for. But still.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #113514

Will reproduce with upgraded emitter, hilarity if true.

Reminder to port /vg/'s beams.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #113657

lmao get good you losers
Absalom
Byond Username: Absalom526

Post by Absalom » #118725

I have never died to space wind. I HAVE, however, been INCREDIBLY FUCKING INCONVENIENCED by it, every time I have come into contact with it.

It doesn't add lethality, it adds pure frustration.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #118726

Yesterday a tator AI attempted a plasmaflood. It was pretty weak and only a little plasma came out, but the positive pressure was enough that it was literally impossible to walk down the hallway in a spacesuit with slight damage and a massive ping pong inconvenience to do it without. Is there any chance for this to be reverted or rebalanced? Everyone seems to hate it and agree it adds nothing to gameplay
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #118734

Wyzack wrote:it adds nothing to gameplay
I disagree, space wind is pretty fun. We just need ways to mitigate its effects. We already have magboots, but there are few of those.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #118737

Scott wrote:
I disagree, space wind is pretty fun. We just need ways to mitigate its effects. We already have magboots, but there are few of those.
What makes you find space wind "pretty fun"? Serious question.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #118740

Cheimon wrote:
Scott wrote:
I think he means "fun-ny". As a traitor AI. Who hit the panic syphon in a crowded hallway.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #118743

Cheimon wrote:
Scott wrote:
The fact that this is the first time the atmos system is relevant outside plasma floods? Fastmos was the best thing that happened to tg.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #118787

It pushed people before. It's not like bad atmos settings invented air pressure killing people.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #118812

It's unbelievably retarded.
Get an AIR canister.
Empty it in some corridor (try outside medbay) watch as it becomes a horrible, unplayable mess as no one can walk down the corridor or move through doors.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #118839

Lol we were fighting a Dark Gygax and its air tank ruptured. Holy fucking shit we couldn't get near it for a whole fucking minute
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #121346

So when's this getting fixed?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #121499

I have a fix, I'm gonna make space wind not effect people who are moving (as in, still holding down the movement key) unless its strong spacewind.

After I finish my stickybans pr.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #121501

What's strong space wind?

ie: If there is a one tile breach are you still going to get stuck in it and die for no particular reason?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121505

if i had to guess, strong spacewind would be wind that's a level higher than a breach, IE if somebody sabotages atmos and makes all the distro output pumps shoot 100,000 kPa of pressure into the halls, or maybe the sudden increase of pressure when plasma heats up in a fire
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #122143

MrStonedOne wrote:I have a fix, I'm gonna make space wind not effect people who are moving (as in, still holding down the movement key) unless its strong spacewind.

After I finish my stickybans pr.
Honestly that feels a bit snowflakey...
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #122148

Who cares if its snowflake or not
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126443

maybe we should put handles you can grab on the walls between exterior airlocks with light wind you can pull yourself in for stronger winds you hold on untill the wind stops
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #126444

Remeber when a pr got put up to remove shitty space wind?

Remember when it got shut down because "we just can make a fix"?

Remember when no one has bothered to make a fix?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #126489

The problem is that space wind is usually imagined as a short strong burst that pushes you in a certain direction and than stops. However since it takes ages for pressure to spread due to the atmos code it is just a looooong annoying pull into on direction.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.