In this thread we brainstorm NTSL replacements

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

In this thread we brainstorm NTSL replacements

Post by bandit » #123364

NTSL was removed by MSO because it could be used to crash the server. It isn't coming back, as far as I understand. And it was a buggy mess anyway.

This thread is to brainstorm design and code ideas to replicate its functionality with the tcomms machines and not 'lol insert whatever game crashing script you like'.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: In this thread we brainstorm NTSL replacements

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #123375

bandit wrote:NTSL was removed by MSO because it could be used to crash the server. It isn't coming back, as far as I understand. And it was a buggy mess anyway.

This thread is to brainstorm design and code ideas to replicate its functionality with the tcomms machines and not 'lol insert whatever game crashing script you like'.
Some sort of controller, which R&D can make upgrade boards to plug into, and then there's a machine which can turn the upgrades on/off and modify them

Example boards: "Name Suffix", "Name Prefix","Name Modifier","Speech Controller"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #123378

The problem with ntsl (besides of course crashing the server) was that was way too powerful and time consuming to use for what practical use it had. To replace 90% of the practical functions ntsl had you only need some specific programming blocks.

Replace word.
replace source.
add word.
delete word.
mute person.

check source.
check if message contains word x.

toggle parts of the scripts.

That is virtually the entirety of practical application for the entire system. Make a simple (graphical) replacement based around those functions. You will be trading flexibillity for the ability to actually get something done without either copying shit or spending more time scripting than the round takes.
Timberpoes wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #123380

one of the big problems was that it was 95% of the time just used to copypaste in a superscript somebody made, which was super lame.

also boards should be completely unable to loop, which is pretty hard to do. i had to remove recorder wires bc they could be used with VAs to crash/lag the server and I couldnt find a solution.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #123383

Since NTSL was removed for this server, anyone care to copy and paste said script that crashes the server

No, not so i can go fuck over servers whom i hold grudges on for reasons that are majorly my fault, thats just crazy talk.

--serious line--
You could have TCOMMS machines open up a interface that has pre-programmed options
(IE: Show Jobs - Show Jobs Shortened - Pirate Talk - Olden talk) then if you emag it, it opens up (Speech Scramble, Replacing Words with other words, replacing traitor with friendly, ect ect.)
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #123390

NTSL was removed by MrPerson (MisterPerson), and merged by Aranclanos. MSO was working on a fix when this happened.

My uses for NTSL, as evidenced by me spending large amounts of time across several months on my script, are as follows:

- Word converter to support my RP style for AI.
- Prerecorded messages.
- Selective mute (Job and name) and all-muter which even disabled station bounced radios.
- Universal Translator.
- Remote Signaller.
- Radio frequency interceptor and transmitter. (Can include non-department frequencies as well, such as CMO's spy channel)
- Say verb changer. (hisses -> roars, and other fun verbs)
- Font changer. (I personally coded NTSL support for this)
- Radio name changer.
- Abbreviated Job indicator.
- Customized arrivals announcer. My script had this long before there was a machine added for it.
- Message timestamp and clock.

I may come off as arrogant as I say this, but I believe that no one has put more time into the actual scripts themselves than I have, and I am quite proud of the power and versatility of my script, even though it is a cobbled mess. Learning NTSL is what inspired me to code for this game as well. I was quite delighted to know that others wanted me to share my script and they enjoyed using it as well.

When Goofball added his silly fonts, and Miauw cleaned up saycode, I added support for those fonts and changing say verbs via the radio for NTSL. I feel as if I could have saved NTSL had I developed a fix before some coders starting whining about the exploit.

However, the deed is done, NTSL is dead and it is not coming back. All hope is lost on that end, regardless of if MSO has a fix or not. I would love to see something that would replicate the major functions of my script. It is a rather significant feature loss that I believe only I and a few others truly understand. If you seek to recover a few things that were lost in the removal, I would be happy to work with you. Being able to code something and have your changes take place before your eyes in the game is a powerful feeling, any coder here can relate.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #123394

tbh the only things worth salvaging are job IDs and maybe selective muting
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #123399

John_Oxford wrote: You could have TCOMMS machines open up a interface that has pre-programmed options
(IE: Show Jobs - Show Jobs Shortened - Pirate Talk - Olden talk) then if you emag it, it opens up (Speech Scramble, Replacing Words with other words, replacing traitor with friendly, ect ect.)
Honestly, that'd be like replacing the entire chemistry system with a heal chem, a poison chem, a fast chem, and a sleep chem.

Nothing bar a new scripting system could replace NTSL entirely.
And why does NTSL have to be permanently dead? If MSO finishes his fix, why can't NTSL be brought back?

Also, to people who are saying that NTSL is too time consuming for any normal person to use, have you ever actually looked at NTSL's syntax? It's easier than BASIC.

If we absolutely can't have NTSL back, I guess CPTANT's Scratch-esque drag and drop idea would be the second best option.
Don't forget to add signalling too, though. A lot of people forget that you could have NTSL scripts that set off bombs and stuff.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #123558

we ban people for any other delibrate server crash why remove a feature for just this source.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #123559

The Job ID showing in the radio was one of the better features of NTSL and I would enjoy if that was made standard for communications.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #123608

crashing wasn't the only reason ntsl was removed, nobody ever used it, the AI just copypasted the exact same script into it every single round.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #123618

Miauw wrote:crashing wasn't the only reason ntsl was removed, nobody ever used it, the AI just copypasted the exact same script into it every single round.
I always deleted MAGNI if I found it in the tcomms machines
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #123620

yeah well what are you going to do against it the ai can just copypaste it in again in like three seconds
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #123623

Miauw wrote:yeah well what are you going to do against it the ai can just copypaste it in again in like three seconds
and goodbye cams, hello replacescript that replaces 'AI' with 'Shitturdinabox'
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #123627

Job showing being standardized to the radio would be nice, but with full titles instead of abbv. drawn from ID

[Captain] [Security Officer] or with no ID, [Unknown]
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #123649

yeah because nerfing being able to disguise is a good idea rite
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #123650

Don't the ID's draw from what ID card your wearing?

If your not wearing someone's ID card then your disguise is already going to fail.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #123652

its not like you can set the voice on your mask independantly of your ID, or the fact that changelings get an ability that lets them do the same.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #123654

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Miauw wrote:crashing wasn't the only reason ntsl was removed, nobody ever used it, the AI just copypasted the exact same script into it every single round.
I always deleted MAGNI if I found it in the tcomms machines
the last time i did this, the AI bitched to sec and i got arrested
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #123666

Miauw wrote:yeah because nerfing being able to disguise is a good idea rite
I don't see how this is the case

If you are talking without a voice changer, you are already fucked.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #123672

always saying the id on your job on the radio basically makes voice changer masks and changeling mimic voice completely useless.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #123696

The way the job indicator worked in ntsl is it pulled your job info from the crew manifest based on your voice.
The only thing stopping ntsl features from getting implemented in an interface is that no one wants to actually code the UI for it.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #123721

palpatine213 wrote:The way the job indicator worked in ntsl is it pulled your job info from the crew manifest based on your voice.
The only thing stopping ntsl features from getting implemented in an interface is that no one wants to actually code the UI for it.
Sec records I think, not manifest
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #123725

i really didn't like NTSL, it felt kinda like telescience in that only people with OOC knowledge/applications (read: copypasted scripts) were able to gain an IC advantage from it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #123739

I don't think any replacement would be good. Either it would be too limited to do anything or only usable by 1% of users. And of course nothing can fix the "can crash the server" problem.
palpatine213 wrote:The only thing stopping ntsl features from getting implemented in an interface is that no one wants to actually code the UI for it.
This is also true. A computer screen where you could mute individual people would be good, although obviously that's no replacement.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #123781

W-why can't we have NTSL back? Building a compiler that doesn't go into infinite loops shouldn't be THAT hard. I mean, it's not tough in Java/C++/etc., so why is it so difficult here?

Yes, I'm aware of the problem that exists in that it's impossible to tell if a loop will terminate the next sequence or not, but there are plenty of artifical-esque solutions that would work fine here.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #123816

because like i just said it's more than a code issue
PKPenguin321 wrote:i really didn't like NTSL, it felt kinda like telescience in that only people with OOC knowledge/applications (read: copypasted scripts) were able to gain an IC advantage from it
with telescience it was the telesci calculator, and with NTSL it was the MAGNI script or whatever it was called
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #123930

Amelius wrote:W-why can't we have NTSL back? Building a compiler that doesn't go into infinite loops shouldn't be THAT hard. I mean, it's not tough in Java/C++/etc., so why is it so difficult here?

Yes, I'm aware of the problem that exists in that it's impossible to tell if a loop will terminate the next sequence or not, but there are plenty of artifical-esque solutions that would work fine here.
You're talking about solving the halting problem. That is literally impossible. Trying to detect a possible infinite loop is fine, but if it fails in one case, that's enough to make it worthless.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #123943

I think a module based approach with pre-made scripts loaded into the NTSL computer might be the best option. Just a list with pre made modules that can be turned on seperatly and have certain fields that can be adjusted. Like a replace words script in which you can adjust which words to replace. Or the selective mute script in which you can adjust the name of the person that can call it. That way people liking to script can still apply scripts for greenlighting and the rest of the players can make efficient use of these scripts in-game and without fear of breaking the server. This takes the OOC knowledge part out of the game since every script is available and you can use in-game reasoning to determine what script would be the most useful for you.

I would also give normal engineers acces btw, they already have access to the servers themselves and this might cause us to see some more juicy malicious use.
Timberpoes wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #123947

Tbh I sort of like the idea of boards. Just a few fun prefix/suffix/replace/mute boards, basic stuff.
Maybe reduce the access requirement on wherever you slot in the boards, too, so its more than the CE and AI.
DeutscherMajor
Byond Username: DeutscherMajor

Post by DeutscherMajor » #123960

PKPenguin321 wrote:i really didn't like NTSL, it felt kinda like telescience in that only people with OOC knowledge/applications (read: copypasted scripts) were able to gain an IC advantage from it
Pff, copypasted script.
I had the idea of writing a script and applying it as a drone that would replace all messages with "One l-one-three-k d-r-zero-n-three-five colon right-parenthesis" for that sweet gangban by all admins on the server.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #124269

palpatine213 wrote:The way the job indicator worked in ntsl is it pulled your job info from the crew manifest based on your voice.
well in that case yeah no reason not to have it.