Ludicrously short facehugger stun times

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Ludicrously short facehugger stun times

Post by WJohnston » #123758

So https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12163 got merged because I guess Razharas somehow didn't read that literally everybody was against this change and that it seemed to be a joke PR.

This PR cuts facehugger stun times down to 1 tick. This is a third the length of a telebaton stun, and in worst case scenarios will only make your model twitch for an instant (and drop your held items) before getting back up already. Then you can just pull the facehugger off and step on it (or ignore it completely because they have a 30 second or 1 minute cooldown before being able to leap again) and go on your merry way like nothing happened.

So I'd like to just list off a few reasons why this is completely ridiculous:

This PR was allegedly intended to make the whole drive-by hunter/facehugger throwing less effective. Ironically it completely failed at that because hunters do not actually really even rely that much on facehugger usage, and they can just leap in its place. So right away the PR failed at its job.

Next, this actually hurts early game xeno A LOT, and makes their power ramp even more vertical by virtue of their starting power being made even lower.
The starting queen massively relies on the facehugger's stun to ward off or catch low-hanging fruit (the idiots that run at the hive en-masse with no protection and only a wrench). This change means that they literally do not need any protection whatsoever to run into the hive and start piling on the queen faster than she can possibly keep them stunned. Basically we're regressing to the "disarm a nuke op, steal his c20r, murder every other nuke op in seconds" level of sillyness, but with xenos, and that's atrocious since at no other time can you simply melee xenos and be that careless.

Now, this is somewhat mitigated by https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12000 which gives the queen and praetorian a tail sweep attack to deal with the above mentioned swarming. This does not however work as a reliable replacement, as it has a 15 second cooldown and the stun isn't very long (weaken 5). Praetorians are also when you start moving to mid-game, the queen won't get to start with this and trade places while cooldowns recharge.

I'd like to remind everyone that facehuggers aren't even dangerous to start with, even with their old stun times. Seemingly half of the hats available on the station will COMPLETELY protect you from them. If you don't have protection, stay out of the fight and you'll be fine. This doesn't however justify just randomly gimping xenos this hard, because there will still be idiots running at you who will attempt to swarm you. Now you won't even have the facehuggers to give you some breathing room, time to secure people to nests, or watch your back.

Also this PR was merged, and for whatever reason won't be possible to revert for a week because that's a rule we have apparently? So we'll definitely see some playtesting of this without actually using MSO's playtesting system.
Last edited by WJohnston on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Ludicrously short facehugger stun times

Post by Zilenan91 » #123763

That really got merged. What the fuck raz. Xenos are dead now.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #123783

Aint that some shit. Why the fuck would you make it so you can take the hugger off before it plants the embryo? Seriously what the fuck why?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #123784

Removes driveby bullshit, makes xenos have to use nests
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #123785

> Nerfing a stun from by 1/20th.

Horrendous grudgecoding. How did this get merged, aliens are MEANT to be roundenders.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #123787

Scones wrote:Removes driveby bullshit, makes xenos have to use nests
WJohnston wrote:This PR was allegedly intended to make the whole drive-by hunter/facehugger throwing less effective. Ironically it completely failed at that because hunters do not actually really even rely that much on facehugger usage, and they can just leap in its place. So right away the PR failed at its job.
why do I even write these things if you don't read them
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #123792

I would like to know if Aran had played as a Human against a Alien prior to the PR being made.

As noted above this change essentially raises the skill cap for Aliens significantly in the early game. Queen's really relied on facehuggers to jumpstart a hive as they lack the speed to chase down Humans for implantation, now this change really demands that not only the Queen be very good in combat, but also be very lucky and get idiots charging her.

Mid to late game I don't think this change makes much of a difference. Its the early game this hurts.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #123795

I don't expect this to happen, but it would be nice if we could void the one week revert rule for this case due to it being merged without the majority consent of coderbus and the playerbase.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #123802

this is good, actually
now queens can't just drop facehuggers in maint and receive babbies, now they have to go find braindeads or actually robust someone

nice job aran
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #123806

yeah wjohn but i don't agree with you

perma-observing doesn't give you a great feel of how things work but hey this is your fetish content so who am i to speak on it
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #123809

Scones I play xenos constantly, that's the one thing I don't jump away from.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #123810

WJohnston wrote:
Scones wrote:Removes driveby bullshit, makes xenos have to use nests
WJohnston wrote:This PR was allegedly intended to make the whole drive-by hunter/facehugger throwing less effective. Ironically it completely failed at that because hunters do not actually really even rely that much on facehugger usage, and they can just leap in its place. So right away the PR failed at its job.
why do I even write these things if you don't read them
part of a driveby is getting away
when you leap, you move your entire body to the target
with facehuggers you barely had to glance at the target before it goes down and you're home free

anyways i'm okay with this change, it shouldnt change how xenos are played at all except that xenos will have to disarm somebody a single time when a facehugger gets on them
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #123811

You realize that hunters are sanic, right? They can EASILY get out of trouble after leaping. I also pointed out several times that while this doesn't affect late game stuff like hunters prowling around (they can just leap on people instead), it DOES majorly affect early game defense because your wall of facehuggers is no longer able to protect you at all. This means you can just run in completely unprotected and not care, and is going to mean that swarming a starting xeno hive is going to be a totally valid tactic (which is super shitty because that sucked with nuke ops in the past).
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #123822

enjoy never getting victims as a queen unless you can find monkeys, or people line up for your spit.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #123827

>stun somebody as Xeno
>slap a hugger on
>start dragging
>concentration wavers for .1 seconds
>he rips the hugger off and you're left with a dead hugger, your dick in the dirt, and him not implanted

Whyyyyyyyyy
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #123831

Although it has little effect on late game Xenos this severely crippled early game hive play. Not to mention you can completely negate this effect with a wide array of head equipment. If you're walking into a nest without headgear you deserve death.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #123840

wait... so there's a threat that I can't just walk up to with a fireaxe and beat to death? I'd actually need to... strategize? And work with other people?

nah lmao remove that shit too complex
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #123851

being able to wade in with a fireaxe and kill all the xenos is exactly the problem here.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #123868

Why leave the stun in at all when you are this salty it isn't like the aliens can pick up and move the gear you drop in 1 bloody game tick.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #123901

When I closed my dead broken PR and wrote "Closed to prevent yolomerge by raz", I didn't realise he'd get frustrated and merge something else instyead
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #123942

Don't worry guys, none of it will matter when I make facehuggers playable :P (I'm busy on the last few % of HoG, but soon!)
私は完璧
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #123952

If you don't want to get driveby by a xeno just wear a biohood or full face protection. Change is pretty stupid
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #123972

lumipharon wrote:enjoy never getting victims as a queen unless you can find monkeys, or people line up for your spit.
I'm just going to sidestep the whole "how bad a change is this" discussion and highlight this, because the monkey thing is absolutely going to become the new meta, even more than it was before. (Or corgis, I'm pretty sure you can still facehug them.)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #123976

That's the problem though, attacking genetics or viro is borderline suicide even WITH long-lasting stuns on facehuggers, because it'll take about 10 minutes to even GET those. You'll be dead long before that can happen unless the crew is disgustingly bad.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #124067

plz revert fam this nerf is smh

But yea, this is just dumb. I feel no reason to repeat the reasons already given in this thread. Should not have been merged due to massive player opposition, and should be reverted back out.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Absalom
Byond Username: Absalom526

Post by Absalom » #124242

Yeah this is just awful, please revert before it's too late.

>facehugger is still consumed even if they just rip it off
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #124260

Quit nerfing things that are made to be round ending for fucks sake.
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #124265

also misterperson stop deleting posts without explaining what was in it in an issue with as much rage as this it looks suspicious as fuck.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #124281

kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #124391

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12236

I dunno but either way it'll be funny.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #124513

Why are you trying to balance a game ender?
Last edited by MisterPerson on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed stuff directed @aranclanos
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #124528

tuypo1 wrote:also misterperson stop deleting posts without explaining what was in it in an issue with as much rage as this it looks suspicious as fuck.
Mostly people calling for aran's head without talking about the code change or why it's bad. Which is of course off topic, this is about the facehugger stun times, not how they were merged. If you have a problem with the behavior of a maintainer, I strongly encourage you or anyone else to take it straight to the current headcoder(s), which is right now just Cheridan.

Personal insults are not welcome here. Period.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #124531

DrPillzRedux wrote:Why are you trying to balance a game ender?
we need to determine once and for all if we want xenos to be a round ender or not because a lot of people think they aren't for some reason
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #124532

but those people dont get it
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #124736

I don't understand what is happening anymore

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12269
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #124742

Saegrimr wrote:I don't understand what is happening anymore

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12269
Can people please just accept nobody likes the facehugger nerf and move on?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #124745

Shouldn't there be some sort of oversight for this sort of thing
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #124757

Well it looks like this change is finally over, having apparently become a meme for its duration except nobody wanted it. At least we're back to old facehugger stun mechanics.

VICTORY.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #124807

WJohnston wrote:Well it looks like this change is finally over, having apparently become a meme for its duration except nobody wanted it. At least we're back to old facehugger stun mechanics.

VICTORY.
literally nothing changed, we did it digg
Spoiler: