Shadowlings (Gamemode suggestion/replacement)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Re: Shadowlings (Gamemode suggestion/replacement)

Post by Phalanx300 » #63394

Bottom post of the previous page:

Or maybe once the Shadowling ascends all his thralls will stop being humans and instead turn into shadowpeople, now also taking damage in the light:

Since Shadowlings will get a unique look right? Or will they use this look?
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #63554

Phalanx300 wrote:-snip-
In the current stage, shadowlings use the mutant race sprite. However, once they Hatch, they have items like the golem that prevent them from equipping anything else. Most likely this will have its own sprite.

I made a poll to determine what happens when the shadowling Ascends - vote here. http://strawpoll.me/3502801/r
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #63609

Voting for Other, I think thralls should take the shadowpeople mutant race like Phalanx said
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #63912

I've hit a roadblock here and want to know what you guys think.

I've gotten very far - the gamemode is functional, and so is the antagonist (some minor bugs aside). However, I can't do anything else without functional abilities, and I scrapped my earlier iteration of them since they didn't work. So here's what I want feedback on: how should the abilities be handled? So far I have three main options:

1. Mob procs (like innate communication in cultists)
2. Spells
3. A proc holder in the player mind itself, similar to changeling

Each of these obviously have their ups and downs, but the latter two would require either tons of effort or hacky code to get working. I'm leaning toward mob procs for now - what do you guys think?
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #63974

Whatever works best for you.

I personally think something like a spell system might be more user friendly though.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #63979

I thought as much, for the cooldown indicators and whatnot. It'll be tough to work out, but I'll see if it might work.

EDIT (FEBRUARY 2): I apologize for the lack of progress updates - just remember that I am still working on it.
Hellafied
Byond Username: The-White-Crayon

Post by Hellafied » #67178

Holy fuck i love this idea. I just imagine Safe zones with flashlight everywhere. God its like the first Alien movie. I cant wait to see this happen. But i think you could maby make it where sunglasses make it take slightly less damage in the light? and it should be able to pry open doors once it has evolved.
Image ImageImage
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #67742

Hellafied wrote:Holy fuck i love this idea. I just imagine Safe zones with flashlight everywhere. God its like the first Alien movie. I cant wait to see this happen. But i think you could maby make it where sunglasses make it take slightly less damage in the light? and it should be able to pry open doors once it has evolved.
Prying open doors can be done, but not the sunglasses. Evolved shadowlings have undroppable but protective armor (similar to adamantine golems) and their skin is sensitive to the light.

On a more general note: I've been hard at work with this. Currently I'm trying to get the antagonist flags to work - if I can do that, the gamemode will be in a workable state.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #67791

Xhuis wrote:
Hellafied wrote:Holy fuck i love this idea. I just imagine Safe zones with flashlight everywhere. God its like the first Alien movie. I cant wait to see this happen. But i think you could maby make it where sunglasses make it take slightly less damage in the light? and it should be able to pry open doors once it has evolved.
Prying open doors can be done, but not the sunglasses. Evolved shadowlings have undroppable but protective armor (similar to adamantine golems) and their skin is sensitive to the light.

On a more general note: I've been hard at work with this. Currently I'm trying to get the antagonist flags to work - if I can do that, the gamemode will be in a workable state.

I VOLUNTEER FOR TESTING!
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Hellafied

Post by Hellafied » #67803

Bombadil wrote:
Spoiler:
Xhuis wrote:

I VOLUNTEER FOR TESTING!
I second that.
Image ImageImage
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #67804

Haha, I'll see what I can do. Generally it doesn't seem like it'll be hard to do but if the admins agree to have a few trial runs on one of the servers then we can see (I honestly don't see a server hosted by myself working out well).
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #67805

How would this work for an ability?
Consuming void: while on a pitch black or near pitch black tile the shadowling has the ability to turn into a black hole in the floor. Anyone that touches it gets stuck in it and the shadowling starts devouring them, dealing about 15 damage every 5 seconds. The shadowling can move around while in this form so it could lurk in the shadows, snatch an unsuspecting assistant, and drag its poor hapless victim flailing and screaming into a maint shaft, never to be seen again. It does have some limitations though. A powerful light source such as a flare can disrupt the power, forcing the shadowling back into its normal form and freeing its victim. This won't work with PDAs or lighters though
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #67814

Xhuis wrote:Haha, I'll see what I can do. Generally it doesn't seem like it'll be hard to do but if the admins agree to have a few trial runs on one of the servers then we can see (I honestly don't see a server hosted by myself working out well).
I don't see there being any issues with getting it onto a server for a trial run. Bigger changes have been put up for trials with far less care recently, after all.

Looking forward to this.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #67827

Violaceus wrote:Make shadowling able to create dense darkness walls, however they vanish if someone brings light.
....So they're pretty much useless? Literally every crew member has a flashlight built into their PDA.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #67832

Testing won't be that hard to do. If its made a full game mode in game it can be made the mode for the round by a admin, also it should be possible for a admin to turn someone into a Shadowling.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #67841

mikecari wrote:
Violaceus wrote:Make shadowling able to create dense darkness walls, however they vanish if someone brings light.
....So they're pretty much useless? Literally every crew member has a flashlight built into their PDA.
Maybe give it the ability to knock out electronic light sources? Also make it cause flashlights and shit to flicker and spark a couple of times before burning out and becoming useless for maximum spookyness. As far as just shoving a lit lighter in your pocket, the ability would just blow it out. Aside from flares and fires the crew would have to create torches (jumpsuit+rod+alcohol) that would burn out after several minutes to counteract it
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67900

Torches, I think, are wood plus...uh. Lettuce?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #67982

