Energy Guns: Stun Or Disable Edition

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should The Energy Gun Revert To Stun Rounds Or Keep Disable Rounds?

Disable
42%
Stun
54%
Abstain
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Energy Guns: Stun Or Disable Edition

Post by Steelpoint » #128112

Around a year ago many changes were effected to our ranged weapons, this feedback thread will focus on one of the biggest changes in the alterations made to the Energy Gun.

Before the change the Energy Gun was considered the most powerful round start on station weapon, this weapon could fire ten Laser or ten Stun rounds before exhausting.

A change was put up that changed the rifle to instead replace the ten stun rounds with twenty disable rounds, overall a nerf to the weapon as instead of the weapon being able to stun someone ten times, it could only at maximum stun five to seven people, depending on armour and rng.

The change was very controversial at the time, and since a year has passed since the rifles were changed I want to ask this question, and to see where we stand opinion wise on the gun.

"Should Energy Guns return back to their older Stun/Laser setting, or are the changes made to the guns good enough that they should remain as Disable/Laser?"

Your thoughts?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: Energy Guns: Stun Or Disable Edition

Post by imblyings » #128114

I felt it was an interesting choice where people could fill their backpacks up with disable/laser or disable/taser rather than having to choose between a taser or a direct upgrade over a taser.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #128115

Taking away EZ stun from energy gun was good. Made HoP and Captain way less powerful without raiding armory.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #128116

Good luck de-Paprika-ing this change. If you fail, there is always the Advanced Energy Gun. It is worth the investment!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128117

I just want to see what people think of the change and if we should keep it as is or return it.

I mean, if you want a wild card I could make two energy guns, one with disable and one with stun, but that's stupid and off topic.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #128128

Not really seeing them used in disable mode a lot anyway. If you are pushing the people who start with them enough they probably can get away with killing you anyway.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #128134

It was a good change tbh. Having a gun that tases and kills at the same time is ridiculous. HoS gets away with it because it's just one gun that needs to be recharged, but making these standard issue would be retarded.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #128135

Movespeed is too slow for tasers to be fair, especially 10 of them from a single gun.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128138

Somewhat off topic but we could look to making Energy Guns rare but powerful, so only the Captain, HoP and HoS have one, but replace the Eguns in the armoury and similar with Lasers or whatever.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128151

Well on retrospect that's stupid, it should be all or nothing.

However I'm more interested in what other's have to say then what I can spout on about.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #128154

I'm keen to see stuns reduced to the disabler effect but also causing your target to drop their weapon.

It would add value to taking the initiative (first hit) in combat, while also giving the losing party the chance to GTFO, with the risk of the second disabler hit slowing them.
Mime: Depresso
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #128159

TAZE & LAZE
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128160

Technically its easier to use a Taser to tase and then use a full Egun/Laser to lase them.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #128163

Disablers on the the eguns was a good change. Don't give them the ridiculous taser capacity they used to have.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #128172

It's one of the better weapon rebalances. You can no longer surprise stunlaser someone with a single weapon, as long as they respond quickly they have a chance to fight back.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128173

There's not much difference between stunning someone with a Energy Gun, then swapping to Laser mode and firing, than stunning someone with a Taser, then swapping to a Laser/Energy Gun and firing.

If anything its more efficent to use a Taser for stunning. If you use one Egun to Tase n Lase someone you'll expend the entire gun, yet if you use a Taser + Laser you'll still have four shots in your Taser and a empty Laser Gun.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #128179

It's absolutely different. You have an additional gun to manage and it takes a bit longer to laser them into crit
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128181

Its two sides of the same coin, there might be a second in time difference between the two methods but fundamentally the only critical difference between the two methods is that the Taser+Laser method gives you the advantage that your Stun and Laser ammo pools are independant of one another, meaning you have a guaranteed five taser and ten (or twelve) laser shots, however you do have to carry a additional gun which may or may not be prohibitive.

The classic egun combo of having Stun and Laser on one gun, while this gives the advantage of having more space to carry things, suffers from drawning ammo from the same pool. So in order to stun and crit someone you need six rounds in total, meaning at most you can crit one person or kill one person with one egun if you just use the gun.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #128182

needing 2 guns to do what 1 gun used to do adds more overhead to your inventory management while under the stress of trying to be robust, which can buy your opponent that tiniest of windows they need to dunk you
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #128183

if there is no difference there is no need to make a change.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #128186

Aren't we focussing on slowly phasing out taser shots instead of trying to re-add them...
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128189

firecage wrote:Aren't we focussing on slowly phasing out taser shots instead of trying to re-add them...
No, we're not. Paprika was aiming for that but he was never able to finish his work.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128199

Amusingly the original reason why the HoP was given a round start Energy Gun all those years ago was because HoP's would often just go and nab a Egun from the armoury at round start for protection, so it was decided to just give the HoP a gun at round start.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #128200

I'm kinda split on this.

Tasers are strong in their own right but I have no doubt that disablers are by far the "ezmode" of the two weapon types. It is/was easy to yakety sax tasers in an open hallway due to the obvious projectile and limited range. Now even the least robust players can spray their disabler down the hall and it's only a matter of time before you get run down.

The thing that clinches it for me is that disablers are ezmode but they chew through ammo, making them less effective against multiple enemies. Tasers are the "high efficiency" weapon and it makes some sense to keep them with security.

On the other hand, certain gametypes like Nukeops really, really, really punish people who don't grab a taser. I got my office raided very early one round by a half-assed stealth op, but noticed the disk moving almost immediately and caught up to the operative outside medbay. I start firing disablers, he starts firing bulldog rounds... you can guess how that ended.

Final vote: Meh, its alright as it is. It would be nice if the cap's locker gun was a parallel to the HOS's though (all 3 types enabled).
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128201

Buffing the Captain's Laser to have Disable and Stun would not be a bad thing, the only detriment I can see is it would perhaps make Captains' want to take it more often, but to be frank Captain's usually take the gun when things get heavy already so its not much of a difference.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #128207

It seems better to me. Now if someone wants to tase and lase, they have to actually go and get a taser.

Meanwhile, the disabler still has utility and is good for slowing people down. You also don't have to be as good a shot with it.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #128210

disablers are fun
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #128233

I would prefer a combat system where stuns were rare or nonexistent. Disablers were a step in the right direction.
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #128234

I would prefer a combat system where stuns were rare or nonexistent. Disablers were a step in the right direction.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #128252

We need stuns to take down those Assistants who steal your prisoner/baton/secway and then run away. I like the idea of a disabler shot forcing the target to drop their weapon, though - they can pick it back up, of course, but it's a nice little ministun.