About mutant races

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

About mutant races

Post by InsaneHyena » #133835

/tg/ without liggers has been a wonderful experience for me so far. Can we keep it that way?
Bring back papercult.

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: About mutant races

Post by TheNightingale » #133844

Is it that hard not to say the n-word that you resort to saying "ligger" instead?
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #133847

nigger nigger nigger fuck liggers gas the kikes.
this topic is a meme.
lizards add more roleplay.
I play Boris Pepper.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #133848

Bluespace is being Bluespace, Nighingale is being tumblr, Hyena is disgustingly human and I fully expect the glorious reptilian master race to be back shortly.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #133869

Lizards are a meme.

But a good meme.

All you sluts crying about lizards are probably just assblasted that a lizard dunked them once
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #133873

Lizards are fine considering they're restricted from certain Jobs and lose Silicon protection. They're a ok side race to Humans and they don't appear in the majority.

Plasmamen will be acceptable since there are massive drawbacks to playing as one, most likely making them very rare to be seen on station.

Anything else would be too much in my opinion. The game should focus primarily on Humans with one ancillary race on the side, in this case Lizards. PMen get away with it due to them likely being just a footnote.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #133932

i actually agree with OP
i can't say exactly why but it just feels like there's more going on in the game now
probably because every round there's at least one retarded confrontation that is "wow you are a lizard/human you are not my race fuck you," but now that lizards are gone that's not really a thing any more
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #133936

Perhaps the problem with that was that our playerbase is retarded and thinks that being racist will earn them friends.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133938

Punishing extreme racism I guess, and by that I mean knowingly treating people like shit because of cosmetics. Nobody cares about passive aggressive ligger mentions, but doing things that will actively fuck over players rounds like locking them in cryo tubes full of morphine or jumping them in the bar or randomly demoting them to assistant for minor transgressions because they got scales should be punished more harshly.

Then again, I've had all of these things happen to me so maybe I'm a bit salty, but none of these should be okay.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #133952

InsaneHyena wrote:/tg/ without liggers has been a wonderful experience for me so far. Can we keep it that way?
There are cat people now though, which are infinitely worse than lizards ever could possibly be. Lizards are cool.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #133975

i want more mutents
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #133987

No.

Lizards add variety, and Plasmamen are hardmode.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #133991

Lizards are fine.

Plasmamen are contrived quasi-job. Also stolen from other servers, modified slightly. Say no to Plasmamen.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #134015

Plasmamen are an intriguing addition, and actually look mechanically different, which suggests they're a better sort of lizard.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #134016

The obvious solution is to make lizards mechanically different.

#racialtraits2015

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #134033

Lizards should be able to shed their tails to distract pursuers
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #134036

Lizards should wag when they move on run intent, and be able to detatch their tails at will that will slip people who run over it.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #134039

just do *wag if you want your tail to wag.
私は完璧
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #134044

It makes sense though.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #134045

But what if I only want to wag once?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #134050

Then you best check your wag privilege.

a correct post by pillz
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #134055

Adios lizards
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #134057

Maybe lizards could be like that one species that can rupture its own blood vessels and spray blood out of its eyes.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #134067

Remove Lizards, remove Humans, remove Silicons. We Plasmaman station now

On a more serious sidenote, I think xenobiology should have more ability to convert willing (and unwilling) crewmembers into other mutant races with the upsides/downsides that come with them. They can already do that with slimepeople but xenobiology is pretty uninvolved with the station when compared to the other science departments like RnD and Robotics
An example of a mutant race they can convert others to is Shadowpeople (not shadowlings that would be too funoverpowered) who'll probably be most popular when all the lights blow and nobody can be bothered to fix them, or, used by a murderous xenobiologist to kill someone in broad fluorescent light and/or convince everyone they're a Sling and let the grey lynch mob chase them for their valids
I would probably keep the antag races out of the list of mutant races since that would make things too blurry, it already get's fairly confusing with xenobio Changelings.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #134083

I don't know if xenobio should be able to turn people into plasmamen because they wouldn't like, suddenly grow an environment suit or anything.
You can say that would be intended but it would probably end up being fairly undesirable.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #134088

Well you'd grab a spare/print a suit off/get one from a vendor or what-have-you and put one on before doing the conversion if you wanted to be one, the suits aren't injection-proof so no need to worry about that and you're an idiot if you didn't grab a tank of plasma from atmospherics/toxins. And it'd be a pretty impressive way to kill someone if you were someone less-than-wholesome.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #134169

Can we just remove humans?

ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵖᵒˢᵗ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵖᵒᶰˢᵒʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴹᶦᶜʳᵒˢᵒᶠᵗ'ˢ ᵂᶦᶰᵈᵒʷˢ 10™

a correct post by pillz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #134177

DrPillzRedux wrote:Can we just remove humans?

ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵖᵒˢᵗ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵖᵒᶰˢᵒʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴹᶦᶜʳᵒˢᵒᶠᵗ'ˢ ᵂᶦᶰᵈᵒʷˢ 10™
probably not because humans have the ez majority rule
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #134270

Lizards can be reenabled without any issue now on sybil (and bagil if it updates) by readding:

Code: Select all

JOIN_WITH_MUTANT_RACE
To game_options.txt

If you want to be fancy you could also add:

Code: Select all

## Roundstart Races
##-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
## Uncommenting races will allow them to be choosen at roundstart while join_with_muntant_race is on

## Disabling humans is possible but a bit buggy. Some code relies on the notion that white people exist in space.
ROUNDSTART_RACES human

## Races that are strictly worse than humans that could probably be turned on without balance concerns
ROUNDSTART_RACES lizard
#ROUNDSTART_RACES fly
#ROUNDSTART_RACES plasmaman
#ROUNDSTART_RACES shadow
#ROUNDSTART_RACES shadowling

## Races that are better than humans in some ways, but worse in others
#ROUNDSTART_RACES jelly
#ROUNDSTART_RACES golem
#ROUNDSTART_RACES adamantine
#ROUNDSTART_RACES abductor

## Races that are straight upgrades. If these are on expect powergamers to always pick them
#ROUNDSTART_RACES skeleton
#ROUNDSTART_RACES zombie
#ROUNDSTART_RACES slime
#ROUNDSTART_RACES pod
##-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To game_options.txt for future shenanigans.

And no this doesn't mean plasmamen are fixed, just that races are now properly separable so lizards can be on while plasmamen are off.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #134283

Jacquerel wrote:Maybe lizards could be like that one species that can rupture its own blood vessels and spray blood out of its eyes.
Nah, just code in dismemberment and let them have a random chance for a bite attack that guarantees limb removal.

Then laugh if it hits the groin.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #134285

#ROUNDSTART_RACES fly
Admins, you know what to do.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #134462

DemonFiren wrote:
Jacquerel wrote:Maybe lizards could be like that one species that can rupture its own blood vessels and spray blood out of its eyes.
Nah, just code in dismemberment and let them have a random chance for a bite attack that guarantees limb removal.

Then laugh if it hits the groin.
I looked at making lizard tails their own separate limb, but the code appears to be balanced around having four limbs, a chest and a head.

changing that might have a lot of unintended effects on gameplay......or not
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #134473

All you'd have to do is automatically do what Pete did when he removed hands and feet, move the damage/health values around, probably a species datum proc, setup_limbs() or something.

eg, I'd knock 5 off of arms and legs (75 -> 70) which makes 20 damage there, and maybe leave it there, giving lizards a (weak) but extra limb.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #134474

Outside of Dismemberment somehow being finished the addition of a extra limb for Lizard's won't be any balance issue.

Hmm, well it depends if the tail is covered by armour or not. Could be a minor weak spot.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #134566

With the impending addition of plasmamen, I feel like lizards should have a few weaknesses in addition to being nonhuman. Not as extreme as plasmamen, but still present. Perhaps they should be more vulnerable to cold, or something along those lines.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #134569

They already get shit on by everyone harder than plasmamen ever will, and they can't hulk.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #134768

lizards should have to sun themselves in the holodeck every so often

which places them in convenient position for plasma gas
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #134778

bandit wrote:lizards should have to sun themselves in the holodeck every so often

which places them in convenient position for plasma gas
And vulnerable to malpractice surgery with the new medical program
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #134831

666 kill em all

scales = into the ovens
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #134841

DemonFiren wrote:They already get shit on by everyone harder than plasmamen ever will, and they can't hulk.
Nice try, filthy ligger
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #134903

Well lizard players are complaining about being shit on due to lizard in policy threads. Guess it's time to disable.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #134907

palpatine213 wrote:Well lizard players are complaining about being shit on due to lizard in policy threads. Guess it's time to disable.
Replace them with Skellingtons fam
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #134909

We will spook the degeneracy out
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #134924

The whole point of shitting on lizards is to discourage people from trying to be special snowflakes, and it's the only thing going against them other than nonhuman status.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #134925

If someone is being a special snowflake (something we don't really have a problem with currently) then call them on their shit in OOC or after the round if they're being annoyingly snowflakey. One of two things will happen, they'll cut it out or they'll keep doing it and get ridiculed until they stop.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #134971

Honest to god, one of the hardest things about getting people to open up to the idea of Plasmamen was the fact that lizards had made such a poor first impression as nonhumans. It's too bad, because nonhuman races are very cool, and add variety and roleplay potential. If people are interested, and like what I've done with Plasmamen regarding racial traits and drawbacks, I would be happy to try and tackle lizardpeople next. By giving them a few cool traits in exchange for a slew of drawbacks, they'd be brought into line with Plasmamen, so to speak. I think this would potentially fix a lot of the problems that people are upset about right now, where they're basically reskinned humans with a motive to start race wars built in, and are typically played by people who want to meme and start fights. If they were made to be more of a "hardmode" as Plasmamen are, the people who still really love lizards would still play them, less shitters would be drawn to them, and you'd likely see less of them as well as less "race war" type activity aboard the station - not to mention the roleplay opportunities that playing a functionally different race would bring.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #134972

I just can't understand why anybody would oppose Plasmamen. They are objectively a total pain in the ass to play. They are hardmode.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #134984

I just want to watch someone try to ERP with a plasmaman, forgetting its a plasmaman, and fucking ignite eachother once the jumpsuit comes off.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #134985

Saegrimr wrote:I just want to watch someone try to ERP with a plasmaman, forgetting its a plasmaman, and fucking ignite eachother once the jumpsuit comes off.
These are the flames of my passion.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #134997

I believe that lizards/cat-people are hated because people associate them with "furry" fetish communities, which are viewed in a negative light themselves. It is an extension of the behavior found in high and middle school children, who ostracize the others based on traits or preferences that differ from their own. As this practice is not openly tolerated in real world public space, the opportunity to express a modified version of the behavior is present here in this community; An opportunity that is used as frequently as possible.

Plasmamen, on the other hand, have no such associations. Furthermore, flaming skeletons are much more accepted as masculine and 'cool' than lizards or cat-people. I expect their addition to be well met once any balance issues are ironed out.