implant breaker + double implant too stronk

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

implant breaker + double implant too stronk

Post by Supermichael777 » #118849

Oldman's rant:
Spoiler:

Seen this happen too many times and it's getting old. One of the reasons that gangs can spiral out of control wayyyy too fast is when someone gets one of the 20+ slipping tools around the station and wets tiles near the brig/bridge/etc.

Some security leaves brig, comes by, they slip, you start injecting them and before they realize what's going on or have any ability to stop it - they've joined an enemy gang and basically ensured them victory.

Virtually every "bad" gang war I've seen, where one side immediately spirals out of control and stomps the station, happened when security got slip n' stabbed, started converting their own and by the time people realized what was going on it was far, far, far too late to stop them.

Armor+Helmet should work on implant breakers the same way that biosuits/hardsuits work on regular needles.

This means that converting a member of security takes more effort than just camping choke-points with wet tiles under the airlocks.
Basically the combination of the ease of snowballing from single officer> sec department>whole station with the difficulty of deconversion is making gang a retarded shit-show about who can meme a sec officer first.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: implant breaker + double implant too stronk

Post by lumipharon » #118850

It's really shit.
It's super easy to convert all of sec, then you can face roll even with shit territory control.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #118851

The reason this is as it stands is that Ikkarus position is that Security should have minimal to no impact on Gang rounds at all, the round should be Gang v Gang.

Sadly in pursuing this he really sidesteppd the entire security department in a shitty way.

E: Our gang mode is inspired by Goon's gang mode. However their security cannot be converted, they're expected to try and maintain the peace but they usually can't win.

Here security is usually a loot pinata for whichever gang can convert security first, once you've got your foot in the door its real easy to convert the rest of security.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #118857

I don't mind it so much. Either way, I don't want sec to become anywhere close to a focus in this mode. Rather, an easy proposal is to just boost the time it takes to implant very slightly so that a slip stun alone isn't sufficient to implant, basically forcing you to slip -> cuff -> implant. As-is, a slip stun is BARELY enough for an implant, so it wouldn't be a hefty nerf.

This also has another positive aspect - being cuffed as any crew member is always a cause for alarm, ESPECIALLY for a security guard, and will, 99% of the time, result in calls for help and increased alertness, while giving more time to do so. At the same time, it means you won't have to go through all that idiocy of slip -> cuff -> run away -> try to strip helmet -> deal with a long implant time, which I feel is too severe a nerf for the high-speed nature of gang.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #118862

Making it slower to implant doesn't really help. They can still stun, cuff and implant - doesn't matter if it takes a little longer after they are cuffed and helpless.

Either make implant breakers a lot more expensive, or remove them - it's really bad gameplay currently.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #118882

lumipharon wrote:Making it slower to implant doesn't really help. They can still stun, cuff and implant - doesn't matter if it takes a little longer after they are cuffed and helpless.

Either make implant breakers a lot more expensive, or remove them - it's really bad gameplay currently.
Except without implants you cannot convert security or other gangsters, meaning both sec and gangs would be shit on every gang round, encouraging the revlike behaviour of 'shoot everyone that moves'/'kill any sec that moves' 10 minutes in, because sec can't be converted, so they'll just gun them down instead. Conversely, sec would know that gangsters would do this, so it would naturally lead to that sort of behaviour. Also, it'd be impossible to convert enemy gangsters, meaning the station would become a bloodbath very very quickly.

As-is, gang is a conversion battle. As such, not many people die sans leaders so long as the gangs are beating sec, and competent. This isn't a bad thing, as it keeps people in the game whilst at the same time leading to a dom. I would like to see some more viability in smaller gangs, however i.e. make weaponry costs scale to your organization size, so there would be more strategy involved (should I buy guns now while not converting as quickly and not converting with implants as quickly as other gangs yet so that I can have cheaper prices, or should I buy the implants now, expand my organization size so that I can get more influence which should compensate for the increased prices of weaponry?'. Obviously, the implant cost would be fixed.

Something like that would even the playing field. A small gang might be small, but they'd be heavily armed. Whereas a large gang would find themselves increasingly dependent on station supplies as they grow. A comeback mechanic, if you will. It also means rapid expansion would not be the be-all-end-all to victory, and spending 100% of your time converting people or even using implants (if you aren't converting, you're losing people!) isn't as necessary, since you could just group up a department, fortify it, and arm everyone.

