The big map rotation poll

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Do you support the map rotation system? (Disregard map choices, weights, etc)

Poll ended at Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:46 am

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 42

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

The big map rotation poll

Post by Luke Cox » #132009

Since a few people who shall not be named won't shut the fuck up, here's a poll to settle the issue of map rotation. Are you satisfied with the map rotation system MSO implemented? Disregard things like map selection, weights, etc. as those can be changed easily within the current system
Last edited by Jordie0608 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed poll
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Re: The big map rotation poll

Post by WJohnston » #132010

You realize how skewed this poll is gonna be, right? One, this is on the forums, two, mainly the people who don't like it will vote here against it, and three, a minority screaming constantly is always gonna be present, and they will always be loud.

Go have a server poll made instead, and have it be announced majorly so everyone can know to vote for it.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #132011

WJohnston wrote:You realize how skewed this poll is gonna be, right? One, this is on the forums, two, mainly the people who don't like it will vote here against it, and three, a minority screaming constantly is always gonna be present, and they will always be loud.

Go have a server poll made instead, and have it be announced majorly so everyone can know to vote for it.
If anybody with the ability to make a server poll wants to do so, go ahead. The forums voted in favor of it in the first place. Judging by the fact that Box loses the map vote fairly regularly on Sybil, it's safe to say plenty of people want to play on something other than box once in a while. This poll exists to prove a point more than anything.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #132020

I'll make a server poll.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #132032

TGStation had been using Noize's map for 5 years now. After 5 years of iteration It's refined, it's balanced, it has an established metagame and protagonist and antagonist strategies. There is no way any map can compete with it. It is however also stale and boring and a new map could refresh the server, especially for old players.

I maintain that a unified experience across tgstation, with the ability to create play strategies and learn the map in detail, is an important thing for any community, which is why I generally dislike differentiation between the two servers.

I am however temporarily pro map rotation for a period of a few months. This is so players can familiarize themselves with all the maps and the map makers can get feedback and fix the most glaring issues. After this, I think the best performing map (hopefully not box) should be selected as the de jure tgstation map and be put as the only map on the tgstation servers. Then the process of refinement can properly begin.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #132034

LiamLime wrote:it has an established metagame and protagonist and antagonist strategies.
This is all the more reason to keep maps switching constantly.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #132045

Yeah lets keep only playing the same fucking map for another 5 years.

Wooo!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #132060

LiamLime wrote:TGStation had been using Noize's map for 5 years now. After 5 years of iteration It's refined, it's balanced, it has an established metagame and protagonist and antagonist strategies. There is no way any map can compete with it. It is however also stale and boring and a new map could refresh the server, especially for old players.

I maintain that a unified experience across tgstation, with the ability to create play strategies and learn the map in detail, is an important thing for any community, which is why I generally dislike differentiation between the two servers.

I am however temporarily pro map rotation for a period of a few months. This is so players can familiarize themselves with all the maps and the map makers can get feedback and fix the most glaring issues. After this, I think the best performing map (hopefully not box) should be selected as the de jure tgstation map and be put as the only map on the tgstation servers. Then the process of refinement can properly begin.
I disagree with this, the players will quickly settle on the map they figure is best anyway, since they choose via their preferences. There's no reason to mandate a single map ever. Besides, despite my initial reservations the other maps make a nice change of pace - as long as we don't have them too rounds in a row.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #132063

My only issue is the lack of ability to find a specific department in any timely fashion, even having to alt-tab over to a browser with the full station map up.

Those directional arrow signs were a good start when they were added but some of these maps have some really wonky main hallways.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #132076

Some of the maps are simply too large (asteroid, disk) to play on. Takes way too long to move around them. I like the rotation in general though.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #132078

Wasn't Ass a really old map redone? Like back with oldspeed in mind?

I think the bit of travel time isn't bad. It's frustrating but it gives antags a bit of time to escape after "HELP BEING MURDERED IN BOTANY".
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #132081

If you wanted to be amusing you could add public travelator's (moving walkway) down public hallways? Place switches on opposite ends to change direction or set it to one direction. This can allow for faster movement, but the hallway will have to be about four or five tiles wide.

Or you can have a public transit tube of sorts, like a taxi.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #132090

Saegrimr wrote:My only issue is the lack of ability to find a specific department in any timely fashion, even having to alt-tab over to a browser with the full station map up.

Those directional arrow signs were a good start when they were added but some of these maps have some really wonky main hallways.
it should be totally possible to have those maps you see in box arrivals clickable and bringing up a minimap of the station. somebody just has to code it.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #132091

That's what I said a few weeks ago.

There should be those maps you see in arrivals all around the station, maybe even have one loaded onto PDA's. This should make travel easier.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #132104

I dislike map rotation but I'm a boxxy for life type guy.
Maybe if the shit maps were removed it'd be better.
I play Boris Pepper.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #132109

I dislike it for one reason.
When it starts on Meta, it is on meta for 3-5 rounds.
When you have 5 rounds in a row on meta, it is less rotation, and more just META
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #132116

Helios. Welcome to randomness. The following is a sequence is random numbers.

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3,
Helios

Post by Helios » #132120

What's the point of voting on what map I prefer if it is random?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #132121

To give it better odds of being chosen randomly.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #132124

Helios. Let's put it like this. The map options are Map A and Map B. 90% of people vote for map A. 10% vote for Map B. Currently it is on Map A. There isn't a 100% chance for a map rotation to occur. The longer the round lasts, the longer the chance for a map rotation to occur. Now, even though Map B has 10% of the votes, there's always the chance for a bunch of rounds to have Map B in a row due to how randomness works.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #132129

WJohnston wrote:You realize how skewed this poll is gonna be, right? One, this is on the forums, two, mainly the people who don't like it will vote here against it, and three, a minority screaming constantly is always gonna be present, and they will always be loud.
Apparently not even that.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #132132

That sure is a lot of no votes.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #132138

i dont really like map rotation because of "muh bawx," though i'd be fine with a weighted system. one that just rotates regardless is something i dont like.

but dat aint nonna my bidness tho *sips tea*
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #132145

This is probably going to be immensely skewed because the main problem people have with map rotation is having shit/broken maps in the rotation with no QC or requirements to get into it in the first place, aside from 'has pressure'. Basically any map other than box/meta is unplayable dreck or a meme map.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #132151

There needs to be a standard to have your map put in rotation. Asteroid is one example where it's a good map bu there's so much missing or broken stuff. Medbay for instance has no IV stands or packs so it's easier to kill patients and clone them if they have ~50% blood volume. Buttons and air alarms in the wrong places, misnamed rooms, atmos bugs.

Second, there isn't a map rotation most of the time because admins will override it to go back to box.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #132161

"Disregard things like map selection, weights, etc. as those can be changed easily within the current system"

So basically this is a map rotation poll that has almost nothing to do with the problems with map rotation?

Map Selection and Weights are not something that can be "easily changed" unless your name also happens to be "MSO".
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #132163

DrPillzRedux wrote:There needs to be a standard to have your map put in rotation. Asteroid is one example where it's a good map bu there's so much missing or broken stuff. Medbay for instance has no IV stands or packs so it's easier to kill patients and clone them if they have ~50% blood volume. Buttons and air alarms in the wrong places, misnamed rooms, atmos bugs.

Second, there isn't a map rotation most of the time because admins will override it to go back to box.
That's why there is a feedback thread, so people can report this kind of stuff. The IV drips and packs were already added to the map.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #132165

Honestly map rotation would be fine if we limited it to meta/box and maybe the occasional meme map, but the other maps are so immensely broken, empty, unbalanced, or just plain bad design (asteroid, birdboat) to play, especially for maint-centric antagonists [cult, shadowling, changeling, blob] which roll on maps with ridiculous maintenance systems (e.g. dream). Heck, I don't think I've seen a blob lose on a non-box map thus far, unless they pop in the middle of the station, and even then.

Obviously, the IG and OOC poll here is going to come up positive, because the system isn't the problem - it's the maps and the nonexistent process/requirements to get into the rotation is.
Helios

Post by Helios » #132203

firecage wrote:Helios. Let's put it like this. The map options are Map A and Map B. 90% of people vote for map A. 10% vote for Map B. Currently it is on Map A. There isn't a 100% chance for a map rotation to occur. The longer the round lasts, the longer the chance for a map rotation to occur. Now, even though Map B has 10% of the votes, there's always the chance for a bunch of rounds to have Map B in a row due to how randomness works.
A lot of randomness in games aren't actually random.
Just because it can use random elements in it, doesn't mean it has to be full RNG.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #132209

idea: blacklist a map from being rolled if it's the current map
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #132212

Amelius wrote:Honestly map rotation would be fine if we limited it to meta/box and maybe the occasional meme map, but the other maps are so immensely broken, empty, unbalanced, or just plain bad design (asteroid, birdboat) to play, especially for maint-centric antagonists [cult, shadowling, changeling, blob] which roll on maps with ridiculous maintenance systems (e.g. dream). Heck, I don't think I've seen a blob lose on a non-box map thus far, unless they pop in the middle of the station, and even then.

Obviously, the IG and OOC poll here is going to come up positive, because the system isn't the problem - it's the maps and the nonexistent process/requirements to get into the rotation is.
This I can get behind. The options should be box, meta, and maybe two other maps that are weighted lower. Asteroid and Dream shouldn't even be in rotation imo.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #132214

Can we please blacklist the same map from being rolled again? We've had days where it's rolled nothing but box
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #132219

i think a system where it can roll again, but each consecutive roll decreases the odds of it being rolled the next round, would be ideal
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #132220

I think it was originally coded so it's more likely to roll the same map multiple times in a row (i.e. there was some additionally weighting on a map for being the one currently played) so that the playerbase has more opportunity to get used to it.
Helios

Post by Helios » #132233

PKPenguin321 wrote:i think a system where it can roll again, but each consecutive roll decreases the odds of it being rolled the next round, would be ideal
I'd also like the chance to get to 0. Not to 1%
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #132260

Kor wrote:Some of the maps are simply too large (asteroid, disk) to play on. Takes way too long to move around them. I like the rotation in general though.
It's just a raw contrast but I'd refer you to these rough comparison about map sizes.
Amelius wrote:This is probably going to be immensely skewed because the main problem people have with map rotation is having shit/broken maps in the rotation with no QC or requirements to get into it in the first place, aside from 'has pressure'. Basically any map other than box/meta is unplayable dreck or a meme map.
Oldman Robustin wrote:"Disregard things like map selection, weights, etc. as those can be changed easily within the current system"
Amelius wrote:Obviously, the IG and OOC poll here is going to come up positive, because the system isn't the problem - it's the maps and the nonexistent process/requirements to get into the rotation is.
We're going to do opinion polls for each of the maps once this one finishes. We're also probably going to end it early if the outcome becomes clear. And maybe once it's done people will stop whining about the map rotation system as a way to complain about the maps they don't like and instead go and post their feedback to the mappers themselves.
Oldman Robustin wrote:Map Selection and Weights are not something that can be "easily changed" unless your name also happens to be "MSO".
Map rotation is done from a config, any of the ~7 people with remote can easily edit it.
iamgoofball wrote:idea: blacklist a map from being rolled if it's the current map
PKPenguin321 wrote:i think a system where it can roll again, but each consecutive roll decreases the odds of it being rolled the next round, would be ideal
This would be nice and is very possible.
newfren wrote:I think it was originally coded so it's more likely to roll the same map multiple times in a row (i.e. there was some additionally weighting on a map for being the one currently played) so that the playerbase has more opportunity to get used to it.
Not the case, I'm not sure where you got this idea.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #132311

iamgoofball wrote:idea: blacklist a map from being rolled if it's the current map
Idea: force us to play less Box even if people want to play it. Force us to play meme maps.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #132312

Jordie0608 wrote: And maybe once it's done people will stop whining about the map rotation system as a way to complain about the maps they don't like and instead go and post their feedback to the mappers themselves.
Any amount of feedback won't make a shit map into a good map. Meta has potential, esp. since Metacide is moving tcomms (I think?) and it's definitely playable as-is, but Ass and Birdboat especially have glaring structural issues that cannot be solved, but were put into rotation way before even being vaguely complete, let alone having workable layouts for our suite of gamemodes.

The latter especially should never have even made it into the rotation in the first place. Yet it did.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #132323

Amelius wrote:
Jordie0608 wrote: And maybe once it's done people will stop whining about the map rotation system as a way to complain about the maps they don't like and instead go and post their feedback to the mappers themselves.
Any amount of feedback won't make a shit map into a good map. Meta has potential, esp. since Metacide is moving tcomms (I think?) and it's definitely playable as-is, but Ass and Birdboat especially have glaring structural issues that cannot be solved, but were put into rotation way before even being vaguely complete, let alone having workable layouts for our suite of gamemodes.

The latter especially should never have even made it into the rotation in the first place. Yet it did.
Everyone keeps shouting that assteroid has glaring un-solvable issues. but NO ONE I have asked (and yes I asked a lot) has EVER told me what they are.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #132365

I have removed the default vote for box station.

All maps (including box) have the same vote weighting, but box station has to be actually selected by players now, its not assumed.

I'll re-add box station as a default in a week, hopefully players will have a better idea of what maps they like then and the votes will spread out.

Another note, a map has to have at least one vote (default or not) to qualify for rotate. Regardless of vote weighting

Some finer details as to how map rotation works:

It tallies everybody's votes into a list of map = number_of_votes. (ignoring votes for maps that don't exist, are disabled, or don't meet the maps population requirements)
It then weights the votes by each maps vote weight config (this allows us to make votes for certain maps count for more or less, not currently, but it is planned to start deprioritizing maps with issues as a motivation to fix them)
Then it picks a random number between 1 and the total number of final votes
Then it goes thru the list of maps and their vote counts, subtracting the number of votes from the random number until that number is 0 or less, the map that put it to 0 or less is the chosen map.
(The order of maps in that list is the order of when it first saw a vote for that map)

The more votes a map has, the more likely it is to drive that random number to 0
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #133337

Do we have results for the server poll yet?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #133663

Yes. 177
No. 49
Abstain. 13
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #133751

They're never gonna spread out because most people barely touch their prefs, it needs to be an active decision you're forced to take once after x weeks of play.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #133824

oranges wrote:They're never gonna spread out because most people barely touch their prefs, it needs to be an active decision you're forced to take once after x weeks of play.
> once

we should make it something that shows up daily.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #133965

that's just annoying