Revenant Power Creep

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Revenant Power Creep

Post by Tunder » #119306

Firstly, I'd like to thank Xhuis for consulting the player base while designing a flavor antag that quietly absorbs the health of critted crew.

Secondly, I'd like to thank him for creating a feedback thread and getting public opinion on the revenant's balance before buffing said meme ghost to the point where it can see everything via ghost vision while talking to living beings, AOE oneshot multiple crew and disable or destroy all electronics or silicons with EMP.

It's an absolute terror on lowpop, and went quickly from sorta spoopy yet fun jump scare flavor antag to uncounterable avatar of validhunting. Please nerf it back to the realm of manageability.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Revenant Power Creep

Post by Steelpoint » #119311

I was likely the Revenant you had to contend with.

If anything I rarely interacted with the crew, I spent most of my time scurrying around trying to find corpses, I only directly killed a single person and that was the Chef who did not react to my bolt attacks until it was too late.

Also most of the crew had insulated gloves, meaning my main method of attack was rendered ineffective.

Also the Chaplain did lay holy water, or salt or something, around places making it difficult for me to get to areas.

Maybe its a bit more powerful, but that's just my perspective.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #119314

I didn't add most of the revenant's new abilities. Rest assured a nerf is in the works.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #119315

Steelpoint wrote:I was likely the Revenant you had to contend with.

If anything I rarely interacted with the crew, I spent most of my time scurrying around trying to find corpses, I only directly killed a single person and that was the Chef who did not react to my bolt attacks until it was too late.

Also most of the crew had insulated gloves, meaning my main method of attack was rendered ineffective.

Also the Chaplain did lay holy water, or salt or something, around places making it difficult for me to get to areas.

Maybe its a bit more powerful, but that's just my perspective.
You weren't the cause of this. I had been looking for a feedback thread for awhile, ever since revenants got a heavy buff, but your lowpop spree made me realize that if there wasn't a thread, there needed to be.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #119316

I do agree that Revenant's should be akin to carrion eaters, picking the flesh of the already dead. Their powers could be useful in clearing a room or annoying people but they really should not be killing people (outside of general stupidity)
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #119318

Steelpoint wrote:I do agree that Revenant's should be akin to carrion eaters, picking the flesh of the already dead. Their powers could be useful in clearing a room or annoying people but they really should not be killing people (outside of general stupidity)
You oneshotted a guy I cloned after killing the morph into crit. He was at full health.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #119319

Tunder wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:I do agree that Revenant's should be akin to carrion eaters, picking the flesh of the already dead. Their powers could be useful in clearing a room or annoying people but they really should not be killing people (outside of general stupidity)
You oneshotted a guy I cloned after killing the morph into crit. He was at full health.
I think I shocked him about three time.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119334

That's deadlier than a slaughter-demon, especially since the shock is and AOE stun that you only risk yourself from reinforcements.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #119339

Revenants being able to shock everyone in a room with lightning bolts from the light tubes is a bit much, I think. It's annoying as hell and it doesn't fit with the apparent flavour of the antagonist, which I assumed was "stalks corpses, occasionally poses a danger to the injured, can't afford to confront a room full of people".

Instead, the main complaints about it seem to be that it's killing AIs and shocking everyone. That's not so fun. But the concept does sound like a reasonable thing to have (especially if it was able to detect corpses in morgue trays and lockers).
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #119410

The biggest problem is that revenants aren't spooky. Transmit is really nice for a pseudo-RP role, but everything just reeks 'look, I can be a massive annoying cunt and entirely fuck over/stalk antagonists at my leisure!'

For instance, there was one time where the entire station was in our gang. We had it in our pocket. We threw up probably fifty trlilion walls in cargo around the dom, with me standing on top of it to defend it if it were to be breached.

Lo-and-behold, with 30 seconds left to dom, a revenant comes along, EMPs it twice, destroying the dominator and forcing us to restart the entire process. Furthermore, you only get two dominators. Fortunately I managed to kill the revenant in the process because he used EMP on top of me, but it's really not fun when you can't prevent it from happening. Kinda similar to how you can wreck a malf AI as a revenant.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #119501

Honestly, I would personally love replacing the revenant EMP with an ability that animated a single machine by using the ability while hovering over it. Granted, this would be abused by doing this in R&D, comms consoles, and the upload and borg consoles for maximum griff, but those could probably be added to a blacklist so that that kind of thing doesn't happen. Aside from that, a spoopy revenant shocking people in rooms while vending machines go and beat people up would be hilarious if also slightly OP due to how far the range is on their shock.

Speaking of their shock, it's actually fine. No really, it doesn't do a whole lot of damage UNLESS the engineers go hyper autism with power and put 999999999 watts in the grid and make it 2-shot anyone who gets hit due to the sheer amount of said power, with the stun just being annoying unless it dicks you over in front of a simple mob or antag. The range on that thing needs to be nerfed though, wow, it's ridiculous. I can spam out medbay to the point that nobody even comes in there, with it jumping between several people just compounding the problem whilst I sit in windows and spam my stuns. It's particularly bad when there are Xenos on station. Due to there being a light in surgery I just sat there shocking the doctors over and over again so the larva could pop in time and get out of the vents.

Going more in-depth on the EMP, fuck that thing. Really. Particularly dickish revenants will sit in the wall near the AI core and just spam it to death with EMP, with it being able to do nothing to save itself if the revenant isn't stupid and sitting out in the open for lasers to hit it. Other than that, it's okay, but the sheer griff is stupid, and I like revenants having an EMP in the first place, but it being usable on the AI core is not okay. A way to fix this would possibly be making the AI core tiles blessed as if via chaplain if you don't feel like designing and balancing a new ability for revenant.

One last thing, and sorry for the wall of text, but why do revenants put another player in control after one dies? I'm actually unsure if these are bugs or not, but I kept randomly dying as a revenant when low on essence (it isn't explained why you died, you just get an ear-grating noise then dedchat) and from there I was basically switching out with someone else for the rest of the round whenever one of us randomly died. The random dying appears to happen after you absorb one corpse then morph a power, where-upon you just die for seemingly no reason or damage taken because nothing is explained to you.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS