Mice Eating Wires

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Mice Eating Wires

Post by Saegrimr » #131133

Bottom post of the previous page:

Is it really that hard to notice a red APC and say something about it?

It takes a long ass time for APCs to discharge.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #131142

You need insuls to repair APC wires or you get shocked and it isn't repaired. So the only reliable way to repair them is to get an engineer or cargo person to do it. Good luck with that.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #131149

Saegrimr wrote:Is it really that hard to notice a red APC and say something about it?

People only care about the state of an icon when it can be explicitly interpreted as relating to the game mode or an antagonist.

BSOD-Blue APC? MALF AI!
Red APC? Didn't even see it.

Power has gone out? Just call the shuttle and get ready to re-roll for antagonist! Wew lads, you're playing teegeestation thirteen!
Mime: Depresso
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #131746

Saegrimr wrote:Is it really that hard to notice a red APC and say something about it?

No one's saying anything about how hard stomping mice in maint. Any jerk off can do the 5 minute maint cruise to stomp a fucking mouse.

What I'm saying is 'Is it necessary to have this feature in the game?' or 'Is this feature an overall net benefit in immersion, fun, and the enjoyment of the game?'

Of which I haven't seen answered. Everyone's either saying 'Not too hard' or some weird people having a grudge against a job occupation of 'Ha! Engineers now have a random thing to sidetrack them because they 'do nothing' ' which is completely dodging the questions above.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #131747

TheWulfe wrote:What I'm saying is 'Is it necessary to have this feature in the game?' or 'Is this feature an overall net benefit in immersion, fun, and the enjoyment of the game?'
Rarely is this question asked of a new feature. If coderbus maintained such standards, then yes, you'd have a point.

It more seems to be "is this detrimental to the game?" than anything else. If not, merge.
Mime: Depresso
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #131749

I brought up concerns in the pr that it would just be a nuisance, but it got merged anyways.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #131811

Zilenan91 wrote:I brought up concerns in the pr that it would just be a nuisance, but it got merged anyways.
thats because no one cares about your opinion in particular zilenan91
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #131830

TheWulfe wrote:What I'm saying is 'Is it necessary to have this feature in the game?' or 'Is this feature an overall net benefit in immersion, fun, and the enjoyment of the game?'

Of which I haven't seen answered. Everyone's either saying 'Not too hard' or some weird people having a grudge against a job occupation of 'Ha! Engineers now have a random thing to sidetrack them because they 'do nothing' ' which is completely dodging the questions above.
You're refusing to look at this from any perspective BUT you own. That's why no one has answered your question in your eyes.

Mice chew wires. That can be a problem. But it's not an end all problem. Wires can be fixed. And wires can be traced.

Most security in tunnels will give people a hard time right now for being in the tunnels. Greytides still swarm and loot them, but with mice chewing wires antags and troublemakers have 2 excuses to be in the tunnels: To kill mice, and to fix wires. In both cases, their cause is to help the station and can throw off security suspicion.

Not only that, mice can now be used offensively. Almost all the main power lines to a particular department or area go right through maint tunnels. Any assistant can let you in, and certainly the clown can be bribed to get a locker load of mice and unleash them in the tunnels near that senstive wire. Science are being dicks and not making ripleys? Mice the wires. Shitcurity arresting the clown for slips? Mice the fucking wires.

"But Boxstation only has 2 sets of gloves!" Not entirely true, but yes insuls are hard to get on box if you refuse to cooperate with other players. That's just called being a dick. Even if the QM or CTs won't give you insuls, you can probably convince someone they do like to get you gloves. Like the miners. If that doesn't work, and engineers can't be arsed to do anything, find a cyborg or AI. They can let you in to engineering to get gloves. Still no gloves? Well with someone on the SMES units you don't even need gloves. Because you just tell the AI/Borg/who'se ever helping you to turn off output for 15 seconds so you can fix the wire and go back about your day.

And now your probably asking how does this help your murderbone? It doesn't, but antags never needed a buff or help when it came to killing people. It does give antags cover though since cut wires are less suspicious now and it's going to be super fucking easy to get gloves/tools/hardsuit now if all you have to do is PDA message an engineer/CE about a cut wire in maint somewhere and ambush their ass when they come to fix it.

TL;DR Stop bitching about minor challanges and attempts to flesh out the station cause you're too stupid to think outside the murderbox.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #131833

idk why you're so excited about letting loose a tonne of mice over specific wires like gathering all the mouse in the station is somehow easier than getting insulated gloves and a set of wirecutters (please noone figure out that the ones on the abandoned teleporter are really easy to get if you get a couple patches from medbay and some coffee those are mine)

also this toxic attitude where you either accuse everyone who disagrees with you of just wanting features to help murderbone/just want the station to be a big box of hugs where noone dies is really hurting discourse in not just this thread but basically every thread where something is apparently a big deal like mice eating wires

---

As for something more relevant to the topic at hand - a lot of people seem to be saying that this is good because it gives engineers something to do but the thing that they have to do now doesn't actually seem very difficult or interactive, just time consuming. I mean I don't play engineer so it doesn't really effect me at all but I imagine the people that do do it to go make autism forts or something interesting (???) as opposed to a bit of tedious busy work.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #131841

Davidchan wrote:Most security in tunnels will give people a hard time right now for being in the tunnels. Greytides still swarm and loot them, but with mice chewing wires antags and troublemakers have 2 excuses to be in the tunnels: To kill mice, and to fix wires. In both cases, their cause is to help the station and can throw off security suspicion.
Could you at least play the game before you pretend to know how things happen? Nobody gives a shit if someone is in maint if shit isn't going down.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #131845

I would beat an assistant in maint.

But then again, I would beat one in the hallways if I could get away with it.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #131848

I just want to have breeding mice because hey corgis do it and mice are in hidden from everyone corgi breeding conditions all the time. Also another thing to blame the janitor for.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #131856

callanrockslol wrote:
Davidchan wrote:Most security in tunnels will give people a hard time right now for being in the tunnels. Greytides still swarm and loot them, but with mice chewing wires antags and troublemakers have 2 excuses to be in the tunnels: To kill mice, and to fix wires. In both cases, their cause is to help the station and can throw off security suspicion.
Could you at least play the game before you pretend to know how things happen? Nobody gives a shit if someone is in maint if shit isn't going down.
I've actually seen it a lot where Security uses someone in maint tunnels to harass them, search them or just declare them to be gang/rev. Particularly in areas NEAR sensitive equipment such science tunnels or brig tunnels.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #131999

Davidchan wrote:

You're refusing to look at this from any perspective BUT you own. That's why no one has answered your question in your eyes.

Mice chew wires. That can be a problem. But it's not an end all problem. Wires can be fixed. And wires can be traced.

Most security in tunnels will give people a hard time right now for being in the tunnels. Greytides still swarm and loot them, but with mice chewing wires antags and troublemakers have 2 excuses to be in the tunnels: To kill mice, and to fix wires. In both cases, their cause is to help the station and can throw off security suspicion.

Not only that, mice can now be used offensively. Almost all the main power lines to a particular department or area go right through maint tunnels. Any assistant can let you in, and certainly the clown can be bribed to get a locker load of mice and unleash them in the tunnels near that senstive wire. Science are being dicks and not making ripleys? Mice the wires. Shitcurity arresting the clown for slips? Mice the fucking wires.

"But Boxstation only has 2 sets of gloves!" Not entirely true, but yes insuls are hard to get on box if you refuse to cooperate with other players. That's just called being a dick. Even if the QM or CTs won't give you insuls, you can probably convince someone they do like to get you gloves. Like the miners. If that doesn't work, and engineers can't be arsed to do anything, find a cyborg or AI. They can let you in to engineering to get gloves. Still no gloves? Well with someone on the SMES units you don't even need gloves. Because you just tell the AI/Borg/who'se ever helping you to turn off output for 15 seconds so you can fix the wire and go back about your day.

And now your probably asking how does this help your murderbone? It doesn't, but antags never needed a buff or help when it came to killing people. It does give antags cover though since cut wires are less suspicious now and it's going to be super fucking easy to get gloves/tools/hardsuit now if all you have to do is PDA message an engineer/CE about a cut wire in maint somewhere and ambush their ass when they come to fix it.

TL;DR Stop bitching about minor challanges and attempts to flesh out the station cause you're too stupid to think outside the murderbox.
Holy shit. I actually thought this was a parody post. You are actually reaching and trying so hard to play make believe to convince yourself that mice cutting wires have somehow revolutionized the gameplay experience of how people play the game.

It was a good laugh. Thank you.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #132208

Davidchan wrote:And now your probably asking how does this help your murderbone?
how the fuck did you go from mice chewing wires to accusing him of murderboning
also,
>implying murderbone is inherently bad

g e t g o o d
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #132400

Mice wire biting sucks
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #133474

Granted its a pain, but the mices loss is my gain, hopefully i can start a little farm out in the cold-room with captured mice and enjoy the benefits of rat-burgers for all.

> Dead wire biting mice = Another burger in my book. If you dont like it ask the AI nicely and do actual maintenance by replacing the batteries in APC's manually and upgrade stuff/Use endtech MRSPACMANS gridded up to the network as your own personal power station in R&D.

Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #133487

Thing is though, if you want to cut the power lines and just drop a dead mouse on it, it doesn't work because meta.
Just like how people say "there cannot be changelings this shift, there's a cult"
You can't use mice biting it as an excuse if they actually can't, because fuck you