Regardless, gang is one of the most well-liked gamemodes currently, and soI'd advise not making drastic changes to the gameflow without hefty consideration and a vote, though I trust Ikkarus to handle his gamemode well, given he seems to have had taken the feedback to heart. Implants are necessary for proper gameflow to occur (without them it would devolve into a slower-paced revolution with guns), and if they were any more expensive, it would be TOO expensive to convert enemy gangsters/forced implantees rather than killing them most of the time.
Last edited by Amelius on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #118886

What are you talking about? I said nothing about loyalty implants, only implant breakers.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #118887

lumipharon wrote:What are you talking about? I said nothing about loyalty implants, only implant breakers.
By 'implants', I meant the breakers.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #118891

I usually solve this problem when playing sec by instantly wasting any officer I see without implant. Usually they think everyone is retarded and won't notice their lack of implant.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #118971

CPTANT wrote:I usually solve this problem when playing sec by instantly wasting any officer I see without implant. Usually they think everyone is retarded and won't notice their lack of implant.
It used to be alot more visible, and honestly, it really should be visible. It's pretty tough to see if an officer has their implant if they're barrelling down the corridor and you have seconds to make a decision.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #119019

CPTANT wrote:I usually solve this problem when playing sec by instantly wasting any officer I see without implant. Usually they think everyone is retarded and won't notice their lack of implant.

"O-h h-i G-g-g-r-e-g, w-h-e-r-e's yo-u-r i-i-impl-a-n-t?"

Every time. This is a problem. Implants shouldn't go through helmets/berets because this is really stupid.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saintish
Byond Username: Saintish

Post by Saintish » #119454

I agree. And it's not a matter of detecting gang sec officers, it's a matter of them having access to tasers and shit.
asskek
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Asskek

Post by asskek » #123160

why is this not getting any attention
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #123161

i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #123167

this is already merged.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #123175

Oh so no more Gang Sec?

THANK FUCKING GOD
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #123178

I think it's merged, at least, like 99% sure, so yeah, gang sec can still happen, but it's not as easy as just slipping somebody and injecting them into your gang effortlessly.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #123179

Zilenan91 wrote:this is already merged.
Github wrote: Open KorPhaeron wants to merge 4 commits into tgstation:master from KorPhaeron:gang
Keyword, OPEN
私は完璧
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #123503

If this is the gang thread...

Gang rounds are suffering from severe murderboning, in a conversion roundtype. People say that rev exists to blow off steam, but it doesn't explain peoples' behaviour in this roundtype. How do we encourage co-operation and conversion?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #123530

AnonymousNow wrote:If this is the gang thread...

Gang rounds are suffering from severe murderboning, in a conversion roundtype. People say that rev exists to blow off steam, but it doesn't explain peoples' behaviour in this roundtype. How do we encourage co-operation and conversion?
Make sec not powergaming round enders and let the gangs have an easier way of telling who they can't convert.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #123565

Honestly murderboning is the most effective strategy in Rev/Gang once you have a core of competent players.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #123570

callanrockslol wrote:
Make sec not powergaming round enders and let the gangs have an easier way of telling who they can't convert.
Don't they already have a chameleonic sec hud on leaders for hunting down every last loyalist EZPEEZEE?
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #125564

Gang's still suffering from murderboning over conversion which fucks over both the gang with the rogue members and the other people in the round.

This is a Rule 1 enforcement issue, right?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125568

It depends. If they're murderboning without the gang boss telling them to murderbone, consider ahelping it, because it can be argued that that's going against their team by killing everyone, ganger or not.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #125570

Not sure why you're surprised by murder when gangs are armed with uzis and switchblades.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125580

If you're not in a position to convert someone as a gangster, it's perfectly reasonable to simply murder them - they're antags after all, and dead people can't fight back.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125587

Oh yeah, definitely, and by murderboning I mean actively hunting down people who aren't doing anything, not mowing down the dude(s) sitting outside your base.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125590

Well... Kor was murdering the shit out of everyone as HoS yesterday during a gang mode.
He even murdered some guy that just arrived on station. Honk.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #125607

He probably deserved it.

And I saved the station! Minus the crew, anyway.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125613

You didn't even try stop the dominator, you were just roaming the corridors killing people - only Wil tried to stop it.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #125617

lumipharon wrote:You didn't even try stop the dominator, you were just roaming the corridors killing people - only Wil tried to stop it.
I was trying to suit up for it when the CMO and janitor started bothering me. Grabbed a jetpack and suit and stuff.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #125620

It's less the murder, and more the murder in a conversion gangmode, especially the murder when it just seems to be an attempt to take people out of the round and subvert their own gang.

I've seen an instance today where a gang has lost all their subtlety this way and been eliminated from a three-gang round by the resulting backlash, without the numbers to defend against that backlash. I, personally, was in a round where somebody did this to me (as in, I was the gang leader) on purpose before bouncing.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #125664

> Help! Gangs are converting the station at a decent pace with some, but not much murderboning, and it ends up being gang v.s. gang until one team 'wins' and safely dominates, because there's no rational reason to risk domming when you can only dom twice, and if you don't have solid control you're just marking yourself for death, especially if sec is still in play. Nerf conversion so they can't convert other gangsters/implanted folks as quickly!

> Suddenly people are wondering why more gangsters are murderboning instead of converting when conversion isn't as effective, relies solely on gang leaders (i.e. you can't distribute single-use implant breakers to your minions in the field to any effect), AND they're more expensive than before so they eat up your supply of influence very damn fast, whilst loyalty implants are now more effective than the gang ones, despite Ikkarus trying to avoid that entire situation from the start. Loyalty implants come in boxes with 4 implants apiece, cost one to deconvert (which is all that matters now because regardless if they have an implant or not, gangs have to expend a pen charge on them), AND are relatively cheap in cargo. Then the gangs have to compete with the other gang killing/snatching recruits. OF COURSE IT'S A BLOODBATH

> Here's an idea, let's legislate against murderboning in a gamemode that hands you a bunch of murderboning tools unless explicitly ordered by your boss!

It's now infinitely more effective to convert 10-15 people earlygame pre-mass conversions, have a core competent group of 4-5 folks with the rest spraying or acting in a support role, and just kill the rest with uzis, rather than trying to keep people in the round, due to gank deconversions being frequent on the part of sec/cargo, and the other gangs. I told you this would happen.

Gamemode is turning into a trainwreck. Ikkarus is, as predicted, the only one that can be trusted to actually refine it properly.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125665

You have no-one but yourself to blame, Amelius, with slip + Gang implanter.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #125666

But the implant change isnt even on server silly. At least actually play the change before declaring it a trainwreck.

I also talked to Ikarrus before I even made the PR. I also edited the PR to exactly what Ikarrus suggested when he commented.

I really dont appreciate multiple paragraphs about how I've ruined another coders work, especially when its written as if you've actually played it, before anyone has ever actually touched it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125673

Also honestly people get way too upset these days about being removed from the round.

Have we forgotten the days of parapen c4? Of welding tank gibbings? Parasting?
People are too spoilt with how HARD it is to remove a person from the game permanently, from upgraded cloners, defibs, drones, posibrains, golems, sentience potions etc etc.

If people aren't getting removed from the roun then things aren't really progressing.

To me, this is ony an issue if people are explicitly murderboning when they are able to convert (revhead axing unimplaned people instead of flashing etc).
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #125748

lumipharon wrote: To me, this is ony an issue if people are explicitly murderboning when they are able to convert (revhead axing unimplaned people instead of flashing etc).
This is essentially what is being discussed.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #125802

I would be in support to just make roundstart security and the captain not convertable to gangsters, implant breakers or not.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #125803

security being hopeless during gang actually kind of makes sense if it was ikarrus' intention to enable gangs quickly swallowing up sec and leaving them alive rather than have sec stomp out or get caught in bitter protracted fights that ends in stalemates. It's almost preferable to have easy sec conversions if you're not the type to get overly attached to whether sec wins or not, if gangs prefer to convert you it's a minute or less out of the fun and then you're back in.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125839

The issue isn't sec being able to win or not (they usually don't), it's the fact that the first gang to convert sec wins 99% of the time.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125890

I'd say 100% of the time. Especially with auto rifles being in, gangs just snowballed so hard.

I do think that breakers should still cost ten points though, especially since they don't convert any more, removing implants combined with having to use a pen on them is enough of a nerf I think.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126005

>auto rifles.

But what everyone is saying is true, the gang to convert security is also usually the gang that wins.

Not only do you get most of the security team under you control (who I would wager are going to be slightly more competent at combat than the average crew member) but they have access to a wide array of weapons and tools AND they have a very good defensive location known as the brig that can be used as a base.

Good luck storming the birg to destroy the dominator.

I still think Sec and the Captain should be immune to conversion, thematicly I dislike it, realisticly its bullshit and balance wise it's nearly a 'I win' button for the gang that does it first.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #126025

nah sec needs to be able to be converted. The way it was before was straight up memey, but now it's far far better than what it was before.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: