Shadowlings (Gamemode suggestion/replacement)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: Shadowlings (Gamemode suggestion/replacement)

Post by Remie Richards » #82011

Bottom post of the previous page:

Stickymayhem wrote:Can we get a separate feedback thread.

Anyway

1. Thralls should be shadow people. They can cover themselves in clothing to hide it at a glance. If this is too harsh, then making their eyes red would be a neat solution that could be covered up.
2. Thralls need nightvision
3. There should be a cap on the number of people who can be converted while the shadowling is in it's human form to prevent straight rev tactics
Said cap would HAVE to be higher than the required amount for the shadowling to ascend.
Otherwise the gamemode literally breaks.
私は完璧
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #82013

It'd be cool if mutant races with light mechanics (shadows and potatoes) could [partially] negate their benefits/drawbacks by wearing clothing with a lot of coverage. We DO have flags for coverage. So a shadowling could walk around in light more comfortably so long as itwas in an outfit that covered most/all of its skin from the light and a potato person would heal better if they exposed more flesh.

Might be resource intensive though, also it'd need to be balanced obviously.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #82015

Remie Richards wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:Can we get a separate feedback thread.

Anyway

1. Thralls should be shadow people. They can cover themselves in clothing to hide it at a glance. If this is too harsh, then making their eyes red would be a neat solution that could be covered up.
2. Thralls need nightvision
3. There should be a cap on the number of people who can be converted while the shadowling is in it's human form to prevent straight rev tactics
Said cap would HAVE to be higher than the required amount for the shadowling to ascend.
Otherwise the gamemode literally breaks.
I said in their human form.

So they have to go shadowling form before they convert the entire station.

A cap of two or three thralls would be fine, then the cap gets lifted when they turn into the shadowbeast
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #82044

human form -> Hatched form -> Hiroshima form
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #82211

I will introduce a cap on the amount of thralls the shadowlings can have before they hatched.
I may give thralls a unique sprite/race, but night vision is impossible. I have tried everything and there is no way short of forcing them to wear a nodrop item.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #82218

I still think the Shadowlings abilities are way too overgeared for an antag that can create an army of undetectable thralls. Why not make thralls some kind of black husk/zombie with night vision? They can attack and heal in darkness but cannot use weapons or change their gear.

At the very least make it possible to detect thralls.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #82225

Xhuis wrote:I will introduce a cap on the amount of thralls the shadowlings can have before they hatched.
I may give thralls a unique sprite/race, but night vision is impossible. I have tried everything and there is no way short of forcing them to wear a nodrop item.
There is a bugged nightvision spell. Maybe ask someone to help fix it?
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #82233

It's in the statue mob, and last I checked it wasn't bugged.

But yeah intrinsic effects are far preferable to extrinsic stuff you have to wear because while nodrop is the shit, it can't protect against every possible case. Look to golems for a success story on making cumbersome extrinsic effects intrinsic.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #82237

I love that thralls are difficult to test for. That said, there needs to be a slow but surefire means to test for them. I was thinking of a sun lamp or something similar, probably kept in botany storage. Thralls held under it will sizzle.
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Post by Poorman » #82239

Thralls need a method of testing or deconversion

Dealing with a Shadowling might be difficult, but if there is no way to actually save a thrall outside of borging, there's going to be a lot of dead people killed off due to paranoia.

Well, dealing with a Shadowling isn't difficult. All you have to do is walk around maint with a flare and you're fucking untouchable.

Really not a well implemented gamemode overall. I'd rather see coders work on improving the current gametypes in rotation instead of adding these half-baked ideas or goon ports.

But then again,

>expecting things from coders
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #82242

Poorman wrote:Thralls need a method of testing or deconversion

Dealing with a Shadowling might be difficult, but if there is no way to actually save a thrall outside of borging, there's going to be a lot of dead people killed off due to paranoia.

Well, dealing with a Shadowling isn't difficult. All you have to do is walk around maint with a flare and you're fucking untouchable.

Really not a well implemented gamemode overall. I'd rather see coders work on improving the current gametypes in rotation instead of adding these half-baked ideas or goon ports.

But then again,

>expecting things from coders
I think the Shadowling being relatively weak in direct combat and having to rely on minions is what makes the gamemode unique. If there is a deconversion method, it has to be slow and inconvenient or sec will just go around using it on everyone after the first report of a shadowling. Going off what I said in my last post, perhaps thralls will start to sizzle after a random amount of time and take burn damage. They deconvert when they go into crit from burn damage specifically.
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Post by Poorman » #82292

I just don't see a reason why thralls are specifically not able to be deconverted.

Cultists can be deconverted, revs can be deconverted. It's got the potential to turn the round into sec vs everyone else deathmatch.

Fuck, loyalty implants are completely ignored too, for some reason. Why the fuck would an ancient blood ritual of an unbelievably powerful dark god not beat a loyalty implant, but staring into their eyes for a few minutes will?

It also sort of fucks up the paradigm that sec and the captain can't really be antagonists. They can't be antags, can't be converted due to the loyalty implant. Honestly, that bothers me just because of how it clashes with the general rule of thumb of the game.

Then again, it'd just be another cult or another rev if sec couldn't be converted. Honestly, the only unique thing is the shadowling itself, and while it might seem new and unique for a round type, it's actually really shallow.

Give shadowlings stun immunity and health regeneration while in the dark, and a slight burn damage tick when in light sources. Give them their own reliable tool to disable lights, not relying on thralls to do it for them.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #82304

Poorman you don't have any idea what you're talking about. Shadowling already has everything you described.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #82305

Yeah Shadowlings do heal rapidly in the light and quickly take damage from any light source, in fact Shadowlings take double damage from any heat based weapons (Lasers, Wielders or Flashbangs).
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #82380

Shadowlings are a glass cannon. They're extremely fragile - three hits from a welder puts them into crit - and to balance that they have very powerful abilities. Enthralling works through implants for fluff reasons and also to keep them alive. In the future, I may add deconversion methods, but it doesn't seem likely.

Also, Poorman, don't get upset that I'm not doing everything you want. I've been pushing out fixes, updates, and features for this gamemode for almost a week now and I'd rather you weren't an ass over it.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #82429

Shadowlings shouldnt be able to kill themselves with that vortex ability.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #82432

Septavius wrote:Shadowlings shouldnt be able to kill themselves with that vortex ability.
I think that's the point, once a Shadowling has ascended I can only think of the Vortex and maybe the Singularity that can kill a Shadowling.
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #82433

Pretty sure Nar Sie can turn them into constructs but the chance of that happening is low.
Last edited by Septavius on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #82436

I guess Pete-ing an Ascendant out of existence would make sense as well. It is, after all, a massive, deadly overdose of light and fire for anyone within range.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #82438

Amusingly not even the ERT or Deathsquad could stop a Ascended Shadowling, according to the code they have 10,000 health.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #82440

If they somehow, SOMEHOW managed to unload their pulse rifles into a 'ling without giving it a chance to heal, it would die.

Assuming squidguns are back to 80 rounds or more.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #82441

Pulse rifle rounds deal 50 burn damage to a target.

Assuming Ascended Shadowlings still retain the double heat damage trait than one pulse rifle round will deal 100 burn damage. Thus it would take around 100 pulse rifle rounds to kill a Ascended Shadowling.

Its theoretically possible, but the sheer power of the Shadowling would easily kill a Deathsquad well before they land 100 rounds.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #82444

Wonder how well their abilities work on mechs - if mechs go ling-hunting in the early stages, that ling is fucked, right?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #82464

Steelpoint wrote:Pulse rifle rounds deal 50 burn damage to a target.

Assuming Ascended Shadowlings still retain the double heat damage trait than one pulse rifle round will deal 100 burn damage. Thus it would take around 100 pulse rifle rounds to kill a Ascended Shadowling.

Its theoretically possible, but the sheer power of the Shadowling would easily kill a Deathsquad well before they land 100 rounds.
Even then, you're screwed. Ascended Shadowlings have infinity damage resist.

Not like,100% or something.

INFINITY
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #82465

Do they process reagents when in ascended form? If there was some way to inject them with {chemistry deathmix}, that might work. Maybe.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #82470

We are going to need to find a way to make the Ascendants exempt from the Lord British Postulate.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #82474

Incoming wrote:It'd be cool if mutant races with light mechanics (shadows and potatoes) could [partially] negate their benefits/drawbacks by wearing clothing with a lot of coverage. We DO have flags for coverage. So a shadowling could walk around in light more comfortably so long as itwas in an outfit that covered most/all of its skin from the light and a potato person would heal better if they exposed more flesh.

Might be resource intensive though, also it'd need to be balanced obviously.
You're probably looking at around half a dozen checks per tick.
Plus fire suit/gas mask/helmet, or biosuits, or space suits, would give full coverage. Full coverage would be too commonly available.

So the benifits couldn't be too high, because of the commonality of coverage, and processing intensity of it, its probably not worth it.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #82508

DemonFiren wrote:We are going to need to find a way to make the Ascendants exempt from the Lord British Postulate.
People will figure it out eventually.

Also, Shadowlings right now are super dependent on cablecuffs. That's not BAD per se from a game balance perspective, but it's kind of thematically dissonant for a shrieking horror of the night to paralyze you with it's horrifying gaze.... and then slap zip-ties on your wrists. Can we maybe give them some sort of spooky shadow cuffs?
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #82516

TheNightingale wrote:Do they process reagents when in ascended form? If there was some way to inject them with {chemistry deathmix}, that might work. Maybe.
Ascended shadowlings are simplemobs. That's how the Xenobio Ascension trick worked before it was fixed in the last server update.
omnitricks

Post by omnitricks » #82562

Its good that the endgame calls a fast shuttle immediately but it feels more like murderboner the crew instead of the crew even having a slim chance of fighting back. Right now I think the ling has to walk into its own thingymabob and kill itself or lord singuloth has to come into the picture. Can there be more ways to kill the shadowling? Like maybe needing xray lasers (since its the highest requirement r&d weapon), ridiulously high powered bombs. Even if the intention is being unable to get them get killed maybe allow some way to stun/slow them down so the crew still has a chance to escape if they are prepared/coordinated enough.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #82566

Shadowling hatched brains should be bio 8, and that should let science make Ghost Traps to slow down the ascendants.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #82571

omnitricks wrote:Its good that the endgame calls a fast shuttle immediately but it feels more like murderboner the crew instead of the crew even having a slim chance of fighting back. Right now I think the ling has to walk into its own thingymabob and kill itself or lord singuloth has to come into the picture. Can there be more ways to kill the shadowling? Like maybe needing xray lasers (since its the highest requirement r&d weapon), ridiulously high powered bombs. Even if the intention is being unable to get them get killed maybe allow some way to stun/slow them down so the crew still has a chance to escape if they are prepared/coordinated enough.
I don't think their should be a way to fight back once shadowling ascends. You had your chance to fight back, and it was "Don't let the shadowlings get 15 thralls".

That said, it'd be nice if shadowling ascendants hand some sort of shadow blast or something, since right now, you just appear, gib someone, hypnotize someone/freeze everyone, disappear, lather rinse repeat. Something to fill the time between implosion cooldowns.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #82614

Yeah, ascended shadowlings are like Nar'Sie, they're not really fight back-able except for singulo.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #82633

So whats going on with light sources? I was screwing around on a test server and tried to use Veil + Strip someone loaded up with light sources. After stripping them and dragging them away, i was still being damaged. Turns out the character was emitting light without wearing anything...

http://i.imgur.com/SoyOb7X.png

Also Veil doesnt turn off helmet lights. Including hardsuit helmet lights.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #82640

Probably a bug involving the light radiance cap, there was something like this a while back.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #82652

Yeah. I have played only one game of shadowling so far, but my biggest problem was distinguishing where light was and where it wasn't. What if Ling had different vision, showing light in more distinguishable colour hue?

And the scroll-menu targeting for stun has to go, it's unwieldy as fuck. It was in ling, and it is in shadowling. Need alt+click. But it's an easy fix.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #82765

Alex Crimson wrote:So whats going on with light sources? I was screwing around on a test server and tried to use Veil + Strip someone loaded up with light sources. After stripping them and dragging them away, i was still being damaged. Turns out the character was emitting light without wearing anything...

http://i.imgur.com/SoyOb7X.png

Also Veil doesnt turn off helmet lights. Including hardsuit helmet lights.
Your branch probably isn't updated. This should be fixed in the latest version.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #82993

It isn't. Veil works inconsistently on PDA lights, and it didn't disable the flash light attached to egun. At one point I kept receiving damage from a PDA with disabled flashlight too.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #83024

Currently a fix up for issues with lights. There's also so many light sources in the game that finding them all is difficult.
Saltycut
Byond Username: Saltycut

Post by Saltycut » #86007

Lumbermancer wrote:Yeah. I have played only one game of shadowling so far, but my biggest problem was distinguishing where light was and where it wasn't. What if Ling had different vision, showing light in more distinguishable colour hue?

And the scroll-menu targeting for stun has to go, it's unwieldy as fuck. It was in ling, and it is in shadowling. Need alt+click. But it's an easy fix.
I have just played my first round as shadowling and I have the same observations as Lumbermancer.
1. Not being able to distinguish between light and darkness. You can't turn off night vision and there is no light indicator so you have to basicialy memorize which areas still have lights or advance slowly tile by tile and fall back when you start taking damage since you can use veil only every 25 seconds. This heavily promotes late hatch too.
2. Having to use a list-menu when using glare/enthrall. Very inconvenient, menu also includes npc's like spiders etc.

Other than that this game mode seems really interesting. Will try to give more feedback if I get the chance to play it some more.
Femstation 5ever
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #86010

Are there any plans to give them a new name?

Shadowling sounds like slang, and they don't really resemble changelings very much either game mechanic wise or "lore" wise (magic powers, ascending into a god, tsking ovet minds etc). Not a huge deal either way, but I think they've evolved into a completely distinct antagonist
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86118

What do we call them, then? Edgeknightmares?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #86134

DemonFiren wrote:What do we call them, then? Edgeknightmares?
Night Mares. Ascended shadowlings have hooves.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #86145

Keep your brony fetish out of my spessmens, thanks
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86163

Nightmare wuld be more fitting for Revenants (spirit that fucks with your head and is a general asspain) as opposed to Shadowling (alien being that fucks with everything and is an eldritch asspain.)

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #87002

Shadowlings were meant to be the slang term used by Nanotrasen because they don't have a better name for them. They lurk in the shadows and seem to be born of them. Shadow Ling.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #87174

A new, better name would be nice. Shadowling sounds like the codename for the idea.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #87313

Bionocilumic Hunters :)
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #87322

Shadow Ops, or maybe Shadow Cult Leaders.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #87342

Xhuis wrote:Shadowlings were meant to be the slang term used by Nanotrasen because they don't have a better name for them. They lurk in the shadows and seem to be born of them. Shadow Ling.
Ling still doesn't make sense, Shadow Thing could work in a very lazy way.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #87345

Why don't we look for more mythical or latin to give the Shadowling?

Something like 'Shirobozu' or 'Acerbus'.

I don't know, spitball something up.