Catpeople

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Catpeople

Post by rdght91 » #134964

Seriously, it just doesn't jive with the feel of the station at all and serves no gameplay purpose but making stealth traitors even more rare than they already are. If we're going to have it, they need to be non-sec/command staff only and treated by the AI as non-humans (the status of which is also totally unclear). If for some reason people REALLY wanna do it, just add costume items to a few places in maint.

Lizards work because they're ACTUALLY a race and kinda contribute to the feel of the station as the dregs of space society. The cat thing just makes no sense.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Re: Catpeople

Post by Sweaterkittens » #134966

If I'm not misinformed, I do believe they suffer the penalties of being a "mutant race", and therefore are restricted from command roles as well as being considered non-human by silicons. I just don't think there's been much of any formal policy discussion regarding the latter, but I do believe that is the case.

If I may play devil's advocate, let me offer a few points in defense. The first is that anything new will get used quite a bit more right after it's released. It was/is the same way with Plasmamen, in that the first round they were enabled, a significant amount of players chose it. However that's not indicative of how many you'll see on average, once the initial excitement dies down. I have a strong feeling that it will be the same way with catpeople. Even just watching it over the course of a few days I've noticed a dramatic decline.

From a IC standpoint, 500 years in the future it's pretty likely that genetic modification would be commonplace or at least easily accessible. I would bet you real money that people are going to be making themselves catboys and girls as soon as that technology is available. That aside, from an OOC standpoint, this game is already... uh... "wacky", for lack of a better word. We have some more serious stuff, we have death and murder and violence, but we also have a corgi that's a mascot, clowns and mimes somehow employed on a top-secret paramilitary research station, wizards in SPAAAAAAAACE, and all sorts of other goofy shit. Yes, catpeople are /extra/ silly, but there it is.

I don't use cat ears, I personally don't like them, but if they're fun for other people, they're really not hurting anything. There's a lot of animosity in this community towards things that don't really affect the game, and there would be a lot less hostility here if we just cut each other some slack sometimes. If it starts seriously affecting gameplay I'll be right there with you asking them to be tweaked, but as they are now, let them have their fun.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #134978

Wait can people actually choose to be a cat now? Thought this was admin toggle only still.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #134982

Saegrimr wrote:Wait can people actually choose to be a cat now? Thought this was admin toggle only still.
There were enabled briefly while lizards were disabled, they're gone again.

Admins still hand it out to people who pray most of the time though
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #134983

I now feel incredibly silly for my lengthy reply now that I know they're gone. This is what happens when I don't play for a few days ;_;
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #134989

Sweaterkittens wrote:I now feel incredibly silly for my lengthy reply now that I know they're gone. This is what happens when I don't play for a few days ;_;
Kor wrote:Admins still hand it out to people who pray most of the time though
your points still stand.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #134991

Lizard people I can tolerate as a Race since firstly their the only (currently) non-admin only selectable race andsecondly that they at least look somewhat alien like.

Catpeople are shit tier, they don't resemble anything alien looking at all and are more a sterotype of shitty ERP servers I occasionally see stories posted about on 4chan or digg SS13 threads.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #134993

As a (former) AI player, I can tell you that trying to consider a cat-person as non-human is a terrible idea. It is for the same reason you do not door-crush someone with an arm blade; You cannot tell if it is real or not. It is fine if one of your borgs confirms for you via examination, but if that information is not present, treat them as human. I love nekomimi, and enjoy having them present even if I would not play one myself. Still, as an AI, do not treat a cat-person any differently, because it might just be an MD with the cat-ears item.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #134994

If they're wearing headgear and have a tail, you know it can't be the fake cat ears, since they go on your head. Even so, you can't kill them just because they're nonhuman.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #134998

TheNightingale wrote:If they're wearing headgear and have a tail, you know it can't be the fake cat ears, since they go on your head. Even so, you can't kill them just because they're nonhuman.
I am referencing situations in which a silicon is permitted (law 3, for example) or required (laws 1 and 2) to harm or kill a non-human. I have had a wizard break into my chamber before, wearing the hardsuit, and I kept him stunned until he spoke and confirmed his lizard status, allowing me to laser him.

A valid kill for a human player is also a valid kill for an AI under Asimov if non-human status can be confirmed by the AI or slaved borgs.
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #135003

I always see them in command roles seemingly more often than anywhere else, so I don't know what's up with that. And like the AI player said, it NEVER actually changes their human status in practice because it's not as obvious as being a lizard.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #135005

I thought the whole point of purrbation was to be insta-valid no matter what, which is the only current way to get catpeople?
I mean, an admin toggling it even tells the victim

Code: Select all

H << "You suddenly feel valid."
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #135015

Purrbation is the way 100% of catpeople players get their cat mutant parts, because the bug that let them spawn was patched, and once they've spawned they already have their role.

For example if I was to play Sibyl, I'd be in my usual HoP role, but if I prayed for Purrbation (or did it myself) I'd be a HoP Catperson, something that normally can't happen but does primarily because the config is turned off and I had to pray/VV myself midround.

Turning the config on would mean that admins wouldn't have to purrbation people (it'd go back to it's original purpose as a PUNISHMENT) and catpeople wouldn't show up in command roles (which they're intentionally locked from)
私は完璧
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #135026

It would also mean you'd have a hard time figuring out which cats to valid.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #135027

DemonFiren wrote:It would also mean you'd have a hard time figuring out which cats to valid.
None of them, Purrbation is punishment enough to those who don't want it.
and a gift to those who do.
私は完璧
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #135039

Cat people aren't just locked from command roles. The config locks them from any non civilian job. So they are far more restricted than any other race.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #135041

meow meow meow
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #135044

palpatine213 wrote:Cat people aren't just locked from command roles. The config locks them from any non civilian job. So they are far more restricted than any other race.
I don't know what the deal is but I've commonly seen at least one head be a catperson seemingly more often than not.

All it really does is ruin disguises. I don't understand why people really want it, but at least if we just make them items you can attach to your uniform they can be worn to impersonate them.
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #135067

Free my nigga cat folk and put their restrictions on liggers. (Or, you know. Turn liggers off again.)
lol
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #135077

No, no, no, enslave the genetrash and free the glorious reptilian master race.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #135114

to be honest catpeople were better than lizards
maybe it was because even if you had ears you were still pretty much the same race so the whole 'racism rp' garbage wasn't as prominent
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #135127

So are cat people valid yes or no

Either way, from a completely objective standpoint, cat people are fucking awful. They're humans with a few extra parts, and because they look so similar it's incredibly hard to differentiate if you're killing a non-human or a regular human as a silicon if you're being rushed in any way. The ears/tail are just so small.

Also, if people are praying to be cat people in head positions, can people theoretically pray to be a lizard in head positions or would it not work that way.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #135143

nekos are anime
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #135146

Zilenan91 wrote: Also, if people are praying to be cat people in head positions, can people theoretically pray to be a lizard in head positions or would it not work that way.
race job restrictions happen at spawn, and only at spawn.
so whether you get to be Captain Miles Scales of the 51st battalion of Snowflake is down to the admin who answers (or ignores) your prayer.
私は完璧
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135147

I'd totally be the guy who goes Captain just to pray for lizard and be absolutely worthless outside of memes
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135158

So are catpeople valid
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #135172

No
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #135178

Force them to speak in scat like the hep cats they are deedoopdoobeedoobop.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #135251

Saegrimr wrote:No
It's a punishment role which literally tells the recipient they're valid, saeg.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #135252

I think the "You suddenly feel valid" thing is a joke. Being inherently valid to kill FNR for having cat ears is silly, and nobody with common sense would actually take it seriously.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135258

So yeah I'm just gonna go with them being valid because there's so much confusion.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #135260

Saegrimr wrote:No
Agreed
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #135264

It's hardcoded that they valid though. And other admins agree with this meaning without a headmin ruling, different admins are going to judge it differently and someone getting banned for validing a catperson with one admin and another admins saying it's ok, is shit. Headmin ruling pls.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #135285

>zilenan arguing he should be able to kill cat people literally fnr after making threads saying its unfair that borgs can kill lizards

Nice

>theres so much confusion so I'll err on the side of killing other players for zero provocation while not antag

Keep it up man

>one admin saying its okay

Dorisdwarf isnt even an admin though
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135290

To be fair most of what I said in OOC about catpeople wasn't serious, and I'm surprised the issue of them being valid or not hasn't been brought up until now with how they're hardcoded to get that message. It was inevitable for someone to just randomly kill catsec or Dante or whatever since they get put on purrbation every round, so I pushed the issue.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #135291

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:It's a punishment role which literally tells the recipient they're valid, saeg.
NikNakFlak wrote:It's hardcoded that they valid though.
usr << "Put [H] on purrbation."
H << "You suddenly feel valid."

Holy shit you're right.
I was just going with "No" because Zilenan was being a big baby about it and digging for any reason to get his valids on like one of two people who ever ask for it and actually attempt to roleplay.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135292

I'm not the valid type, I don't go out and hunt people for no reason. I brought it up in OOC and here to get some kind of resolution about it before it became a problem.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #135296

NikNakFlak wrote:It's hardcoded that they valid though.
The seperation bewteen the server and the codebase is absolute.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #135305

zilenan is literally a retarded
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135309

Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #135310

TheNightingale wrote:I think the "You suddenly feel valid" thing is a joke. Being inherently valid to kill FNR for having cat ears is silly, and nobody with common sense would actually take it seriously.
As above. If the "You suddenly feel valid" is meant sincerely, we need to take a good look at that code and see if it's something we want to keep around. Whatever happened to moving away from the valid playstyle?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #135311

Are people forgetting they were added primarily to showcase the mutantpart system, and secondarily as a joke?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135312

I mean, I dunno about you, but it must suck to ask to be put on purrbation only to get instantly murdered by someone. This needs clarification.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #135314

Zilenan91 wrote:I mean, I dunno about you, but it must suck to ask to be put on purrbation only to get instantly murdered by someone. This needs clarification.
"I asked to be made valid and then someone killed me"

????????????????????????????????
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135315

Have you read the thread? There's a lot of confusion and differing statements on whether or not they're actually valid, and also no headmin statement for clarification.

I wouldn't mind if they were valid, to be honest, since catpeople are FAR more of a blizzard than lizards are, and it's also really hard to see the tail and ear sprites sometimes.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #135321

The entire concept of catpeople being "le valid xdd" is from hippie in the first place, which if you're the kind of person who has to run around trying to nitpick stupid reasons to kill people over to have any semblance of fun, is the perfect place for you to go. If admins want to mark someone as valid they'll set their maptext to valid or say it via a command report, there's no reason for us to steal some shitty meme from another server that directly represents the type of playstyle we don't want here.

I've literally never seen an issue pop up with cat people in game, not a single time. Why exactly would we want to suddenly screw over the people who enjoy catpeople as-is just to sate the shitty bloodlust of greyshirt validhunters that we don't even want here in the first place?

Edit: Not aiming this at anyone specific, just tired of the people who run around saying "cat people are valid" is already law because of how some other server handles things
Last edited by Shaps-cloud on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135322

I don't want to screw people over for no reason. Literally the only reason I've brought it up so that there aren't problems in the future. There needs to be clarification or there WILL be problems down the road.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #135390

I'm talking about tsaricide, kor. Not Dorisdwarf.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #135393

Tsaricide hasn't posted in this thread...
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #135460

The part of the community that bothered to post in the PR was split 50/50 among whether or not the PR should be merged. That is why I personally advocated to keep them as a "joke" option for admins, with a config option that would default to off. To make it easy for admins to use the joke, I added the "Toggle Purrbation" button. It was intended to be used on shitlers to declare them valid. I didn't really expect the button to be used on request, I probably was a bit daft at the time.

Anyway... That's still how catpeople seem to be used on this server: as a joke. And until the opinion of the community changes about them, it should stay that way.

The button could really use a better name though, Or better yet, a window that lets admins edit any of your accessory bodyparts.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem