Rev and communication

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Rev and communication

Post by Luke Cox » #142052

Revs are the only team antag that doesn't have some form of global communication. If gang bosses can send out orders via gang tools, revs should be able to as well.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Re: Rev and communication

Post by newfren » #142057

I mean if it's going well enough revs can just use common.

They spam converts so fast that they don't really need the communication buff to work like gang does - either you're in the early game and you have to quietly dunk a head when you see another couple of revs floating nearby or you're in the late game and can shout "CE FUCKING AROUND IN SPACE NEAR AFT PORT SOLARS" by which time he's fucked off again.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #142062

i agree. gangs are smaller than revolutions, and rely less on critical mass and more on communication. revs don't really need communications most times, besides common. the fact that revs can convert a whole room in like 5 seconds means that they are far more blitzkrieg based than the much slower gang buildup. all you really have to do is group up and roam as revs, and just act together.

part of the tradeoff of rev is that it's not stealthy past a certain point because they can't communicate really without shouting over common, adding a secret, un-interceptable comm system would just be a flat buff and i don't really think rev needs a flat buff.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #142069

Rev needs this not.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #142073

The whole point of Rev is a bunch of people using whatever they can steal and scrounge together to over throw the Security and Command staff.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #142074

Flash
"Set your headset to 145.7"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #142095

I'd support this if Revs weren't already steamrolling.

I think taking the AI off department channels (has this been done yet?) is a better compromise. Helps reduce validhunter AI's and lets gangs/revs use certain department radios to communicate once they've off'd the department head.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #142124

Taking the AI off department comms is just a huge nerf to AIs in general. They can achieve it through intercoms anyway, so it's just a skill-gate that not everyone has. Revolutions do well enough already.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #142135

Revs do not really have a need for communication, do they? They spread faster than a virus, and reach a point where they can openly communicate without fear, as Sec is too busy mounting a defense against the greytide. But yes, if they want to be tactical, telling each convert to use a different radio channel is optimal.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #142138

TheNightingale wrote:Taking the AI off department comms is just a huge nerf to AIs in general. They can achieve it through intercoms anyway, so it's just a skill-gate that not everyone has. Revolutions do well enough already.
Intercoms were an absolutely fair middle ground.

It required a lot of effort from the AI and you had to micromanage the 3 intercoms so that you didn't blurt out security secrets into common radio.

AI -NEEDS- a huge nerf. It's the fucking living symbol of power creep in SS13. AI gets several buffs a year and when someone tries to bring us back to a time where the AI didn't decide the outcome of almost every round, people whine about it being a "HUGE NERF" when its usually just a reversion to some bullshit AI got in the last few years.

Forcing AI to WORK for dept. radio monitoring was acceptable. AI wouldn't just randomly tune in to most depts. without a really compelling reason, and the game was better that way.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #142142

I was floating this idea around in my head earlier.

Start revheads with syndiekeys.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #142188

Keep in mind that this communication would be one-way, just like gang heads. It would still be pretty limited.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #143200

Oldman Robustin wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:Taking the AI off department comms is just a huge nerf to AIs in general. They can achieve it through intercoms anyway, so it's just a skill-gate that not everyone has. Revolutions do well enough already.
Intercoms were an absolutely fair middle ground.

It required a lot of effort from the AI and you had to micromanage the 3 intercoms so that you didn't blurt out security secrets into common radio.

AI -NEEDS- a huge nerf. It's the fucking living symbol of power creep in SS13. AI gets several buffs a year and when someone tries to bring us back to a time where the AI didn't decide the outcome of almost every round, people whine about it being a "HUGE NERF" when its usually just a reversion to some bullshit AI got in the last few years.

Forcing AI to WORK for dept. radio monitoring was acceptable. AI wouldn't just randomly tune in to most depts. without a really compelling reason, and the game was better that way.
The captain has access to every department radio too. He also has a gun and the authority to execute anyone that needs executing.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #143231

That energy gun is for defence! The one in the cabinet doesn't even have a key!

Also, while the captain can certainly go and grab radios from all departments, he only has access to command, security, and common channels in his normal headset.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #143233

The Captain has access to all department comms, but only Command and Security are enabled by default. Activate your headset (click-drag it to your sprite) and you can turn on the other channels too.

Remember, AIs are completely bound by their laws - so if you want the AI on your side as a revolutionary, change the laws. (It's easier than it sounds - you can do it with x-ray and telekinesis.)
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #143261

Steelpoint wrote:The whole point of Rev is a bunch of people using whatever they can steal and scrounge together to over throw the Security and Command staff.
This. Don't try to blend all team modes. Revolution is decentralized by design.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #143266

It's nice to have a game mode where there's only one gadget, the converter. And even then, flashes are fairly common.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #143272

Not required, Rev is basically a free win if you have like 3-4 robust people on the rev side. Just sheer weight of numbers usually carries it as well as heads getting bored or being stupid and leaving brig fort.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #143322

I don't really see why revs need special communication considering how quick they become the majority.

*Maybe* revheads can get station-bounced radios on a random frequency by default but secret comms are unnecessary and pointless