Kinda off topic, but lit lighters should set the user on fire. They are kinda OP since you have something to ignite a flammable object with at all times in your pocket. Hell, I filled a backpack watertank with 50-50 pepperspray-welding fuel and had lit lighters in my pocket and I killed fuckboys easy.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #68034

Lighters are for babies. Use a welder or an esword, it will light the enemy on fire if they are covered in flammable fluid but will also do a lot of damage.
Hellafied

Post by Hellafied » #68109

Jacough wrote: Aside from flares and fires the crew would have to create torches (jumpsuit+rod+alcohol) that would burn out after several minutes to counteract it
I like this idea, make be able to use things with different burn times, paper being a minute? bed sheet being five? Maby wood planks to as ten?
Image ImageImage
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #68142

I don't see the point in adding tons of light sources just for one gamemode. Torches are already in the game, so that's out of the question. The main defense against shadowlings is weaponized light, i.e. flashbangs and lasers. Of course, they also take more burn damage. Some light sources will not be extinguished by the shadowling's ability that does so; namely, non-mechanical ones (like flares).
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #68185

I think the Shadowling simply slowing losing health while in light is a fair counter.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #68186

So, in short, any light source that is ridiculously weak or burns out on its own the lings can't do jack against. Seems fair.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #68337

Is anyone actually coding this?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #74728

Wasn't that obvious?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #78068

hey guys, just an update, check this out

xhuis has said in his PR that he's in the bug testing and fixing stage of development, meaning it's very nearly done
get hyped
Spoiler:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #78925

HYPEtrain is engaged, leaving the station.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #78929

get haip ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )
also, hate to dampen your spirits, but there's a pretty big amount of stuff that i still need to do
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #78946

Xhuis wrote:get haip ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )
also, hate to dampen your spirits, but there's a pretty big amount of stuff that i still need to do
damnit Xhuis, there are no brakes on the HYPETRAIN
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #81581

Spoiler:
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #81659

IDS HABBEDING
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #81660

shadowling has been merged
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #81661

> the one time in history that someone's suggestion for a game mode is actually created

Bravo. Now to wait for people to decry it as being too powerful. Great work though.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #81663

Minor feedback but I still think the biggest problem that people will bring up is not being able to easily distinguish between tiles that are lit and those that are not.
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #81665

Biggest problem I see is everyone having a night vision after 10 minutes, removing a lot of the spooky
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #81669

Xhuis wrote:shadowling has been merged
/TG/ gets shit done

What weight is the game-mode set to?

Also: Edited wiki page to remove "not in game" flag.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #81684

Shadowling is set to weight 2 (same as nuke op, cult, and rev)
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #81686

Can all professions spawn as shadowling, or is it restricted like other antags (no captain/security)?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #81687

Luke Cox wrote:Can all professions spawn as shadowling, or is it restricted like other antags (no captain/security)?
Depends on the config.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #81689

Xhuis wrote:Shadowling is set to weight 2 (same as nuke op, cult, and rev)
I've asked MSO to set it to 0 just until we can run a couple of rounds to make sure it won't break the game.

But no, you have the round probabilities all wrong. We don't use the default values. They are currently:

blob = 5
changeling = 1
traitorchan = 9
double_agents = 3
traitor = 9
cult = 3
extended = 1
gang = 1
malfunction = 3
meteor = 0
monkey = 0
nuclear = 6
revolution = 3
sandbox = 0
raginmages = 0
wizard = 6
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #81691

Ikarrus wrote:xhuis is a shitlord who doesn't know anything
All righto, sorry that I was mistaken about that.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #81692

No worries, but the information will help when it comes time to decide what weight it should have.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #81693

Finally got merged huh? Well thats great, i guess. Still have my reservations about the game mode, but ill look forward to giving it a shot.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #81760

This mode is very nice, but it's sadly for 30+ players only. Have you considered adding some kind of scaling to make it playable on lower pops aswell?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #81761

At 20 pop Basil loved their first round.
:+1:

Look into scaling it for Basiltier pop, we shouldn't have to force the mode to play it.
私は完璧
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #81768

I'm going to move this to feedback now that it's been merged.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #81772

I noticed that admin spawned shadowlings can't enthral.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #81783

Just finished a 1:30 round with 30 pop and a few suggestions

1.Give enthralled people an icon because it's really hard to keep track of 10+ people.

2.Remove simple mobs from the enthralled list, can't actually convert them but they show up in the menu and reset the CD if you pick them.

Pretty fun gametype, killed three deathsquads all at once with the final freeze ability. Maybe lower the required amount to 10? And what happens if a shadowling tries to enthrall someone enthralled by a different ling?

Edit: Also I don't think Veil turns off pda lights, don't know if that's intended.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #81789

Also, enthralled people could use some minor night vision.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #82009

Can we get a separate feedback thread.

Anyway

1. Thralls should be shadow people. They can cover themselves in clothing to hide it at a glance. If this is too harsh, then making their eyes red would be a neat solution that could be covered up.
2. Thralls need nightvision
3. There should be a cap on the number of people who can be converted while the shadowling is in it's human form to prevent straight rev tactics
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #82011

Stickymayhem wrote:Can we get a separate feedback thread.

Anyway

1. Thralls should be shadow people. They can cover themselves in clothing to hide it at a glance. If this is too harsh, then making their eyes red would be a neat solution that could be covered up.
2. Thralls need nightvision
3. There should be a cap on the number of people who can be converted while the shadowling is in it's human form to prevent straight rev tactics
Said cap would HAVE to be higher than the required amount for the shadowling to ascend.
Otherwise the gamemode literally breaks.
私は完璧