New gun names

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

New gun names

Post by Amelius » #119034

> Renaming the classy as fuck sketchkin to a middle-school joke: FK-69.
> Can't name your own revolver any more, if observations is any indication.
> All these random names that are neither descriptive, nor easily identifiable in a split-second in chat.

Just why?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: New gun names

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #119035

There's no reason
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #119036

Yeah when we got gun names back I thought it was going to be called the sketchkin again, not this bullshit
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #119038

Stechkin's a bad example though.

If it's meant to be named after an actual gun, it's called a "Stechkin" rather than a "Stetchkin", and it also looks nothing like the sprite. Meanwhile, the "silent Stechkin" is a unique kind of revolver, not just a pistol with a black cylinder screwed onto the end. And if it's not meant to be named after anything specific, why is it typed up like a misspelling of a known gun designer?

The whole name just doesn't fit.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #119039

In the grim darkness of the semi-near future, this is the possibility of cheap knockoffs.

Seriously, it's always been a stechkin, or stetchkin whatever the fuck - doesn't matter if there is a real life gun that most people don't even knw about that has the same/similar name.
Who the fuck though "FK-69" would be a good idea?

Det revolver change is also pretty hitler, if you can't rename it anymore.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #119040

Bring back the old names.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #119078

....Oh wait....I just got what FK-69 means...GOD DAMNIT CHERIDAN! LAST TIME I LISTEN TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS!

Also, uhhh, detective revolvers CAN still be renamed...it was just given its own base name, since previously it used the name of the generic revolver.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119082

Firecage this is why I said stick to the syndie guns you dork
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #119084

Dorsi, I didn't rename the GENERAL station guns, like tasers, disablers, shotguns, etc.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119087

You renamed the captain's laser, the HOS' laser, and the detective's revolver. The League of Comdoms is coming for you now.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #119102

HONK! I am a clown now! Time to griff errybody!
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #119103

Names that are just letterletternumbernumber manufacturing designations are boring as hell, and really unmemorable
Just call them what they literally are instead of hiding it behind some meaningless characters
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #119271

Jacquerel wrote:Names that are just letterletternumbernumber manufacturing designations are boring as hell, and really unmemorable
Just call them what they literally are instead of hiding it behind some meaningless characters
This. The whole reason why the stetchkin is so memorable and well-liked is because it's short, to the point, and, well, sounds cool.

Same reason why the bulldog is memorable as well.

Concise, simple, one to two word names. And by word, I mean word - not the FK-69, a name. It can be a pun, a knockoff name, or anything like that. Not generic stuff like the 69 or whatever pulse laser or what the fuck the HoS gun is called.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Post by Tunder » #119324

Renaming the guns was Firecage's idea.

It is not a very useful idea, or a very good one. Changing lore just because should be heavily frowned upon.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119333

Renaming the guns was my idea, actually. Unfortunately some of the resident gun /k/nuts were on coderbus at the time and petitioned them to change all the names which were also real-life guns, or similar to real life guns.
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #119352

My god Tunder. WHAT fucking lore change? The Stechkin wasn't even called a fucking Stechkin. The syndicate guns were literally Syndicate [Gun type here]. HoS and Captain guns DIDNT even have fucking names. Literally 100% no names.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #119354

It used to be called the stechkin before pap made it generic, and i would really like it back
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119356

FK-69 (cheris a dork) -> Stetchkin
ALX3487=sdasop3-laser rifle -> Captain's Laser Rifle
JAGHANX-p3 laser rifle -> HOS' energy rifle

shit, Jaghanx-p3 sounds like a cool name for a syndie gun.

.37 mars special needs an indication on how to rename it somewhere
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #119359

It never had any indication before the renaming though. However i will admit having to ask in OOC how to rename it when the verb was first removed
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119360

Yeah, but while we're poking guns, we might as well clean out the grubby bits.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #119366

As said at the time, unique names don't help people know what's being fired at them. It would be better if everything was generic (syndicate pistol/prototype sub machine gun/taser-disabler) with interesting examine texts, if we're looking at things from a pure usability standpoint. As it is, .38 Mars Special says nothing to me except that the weapon is ballistic, and FK-69 or Stechkin doesn't even do that.

But then, I'm the sort of person that likes the idea of chemicals called burn-bruteamol. I reckon usability should trump special knowledge the whole time, but others obviously disagree. Some have even said that the gun names were somehow an essential part of the "lore" (including a mis-spelt reference to a russian gun designer, in a gun that looked nothing like anything he made).
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #119390

Cheimoon, you do realise the name isn't just FK69, or .38 Mars Special. It is FK-69 PISTOL and .38 mars Special REVOLVER
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #119527

firecage wrote:Cheimoon, you do realise the name isn't just FK69, or .38 Mars Special. It is FK-69 PISTOL and .38 mars Special REVOLVER
Well that's just not true. I went onto Basil to check.

As you can see, it displays on attack as ".38 Mars Special", in the lower left hand corner when moused over it is ".38 Mars Special", and when examined the word "revolver" never turns up either. The best you get is the ambiguous phrase "law enforcement firearm", which means if you can't see the big sprite (and you can't if you're not the detective) then nothing immediately indicates it's a revolver.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #119533

Friendly reminder that getting shot at by weapons such as:

syndicate pistol
syndicate revolver
syndicate smg
syndicate rifle
syndicate buttplug cannon

Is not as user friendly as:

Stechkin
revolver
c-20r
m-90

But both are better then:
C0ck-6969 laser blaster

If you give guns proper names, then you leave it as just the name. Saying c-20r sub machine gun is pointless when it can just say c-20r.

The point with names it to make identifying different items easy and clear.
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #119563

Cheimon wrote:
firecage wrote:Cheimoon, you do realise the name isn't just FK69, or .38 Mars Special. It is FK-69 PISTOL and .38 mars Special REVOLVER
Well that's just not true. I went onto Basil to check.

As you can see, it displays on attack as ".38 Mars Special", in the lower left hand corner when moused over it is ".38 Mars Special", and when examined the word "revolver" never turns up either. The best you get is the ambiguous phrase "law enforcement firearm", which means if you can't see the big sprite (and you can't if you're not the detective) then nothing immediately indicates it's a revolver.
Ah yeah, seem to have forgotten the detective one, the other are though.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #119598

lumipharon wrote:Friendly reminder that getting shot at by weapons such as:

syndicate pistol
syndicate revolver
syndicate smg
syndicate rifle
syndicate buttplug cannon

Is not as user friendly as:

Stechkin
revolver
c-20r
m-90

But both are better then:
C0ck-6969 laser blaster

If you give guns proper names, then you leave it as just the name. Saying c-20r sub machine gun is pointless when it can just say c-20r.

The point with names it to make identifying different items easy and clear.

But the proper names aren't useful. When I read m-90, I wonder: is that the M90 made by Barrett, which is a sniper rifle, or the M90 made by Zastava, which is a never-used Serbian assault rifle?

And the c-20r, I wonder, what is that? Well, I looked it up. C20r is used to identify a couple of different engine variants. Y'know, the things in cars. The gun itself is totally made up, but seems to be based on the FN F2000, which is a Belgian assault rifle. At least revolver is generic.

If you're going to name it, calling it the C20r assault rifle or the m-90 sniper rifle or the Stechkin pistol is a lot more helpful. Otherwise, c20r is functionally equivalent to calling the gun c0ck-6969. It's just that one of the names sounds a lot less mature. Neither helps identify the gun. At least C0ck-6969 laser blaster actually tells me something about the gun: it fires powerful lasers.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #119600

What is this plasma people are saying is flooding? Is it plasma in blood or the state of matter? Hurr.

The point is unless you're completely new, you know exactly what a C-20r is. C-20r sub machine gun is utterly redundant (because ultimately there is no difference between most different 'types' of gun, just X damage, Y bullets), while
Syndicate SMG is almost exactly the same as Syndicate whateverother gun, because the first half of the name is a shared fluff piece that just means you can't as easily tell them apart at a glance.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119611

I agree with Lumi that you should know the names, it's just important that it not degenerate into an endless series of numerals (like new caplaser/HOSlaser)

The C20r is the second-oldest weapon nukeops have had, there's no excuse not to know what it is unless you're brand new, in which case you will find out what it is when you get hit by a bunch of bullets, fall over, and get abducted for your disk.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #119638

That's true. But it doesn't mean it's "more user friendly".

The fact is that calling the HOS gun X-01 and the syndicate SMG C20-r is only different because the latter has been called that for a few years, while the HOS gun has only been called that for a few days.

That's literally the only difference. Not user friendliness, not endless numerals, just the fact that one has existed longer than the other. The same arguments that prop up naming for one gun prop up the naming convention of the other.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #119641

A couple (as in, pretty much no more than two or three) of weapons with names like the C20-R are fine, if every weapon is called C20 through M40 then it's bad.
When it's only a few they're memorable enough.