Changeling rounds are boring as hell

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Changeling rounds are boring as hell

Post by InsaneHyena » #121455

...if hell was boring, that is.

Please remove changeling rounds. They can drag on for hours, with changelings recalling again and again. Everybody hates pure changeling rounds. Traitorling is fun, yes, but without traitors, changelings are simply unfun.
Bring back papercult.

Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Re: Changeling rounds are boring as hell

Post by Amelius » #121457

They were removed until they were buffed.

I don't understand you people.

> Changeling rounds are boring.
> Okay we'll buff changelings.
> Changelings are OP. Nerf please.
> Complain when lings play more conservatively.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121460

to be honest i don't think changeling rounds are any more boring than traitor rounds
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #121462

op wordplay made me laugh

horrifying roundtype with a shit antag that is more or less an unstoppable killing machine, 100% uninteresting to play against healing/adrenal/armor'd things with rezzing and a channel nobody else can get
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #121465

I'm not even joking when I say we should just go back to parasting. It was a unique fear, and a unique "oh shit" stumbling over the husked bodies.

Now lings just "steal" dna by walking past people and sometimes go on retarded killing sprees.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #121466

agreed that the new changeling additions are op as fuck, i had four sec and i gunning one down yesterday and whenever we tried cuffing him he'd just melt out and when we tried killing him we fleshmended. that was some outright bullshit.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #121488

This is what you get for nerfing the Changeling armor and trying to nerf the fleshmend. I warned you.
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #121493

Amelius wrote:They were removed until they were buffed.

I don't understand you people.

> Changeling rounds are boring.
> Okay we'll buff changelings.
Buffing changelings doesn't suddenly make the round more fun.
lol
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #121494

Doritos wrote:
Buffing changelings doesn't suddenly make the round more fun.
Pretty much this.

Unstoppable turbomurdermachines is no better then shitlings - and even after the 2 nerfs, lings are still far better then they were before.
You can still use fleshmend to spacewalk naked forever, for example.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121506

lumipharon wrote:Unstoppable turbomurdermachines is no better then shitlings
this is completely subjective and i disagree strongly
having tough antags that can actually do shit without having to worry as much about dying is worlds more entertaining than changelings getting stunned, cuffed, and gibbed five minutes into the round and having pseudo-extended
Spoiler:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #121522

Kor wrote:I'm not even joking when I say we should just go back to parasting. It was a unique fear, and a unique "oh shit" stumbling over the husked bodies.

Now lings just "steal" dna by walking past people and sometimes go on retarded killing sprees.
This is the only real answer. Current ling as it stands is the equivalent of someone finding a hull breach and ten people, none of whom communicate and only a few of whom are engineers, trying to fix it with chairs and lockers and crates and bedsheets and whatever the fuck they can find, until the whole room's crowded and the hole's still there. How many fucking powers do lings have by now? 50?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #121527

I do not miss parasting.

A small prick and a burning sensation was the "Game Over, you're out of the round forever" notification for the longest time, and nowadays people will actively remove people from the round forever because they can.

This is the only game and community I know where a number of people are allowed to primarily focus on stopping other people from playing it, as often as they can get away with doing so.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #121535

If parasting comes back I'll probably just say fuck it and leave.

It was far worse than a simple parapen+c4, because a traitor pulling that can only do so X amount of times.
Changelings could and would do it to everyone on the server.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #121544

The problem is that the changeling concept is implemented in the wrong way.

The appeal of the changeling concept is that it is supposed to be an antag that is first weak and relies on stealth and trickery to eat crewmembers and becomes stronger by eating them. Then on a certain point it ate enough people and it becomes a serious threat to the station. Goon has a successfully implementation of this concept.

Now we just have extremely boring lings that have all their powers right from the start. Absorbing people is basically pointless unless you want to get rid of a body or reset your skills.

So what will once and for all solve the changeling antag:

1. Change changeling from a main antag to a side antag that has a chance of spawning in every gamemode.
2. Progression based antag. Absorbing people gives you more and stronger abillities.
3. Rebalance the ling abillities to this new situation. top tier powers should require a significant amount of absorbs but should be POWERFUL.

This way we can finally capitalize on what makes the changeling as a concept appealing. You will be able to become a badass killing machine, but you will have to work for it by absorbing people while you are weak. Changing to a side antag means that rounds do not get bogged down by lings playing stealh or just failing miserably, it also prevents every round from becoming a murderbone party full of lings. But when a ling DOES gain momentum and absorbs the station SHOULD be royally screwed. Not ascended shadowling screwed, but still very very much in trouble (but with change to fight back).
Last edited by CPTANT on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #121546

Changeling has always been a controversial game mode, more so than other game modes. We will never get a Changeling that will have more universal appeal, so I think we should just double down and pick a route to take with Changeling.

We should, in my opinion, just copy Goonstation's Changeling and use that. Their Ling is well made and does it role well, as described by Cptant.

That or just gut the whole game mode.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #121549

You can say burbling bullshit about skill or not "incentivizing murderbone" but from what I recall goon ling was an absolute terror.

Funny how having an effective sting, a ranged homing stun, being innately space proof and having an actual endgame reward of turning into a monster can do that.

The prohibition on the evolution mechanics makes no sense considering cult (well still constructs) and gang are still rewarded in a similar fashion.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #121573

I agree that a ling redesign in goon's direction would be god-tier. A slowly rising threat that has to engage in risky, vulnerable behaviour to increase in power, eventually culminating into a huge, singular threat to the station far above what a single changeling can accomplish right now. There's both risk and reward to playing well too.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #121574

Isn't that last bit basically ascended shadowlings, currently?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #121575

Are goon's fully juiced lings completely unkillable? I realize it is not the topic of this thread but i think sling would be more exciting if the shadowling was technically not invicible, just super hard to kill to the point of impossibility. So you have that faint hope of being able to pour enough fire into it to drive it off or even kill it, even if it is incredibly slim
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #121576

The goal of Goon's Changeling is to build up your DNA to the highest level you can.

At any moment a Changeling can transform into its Horror Form. The Horror Form is very powerful with many great advantages and several unique abilities, such as being able to instantly eat and kill a stunned target at will, a single Horror Form Ling can stun a entire room and quickly eat half the people in the room before they can get up.

The down side is that the Horror Form chews through your DNA stockpile like no one's businesses, so unless you spend a long time building up your DNA stock then you can only maintain your Horror Form for a limited time.

The ultimate end game of Goonling is to build up your DNA to a point where you can transform into, and maintain, your Horror Form. Having enough DNA to maintain it and use its abilties and hopefully eat people to maintain your DNA.

If you pop to quickly and go Horror you won't have enough DNA to do anything. If you run out of DNA as a Horror Form you get horribly stunned and forcibly reverted back to a Human form.

Horror Form's can be killed, but its very dangerous and hard to do alone.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #121577

Goonling's in Human form tend to be formidable in 1v1 but fail horribly against more than one person.

They have their own form of Parasting, which gives brain damage and knock you unconcious. However its not a instant affect and it won't silence you, meaning if your fast you might be able to scream out if you get stung.

Helmets block absorbing unless you remove them, but a toxic spit can do that.

EDIT: Hell here's their wiki page on their ling, just read that for a overview: http://wiki.ss13.co/Changeling
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #121581

CPTANT wrote:The problem is that the changeling concept is implemented in the wrong way.

The appeal of the changeling concept is that it is supposed to be an antag that is first weak and relies on stealth and trickery to eat crewmembers and becomes stronger by eating them. Then on a certain point it ate enough people and it becomes a serious threat to the station. Goon has a successfully implementation of this concept.

Now we just have extremely boring lings that have all their powers right from the start. Absorbing people is basically pointless unless you want to get rid of a body or reset your skills.

So what will once and for all solve the changeling antag:

1. Change changeling from a main antag to a side antag that has a chance of spawning in every gamemode.
2. Progression based antag. Absorbing people gives you more and stronger abillities.
3. Rebalance the ling abillities to this new situation. top tier powers should require a significant amount of absorbs but should be POWERFUL.

This way we can finally capitalize on what makes the changeling as a concept appealing. You will be able to become a badass killing machine, but you will have to work for it by absorbing people while you are weak. Changing to a side antag means that rounds do not get bogged down by lings playing stealh or just failing miserably, it also prevents every round from becoming a murderbone party full of lings. But when a ling DOES gain momentum and absorbs the station SHOULD be royally screwed. Not ascended shadowling screwed, but still very very much in trouble (but with change to fight back).
This is pretty much what changeling was before the removal of parasting and evolution system.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #121598

Kor wrote:I'm not even joking when I say we should just go back to parasting. It was a unique fear, and a unique "oh shit" stumbling over the husked bodies.

Parasting wasn't even that OP.
Sure they'd drag you off instantly but absorbing took a very long minute, plenty of time for someone to stumble across you.

The things that made parasting OP were the AI losing maint view when cameras were changed to LoS (this was a good change mind) and that a lot of jobs that did have maint access lost it.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #121600

>Instant stun and mute that lasted 5 minutes
>Not OP

Pick one.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #121604

>Antags are not allowed to win
>Antags must make the round fun

Pick one.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #121609

Perhaps the problem with the majority of our gamemodes is that they rely solely on the antagonists to actually make things happen and make them fun, instead of promoting internal conflict to make the round more interesting.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #121610

I want antags to make the round fun.
An instant stun and mute for 5 minutes isn't fun for anyone involved.

Even if you get saved in the process of the absorb, you're still sitting on the floor for the remainder of the sting.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #121611

Takeguru wrote:Even if you get saved in the process of the absorb, you're still sitting on the floor for the remainder of the sting.
Make the parasting cured by hugs. Solved.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #121616

But yeah, no, the re-addition of parastings would kill this game. They were removed for the reason of being the worst designed piece of shit that has ever hung its salty fucking chungus over the pool of slightly murky water that is /tg/ station.

Basically, they're shit, have always been shit, and always will be shit. If anyone seriously thinks that putting them back in the game would do any known form of good then I genuinely have no words.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #121618

Well if parasting would have the same effect as the sleepy pen currently has it wouldn't actually be so bad.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #121620

Changeling has been in dire need of a redesign for a long long time. Buffing/nerfing what we have right now really won't solve the problem.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #121625

Takeguru wrote:>Instant stun and mute that lasted 5 minutes
>Not OP

Pick one.
It was 40 seconds... git gud.

You know you could play smart and hang around in groups, or play it even smarter and get borged.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #121631

No, you're referring to the neutered parasting.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #121635

Old old parasting injected the victim with 20 units of zombie powder.
((((20 / [remove_reagent = 0.4] = 50 ticks) + 10 ticks of mute&stun from final reagent tick) = 60 ticks) * [tick_rate = 1.8] = 108 seconds) = still not five minutes bub.

Code: Select all

/client/proc/changeling_paralysis_sting()
	set category = "Changeling"
	set name = "Paralysis sting (30)"
	set desc="Sting target"

if(!usr.changeling)
		usr << "\red You're not a changeling, something's wrong!"
		return

var/list/victims = list()
	for(var/mob/living/carbon/C in oview(usr.changeling.sting_range))
		victims += C
	var/mob/T = input(usr, "Who do you wish to sting?") as null | anything in victims

if(T && T in view(usr.changeling.sting_range))

if(usr.stat)
			usr << "\red Not when we are incapacitated."
			return

if(usr.changeling.chem_charges < 30)
			usr << "\red We don't have enough stored chemicals to do that!"
			return

usr.changeling.chem_charges -= 30
		usr.changeling.sting_range = 1

usr << "\blue We stealthily sting [T]."

if(!T.changeling)
			T << "You feel a small prick and a burning sensation."

if (T.reagents)
				T.reagents.add_reagent("zombiepowder", 20)
		else
			T << "You feel a small prick."

usr.verbs -= /client/proc/changeling_paralysis_sting

spawn(5)
			usr.verbs += /client/proc/changeling_paralysis_sting

return

Code: Select all

zombiepowder
			name = "Zombie Powder"
			id = "zombiepowder"
			description = "A strong neurotoxin that puts the subject into a death-like state."
			color = "#669900" // rgb: 102, 153, 0

on_mob_life(var/mob/living/carbon/M as mob)
				if(!M) M = holder.my_atom
				M.status_flags |= FAKEDEATH
				M.adjustOxyLoss(0.5)
				M.adjustToxLoss(0.5)
				M.Weaken(10)
				M.silent = max(M.silent, 10)
				M.tod = worldtime2text()
				..()
				return

Del()
				if(holder && ismob(holder.my_atom))
					var/mob/M = holder.my_atom
					M.status_flags &= ~FAKEDEATH
				..()
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #121638

Zilenan91 wrote:But yeah, no, the re-addition of parastings would kill this game. They were removed for the reason of being the worst designed piece of shit that has ever hung its salty fucking chungus over the pool of slightly murky water that is /tg/ station.

Basically, they're shit, have always been shit, and always will be shit. If anyone seriously thinks that putting them back in the game would do any known form of good then I genuinely have no words.
I think people like you are what kills varied game play.

Antagonists are not duelists they don't have an obligation to be fair 1v1.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #121641

So wait, people are actually upset they have to work together in a game that requires cooperation for the station to survive?

Bring back parasting. Yeah it's BS If you're alone, but then you'd fear being alone when someone shouts "LINGS" over radio. That's the whole point of "Lings should be able to 1v1", you're gonna get assblasted if you're alone and unprepared.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #121647

> People actually want parasting back

Top lel. I say bring it back just to see how long it takes them to eat their words
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #121657

I was against parasting removal before it was removed. This newling design stupidity from being a total failure at the start to being boring to what? Being near indestructible if played properly* but still boring?

Oldling wasn't much good either but no golden era nonsense please newling is a disgrace.

*With a mostly cookie cutter build because only a few non stupidly shit abilities shine even with 4x regen.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #121659

Incomptinence wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:But yeah, no, the re-addition of parastings would kill this game. They were removed for the reason of being the worst designed piece of shit that has ever hung its salty fucking chungus over the pool of slightly murky water that is /tg/ station.

I think people like you are what kills varied game play.

Antagonists are not duelists they don't have an obligation to be fair 1v1.

>varied gameplay
>walking down the hallway
>A burning sensation
>dragged into maint
>cuffed
>headset removed
>never have any chance to fight back or do literally anything to stop this

What the fuck are you talking about for real dude. Parastings and stuns in general are the opposite of engaging gameplay.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #121666

Well we still have stuns like we have for years so I don't know why you are still here.

Try thinking about other people too, their engaging experience is trying to avoid the well deserved dunking you got. When I die I sometimes like to watch the round and see how everyone is doing.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #121668

Oldling/parapen days were awful, but in retrospect also pretty hilarious.

Everyone had this fear of human contact bordering on the insane.
Being in a room alone with someone was to be avoided at all costs.
Anyone who tried to get anywhere near you were to be shot, and shot again.

It was shitty, but it also very much embodied the whole 'paranoia/death at anytime' thing SS13 is supposed to be.

Also voice activated nades were fucking hilarious in oldling, since when the parasting wore off, although you can't talk while choked, you CAN whisper.

Also normal stuns are not comparable to parasting. There is no way to see it coming, and it's an utter GGnore.
With stuns, 99% of them are visible before hand, and you can still scream for help/get the AI to bolt everything down, unless they invest in a way to silence you also.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121695

CPTANT wrote:2. Progression based antag. Absorbing people gives you more and stronger abillities.
while this could fix the problems a lot of people have with changeling, it also has a lot of problems in and of itself
the main one being that our code maintainers will never allow anybody to add that to the game
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #121704

Given how code maintainers have handled ling they are plainly inept in regards to the subject.

It is best I think to talk about their prohibited directions for ling because they are probably the things that would work.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #121710

Trying goon ling doesn't sound bad to be honest - our ling has been such a shitfest for so long (changling design is more of a changling then the actual antag), it really couldn't hurt.

Maybe not as a full game mode, but as a side anag (datum antags when), having a pararaping monster could be cool.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #121724

What Lumi said, I think trying out Goonling as a first step would be a good way forward. Their interpretation of Changeling is really the better one in my opinion.

Also it would be something new, and we don't have to get stuck arguing like idiots over OLDLING VS NEWLING: PARASTING EDITION.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #121733

Their knockout/braindamage sting is close enough to parasting to trigger whining tho. You know that rather have half the crew killed instead of personally losing mentality.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #121736

Then just make it zombie powder but without the silence mechanic, so you have barely a few seconds to react. Meaning people who are quick to react could call for help before being knocked out for 40 to 60 seconds.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #121739

Aren't goonlings the ones with the 2-minute stub magic missiles that do nothing ever but hide near airlocks, stun, and drag into space?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #121740

I think that being an improvement is exactly the point.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #121747

I wouldn't DIRECTLY copy goons ling, but the concept is way better.